ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: More Big Ten Expansion

Tough spot but that figure is roughly the revenue gap between a BIG school and an ACC school over a ten year span

UNC and Florida St will receive approx a half a billion dollars less over a ten year span versus Purdue or Rutgers
Exactly. The Big 10 controls the narrative. The SEC has the better product but the Big 10 has the population and alumni, therefore the money.

I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual invites of Washington and Oregon was part of the sales pitch the Big 10 made to USC and UCLA - as it stands now, USC and UCLA are going to be completely isolated on the West Coast and two time zones away from their closest conference opponent - the invites of two additional Pac 8 rivals in the Pacific Time Zone would certainly make the move easier to swallow for their fanbases.
USC and UCLA joining the B1G makes zero sense. None.

USC and UCLA joining the B1G makes zero sense. None.
Depends on what criteria you're using to judge whether the outcome is successful or not. Makes sense from a TV eyeballs perspective because LA is a huge market with lots of B1G alums living there. B!G teams facing off against the well-known names of USC/UCLA also will draw big ratings back in the historical B1G footprint. Obviously using a different set of criteria though (eg. the cross country travel requirements) not so much sense.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Depends on what criteria you're using to judge whether the outcome is successful or not. Makes sense from a TV eyeballs perspective because LA is a huge market with lots of B1G alums living there. B!G teams facing off against the well-known names of USC/UCLA also will draw big ratings back in the historical B1G footprint. Obviously using a different set of criteria though (eg. the cross country travel requirements) not so much sense.
The travel alone should be a disqualifier. It’s ridiculous.

Eh, it's the 21st century. Travel not a big deal for football money
For a bunch of 18 to 22 year olds trying to play school it’s ridiculous. 95%+ of these guys are never going to play football after college. The B1G is already making an insane amount of money without subjecting their players to crazy cross country plane rides. In this age of supposed environmental concern it’s a joke. It’s completely illogical on multiple fronts.

For a bunch of 18 to 22 year olds trying to play school it’s ridiculous. 95%+ of these guys are never going to play football after college. The B1G is already making an insane amount of money without subjecting their players to crazy cross country plane rides. In this age of supposed environmental concern it’s a joke. It’s completely illogical on multiple fronts.
I don't think for football players at least, the travel is that bad at all. I'd rather take a chartered airline flight to LA than a bus ride to Ames. How long does a direct charter flight from Lincoln to LA take these days? Now for non-football sports, yes it may be more of an issue.

P.S. Another benefit of course with the LA teams is that future recruiting should be a bit easier in Southern California.

I don't think for football players at least, the travel is that bad at all. I'd rather take a chartered airline flight to LA than a bus ride to Ames. How long does a direct charter flight from Lincoln to LA take these days? Now for non-football sports, yes it may be more of an issue.

P.S. Another benefit of course with the LA teams is that future recruiting should be a bit easier in Southern California.
A bus ride to Ames is a couple of hours. A plane ride to LA or Rutgers involves a bus ride to the airport, then security, then boarding and taxiing, then getting your bag etc etc. NU is in a better spot than many B1G teams to go west but damn. I’ve made that trip many times but even with a nonstop it’s exhausting.

Except there isn’t going to be a B1G West division anymore. So we better be prepared to compete against OSU, PSU, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. I hope Rhule is the coach who can get us there. For 22 years, both in the Big 12 North, and the B1G West (except for the first two years) we have played in the weakest divisions in college football and failed to win a damn thing of importance. So we are now going to have to step it up big time if NU football is to avoid falling into the bottom tier of B1G road kill.
Oregon has Nike money behind and Washington does not lacked funding. There are many rich and powerful Husky Alumni. Washington prep sports are very good. There are numerous FBS quality athletes coming out of the state every year. There are amazing amount of NBA players from Seattle. Jamal Crawford, Michigan, Jason Terry, Arizona and Zach LaVine, UCLA, all are from the Seattle area, Hailey Van Lith is from Wenatchee and the excellent distance runner for Okie State Taylor Roe is from another Seattle suburb. Nebraska's Adam Carriker is from Richland.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
True, which is why I think sooner than later the B1G and SEC will pull away from ncaa and form their own league of sorts with little to no more playing school lol.

A bus ride to Ames is a couple of hours. A plane ride to LA or Rutgers involves a bus ride to the airport, then security, then boarding and taxiing, then getting your bag etc etc. NU is in a better spot than many B1G teams to go west but damn. I’ve made that trip many times but even with a nonstop it’s exhausting.
If someone offered me the choice between a free jet ride from Lincoln to LA or a bus ride to Ames, I'd still pick the LA jet ride. :) And I think the prospect of going to LA to play football games vs. going to Ames would also be more attractive to potential football recruits.

Last edited:
I think it makes total sense. Expansion is happening either way. Get the teams you want and figure out the rest later. They will have 4 or 5 road games a year. Subtract off when they play each other. They already had CU in their conference. Google says an extra 50 minutes for a flight from LA to Omaha vs. LA to Seattle. I'm guessing they play 3 road games every 2 years max against eastern division opponents. Not a big deal.

I think it makes total sense. Expansion is happening either way. Get the teams you want and figure out the rest later. They will have 4 or 5 road games a year. Subtract off when they play each other. They already had CU in their conference. Google says an extra 50 minutes for a flight from LA to Omaha vs. LA to Seattle. I'm guessing they play 3 road games every 2 years max against eastern division opponents. Not a big deal.
Personally I don’t want Pac12 teams and the B1G doesn’t need them.

The question to USC/UCLA was would you be willing to travel east on a regular basis for an extra 60 million per year

The question to the BIG schools was would be willing to travel west on occasion for an extra 30 million per year each

The answer in both cases was an emphatic YE$

The upcoming media deal was negotiated with USC and UCLA factored in

There is also talk of a Midwest campus for those schools to ease the travel burden

The question to USC/UCLA was would you be willing to travel east on a regular basis for an extra 60 million per year

The question to the BIG schools was would be willing to travel west on occasion for an extra 30 million per year each

There is also talk of a Midwest campus for those schools to ease the travel burden
So when is UC-Indianapolis going to open? 🤔

I don't think anything is too expensive for the Big 10 or SEC if the fit is right and everyone is committed. The Big 10 always seems to be thinking ahead and they have old school money. If it helps them they will pay.
To expensive? It’s like 13 years at 30 some million there is no way in hell the big or Sec is paying that.

So when is UC-Indianapolis going to open? 🤔
Shared campus where athletic teams go stay for 1-2 weeks and play their away games - classes on zoom/recorded - then return to LA for a stretch of home games

In a 9 game conf schedule with 4 away conf games - that would mean only 2 trips east

Reactions: saluno22
Shared campus where athletic teams go stay for 1-2 weeks and play their away games - classes on zoom/recorded - then return to LA for a stretch of home games

In a 9 game conf schedule with 4 away conf games - that would mean only 2 trips east
I feel like the 49ers have done that when there schedule rotation is against one of the East Divisions and they request back-to-back road games. Can't remember where they stayed.

They actually do need them because the SEC is more attractive to schools like UT, OU, etc. So if you have a chance to get a blueblood in a new TV market which happens to be one of the largest in the country, then you take them. The Big 10's history in Cali only sweetens the deal.

Expansion is happening either way. Better to get some good teams and not see the SEC run away with the expansion wars.

I agree with this. I assume the players go through private security. All their stuff is transported for them except they have a small carryon like a backpack. Three hour chartered direct flight that is good uninterrupted study time if they want to study. Not much different than flying to Ann Arbor in my book.

It’s a giant F you to their players IMO. Money grab.

Only Tulane and Georgia Tech are AAU members. Georgia Tech is stuck in the ACC. Tulane is highly unlikely as a possibility for B1G expansion. They already have teams like Northwestern and Rutgers, they aren't likely to take another bad athletic program into the fold.
You can include UN as a bad athletic program, at least for now.

We may eventually only have these megaconferences in football +/- mens basketball with the remaining sports reverting back to regional groupings or conferences

Sounds like a great idea🙄

Florida has already 'unofficially' let it be known that they will be opposed to offering two other schools in the state membership in the SEC. Miami cannot be entirely sure of an offer. South Carolina feels the same about Clemson, but they probably do not have the horses to stop an offer. The BIg 12 could wind up with a nice little pod in the East - North Carolina St., Virginia Tech., to go along with West Virginia and Cinncy. If I read the numbers correctly, the Big 12 can already offer an ACC member more money than it can get while staying in the current ACC. Yormark negotiated a Pro-Rata clause in the Big 12 media contract. They will pay a new member of the Big 12 the same money as the current members, as long as that new school comes from a Power 5 conference. Duke does not give a shit about FB. They will fit nicely with Kansas, Baylor, Arizona, West Virginia, Houston, and NC State, knowing they will always play UNC anyway. Most powerful BB conference, and it's not even close. Could they be the eighth? Only the shadow knows.
Crazy to think the Big XII may end up stabalizing more than the PAC and ACC. Unless the remaining ACC members formed into a coast to coast merger with the pac?

Crazy to think the Big XII may end up stabalizing more than the PAC and ACC. Unless the remaining ACC members formed into a coast to coast merger with the pac?
The big12 is a collection of undesirables, none of which the BIG or SEC is interested. Thus stability. Any of those schools would jump ship in a second if they had the opportunity

What makes the ACC and PAC unstable is the fact that several of their schools are on the Big2s radar

I think that would be the point where I dismiss college football as nothing more than minor league pro football and simply watch the NFL only.
Eventually, players will not even have to enroll. They will be employee/contractors of incorporated athletic departments. And the presidents/chancellors of the strong academic universities will be delighted to get them off campus.

PAC12 woes - they still haven’t negotiated a new media deal

I still believe the PAC is going to collapse, it's just a matter of how soon. They're just not going to get the media money needed to keep up with the college football arms race. Compounding the situation is that the media giants right now are trying to cut costs so they don't feel like giving the PAC an overblown contract either.

When the NU President is predicting further B1G expansion I'm guessing the B1G is predicting the PAC is going to collapse and there are contingency agreements to take in Oregon and Washington if/when that happens. All it takes is another defection from the PAC to start the dominos.

The big12 is a collection of undesirables, none of which the BIG or SEC is interested. Thus stability. Any of those schools would jump ship in a second if they had the opportunity

What makes the ACC and PAC unstable is the fact that several of their schools are on the Big2s radar
Big 10 and SEC have their share of undesirables as well. There is in all leagues.

The thing about it is let's just say the big 12 starts. Having teams get into championchips and head success versus big 10 and SEC. In 5 years. The whole outlook looks a lot different.

Big 10 and SEC have their share of undesirables as well. There is in all leagues.
Yes but they are already legacy members of one of the power 2 conferences and aren’t going to be kicked out.

The BIG and SEC are picking off the gems of the other power 5 conferences and those conferences are having to backfill with G5 schools.

The thing about it is let's just say the big 12 starts. Having teams get into championchips and head success versus big 10 and SEC. In 5 years. The whole outlook looks a lot different.
The B1G has Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, and Northwestern as it's undesirables and the SEC has Vanderbilt, Missouri, Kentucky, and South Carolina as it's undesirables.

Sssshhhhhh..... don't tell Kong. He thinks USC and UCLA are going back to the Pac 12 because of the possible $3 million reduction per team in the Big 10 contract.
Please don’t put words in my mouth like you did with the UCLA AD

It’s unbecoming of someone who seems like they want to be taken seriously

• Haha
Me:
Would be so funny if usc/ucla pulled out because of this

@Huskers123456:

Sssshhhhhh..... don't tell Kong. He thinks USC and UCLA are going back to the Pac 12 because of the possible $3 million reduction per team in the Big 10 contract.

Yet again, quite a bit of room between what I actually said vs what he claims I said

How could anyone trust anything he ever types?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT