ADVERTISEMENT

Smilin’ Mike looking again........

I see Smilin’ Mike is interested in another college coaching gig! Univ San Antonio Texas. Not sure how to do a link to the story but this may get you there:
https://www.expressnews.com/sports/...onio-Commanders-coach-Mike-Riley-14882832.php

Amazing!
He coached a team in San Antonio that was attached to the WLAF in the early 1990s, and had kept a home in the Texas Hill Country/San Antonio vicinity ever since (near New Braunfels, I believe). Makes since to me that he'd apply.

Reactions: Red I 73
Do you really think riley put forth the effort necessary to win here? Everyone prefers winning over losing. That means nothing.
What I do know is that 1) Riley clearly wasn't the right fit, 2) many a Husker fan equate winning football games to being a decent human being, and, since Riley didn't win, he is a terrible person, and 3) many folks seem to think they know how he really ran things, despite being nowhere near the program.

What I do know is that 1) Riley clearly wasn't the right fit, 2) many a Husker fan equate winning football games to being a decent human being, and, since Riley didn't win, he is a terrible person, and 3) many folks seem to think they know how he really ran things, despite being nowhere near the program.

Here is what I know...99% of the people I have met in my life are nice and decent people. So is Riley...why Husker fans pretended like he was Mother Theresa is a mystery

"Dee, do you think I should cash another lotto ticket? You do? Okay, hold on...Yeah, Mr. AD of USAT...looks like me and Dee are on board for one last final last final last adventure...also...can you just wire the money directly to my Beaver Bank in Corvallis"

Beaver Bank :D made me laugh.

My 2 cents. Coaches are competitive, its in their blood. Probs just can't give it up. Great guy, but for whatever reason he is just a 500 guy. Still wish him the best, but glad he isn't here.

Reactions: bshirt73
1) Do you honestly think he didn't try and win at Nebraska?

2) If Frost gets canned in a year or two, are you going to have the same attitude about him?
I blame Riley for being a shitty coach. I blame Eichorst for be a shitty AD and not recognizing MR was a shitty coach. I do think he tried here, or at least tried as hard as he knows how.

Frost wont be canned in a year or two. If this doesn't get fixed and he ends up being fired way down the road. I don't think people will say he didn't give it his all. Everyone knows Frost is doing everything he knows how to win here.

Here is what I know...99% of the people I have met in my life are nice and decent people. So is Riley...why Husker fans pretended like he was Mother Theresa is a mystery
Is funny when you act like all level of niceness is the same. Overall I'm sure Pelini is a nice guy, but I think it's pretty obvious Riley is a much nicer guy than Pelini.

But because they're both "nice" you lump them in the same pool.

I think it's MR the coach that gets trashed. Not MR the human being. Nice guy but not a great coach
Good, point. I think many blend the two. There can be great coach yet crappy human beings. MR is a very nice guy just a horrible coach. Bad mouthing one doesn't mean one is bad mouthing the other. Yes I admit I have probably blurred the 2 when referring to him.
I don't think MR came here looking for a quick pay day. I think he genuinely loves to coach( or a valid attempt at it). He honestly believed he could get Nebraska good again. More of the blame should be place on Eichorst for not being able to see a .500 career coach would be. 500 here as well.

"Dee, do you think I should cash another lotto ticket? You do? Okay, hold on...Yeah, Mr. AD of USAT...looks like me and Dee are on board for one last final last final last adventure...also...can you just wire the money directly to my Beaver Bank in Corvallis"
What do you think Riley meant when he said, "one last great adventure" at the time?

More of the blame should be place on Eichorst for not being able to see a .500 career coach would be. 500 here as well.
And for meddling with the program. Once Eichorst made his hire he needed to butt out and let the coach do what he needed to do.

Reactions: gw2kpro

2) If Frost gets canned in a year or two, are you going to have the same attitude about him?
Yes, I think he tried his absolute best. Unfortunately, his best is subpar.

He might as well take the money and live well, because his latter year’s biography makes him look like a bigger joke than his earlier year’s resume. He will be remembered as a nice guy. PERIOD.

Reactions: bshirt73

He might as well take the money and live well, because his latter year’s biography makes him look like a bigger joke than his earlier year’s resume. He will be remembered as a nice guy. PERIOD.
I don't think his earlier resume is that much of a joke. He got Oregon State to several bowls. Yeah...I know that there's a lot more bowls now that in the old days, but the average record for his bowl teams there was 8-4, which, considering that we're talking about Oregon State, is pretty decent.

Well, Mike, I think you (he) meant that would be his last coaching gig because you (he) hoped it would end well.
You got it. No reason to continue being dorky & implying that (I) he shouldn't continue to coach because of that statement and ending (my) his career at Nebraska sooner than expected.

Good, point. I think many blend the two. There can be great coach yet crappy human beings. MR is a very nice guy just a horrible coach. Bad mouthing one doesn't mean one is bad mouthing the other. Yes I admit I have probably blurred the 2 when referring to him.
I don't think MR came here looking for a quick pay day. I think he genuinely loves to coach( or a valid attempt at it). He honestly believed he could get Nebraska good again. More of the blame should be place on Eichorst for not being able to see a .500 career coach would be. 500 here as well.
Riley's failures were in recruiting guys who have the WANT TO to go with the stars and then not being good at getting the most out of his players. Riley is a VERY knowledgeable smart guy. IF you want to learn x's and o's he's a good guy to listen to. IMO, he could have helped himself by being more hands on with his coordinators. Not probably a good match for a school that is serious about winning football games.

And yet he will still be remembered as more successful than you.

Last edited:
Reactions: zrob

He had to be able to predict the outcome. He was about to be fired at OSU, and Wisconsin came in and offered him a job at Nebraska. He had to know he had zero chance to build considering he would be in 70s at the end of the contract and nobody expected him to get an extension. You know how easy it would be to recruit against Nebraska. Um, their coach won't be there when you are a senior....He went from having thousands of D1 players within 800 miles to having maybe 75...that being said he hired some really good assistants...and overall the staff was o.k, combined with some good Bo holdovers and it wasn't awful until the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT