ADVERTISEMENT

Should Reggie Bush be given his Heisman back?

He lost it for something they later made legal.

It's just a random thought that popped in my head adter seeing him in some commercials recently
Ok. Was wondering if there was some new info that came out.

USC and Reggie Bush were caught cheating at the time.

If insider trading becomes legal 10 years from now, all the people who got caught cheating everyone else out of their $$$$ over the last 50 years don't get their convictions overturned. It simply means the playing field has changed going forward

He lost it for something they later made legal.

It's just a random thought that popped in my head adter seeing him in some commercials recently
Wrong. It remains impermissible for a player to accept money, gifts and housing for his family from an agent looking to sign him. it was impermissible then and still is.
Also, keep in mind that the NCAA had nothing to do with him losing his Heisman. The Heisman Trust polls all potential candidates and has them swear/affirm that, among other things, they are eligible to play college football during the season in which they are up for the award. Bush lied, as him and his family accepting the items from the agency rendered him ineligible during the season in which he won the award. The Heisman trust vacated the award; the NCAA had nothing to do with it.

It was illegal then.

No I dont think he should get it back.

But at the same time, reggie bush won the heisman and everyone knows It.

I honestly cant tell you who won it this year or two years ago, but I know bush won it.

That matters more.

But he still broke the rules.

Wrong. It remains impermissible for a player to accept money, gifts and housing for his family from an agent looking to sign him. it was impermissible then and still is.
Also, keep in mind that the NCAA had nothing to do with him losing his Heisman. The Heisman Trust polls all potential candidates and has them swear/affirm that, among other things, they are eligible to play college football during the season in which they are up for the award. Bush lied, as him and his family accepting the items from the agency rendered him ineligible during the season in which he won the award. The Heisman trust vacated the award; the NCAA had nothing to do with it.

Agree with everything you said, and you educated me on how that works so thank you. But I think Reggie should get it back. I'm like 90/10 on it.

I’d rather Bud meet Pete Carroll at Hy Vee, Pete is the real criminal here.

..and USC's wins restored?

I think yes on Bush, 100% but not sure bout USC wins. Curious what others think.
Sure he should, ou in 1975 I believe won the nc in one poll because they played a in eligible player, Clemson kept there nc in 1981 after it was revealed they cheated. His accomplishments were on field. The biggest question is would have Reggie still went to usc if he wouldn’t have been paid. Imo he still would have let him have it

Given that Johnny the Jet knocked off a gas station, I've never wanted to get too sanctimonious about Reggie Bush's Heisman.

Reactions: NebChicago
If you got a speeding ticket in 1980 for going 70 mph on I80 should you get your money back in 2000 when they raised it to 70?

I got a speeding ticket on I80 for going 68 back in 1995.

The speed limit on I80 was 55 not all that long ago. 55 MPH on an actual interstate that everybody should be able to safely travel at 85 to 90 MPH.

Our really smart people in Congress felt we would save numerous lives by dropping speed limits around the country back then.

I got a speeding ticket on I80 for going 68 back in 1995.

The speed limit on I80 was 55 not all that long ago. 55 MPH on an actual interstate that everybody should be able to safely travel at 85 to 90 MPH.

Our really smart people in Congress felt we would save numerous lives by dropping speed limits around the country back then.
Well, it was to save energy in the 70s, it just happened to also reduce the number of accidents.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
I always thought he should have it, what he did had no bearing on his performance or ability. He was the best player by a mile and he was appointment viewing. The wins I would not give back though as the rules were broken and it was a clear violation at the time.

Impossible to do I know but if he was on your favorite team when he had won and all other deets remain the same, I suspect most fans would rationalize he should get it back. USC, Pete, and California alike are easy to dislike....I suspect those influences don't help. Impossible to know how many other top CFB players were getting compensation that year but I feel like a ton were and his money didn't make him the best player. I hope it happens for him someday. Odds seem pretty slim to none though.

..and USC's wins restored?

I think yes on Bush, 100% but not sure bout USC wins. Curious what others think.

They should both get their trophies...in miniature form (say, 6" tall or so)...and be required to post a plaque next to their tiny little trophies with an asterisk explaining why they are so tiny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT