ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP. Well if my decision of giving up CFB

I guess I don't totally get it, like, I have never watched my Huskers play a game and thought "Man, I totally admire these guys because they don't get paid"

Or like when Rex Burkhead scored that TD against OSU I did not high five my friends, take a shot of fireball and yell out "Yes! So glad that MFer isn't getting paid"

On one hand, that’s ridiculous because NIL is now here. On the other hand, football makes all the money pretty much so the players do have a point of getting some.
What is truly NOT fair is all these other athletes getting free rides off the football players when their sport loses money… all because the bullshit title 9 and crap.
Someone should just tell the football players, hey you already share your revenue with all other athletes at your school.

On one hand, that’s ridiculous because NIL is now here. On the other hand, football makes all the money pretty much so the players do have a point of getting some.
What is truly NOT fair is all these other athletes getting free rides off the football players when their sport loses money… all because the bullshit title 9 and crap.
Someone should just tell the football players, hey you already share your revenue with all other athletes at your school.
That is a really good point.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Yes, a number of traditional fans of college football are expressing outrage over the changes. I get that people don't like change. BUT I really doubt very many of those people will actually follow through and quit watching or stop paying attention to the scores in the fall. It kind of reminds me all those celebrities that keep threatening to leave the United States to get attention but how many of them actually follow through. Only a handful.

Separately, regarding those celebrities, I'd gladly contribute toward a fund to buy them one-way tickets out of here as long as they agreed to sign a contract stating they'd never come back in the future.

Where were all the hand-wringers and pearl-clutchers when ADs started paying coaches millions, handing out rollover extensions like Halloween candy, then paying the same coaches to go away?

I too enjoyed college sports more back when it was something resembling amateur athletics, with one of the coaches serving as AD as a side gig and coaches teaching a P.E. class or two just to push their compensation into six figures. But college football and basketball became a multi-billion industries years ago, littered with overpaid old farts who make huge salaries whether they are good, bad or mediocre at their jobs. But OMG, OMG, OMG - those dad-gum players have gone and ruined everything!

Last edited:
Wasn't cemented enough. This will definitely do it.
I don't want or need and NFL light. So long CFB. You are just another poor mans NFL. Revenue sharing getting around title 9. GTFOH.
Again SIAP. Not on here much. Didn't see it quickly browsing.
Players been bringing in huge money to the NCAA and their schools for YEARS, carrying the water for all of the non essential sports.

Let them eat. We'll see how it goes. America has a free market economy. The fittest survive.

Players been bringing in huge money to the NCAA and their schools for YEARS, carrying the water for all of the non essential sports.

Let them eat. We'll see how it goes. America has a free market economy. The fittest survive.

do you realize that we just went 1-8 in the conference, have had a losing conf record every year for the past 5 years and haven’t represented the BIG in a bowl the last 5 years yet we get the same conf payout as Ohio St?

do you realize that we just went 1-8 in the conference, have had a losing conf record every year for the past 5 years and haven’t represented the BIG in a bowl the last 5 years yet we get the same conf payout as Ohio St?
did the B1G do to us what LIV golf is doing to Phil?

Reactions: Redmich
Fail to see your point. OP is grousing about quitting college football and players demanding more money.

I think this union/salary cap/nil & transfer rules/etc...
will all be done by 24, and texas and 0u will go into the sec the same time usc and ucla go into the big.
we get mini nfl in 24 or 25....

the paying players thing is ok by me, we been watching bama and ohio state do it for sometime, and it's worked out swell for them...

I'm just thankful to larry scott and texas for geting us into the big...

the good thing is we don't have to wait 4 years for a coaching upgrade, we will know exactly where things will be soon, one way or another...I'm sure trev has baylors coach on speed dial, to join the new mini nfl..if need be

If this is the way of the new CFB world then the schools should lose their tax exemptions and the mandatory donations should stop.

I watch because I like my alma mater. NOT because I'm interested in the players personally. Once they aren't students and aren't connected to my school in any way...I'm done.

Do any of you watch the NBA G-League? Or minor-league baseball? Or the XFL?

Do any of you have any intelligence or independent thought at all?? Or if you're told by a smiling man in a suit-and-tie in a nice studio on television that this is your college team...do you automatically believe it?

I watch because I like my alma mater. NOT because I'm interested in the players personally. Once they aren't students and aren't connected to my school in any way...I'm done.

Do any of you have any intelligence or independent thought at all?? Or if you're told by a smiling man in a suit-and-tie in a nice studio on television that this is your college team...do you automatically believe it?
I go to Storm Chaser games…

I go to Storm Chaser games…
LOL I like the name. And that's as good a reason as any to start liking teams the way things are going. Or just get out in the sun, get close to the players, whatever.

I mean seriously....why the F should I like the Gophers so much?? It makes no sense at all, if things continue to go like they are. I might as well watch the St. Paul Saints.

So why does it only bother you when players become mercenaries? Your hero P.J. Fleck walked away from Western Michigan two years into a six-year contract extension, but you still sniff his butt like you're one of those beagles working for Customs and Border Protection.

LOL I like the name. And that's as good a reason as any to start liking teams the way things are going. Or just get out in the sun, get close to the players, whatever.

I mean seriously....why the F should I like the Gophers so much?? It makes no sense at all, if things continue to go like they are. I might as well watch the St. Paul Saints.
You won’t be watching the St Paul Saints during the fall.. Get a clue what you’re talking about..

You’ll have to just watch the Vikings choke games on Sunday just like myself.. Don’t lie you’ll be following the Gophers in the fall..

You won’t be watching the St Paul Saints during the fall.. Get a clue what you’re talking about..

You’ll have to just watch the Vikings choke games on Sunday just like myself.. Don’t lie you’ll be following the Gophers in the fall..
Ha! Exactly!

A few times a year there will be Ivy league games on TV. If it is Friday night and nothing else on, I will toss 10 dollars on the game and watch it for like 10 minutes...that is about all I can do.

Everyone will still be watching the real teams play. There is a reason NU is about to start making 100 million a year in tv rights.

Ha! Exactly!

A few times a year there will be Ivy league games on TV. If it is Friday night and nothing else on, I will toss 10 dollars on the game and watch it for like 10 minutes...that is about all I can do.

Everyone will still be watching the real teams play. There is a reason NU is about to start making 100 million a year in tv rights.
I can understand watching because of gambling. But it makes no logical sense whatsoever for me to watch my school hire a minor league team to play on its campus.

Sure, the suits-and-ties propaganda on the television will tell me I should watch and it's so exciting. But they're liars. They're laughing at us while they're raking in the money. A minor league team with no real connection to my school is NOT exciting.

I can understand watching because of gambling. But it makes no logical sense whatsoever for me to watch my school hire a minor league team to play on its campus.

Sure, the suits-and-ties propaganda on the television will tell me I should watch and it's so exciting. But they're liars. They're laughing at us while they're raking in the money. A minor league team with no real connection to my school is NOT exciting.
If you're rooting for a P5 school, then you've been rooting for mercenary players that are less students than a minor league for the NFL. Don't be naive.

I guess I don't totally get it, like, I have never watched my Huskers play a game and thought "Man, I totally admire these guys because they don't get paid"

Or like when Rex Burkhead scored that TD against OSU I did not high five my friends, take a shot of fireball and yell out "Yes! So glad that MFer isn't getting paid"

I dont hold them to the same standard as pros because they are amatures.

Last edited:
It kind of reminds me all those celebrities that keep threatening to leave the United States to get attention but how many of them actually follow through. Only a handful.
The same way kids wanting their way threaten to hold their breaths until they turn blue. Has anyone ever seen a spoiled kid turn blue?

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan

If that is how you feel, okay!

I guess you won't be posting anymore either, righ?

If you're rooting for a P5 school, then you've been rooting for mercenary players that are less students than a minor league for the NFL. Don't be naive.
Yeah but there used to be some semblance of college. At least some resemblance of college.
If that is how you feel, okay!

I guess you won't be posting anymore either, righ?
Maybe not for too much longer, depending on how it all shakes out. Or I might post but never watch any games.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
This x1000. Very well said.

I don't want or need and NFL light. So long CFB. You are just another poor mans NFL. Revenue sharing getting around title 9. GTFOH.
It’s the players that are not good enough for the big NIL deals , and our pussie commissioner willl gone in !

See ya!

Realistically these athletes need to go to their senators and congressmen and tell them to reform title IX. Until that happens none of them are seeing a nickel.

Yes, a number of traditional fans of college football are expressing outrage over the changes. I get that people don't like change. BUT I really doubt very many of those people will actually follow through and quit watching or stop paying attention to the scores in the fall. It kind of reminds me all those celebrities that keep threatening to leave the United States to get attention but how many of them actually follow through. Only a handful.

Separately, regarding those celebrities, I'd gladly contribute toward a fund to buy them one-way tickets out of here as long as they agreed to sign a contract stating they'd never come back in the future.
I think I'm only struggling with the colossal amount of change all happening virtually simultaneously. That, and how all these new rules will likely end up benefitting programs in higher population areas - AKA, they have more overall money for various reason, regardless of

Perhaps I'm way off, but I believe that will be the overall trend. I couldn't care less if players are getting paid - so long as there is a cap. I do think that a teenager getting a massive $ contract will result in more douchebaggery, but that is a whole other discussion. 😂

I think I'm only struggling with the colossal amount of change all happening virtually simultaneously. That, and how all these new rules will likely end up benefitting programs in higher population areas - AKA, they have more overall money for various reason, regardless of

Perhaps I'm way off, but I believe that will be the overall trend. I couldn't care less if players are getting paid - so long as there is a cap. I do think that a teenager getting a massive $ contract will result in more douchebaggery, but that is a whole other discussion. 😂
Well if it's fairness or a more level playing field people are looking for then ironically that may mean one super conference for the topmost teams. Now that isn't fairness for all teams, just those in the super conference. A super conference likely would impose a more equal set of rules including compensation caps, transfer rules and the like to equalize the competition. It wouldn't be good for the super conference's media contract to have one or two teams dominating everything. But of course that pretty much throws "amateur students" out the window. I'm not sure though that hasn't already happened some time ago.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Laugh if you want. But some of us actually think there's more to life than who can put a ball across a line or through a hoop.
Here I am going to express the way I see it, and you can agree or not. Quite honestly I agree with what you are saying. I also agree with the OP ideal, but I am not going to quit watching.

The point of going to college is to receive an education to go out into the world and provide society some assistance with the skills you have gained. If you want to play college football while you are attending college, and they are giving you a free ride to gain a degree by doing so... That should be enough.

You might as well take "College" out of College Football if this is the path it is going to take. Hell it has already lost a lot of eyes due to the fact it is all about the SEC these days.

The point is you might as well call it Minor League Football, because paying players to play defeats the purpose of what going to college is all about.

But for 80% of the players and probably more, it is still about getting an education. As usual in our world we cater to the minority. Most of these kids are good with the free ride and the education. But the vocal few have started the trend toward pay for play and the rest just said sure, I’ll take money.

I never understood the “revenue sharing” position of college football. The schools and the coaches are the ones that make the money and have the history.

To piggyback on that, if the player’s name, image and likeness is so valuable, what difference would it make what school they would go to? Simple, because without the name on the front, the name on the back means squat.

I know companies pay their employees bonuses and stock options but if a company or a business idea is successful, the employees don’t get to claim credit and reap the rewards for the success of the idea. Joe in accounting didn’t do anything but count beans and if he didn’t do it, someone else would. Just like the QB does nothing but play football and in between 6 months and 5 years, that QB will be gone and replaced by someone else.

I don’t have a problem with kids getting theirs, I do have a problem with the level of entitlement that some of these kids have. In some cases, they truly believe that they are the reason that football is played.

Laugh if you want. But some of us actually think there's more to life than who can put a ball across a line or through a hoop.
Yeah, nothing says "I have far better things to do" than bawling your eyes out on multiple sports message boards at all hours of the day and night.

Isn't this about the 5,000th time you've threatened to take your ball and go home? Just go already. Nobody gives AF.

But of course that pretty much throws "amateur students" out the window. I'm not sure though that hasn't already happened some time ago.
To expand on this point (schuele, you can answer this too)....

What's to prevent a school from hiring some NFL players? Some guys that just barely missed making the roster. Or what if an NFL player wants to help his alma mater...and he puts it in his contract that he's allowed to play on Saturdays.

As long as they're enrolled in school and taking a class or 2....why not??

But for 80% of the players and probably more, it is still about getting an education. As usual in our world we cater to the minority. Most of these kids are good with the free ride and the education. But the vocal few have started the trend toward pay for play and the rest just said sure, I’ll take money.

I never understood the “revenue sharing” position of college football. The schools and the coaches are the ones that make the money and have the history.

To piggyback on that, if the player’s name, image and likeness is so valuable, what difference would it make what school they would go to? Simple, because without the name on the front, the name on the back means squat.

I know companies pay their employees bonuses and stock options but if a company or a business idea is successful, the employees don’t get to claim credit and reap the rewards for the success of the idea. Joe in accounting didn’t do anything but count beans and if he didn’t do it, someone else would. Just like the QB does nothing but play football and in between 6 months and 5 years, that QB will be gone and replaced by someone else.

I don’t have a problem with kids getting theirs, I do have a problem with the level of entitlement that some of these kids have. In some cases, they truly believe that they are the reason that football is played.

employees will always leverage to get more and employers will always leverage to keep more

To expand on this point (schuele, you can answer this too)....

What's to prevent a school from hiring some NFL players? Some guys that just barely missed making the roster. Or what if an NFL player wants to help his alma mater...and he puts it in his contract that he's allowed to play on Saturdays.

As long as they're enrolled in school and taking a class or 2....why not??
Well for one, they likely played in college before and exhausted their eligibility under current rules.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT