jaimus, brenden
snyder, matt
stoll, jack
rose, austin

gifford, luke
roberts, avary

Is 15 returning starters a good thing?
are the 7 replacements decent?
I think the 2018 schedule is supposed to be harder then this year, but I think Riley should have a shot to show what he can do with his players in his system (not to turn this into a keep or fire riley thread)
but I want to see what his system can do when it's stocked properly.
will we be good next year? I see signs of the players starting to form into a decent unit. and seeing a lot come back, I don't want to see it all broken up again.

this is the list I used:
http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/nebraska/91303

The only seniors starting right now are

Offense: DPE (Lindsey). Hoppes (Snyder/Stoll). McNitt (Rose/Miles).

Defense: Weber (Berry).

Special Teams: Brown (?)

Jones will probably start on D when he gets healthy and Newby and Kalu will contribute. I don't see Knevel or Conrad getting their spots back.

Reactions: redwine65
so that means 18 returning starters.
and I always felt the best jump for players talent on average is, in between their jr and sr years.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
The number of returning starters is the most over valued and over hyped stat used in college football. Is a returning QB that throws 16 INT's a good thing? No. Is a QB returning that has 40 touchdown passes and just 4 INT's a good thing? Obviously.

What matters more than starters returning is the quality of coaching. Michigan replaced their entire defense (almost literally) and dominated Florida to open the season.

The number of returning starters is the most over valued and over hyped stat used in college football. Is a returning QB that throws 16 INT's a good thing? No. Is a QB returning that has 40 touchdown passes and just 4 INT's a good thing? Obviously.

What matters more than starters returning is the quality of coaching. Michigan replaced their entire defense (almost literally) and dominated Florida to open the season.
But Florida is trash

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
I’ll say this now. If Riley and all the staff returns, yes we will be very experienced and set for a solid season next year. If the new AD is stupid enough to fire Riley after this season, then NO, we will be unexperienced next season as all these kids will be learning new offenses and probably defenses all over again. That’s exactly why I keep saying Riley deserves 2 more years minimum (minus any huge meltdowns). His next year team could be very solid to very good. 2 years under Diaco, And all the returning starters we’d have back on offense will helps us tons. We got to bring Riley back and let him fail completely before giving up on him. We are close to having an experienced, solid team next year that has a chance at conference title run.

jaimus, brenden
gifford, luke

I understand the depth chart you are using, but I question (because I do not know) what the media considers a "returning starter" each year and how it differs from a player that has started multiple games before... aka "starting experience".

To me, I never really paid attention enough to realize there is probably a difference between the two.

Jaimes and Gifford are starters at the moment... but Jaimes is due to injury, yet it is multiple games. Gifford is just a starter IMO.

So what if Jaimes ends up starting, say 5 games this fall. Then Knevel or Farniok takes back over. Is Jaimes a returning starter?
OcaeTjr.gif

Looking at starting experience next year (at least one game), we will have:

Offense
QB Lee
RB Bryant, Wilbon, Ozigbo (Wyo 2016)
WR Morgan, Spielman
OL Farmer, Gates, Foster, Conrad, Decker, Farniok, Jaimes

Defense

DL Akinmoladun, Stoltenberg, Davis
LB Gifford, Young, Davis
DB Reed, Williams, Lee, Jackson

23 returning starters :D

Reactions: redwine65
I’ll say this now. If Riley and all the staff returns, yes we will be very experienced and set for a solid season next year. If the new AD is stupid enough to fire Riley after this season, then NO, we will be unexperienced next season as all these kids will be learning new offenses and probably defenses all over again. That’s exactly why I keep saying Riley deserves 2 more years minimum (minus any huge meltdowns). His next year team could be very solid to very good. 2 years under Diaco, And all the returning starters we’d have back on offense will helps us tons. We got to bring Riley back and let him fail completely before giving up on him. We are close to having an experienced, solid team next year that has a chance at conference title run.

I just looked at 2018, it really doesn't seem much different then this year.
we have to play wisconson,ohio state, and michigan at their place.
but for some reason penn state drops off the 2018 games, and we get colorado at home instead of at oregon. michigan state, at home but at iowa.

I agree, about not blowing everything up, unless riley really derails. and 2019 is looking like a gravy run (compared to 2017 & 2018), especially if riley is reloading properly. we seem to have the vital position of qb in order now, with qb's designed for riley's system.

https://hailvarsity.com/nebraska-football/schedule/2019

Last edited:
I understand the depth chart you are using, but I question (because I do not know) what the media considers a "returning starter" each year and how it differs from a player that has started multiple games before... aka "starting experience".

To me, I never really paid attention enough to realize there is probably a difference between the two.

Jaimes and Gifford are starters at the moment... but Jaimes is due to injury, yet it is multiple games. Gifford is just a starter IMO.

So what if Jaimes ends up starting, say 5 games this fall. Then Knevel or Farniok takes back over. Is Jaimes a returning starter?
OcaeTjr.gif

Looking at starting experience next year (at least one game), we will have:

Offense
QB Lee
RB Bryant, Wilbon, Ozigbo (Wyo 2016)
WR Morgan, Spielman
OL Farmer, Gates, Foster, Conrad, Decker, Farniok, Jaimes

Defense

DL Akinmoladun, Stoltenberg, Davis
LB Gifford, Young, Davis
DB Reed, Williams, Lee, Jackson

23 returning starters :D
thats the kind of fountain of depth we need :Cool:

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
I just looked at 2018, it really doesn't seem much different then this year.
we have to play wisconson,ohio state, and michigan at their place.
but for some reason penn state drops off the 2018 games, and we get colorado at home instead of at oregon. michigan state, at home but at iowa.

I agree, about not blowing everything up, unless riley really derails. and 2019 is looking like a gravy run (compared to 2017 & 2018), especially if riley is reloading properly. we seem to have the vital position of qb in order now, with qb's designed for riley's system.

https://hailvarsity.com/nebraska-football/schedule/2019

Pretty sure that shows NIU on the 2019 schedule... how can that be easy!!?? :)

2019 has 9 wins written all over it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT