ADVERTISEMENT

Since there is wild speculation ... Offense going forward

jlb321

Defensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014
If a change is made

How much of a consideration should our current roster makeup- particularly our QB talent - play a role in the selection of our next head coach?

As many have said previously we could certainly morph to a run heavy pro style offense similar to Wisconsin

If a change is made

How much of a consideration should our current roster makeup- particularly our QB talent - play a role in the selection of our next head coach?

As many have said previously we could certainly morph to a run heavy pro style offense similar to Wisconsin

It has to be considered. If Eichorst had hired a coach that ran spread in 2014, the program is in a better situation right now. No doubt in my mind.

QB Talent? Tanner Lee? Wont know until we learn how to block, POB apparently horrible he hasn't played a down, and our circumstances to play a back up were certainly there and Gebbia? They told us Tanner was the real deal also. I think we have a nice set of Quarterbacks but probably not good enough to determine our next coach.

Reactions: otismotis08
It has to be considered. If Eichorst had hired a coach that ran spread in 2014, the program is in a better situation right now. No doubt in my mind.

Agree....hiring Frost actually would have made more sense in 2014 because of the personnel we had returning. Armstrong, Newby, Westerkamp, Moore, Cethan, Morgan, DPE, Jamal Turner - probably could have ran that offense pretty effectively while Frost recruited guys who fit his offense.

I was also high on Tom Herman at the time for the same reason.

QB Talent? Tanner Lee? Wont know until we learn how to block, POB apparently horrible he hasn't played a down, and our circumstances to play a back up were certainly there and Gebbia? They told us Tanner was the real deal also. I think we have a nice set of Quarterbacks but probably not good enough to determine our next coach.

Wisconsin only threw it around 20x per game last year with 2 non athletic game managers. Hornibrook now in his second year is really playing well. You can win with any number of offenses likewise you can be run heavy with any number of offenses.

The only thing that matters to me is winning. The aesthetics of how it looks while doing so doesn't concern me.

Wisconsin only threw it around 20x per game last year with 2 non athletic game managers. Hornibrook now in his second year is really playing well. You can win with any number of offenses likewise you can be run heavy with any number of offenses.

The only thing that matters to me is winning. The aesthetics of how it looks while doing so doesn't concern me.
They win because all the teams in the West suck

Agree....hiring Frost actually would have made more sense in 2014 because of the personnel we had returning. Armstrong, Newby, Westerkamp, Moore, Cethan, Morgan, DPE, Jamal Turner - probably could have ran that offense pretty effectively while Frost recruited guys who fit his offense.

Would have won n 8 or 9 games tops.

That's one of the main reasons why Riley was a questionable hire in the first place. If we were going to hire a coach with a .500 career record, why not hire one with a similar system to what we were already running instead of spending 3 years just to get his type of quarterback in place.

Wahoo Neumann grad Noah Vedral should transfer to UNL this semester so he's ready to play sooner as Nebraska's quarterback under Frost.

I'm a fan of the smash mouth pro style offense. Not too run heavy unless you're pounding them with it..

Wisconsin's offense is exactly what this team needs to succeed. Power football mixed with play action, screens, and reverses. We don't need to win pretty, just play smart and good things will happen.

That's one of the main reasons why Riley was a questionable hire in the first place. If we were going to hire a coach with a .500 career record, why not hire one with a similar system to what we were already running instead of spending 3 years just to get his type of quarterback in place.

Exactly, and if you get rid of Riley now and hire a guy who wants his QBs to run, guess where you'll be next year. Either using a QB that can't run the system the coach wants or with a juco QB and no depth running a system that puts the QB in situations to take hits. Who was the last "dual threat" starter, at Nebraska, that went through the season uninjured?

Reactions: jlb321
Exactly, and if you get rid of Riley now and hire a guy who wants his QBs to run, guess where you'll be next year. Either using a QB that can't run the system the coach wants or with a juco QB and no depth running a system that puts the QB in situations to take hits. Who was the last "dual threat" starter, at Nebraska, that went through the season uninjured?
I think Gebbia could fit either system. He has decent speed and people think he will be a good passer. We have no depth at qb anyway so we could go with either system without too many problems.

I doubt Gebbia stays if Langs and Riley are gone. I think he wants to play in a pro-style offense.

I doubt Gebbia stays if Langs and Riley are gone. I think he wants to play in a pro-style offense.

Not necessarily, I understand that he loves it here. Although that is the one guy I fear leaving the most.

Poor timing on Frost. I like the idea of him AT LEAST being the top guy in a program first.

They win because all the teams in the West suck
I want Stanford's offense with Andrew Luck at the controls. A well executed Pro/West Coast offense is what I like. Hard to recruit the QB's to run that year in and year out, but even spread option teams need a good QB too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT