ADVERTISEMENT

Sipple on QBs: Sims 1, Haarberg 2

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but is there any chance that Thompson transfers if Simms solidifies the starting spot and Haarberg looks likes a capable backup this spring?

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
I'll take 3 guys that can actually play QB at this level.

Compared to what we have had for the past 5+ years, that'd be a miracle all by itself.
I hope you are right, but usually when you have guys fighting for a role without separation, it means the next guy is worse not 3 or 4 guys are as good as the first one.

Haarberg would have had to have a massive leap during the fall and Simms is going to need a ton of improvement if he wants to reach the level of Casey last year. Usually guys don't solve their turnover problem and significantly raise their completion percentage after they have struggled this far into their carriers.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but is there any chance that Thompson transfers if Simms solidifies the starting spot and Haarberg looks likes a capable backup this spring?
I doubt it. IMO the main reason he came back was the NIL money. He loses that if he leaves and I can’t envision somebody else matching his deal. Who knows anymore? Rhule has had some very positive words about CT this spring. He’s not out of it.

It's nice to have spring practice with several QB's of varying skill sets competing for depth chart position and roster spots. We've had some past springs where QB depth was paper thin and players had to move to QB just to have enough guys to throw during the spring game.

Reactions: king_kong_
Just watching Sattefields offense, the QB won’t be running much at all. Not sure where you guys get that idea. Looks like we need an adept thrower. CT will be the starter this year, IMO. At least at some point.

On a side note, I actually am liking the Satterfield offense more and more as I study it more

Thompson appears to be the most accurate QB by a good margin. Look at Sims tape at GT, he's a great athlete, but not super accurate.
But given time with this system you can’t go by his play of turnovers at GT..

Just watching Sattefields offense, the QB won’t be running much at all. Not sure where you guys get that idea. Looks like we need an adept thrower. CT will be the starter this year, IMO. At least at some point.

On a side note, I actually am liking the Satterfield offense more and more as I study it more
I am unfamiliar with the offense, how did white snake at QB for south carolina do last season? I see alot of similarities between CT and him, accurate, mobile but not a super run threat.

I am unfamiliar with the offense, how did white snake at QB for south carolina do last season? I see alot of similarities between CT and him, accurate, mobile but not a super run threat.
In the games I looked at, he looked good. Some nicely drawn up plays, some with quick throws and letting the ball catcher make some plays. Lots of ball fakes to keep the D honest…
I do think this may be right up Casey’s alley. I am hoping we do run it a lot though, so that the OL just get to pound people every game…

Can’t wait to see that Minny game

If smothers was a full go this spring and passed by Haarberg then he will be moved into the portal or moved to a new position group.

A friend went to the scrimmage saturday and said sims looked impressive. Didnt say anything bad about the other qbs just mentioned that sims looked good.
I dunno how well this guy can even differentiate between them so take it for what its worth.

I assume Purdy and Smothers move on… no reason for them to stay. Smothers like has 4 PHDs with as long as he’s been here… and Purdy is not good. Gotta give Torres and Haarberg reps
I wish Smothers would just take a shot at a skill position. Too much talent for him to ride the pine.

Has it been stated that we'll be running Sats offense from SC? Or is Rhule mixing it up a bit.

Has it been stated that we'll be running Sats offense from SC? Or is Rhule mixing it up a bit.
I would assume so. I can’t imagine too much being tweaked from an OCs bread and butter, but I would think they do modify it at least a tad depending on personnel talent.
Watch a few of the SCar games from last year and you’ll see some things to like.

You guys are missing it. Casey is the smartest in the room & new staff has been blown away by his Qb IQ. I’ve heard Rhule has commented to entire team that CT is hurt & grinding more than ALL other players. Has been called on to correct other players in meetings by Rhule on the offense & He knows offense well enough that Rhule has even allowed him to call the plays at practice on many occasions & I heard he was wearing headsets & had a play sheet this pass scrimmage on sideline. Rhule on 3 occasions during his interviews talked about CT being like a coach already & even mentioned after this last scrimmage about conversing during scrimmage asking CT what he saw & his IQ being similiar to his.. etc. Been told CT has already ran 95% of the offense under either Sark, Beck or Yursich previously. So he has 3 yrs of tape & experience. Spring is only 15 practices. 3yrs vs 15 practice!!? Maybe these is a chance he isn’t actually behind at all!’🤔

You guys are missing it. Casey is the smartest in the room & new staff has been blown away by his Qb IQ. I’ve heard Rhule has commented to entire team that CT is hurt & grinding more than ALL other players. Has been called on to correct other players in meetings by Rhule on the offense & He knows offense well enough that Rhule has even allowed him to call the plays at practice on many occasions & I heard he was wearing headsets & had a play sheet this pass scrimmage on sideline. Rhule on 3 occasions during his interviews talked about CT being like a coach already & even mentioned after this last scrimmage about conversing during scrimmage asking CT what he saw & his IQ being similiar to his.. etc. Been told CT has already ran 95% of the offense under either Sark, Beck or Yursich previously. So he has 3 yrs of tape & experience. Spring is only 15 practices. 3yrs vs 15 practice!!? Maybe these is a chance he isn’t actually behind at all!’🤔
IMO CT is getting tutored to get in to coaching. Rhule loves his attitude and intelligence. One way to keep an injured player engaged is to do exactly what Rhule is doing. It’s another reason why I could see CT staying if he doesn’t win the starting job in August.

I don’t see anyone discounting this

The only questions about Casey are: how is his throwing shoulder and if he's good to go can he stay that way

His football pedigree speaks for itself

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT