ADVERTISEMENT

Skers '22

Apologies. I need to remember there are fans such as yourself who are new and have never really experienced Husker football winning at a high level.

in that context it is understandable that one would set their bar at just 6 wins 5 years into a coaching stint
Answer this what‘s your all time record for Nebraska since you were born ?

Be honest!

Answer this what‘s your all time record for Nebraska since you were born ?

Be honest!
been alive for every one of the National Championships

in other words - long enough to see enough high end Husker football to never dream of posting something suggesting that a mere 6 wins - after 4 consecutive losing seasons - would earn another year of coaching the program -

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
That's quite the question 🤔. Intriguing I am going to look that up. Can I claim to have been in a coma and overlook some years
I was going to post this and I still might..Think it would be interesting seeing the age discrepancy..

most important is honesty and I’ll guarantee you I have a better winning percentage than this pgainey character..

been alive for every one of the National Championships

in other words - long enough to see enough high end Husker football to never dream of posting something suggesting that a mere 6 wins - after 4 consecutive losing seasons - would earn another year of coaching the program -
Step back from the key board.. You‘re the one that made the smart azz comment about voting on going to a bowl game..

And I have seen all 5 national title games also..

wow that is embarrassing if you are setting your bar at 6 wins

with all due respect - given your apparent advanced age and the cognitive challenges that can occur - this is a Nebraska football board - perhaps in light of the 6 wins comment you thought you were on the Rutgers board
You’re bad at comprehension… go back and comprehend what I posted to huskerfan66..

Apologies. I need to remember there are fans such as yourself who are new and have never really experienced Husker football winning at a high level.

in that context it is understandable that one would set their bar at just 6 wins 5 years into a coaching stint
Fans that are so new they joined Rivals in 2001.

I don't know how old you are, but I know scarlet has been a NU fan for 5 or 6 decades. You shit the bed on this one.

Word. I refuse to be a glass empty guy in the off season. The offensive coaches brought in are better than the people they replaced. If coaching means something we should see a more consistent and improved offense this fall.
Agree, but jury is out on Raiola. I’m relatively optimistic about the offense except for two things: OL (including Raiola)…. and OL again.
Doubling down on where the offensive ceiling will be determined.

I won’t be pessimistic about it, but there’s a lot that needs to happen in very little time for things to gel.

Coaches also need to make sure they have their system dialed in by Game 1, with all players understanding their roles. I trust the new coaches fully understand this though.

Reactions: Hoyt Shepherd Sr.
I don't know how old you are, but I know scarlet has been a NU fan for 5 or 6 decades. You shit the bed on this one.
I wonder at a certain age - if it becomes unsafe - they can take your fan card away
kind of like happens with a driver's license

setting the bar at 6 wins in year 5 at a blue blood program - after 4 consecutive losing seasons - might just call for the confiscation

I wonder at a certain age - if it becomes unsafe - they can take your fan card away
kind of like happens with a driver's license

setting the bar at 6 wins in year 5 at a blue blood program - after 4 consecutive losing seasons - might just call for the confiscation
Come and get it tough guy.

Come and get it tough guy.

the blue hair generation - because they have seen Nebraska at the pinnacle are willing to mortgage the future in order to protect a legacy head coach

they are depriving their grand kids and great grand kids the opportunity to see greatest from Husker football by setting the bar at 6 wins

they accept standards that are far below what is even palatable at places like Iowa

Future generations deserve better

Last edited:
the blue hair generation - because they have seen Nebraska at the pinnacle are willing to mortgage the future in order to protect a legacy head coach

they are depriving their grand kids and great grand kids the opportunity to see greatest from Husker football by setting the bar at 6 wins

they accept standards that are far below what is even palatable at places like Iowa

First of all clown, I was among the very first on this board calling for Frost and the others to be fired. So much for protecting a head coach.

You talk outta your ass dude.

Reactions: scarletred

We literally fired our way from a national title game to a three win season. Because of a fixation on a standard. They should have fired Frost. They didn’t. They allowed a chance to move forward. So I’ve moved on.

We literally fired our way from a national title game to a three win season. Because of a fixation on a standard. They should have fired Frost. They didn’t. They allowed a chance to move forward. So I’ve moved on.
I too wanted Frost fired. Heck, I was calling for him to be fired after we lost the opening game against a bottom feeder program like Illinois who had an entirely new coaching staff. But like you I have come to accept the decision to keep Frost and to cross my fingers that the decision pays off. Because you are correct ... part of our problem is that we keep firing coaches because they do not measure up to our lofty tradition. Solich should never have been fired. Callahan should not have been fired. Pelini should not have been fired. Riley should never have been hired in the first place, but desperation hires are what you get when you fire a coach like Pelini who won at least nine games a year for seven years. And so I think firing Riley was the only firing I thought was legit. I thought, as I said, that after four losing seasons Frost should be fired. But in hindsight, I think Alberts made the right call. And that is NOT settling for mediocrity but simply a sober realization of where all of our firings have brought us to. Time will tell if that was a wise choice. But if Frost flops again this year and we end up firing him, we had damn well better finally hire a coach who can get the job done or else we really will become a complete has-been program.

I too wanted Frost fired. Heck, I was calling for him to be fired after we lost the opening game against a bottom feeder program like Illinois who had an entirely new coaching staff. But like you I have come to accept the decision to keep Frost and to cross my fingers that the decision pays off. Because you are correct ... part of our problem is that we keep firing coaches because they do not measure up to our lofty tradition. Solich should never have been fired. Callahan should not have been fired. Pelini should not have been fired. Riley should never have been hired in the first place, but desperation hires are what you get when you fire a coach like Pelini who won at least nine games a year for seven years. And so I think firing Riley was the only firing I thought was legit. I thought, as I said, that after four losing seasons Frost should be fired. But in hindsight, I think Alberts made the right call. And that is NOT settling for mediocrity but simply a sober realization of where all of our firings have brought us to. Time will tell if that was a wise choice. But if Frost flops again this year and we end up firing him, we had damn well better finally hire a coach who can get the job done or else we really will become a complete has-been program.
Crazy thing for me is that the only two hires I liked initially were Callahan and Frost. Both their problems were directly tied to hiring buddies and friends for coaches and not treating this like a professionally run program hiring based on merit. Lessoned learned is that we need to continue to pay up for top quality assistants and learn to delegate some.

It's a little scary to think we lost our best player at every level except RB, coming off of a 3-win year. DL: Daniels, LB: Domann, Secondary: CTB, OL: Jurgens, WR: Toure, QB: Amart.

I think we all agree QB and WR isn't an issue here, but those other 4 areas are. Question will be if the overall talent level of the groups has increased enough to make up for it.

Reactions: c_broadus
It's a little scary to think we lost our best player at every level except RB, coming off of a 3-win year. DL: Daniels, LB: Domann, Secondary: CTB, OL: Jurgens, WR: Toure, QB: Amart.

I think we all agree QB and WR isn't an issue here, but those other 4 areas are. Question will be if the overall talent level of the groups has increased enough to make up for it.
Of that group, Jojo stands out. Much like Eric Hagg in Pelini's offense, Jojo has a skill set that is hard to find in a defensive player. He may end up being replaced by a combo of Gifford and Wright.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Agree with all except Pelini. It was much more than getting "only" nine wins and the occasional blowout. I think what sealed the deal was Perlman had a group of CEOs he was wooing to bring business to the Innovation Campus and as part of the tour they took in a game. It turned out to be one of Pelini's pants-pissing tantrum games and Harvey had enough. Plus, Bo made no secret that the minute he got what he perceived as a better offer he would bolt leaving us holding the bag. So I agreed we should get ahead of that. The problem was yet another half-baked "national search" to find his replacement by a woefully incompetent AD. At the time Bo left NU I think he was perceived nationally as a pretty good head coach. But the fact no other P5 school wanted to put up with his baggage shows that the baggage was significant to other schools as well.

Reactions: moralvictories
Agree with all except Pelini. It was much more than getting "only" nine wins and the occasional blowout. I think what sealed the deal was Perlman had a group of CEOs he was wooing to bring business to the Innovation Campus and as part of the tour they took in a game. It turned out to be one of Pelini's pants-pissing tantrum games and Harvey had enough. Plus, Bo made no secret that the minute he got what he perceived as a better offer he would bolt leaving us holding the bag. So I agreed we should get ahead of that. The problem was yet another half-baked "national search" to find his replacement by a woefully incompetent AD. At the time Bo left NU I think he was perceived nationally as a pretty good head coach. But the fact no other P5 school wanted to put up with his baggage shows that the baggage was significant to other schools as well.
Whatever the perception of Pelini, he should have been allowed to fail and then get fired. And did poor Harvey and his sock puppet AD realize it might be a little hard to find a quality coach right after you fired a guy who won 9-10 for 'reasons'? No, so they took an amiable old guy who locked into some really sweet coin regardless of how he performed. Then Frost came in with his staff from the G6. The coaching on the defensive side worked out. Not so much with the offensive side. And here we are.

We're probably going to look like a short yardage spread team that throws 2-3 bombs a quarter. Some of those are absolutely going to score, I'd say at least 2 times a game, which will help the short yardage dink and dunk stuff keep the chains alive.

CT is a more decisive QB with distributing the ball, and can throw the deep ball.

Defensively, we might have a drop off at some spots, but I've been impressed with how that side of the ball has been coached by Chins. They play as one unit and get after it.

I'd like to see that vibe develop on the offensive side, but not sure that happens, as the leadership for that has to come from the starting QB. I think we got a guy that could provide that leadership, but he's not a favorite to be the starter.

Given the easy schedule, we should cruise through a lot of this season and get to 8 wins without much of a challenge.

Given that we haven't done that in awhile, it's probably harder than it looks.

Reactions: pgainey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT