ADVERTISEMENT

Skers '22

Dec 21, 2020
The cycle has been as such recently: Late November we're sub-500 and you have a moment of clarity, "I saw this year's team, and I see our projected team for next year, and I can't see how next year will be any different". Then the offseason happens, local media spoon feeds the kool-aid, you watch the Spring Game, you hear about the new breakout guy and weight room gains, etc... Next thing you know it's August and you've convinced yourself it will be different. Then the mess of a season happens all over again and it's Late November and you're having that same moment of clarity.

BUT! The cycle has been broken this year with all the wholesale changes (most notably #2 down in the Little Apple). Still, you must ask yourself how things will be different. On offense, RBs and WRs have never been the issue, it's been QB and OL. This year QB is a wildcard, so it's the OL that must prove-it. On defense, quite frankly, you've got to be happy about last year. You can expect similar output in the front 7, it's the secondary that is a wildcard. Even if you didn't care for Dismuke and/or Williams, you must admit their run support was pretty good.

In conclusion: Neb will be good if:
-We have a QB on the roster now who has decent downfield vision and halfway consistent accuracy.
-Raiola and whip the OL into shape to be at least halfway decent.
-Secondary can support the run stop decently (looking at you #4).

2022 Bad news: We lost CTB, Domann, Stille, Daniels who were 4 of our 5 best defenders IMO. Perhaps our top two OL are injured and out for the spring.
2022 Good news: New coaches, new QB. Perhaps we'll score some points.

The Kool-aid runs strong during the offseason. I'll probably fall for it again as well. The youngsters on defense will get praised during the spring. All the offensive skilled players will seem like world beaters. Next season's schedule is reasonable. 10 wins baby!

Reactions: Anegada1
Schedule is kinder. Coaching replacements are objective upgrades for QB, OC, RB and WR, plus we will see what we get from Raiola. Recruiting/portal trended up hard late in the cycle, with immediate help joining the roster, such as key ST guys. Frost has a legit offensive staff, just let them do their job. We will see if Chins has developed any depth over the past couple of years.

I think the best thing to do is go watch the replays of Thompson playing for Texas especially the Oklahoma game and you'll get a good read on him. Purdy is the wildcard at the QB position as far as I can tell and Smothers has gotten some game experience which will help as a back up. I'm not worried about the QB position I'm really not. The RB position is still in question as far as I'm concerned and until we get a good look at the new kids coming in it will remain so.

The OL is in question but the kids we played last year were new and raw with the exception of Jurgen's but they got their feet wet and hopefully learned some hard lessons. I'm most interested in what Raiola will do with the OL group as a whole and my guess is he will move them around trying to find the right combinations.

We are thin at the DL position no doubt, I feel we will add to this position once springs camps are concluded around the country and some very good players will want to transfer via the portal and test the waters. I also feel we will add to the LB position through the portal. This is Scott Frosts last shot at Nebraska and he knows it I doubt you will see him stick with players if they don't perform and he knows he can't play favorites.

Last edited:
Both lines and this team not being able to get out of their own way worries me. Both things we won't know until we see it unfold. To me, Frost should've been canned because 3-9 is 3-9 no matter how you spin it. That being said, I like the coaching additions as well as the added talent. I'm not expecting a lot but I am interested to see how it plays out.

We can blame AM, the OL and special teams, but the biggest problem was that they didn't have a winning attitude. In crunch time they were out coached and out played nearly every time. Until that is fixed I don't see any reason to believe that coaching changes and portal transfers are going to make a lot of difference.

I cannot believe some are setting a metric of simply getting to 6 wins once in 5 years.

and if we finish the season with 6 wins that will make it 5 consecutive losing seasons

Iowa and Ferentz are shit but the reality is that frost has accumulated more seasons of fewer than 6 wins in his brief stint at Nebraska than Ferentz has in his entire career at Iowa

i want either 8+ wins or 5 or fewer so it is clear which direction to go - hopefully we get to 8-9 wins

Last edited:
The cycle has been as such recently: Late November we're sub-500 and you have a moment of clarity, "I saw this year's team, and I see our projected team for next year, and I can't see how next year will be any different". Then the offseason happens, local media spoon feeds the kool-aid, you watch the Spring Game, you hear about the new breakout guy and weight room gains, etc... Next thing you know it's August and you've convinced yourself it will be different. Then the mess of a season happens all over again and it's Late November and you're having that same moment of clarity.

BUT! The cycle has been broken this year with all the wholesale changes (most notably #2 down in the Little Apple). Still, you must ask yourself how things will be different. On offense, RBs and WRs have never been the issue, it's been QB and OL. This year QB is a wildcard, so it's the OL that must prove-it. On defense, quite frankly, you've got to be happy about last year. You can expect similar output in the front 7, it's the secondary that is a wildcard. Even if you didn't care for Dismuke and/or Williams, you must admit their run support was pretty good.

In conclusion: Neb will be good if:
-We have a QB on the roster now who has decent downfield vision and halfway consistent accuracy.
-Raiola and whip the OL into shape to be at least halfway decent.
-Secondary can support the run stop decently (looking at you #4).
Bad news on #4…he’s a coward.

But at least he makes up for it by not being very fast?

Trenches and on-field intelligence.
That’s what it boils down to for me along with special team additions panning out.

Not having Corcoran and Prochazka, plus maybe adding new OL (Vandy’s Steen) and DL to the mix for fall camp becomes scramble mode for those trenches to be ready.

Reactions: headcard
hopefully thompson can get timing with his receivers..
replacing daneils is inportant.
special teams should be a night and day type change

a few less risky plays from frost would be good too, 3 points is good to get in the 1st quarter, you don't need to go for it on 4th down all the time.

From the Casey Thompson videos I watched I noticed he had time to check thru his receivers and make the correct read.
I'm afraid our Oline can't hold up and we have a repeat of past performances.

2022 Bad news: We lost CTB, Domann, Stille, Daniels who were 4 of our 5 best defenders IMO. Perhaps our top two OL are injured and out for the spring.
2022 Good news: New coaches, new QB. Perhaps we'll score some points.

The Kool-aid runs strong during the offseason. I'll probably fall for it again as well. The youngsters on defense will get praised during the spring. All the offensive skilled players will seem like world beaters. Next season's schedule is reasonable. 10 wins baby!
this guy? I don't think we'll miss him much, but maybe that's just me

as undisciplined a player to ever earn a Blackshirt, much less several consecutive Blackshirts

this guy? I don't think we'll miss him much, but maybe that's just me

as undisciplined a player to ever earn a Blackshirt, much less several consecutive Blackshirts

The biggest losses are Domman and Daniels. Can we find replacements for these two ?

More worried about our Defensive line than any position on the team even offensive line..

The biggest losses are Domman and Daniels. Can we find replacements for these two ?

More worried about our Defensive line than any position on the team even offensive line..
I completely agree, my friend.

and I'm less worried about replacing Jojo, who was by far our best player each of the last 2 seasons, after seeing Gifford fill in. he's more than capable, and might even have higher upside than Jojo longterm given his NFL pedigree.

we'll need to either find a run stuffer in the room, in the portal or in the scheme, but I'm excited to see some turnover on D.

I believe those 6th year guys were at their ceiling last year. they all played hard and tough as hell, which is great for culture (plus that side of the ball actually saw results). the next generation should have higher upside if they play with the same mentality.

Both lines and this team not being able to get out of their own way worries me. Both things we won't know until we see it unfold. To me, Frost should've been canned because 3-9 is 3-9 no matter how you spin it. That being said, I like the coaching additions as well as the added talent. I'm not expecting a lot but I am interested to see how it plays out.
We were the best 3-9 team in the history of college football. However, now it is time to aim higher and be the best 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, or 9-3 team and build onward and upward from that point.

IMHO alot boils down to whether Whipple is allowed and decides to truly call plays suited for the personnel in the game and the situation. Seems in the past the plan was put in place and not changed as the game evolved. So for instance, if the slower receivers were in they still ran long developing pass plays leading to hurries and sacks. Your big back hurt, not performing or on a milk carton? No problem, run power with a 175 lb receiver.

I have no faith it will get fixed and AM NOT drinking the Kool Aid again this year. I predict a losing season and then it will be a real mess.

IMHO alot boils down to whether Whipple is allowed and decides to truly call plays suited for the personnel in the game and the situation. Seems in the past the plan was put in place and not changed as the game evolved. So for instance, if the slower receivers were in they still ran long developing pass plays leading to hurries and sacks. Your big back hurt, not performing or on a milk carton? No problem, run power with a 175 lb receiver.

I have no faith it will get fixed and AM NOT drinking the Kool Aid again this year. I predict a losing season and then it will be a real mess.
wow, such extreme negativity, IMHO Frost deserves another 4 years.

We can blame AM, the OL and special teams, but the biggest problem was that they didn't have a winning attitude. In crunch time they were out coached and out played nearly every time. Until that is fixed I don't see any reason to believe that coaching changes and portal transfers are going to make a lot of difference.
Opting out of a bowl game told me that.

Reactions: c_broadus
Trenches and on-field intelligence.
That’s what it boils down to for me along with special team additions panning out.

Not having Corcoran and Prochazka, plus maybe adding new OL (Vandy’s Steen) and DL to the mix for fall camp becomes scramble mode for those trenches to be ready.
247 Sports Transfer Portal has Steen as a 100% Virginia transfer.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Good post. Personally, this is my first off-season where I do not think I'll overrate the Huskers. And the reason I say this is that I think Frost's system in general is the biggest reason for continual failures and f-ups. Different players, new assistant coaches, but will it be the same system of preparation?

My assumption is that the team will not be any better than last year, but they should win more games due to playing a weaker schedule and the fact that three wins is a low hurdle to jump over. QB play will be better, The offensive line should be better but thanks to losing Jurgens they will be about the same. The defense will be worse without the super seniors and Taylor-Britt.

Reactions: c_broadus
Anything less than 6 wins and there won’t be any reset in my opinion…

Fans will want to wash their hands of him with 5 losing seasons..
Exactly. Frost knows this too. With our easier schedule anything less than six wins is Frost’s one way ticket out of town. He better get a transfer or two on the defensive line or else it will be another long season of disappointment.

Exactly. Frost knows this too. With our easier schedule anything less than six wins is Frost’s one way ticket out of town. He better get a transfer or two on the defensive line or else it will be another long season of disappointment.

6 wins would mean a 5th consecutive losing season - I can’t believe he would be brought back

Given the change in offensive staff plus the addition of perhaps a dozen guys who looks to be contributors this fall, how well NU does will depend purely on how these changes shake out and meld together. If there is a synergy between Whipple and Thompson and the new receiving help is legit, NU is better on offense. Whipple has been a head coach and an OC. He apparently handles himself like someone who is in charge of the offense. There is a chance for real offensive improvement here as Whipple serves as kind of a master cook. I think the passing part of Frosts playbook opens up with Thompson. Whipple brings an offense to town and I’m sure Mickey Joseph has some ideas as well. I hope they are busy putting something together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT