ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Spring Game Thoughts

BleedRed78

Blackshirt
Oct 22, 2019
Although it was hard to take anything away from the spring game due to "thud" 1st half and tons of backup play in the 2nd half, I've watched the highlights repeatedly to try to gain some analysis. I'll go through each position group below and offer some of my overall thoughts on each unit. I encourage others to offer up insights and analysis of their own as well.

QB: First off, I just have to say that at this point I'm really not impressed with Smothers. I see him as 3rd or 4th string at best in a completely objective situation anyway. I believe Haarberg has much more upside, even with the INT that he threw. It was a bummer to not see more of CT...would've been more fruitful behind a different lineman grouping IMHO. He'll likely be the starter, but I gotta say, I was more impressed with Purdy than I thought I'd be. I didn't even think he was going to be playing, and I was blown away by his ability to run (better than Smothers from what I could tell, or more effective anyway). He had a couple of the day's best passes too. Probably looking at this pecking order by gameday: CT, Purdy, Smothers, Haarberg or Masker (who like Dingle, I still wonder if he's our best QB for a more pass oriented offensive system, and he can run enough for what we expect of a QB in NE).

RB: Grant is our starter out of the gates (hoping to not jinx injury or anything...). He seems like our most complete back we've had in awhile. The 60 yard TD run could likely have been stopped in real live tackling action, but I believe his jump cuts would've still been enough for a big gain (maybe not TD though). Otherwise Yant seems like the hammer we'll succeed with in the short yardage game, as well as a solid spell back. Johnson is Johnson at this point - our best receiving back as well as pass pro back, so I'd say he should def be our third down back (unless short yardage). After that it's up to whoever wants it the most while knowing they're not going to be the starter. We'll see how Ervin comes back from injury, as well as Stepp. Grant, Yant, Johnson, and then whoever.

WR: We didn't get to see a ton here sadly. Whatever passes were thrown Manning's way were crap passes, most from Smothers. Palmer will be huge, we just didn't get to see it this scrimmage. I'm sure our starters will be Manning, Palmer, and Martin, but it's after that where it gets fun. Grimes had the best showing (although his TD catch would be an incomplete pass in live action, as Farmer would've lit him up and not let up in what was otherwise "thud" tackling. I was wondering where Belt was after all the spring ball hype. Otherwise I expect Brown to play a bigger role this year. Somewhat a lack of opinion on the group due to the nature of the scrimmage, limited roles, etc. Hopefully Garcia-Castenada is legit and gets/stays healthy.

TE: Volkolek is going to be the guy and I believe he will excel in Whipple's version of this offense (which we likely really didn't see much of Saturday). Sad about Fidone...but such is life I guess. Can't have anything nice! I was really encouraged with the play of young guys though, such as Boerkircher and Rollins. Rollins arguably had the finest catch of the day. Overall I think this group will excel more than years past so long as they can get/stay healthy. If Fidone is out at the start of the season, I could see one of the above mentioned young guys starting behind Vokolek as he will be the clear cut #1.

OL: This is where this gets interesting, so bear in there with me for a moment. Overall, the run blocking looked MUCH better. I think that'll finally be a strength for us and not be solely due to QB run game. We looked closer to Wisconsin in the scrimmage than I've seen from us yet. Riola must be doing something well there. Pass pro needs improvement though, but that's probably more of getting the right guys as starters than anything else (don't eff this up Frost - be objective!). The first group that went out is nowhere near the starting group IMO. They struggled other than a couple of guys who are likely starters. The second group was much more fundamentally sound from what I could tell, though not starters across the board there. Banks is awful at LT, and should probably just stick to guard (backup). Miller was even worse somehow, and had the worst footage of the day with Butler literally owning him on a bull rush for sack. I was especially impressed when Anthony was in at RT, and Lutovski at RG...those two should start come gameday at those positions as of right now without factoring in Corcoran's return from injury (who did not play).

Benhart seemed...better, but still hardly our top option there which is sad considering his ranking as a recruit who's now in what, his 3rd or 4th season here? As for Center, I was pleasantly surprised to see Hixson has improved after initially showing some promise when he first got play time, then receded into poor play, particularly in the run game. He held his own and could very well start. Hard telling with Piper out due to injury. The third string guy (another Boerkircher) was serviceable, but lacked overall talent to hold up. LG we'll probably see Nouli retain his starting role, although I was impressed with Williams' play. Could go either way if judging purely off of Saturday's film. LT should be and must be Prochazka...let's all pray right now that he conquers this injury and remains healthy for the season. If not, maybe this is where Corcoran can come in too. My starters today based off this game and what we already know would be from left to right: Prochazka, Nouli or Williams, Hixson or Piper, Lutovski, and Anthony or Corcoran.

DL: First off, I was very impressed with our pass rush. I actually believe that will be a strength of ours this season (finally!) as we have several edge guys who can get the job done at a high level (Nelson, Butler, Tannor, and Gunnerson). This is especially so if we get Mathis. I really think Butler is our next Randy Gregory (body composition, size, ability to bend, etc.) I hope we (Frost and co) don't mess that up. Overall I think these guys will all set the edge well and hold up in the run game. It's the interior guys where I'm concerned, as most of us are. I just don't think Hutmacher has what it takes to be our starter. Good backup, but nothing more. It'll be up to Robinson and hopefully a healthy Rogers to hold down the interior this season. Yikes. Could use a portal guy here more than anywhere else IMHO. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Feist. He showed up several times in the highlights and at this point I believe is a better option than Hutmacher. I personally hope we go with more of a 2-4-5 setup than a true 3-4, or even maybe some 4-3 with guys like Nelson and Butler or Gunnerson (or Mathis!) at DE. My main guys here would be: Nelson, Robinson, Rogers, Feist, and Butler or hopefully Mathis.

LB: This is arguably our strongest position group on defense which is impressive considering the lack of overall star talent in the unit. Depth has gotten there over the years, and I think we have a solid two deep here. If our run defense is going to be decent this year, it's these guys who will be the reason - in spite of lack of depth and dominance on the interior line. Kolarevic had a great blitz which disrupted a pass that was otherwise blocked tremendously well, and showed great speed for a LB to get home in such a scenario. Starters will likely be a mixture of Reimer's coming back from injury (and could have an all conference year) Henrich, Kolaravic, and one of the edge guys. Mauga-Clements finally showing he'd worthy of being in the two deep. Excited and looking forward to seeing Wright can do as well. Not sold on Gifford quite yet.

DB: This is arguably our second strongest position group, on defense anyway. I came away impressed with Johnson's play Saturday...as a former 5 star guy, this was good to see. I hope to see him start opposite of what I'd assume is Newsome who is our best returning starter. I wasn't overly impressed with Hill who had a lot of off season hype. I'm sure he'll grow into his role and settle in over time, but if I had to decide today, he's in the rotation but not starting. Clark is the other guy who probably won't dominate, but he's healthy, experienced, and should do the job. Farmer will be one of our starting safeties, and will hopefully improve from last season. Showed up a lot in Saturday's film. As for the other safety, I'm wondering if Buford makes it his own. He looked like a little ball of pent up fury out there, and allegedly hits the hardest (according to a guy who lays wood himself in the running game - Yant). What the hell happened to Pola-Gates? Seems to just be unable to get himself on the radar for a starting role that should be his by now. Otherwise Brown seemed like he might have enough to offer as a part of the two deep. Starters are likely: Newsome, Johnson, Clark, Farmer, and Buford.

ST: Buschini needs some refinement, but the dude's got a leg on him! Desperately awaiting Bleekrode's arrival on campus...we are still without a serviceable kicker without apparently. We didn't get to see anything for return game, but punts that were fielded were done so without drama, and coverage units seemed on track. Jury is still out here, and we need it to not be. Fingers crossed with the new kicker! He can't get here soon enough.

I still think this team wins at least 6, maybe 7 this season with an easier schedule than the past few years. We didn't get to see enough Saturday to determine otherwise, and was supposedly on purpose (which I believe is only half true). Hopefully Whipple's offense is truly great, digestible for the athletes and they're able to apply it in a high standard. I think the defense will surprise many who thought that side of the ball would suffer a huge drop off from turnover of starters from last year. My only real concern there is the depth on the interior DL. An elite or even just improved pass rush might help offset that some, especially if our LBs are the core to our hopefully competent run defense. Not too worried about Fisher's guys continuing the standard, even with so many new faces.

What do you all think??

it all starts with the OL. Have to eliminate penalties and a bunch of the sacks. Have to be able to pick up 3rd/4th and short. Have to be able to run the ball in the red zone. I didn't see anything Saturday that would indicate we definitely will improve in those areas.

On smothers, the game plan on Saturday is just not what he can do well. They set him up for success in the iowa game with an offense geared to his strengths and that' s what they would have to do if he's going to play. He just isn't ever going to be a dropback QB.

Very nice write up! Well worth the time it took me to read. Especially good insights about the OL.

From what I saw, if the QB competition is truly fair and week-to-week, Purdy will be starting, if not to begin the season, taking over sometime during the season. The guy seemed cool as a cucumber, and after only a couple practices.

Some random thoughts.

There is a reason they didn't showcase Thompson very much. Even though there is film on him in Texas, there is nothing in Whips O. Why else limit him so much? It's not like he has everything down pat either his receivers.

Our poor tackles make our pass ruch look better than it really is. I will believe it when I see it.

A tackle getting bull rushed to his back is not a good look.

How many plays did Johnson make on D? I remember one but didn't watch the entire scrimmage, way too boring.

I actually like our RBs and Yant is going to surprise. A couple of plays there is no way the D was goong to vring him down with those poor angles. Put him with Grant and you have a nice combo.

Other than the normal hype, it is hard to tell what we really have. So many injuries on both sides of the ball, not much for getting good looks.

Although it was hard to take anything away from the spring game due to "thud" 1st half and tons of backup play in the 2nd half, I've watched the highlights repeatedly to try to gain some analysis. I'll go through each position group below and offer some of my overall thoughts on each unit. I encourage others to offer up insights and analysis of their own as well.

QB: First off, I just have to say that at this point I'm really not impressed with Smothers. I see him as 3rd or 4th string at best in a completely objective situation anyway. I believe Haarberg has much more upside, even with the INT that he threw. It was a bummer to not see more of CT...would've been more fruitful behind a different lineman grouping IMHO. He'll likely be the starter, but I gotta say, I was more impressed with Purdy than I thought I'd be. I didn't even think he was going to be playing, and I was blown away by his ability to run (better than Smothers from what I could tell, or more effective anyway). He had a couple of the day's best passes too. Probably looking at this pecking order by gameday: CT, Purdy, Smothers, Haarberg or Masker (who like Dingle, I still wonder if he's our best QB for a more pass oriented offensive system, and he can run enough for what we expect of a QB in NE).

RB: Grant is our starter out of the gates (hoping to not jinx injury or anything...). He seems like our most complete back we've had in awhile. The 60 yard TD run could likely have been stopped in real live tackling action, but I believe his jump cuts would've still been enough for a big gain (maybe not TD though). Otherwise Yant seems like the hammer we'll succeed with in the short yardage game, as well as a solid spell back. Johnson is Johnson at this point - our best receiving back as well as pass pro back, so I'd say he should def be our third down back (unless short yardage). After that it's up to whoever wants it the most while knowing they're not going to be the starter. We'll see how Ervin comes back from injury, as well as Stepp. Grant, Yant, Johnson, and then whoever.

WR: We didn't get to see a ton here sadly. Whatever passes were thrown Manning's way were crap passes, most from Smothers. Palmer will be huge, we just didn't get to see it this scrimmage. I'm sure our starters will be Manning, Palmer, and Martin, but it's after that where it gets fun. Grimes had the best showing (although his TD catch would be an incomplete pass in live action, as Farmer would've lit him up and not let up in what was otherwise "thud" tackling. I was wondering where Belt was after all the spring ball hype. Otherwise I expect Brown to play a bigger role this year. Somewhat a lack of opinion on the group due to the nature of the scrimmage, limited roles, etc. Hopefully Garcia-Castenada is legit and gets/stays healthy.

TE: Volkolek is going to be the guy and I believe he will excel in Whipple's version of this offense (which we likely really didn't see much of Saturday). Sad about Fidone...but such is life I guess. Can't have anything nice! I was really encouraged with the play of young guys though, such as Boerkircher and Rollins. Rollins arguably had the finest catch of the day. Overall I think this group will excel more than years past so long as they can get/stay healthy. If Fidone is out at the start of the season, I could see one of the above mentioned young guys starting behind Vokolek as he will be the clear cut #1.

OL: This is where this gets interesting, so bear in there with me for a moment. Overall, the run blocking looked MUCH better. I think that'll finally be a strength for us and not be solely due to QB run game. We looked closer to Wisconsin in the scrimmage than I've seen from us yet. Riola must be doing something well there. Pass pro needs improvement though, but that's probably more of getting the right guys as starters than anything else (don't eff this up Frost - be objective!). The first group that went out is nowhere near the starting group IMO. They struggled other than a couple of guys who are likely starters. The second group was much more fundamentally sound from what I could tell, though not starters across the board there. Banks is awful at LT, and should probably just stick to guard (backup). Miller was even worse somehow, and had the worst footage of the day with Butler literally owning him on a bull rush for sack. I was especially impressed when Anthony was in at RT, and Lutovski at RG...those two should start come gameday at those positions as of right now without factoring in Corcoran's return from injury (who did not play).

Benhart seemed...better, but still hardly our top option there which is sad considering his ranking as a recruit who's now in what, his 3rd or 4th season here? As for Center, I was pleasantly surprised to see Hixson has improved after initially showing some promise when he first got play time, then receded into poor play, particularly in the run game. He held his own and could very well start. Hard telling with Piper out due to injury. The third string guy (another Boerkircher) was serviceable, but lacked overall talent to hold up. LG we'll probably see Nouli retain his starting role, although I was impressed with Williams' play. Could go either way if judging purely off of Saturday's film. LT should be and must be Prochazka...let's all pray right now that he conquers this injury and remains healthy for the season. If not, maybe this is where Corcoran can come in too. My starters today based off this game and what we already know would be from left to right: Prochazka, Nouli or Williams, Hixson or Piper, Lutovski, and Anthony or Corcoran.

DL: First off, I was very impressed with our pass rush. I actually believe that will be a strength of ours this season (finally!) as we have several edge guys who can get the job done at a high level (Nelson, Butler, Tannor, and Gunnerson). This is especially so if we get Mathis. I really think Butler is our next Randy Gregory (body composition, size, ability to bend, etc.) I hope we (Frost and co) don't mess that up. Overall I think these guys will all set the edge well and hold up in the run game. It's the interior guys where I'm concerned, as most of us are. I just don't think Hutmacher has what it takes to be our starter. Good backup, but nothing more. It'll be up to Robinson and hopefully a healthy Rogers to hold down the interior this season. Yikes. Could use a portal guy here more than anywhere else IMHO. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Feist. He showed up several times in the highlights and at this point I believe is a better option than Hutmacher. I personally hope we go with more of a 2-4-5 setup than a true 3-4, or even maybe some 4-3 with guys like Nelson and Butler or Gunnerson (or Mathis!) at DE. My main guys here would be: Nelson, Robinson, Rogers, Feist, and Butler or hopefully Mathis.

LB: This is arguably our strongest position group on defense which is impressive considering the lack of overall star talent in the unit. Depth has gotten there over the years, and I think we have a solid two deep here. If our run defense is going to be decent this year, it's these guys who will be the reason - in spite of lack of depth and dominance on the interior line. Kolarevic had a great blitz which disrupted a pass that was otherwise blocked tremendously well, and showed great speed for a LB to get home in such a scenario. Starters will likely be a mixture of Reimer's coming back from injury (and could have an all conference year) Henrich, Kolaravic, and one of the edge guys. Mauga-Clements finally showing he'd worthy of being in the two deep. Excited and looking forward to seeing Wright can do as well. Not sold on Gifford quite yet.

DB: This is arguably our second strongest position group, on defense anyway. I came away impressed with Johnson's play Saturday...as a former 5 star guy, this was good to see. I hope to see him start opposite of what I'd assume is Newsome who is our best returning starter. I wasn't overly impressed with Hill who had a lot of off season hype. I'm sure he'll grow into his role and settle in over time, but if I had to decide today, he's in the rotation but not starting. Clark is the other guy who probably won't dominate, but he's healthy, experienced, and should do the job. Farmer will be one of our starting safeties, and will hopefully improve from last season. Showed up a lot in Saturday's film. As for the other safety, I'm wondering if Buford makes it his own. He looked like a little ball of pent up fury out there, and allegedly hits the hardest (according to a guy who lays wood himself in the running game - Yant). What the hell happened to Pola-Gates? Seems to just be unable to get himself on the radar for a starting role that should be his by now. Otherwise Brown seemed like he might have enough to offer as a part of the two deep. Starters are likely: Newsome, Johnson, Clark, Farmer, and Buford.

ST: Buschini needs some refinement, but the dude's got a leg on him! Desperately awaiting Bleekrode's arrival on campus...we are still without a serviceable kicker without apparently. We didn't get to see anything for return game, but punts that were fielded were done so without drama, and coverage units seemed on track. Jury is still out here, and we need it to not be. Fingers crossed with the new kicker! He can't get here soon enough.

I still think this team wins at least 6, maybe 7 this season with an easier schedule than the past few years. We didn't get to see enough Saturday to determine otherwise, and was supposedly on purpose (which I believe is only half true). Hopefully Whipple's offense is truly great, digestible for the athletes and they're able to apply it in a high standard. I think the defense will surprise many who thought that side of the ball would suffer a huge drop off from turnover of starters from last year. My only real concern there is the depth on the interior DL. An elite or even just improved pass rush might help offset that some, especially if our LBs are the core to our hopefully competent run defense. Not too worried about Fisher's guys continuing the standard, even with so many new faces.

What do you all think??
I think you gave a reasonable if lengthy take on the situation, which is quite out of step with the vomiting of downer we've seen here concerning the spring game.

Too many injuries on both lines to have an accurate prediction on what they may look like in the fall.
40% of the presumed OL starters did not play Saturday. If Hixson or Piper can be competent at center, Benhart becomes the #4 tackle.

Reactions: huskerfan66
typical spring showing. some guys stepping up nicely and will be interesting to see how that translates into real games this fall. the sad part it seems some guys just caught in a time warp and wont ever get appreciably better than what they were in the past. time to just move on if we want to win some games this fall.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Yeah sorry it was long guys... Too much to cover and I wanted to get depth coverage since most others are just whining and complaining lol.

Thanks for taking the time to read and offering thoughts of your own!
I appreciated it. Was there much to learn by re-watching the second half?

Reactions: baseball31ne
Very nice write up! Well worth the time it took me to read. Especially good insights about the OL.

From what I saw, if the QB competition is truly fair and week-to-week, Purdy will be starting, if not to begin the season, taking over sometime during the season. The guy seemed cool as a cucumber, and after only a couple practices.
To be fair, you saw like 4 passes from one guy from which you surmised that he should be the backup and a few more plays of 2-hand touch football from the other.

First off…. 4 wins.

Next, nice job OP lauding our DBs for being probably the 2nd strongest position group on D… you know there’s only 3 total right?

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
To be fair, you saw like 4 passes from one guy from which you surmised that he should be the backup and a few more plays of 2-hand touch football from the other.
There is alpha-level wishcasting happening on several threads. Just unfiltered BS.

First off…. 4 wins.

Next, nice job OP lauding our DBs for being probably the 2nd strongest position group on D… you know there’s only 3 total right?
Not sure what you're talking about, but they looked plenty scrappy to me considering the format. We'll see come the start of the season though.

For sure. I do think Purdy looked more poised under pressure than CT, which might come in handy if our OL doesn't drastically improve with returning starters from injury.

Hard telling, so for now I'll trust that if CT wins the starting job, the coaches know what they're seeing better than what we've seen. We've seen his Texas film and the dudes a stud. I'm just thinking Purdy is a stud in the making himself.

First off…. 4 wins.

I don't worry about the DBs. Fish seems very capable of both recruiting the talent and then developing those players. I'm more worried about other coaches/positions.

What I saw was a cluster**** of a practice.

The offense should not have taken the field since the coaches did not want to show anything. If you are afraid to show other coaches what you are doing, find a new fecking job. The days of keeping everything vanilla need to go. Do what you do and do it well. If people can stop you from running your offense, you need to do a better job of coaching your offense.

I saw the same lackluster offense and the same brain farts...

The defense came to play and did well. When they play against another offense we will be able to tell if they are any good.

Special teams, not so special... need a new coach with fresh ideas. Retreaded the coach from the staff, need better coaching.

If this is how Frost wants to do spring games since he has been here, stop doing them. He is embarrassing himself and the other coaches.

Reactions: jkeb and oldjar07

The offense should not have taken the field since the coaches did not want to show anything. If you are afraid to show other coaches what you are doing, find a new fecking job. The days of keeping everything vanilla need to go. Do what you do and do it well. If people can stop you from running your offense, you need to do a better job of coaching your offense.

The defense came to play and did well. When they play against another offense we will be able to tell if they are any good.

Special teams, not so special... need a new coach with fresh ideas. Retreaded the coach from the staff, need better coaching.

If this is how Frost wants to do spring games since he has been here, stop doing them. He is embarrassing himself and the other coaches.
Do you feel better after getting that off of your chest.

How Frost runs the spring game is going to address itself in one manner or the other over the next 8 months. I only see 3 options:

1) Team shows significant improvement on the field and in the W-L column, buying Frost a longer leash on everything, including the spring game
2) Team disappoints, but Frost is somehow retained and fan apathy reaches an all-time high. In this case, the spring game is the least of the concerns with the program
3) Team disappoints, reset button is hit again, and a new coach will decide what the spring game looks like moving forward along with everything else.

I agree with you on the format and keeping to vanilla. You had fans and recruits to impress .

The offense surprise is all out the door after the first half of the Illinois game anyways

Reactions: jkeb
Bro what???
Teddy and Corcoran are presumed fall starters and didn't play. 2/5=40%
If Piper or Hixson can actually be a solution at Center, then Corcoran can play out at tackle. The Okie lite guy is probably the third tackle and next man up. Benhart would be the #4 tackle. If the coaches decide Corcoran is a fit at center, I think the battle for right OT is between Benhart and Anthony.

How Frost runs the spring game is going to address itself in one manner or the other over the next 8 months. I only see 3 options:

1) Team shows significant improvement on the field and in the W-L column, buying Frost a longer leash on everything, including the spring game
2) Team disappoints, but Frost is somehow retained and fan apathy reaches an all-time high. In this case, the spring game is the least of the concerns with the program
3) Team disappoints, reset button is hit again, and a new coach will decide what the spring game looks like moving forward along with everything else.
Number 2 won’t happen. That was the purpose of restructuring Frost’s contract.

Number 2 won’t happen. That was the purpose of restructuring Frost’s contract.
Agree - unless Alberts' standards for improvement and success are lower than the majority of the fan base's. Restructuring Frost's (and Hoiberg's) contracts should make Alberts' standards much clearer next year

Reactions: kakdawg
Yeah sorry it was long guys... Too much to cover and I wanted to get depth coverage since most others are just whining and complaining lol.

Thanks for taking the time to read and offering thoughts of your own!
better than most who are getting paid for this. if this could all be somehow reduced to be read in under 60 seconds? some of us are too damn lazy and expect fast food in everything we do.

I don't worry about the DBs. Fish seems very capable of both recruiting the talent and then developing those players. I'm more worried about other coaches/positions.
Ha Red, it wasn’t a dig at the DBs per se, just a crack about rating them 2nd as a position group when there are only 3 position groups on D… the DL, LBs, and DBs.
Personally, I don’t know how they will do but I just feel like we take a step back overall from what we saw last season when we had key starters that were all 6th year seniors.

I know Chin has not been good outside of last season. And even last season wasn’t as great as many on the boards make it out to be.

I just am not feeling it for 2022, even with a seemingly solid QB.

Agree - unless Alberts' standards for improvement and success are lower than the majority of the fan base's. Restructuring Frost's (and Hoiberg's) contracts should make Alberts' standards much clearer next year
I would bet that 5 wins or less and he’s gone, Seven wins or more and he stays. Six wins with a bowl game is where it gets gray. I think in that case it may depend on who else Alberts could get.

Teddy and Corcoran are presumed fall starters and didn't play. 2/5=40%
If Piper or Hixson can actually be a solution at Center, then Corcoran can play out at tackle. The Okie lite guy is probably the third tackle and next man up. Benhart would be the #4 tackle. If the coaches decide Corcoran is a fit at center, I think the battle for right OT is between Benhart and Anthony.

I don't think Anthony is better than Benhart but time will tell. He's just a tad slow if there is a speed rusher otherwise is serviceable

Agree
Agree, the not tipping our hand BS gets old
Yep, false start on second play of the game

Disagree. Pretty hard to make this call when there were no KOs, KO returns, punt returns and our field goal kicker is not on campus yet.
Agree. The touch football spring games for the 1s and 2s is indicative of the systemic mental softness Frost's teams have that routinely cause them to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

it all starts with the OL. Have to eliminate penalties and a bunch of the sacks. Have to be able to pick up 3rd/4th and short. Have to be able to run the ball in the red zone. I didn't see anything Saturday that would indicate we definitely will improve in those areas.

On smothers, the game plan on Saturday is just not what he can do well. They set him up for success in the iowa game with an offense geared to his strengths and that' s what they would have to do if he's going to play. He just isn't ever going to be a dropback QB.

Unfortunately if he is running 26 times a game like he did against Iowa, he’s not going to last long. Don’t see the passing skills needed from him.

One highlight of the spring game for me was the interview with Thompson which showed no tape on his hand. According to some horn fans Thompson was quite good and then declined significantly after hurting his hand. Hopefully seeing no tape on his hand means it’s completely healed.

Unfortunately if he is running 26 times a game like he did against Iowa, he’s not going to last long. Don’t see the passing skills needed from him.

One highlight of the spring game for me was the interview with Thompson which showed no tape on his hand. According to some horn fans Thompson was quite good and then declined significantly after hurting his hand. Hopefully seeing no tape on his hand means it’s completely healed.

He's never going to be the full time starter, but if you need a guy for a game or two, you can run what they did vs Iowa and at least have a chance.

He's never going to be the full time starter, but if you need a guy for a game or two, you can run what they did vs Iowa and at least have a chance.

Another highlight from the spring game was haarberg playing without a green jersey. Of all the spring games I’ve caught on TV this year I have seen no other QB playing without the “off limits” Jersey.

Another highlight from the spring game was haarberg playing without a green jersey. Of all the spring games I’ve caught on TV this year I have seen no other QB playing without the “off limits” Jersey.

Kind of shows where he sits though

40% of the presumed OL starters did not play Saturday. If Hixson or Piper can be competent at center, Benhart becomes the #4 tackle.
Call me crazy, but I can see Benhart taking a huge step forward due to the most repetitions and coaching with Raiola than everyone else that’s injured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT