ADVERTISEMENT

Should Mo be kicked off the team?

Should Mo be kicked off the team

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Whether "every single person" has done worse is not the point. I would guess some who have done worse have also got into some trouble. Doing worse and getting caught/charged/convicted are all different.

As a society, we don't each get to set our own standards. Our elected officials have done that. Laws are laws rules are rules, no matter if I like or agree with them or not.

Then throw in he is an athlete at a university who has talked about a higher standard and better culture. I would also guess there are some team guidelines for the use of any drug that is illegal.
Are you suggesting a zero tolerance policy then for all student athletes? You do know our probable starting RB was kicked off GT team for repeated use right?

The governor signs a hemp farming bill into law and we are going to punish a kid for a pipe. Seems hypocritical. The state government knows it is just a matter of when a Democrat gain power weed will be legalized nationwide and they want their feet firmly in the farming door. This is BS.

The governor signs a hemp farming bill into law and we are going to punish a kid for a pipe. Seems hypocritical. The state government knows it is just a matter of when a Democrat gain power weed will be legalized nationwide and they want their feet firmly in the farming door. This is BS.
I don't know what planet you are from, but it's always like that.. if the government does it, it's ok. If a citizen does it, it's against the rules.

He hasn't been handed a sentence for the felony charge, yet. Need I remind some of you, this country stands for "innocence until proven guilty".

I get that many fans have already sentenced him. You're entitled to your opinions.

With this new strike on him, I get that many want him gone. Right now, we owe it to him to act as if he is innocent. If he turns out guilty of the first charge, then let him go.

For now, i vote, "no".

Give it a month or two.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting a zero tolerance policy then for all student athletes? You do know our probable starting RB was kicked off GT team for repeated use right?

I am aware of what Mills reportedly did at GT. I also know that had consequences for him. Do you think the coaches have addressed this specific topic with Mills and other athletes? How about performance enhancing drugs?

My point was there are various opinions on what is right or wrong, against the law or worth even messing with. Everyone doesn't get to decide that, much of that has already been decided. Whether I did that or worse things in my life has zero bearing on this case. Our actions are compared to the standard of the law and university/team standards. Would they kick a kid out of school who didn't go to class? No law against it, yet there is a standard by the school.

What I don't get is the acceptance of putting drugs in one's body, especially at a young age and an athlete. Accepting it as a society doesn't make it better, just accepted. Do you suppose coaches have a policy that says, hey guys, we know you are going to do some weed, it is OK for you (we know it is not), just don't get caught because then we have to do the public two-step tap-dance.

Edit: Note I didn't say whether he should be kicked off the team or not. I don't know enough of all circumstances or rules set by staff.

Last edited:
Glad the paraphernalia had nothing in it, no one even knows whether it was Mo's or someone else's like a friend that left it there. Mo is innocent until proven guilty. This is just a slap on the wrist, he should be back for practices soon.

Its a Citation. Its not even a slap.

He hasn't been handed a sentence for the felony charge, yet. Need I remind some of you, this country stands for "innocence until proven guilty".

I get that many fans have already sentenced him. You're entitled to your opinions.

With this new strike on him, I get that many want him gone. Right now, we owe it to him to act as if he is innocent. If he turns out guilty of the first charge, then let him go.

For now, i vote, "no".

Give it a month or two.
Innocent until proven guilty is a criminal standard - it doesn't have anything to do with whether you remain on a football team.

That said, I wouldn't cut him loose for these incidents either. I've never smoked weed or sent a revenge text, but did plenty stupider things when I was his age.

If Frost sees a pattern here and decides Washington is a bad element who needs to go, fine. But if he weighs these two incidents and decides they don't add up to dismissal, that also seems reasonable to me.

Reactions: anon_d3ycxo0rdg6ko
A big part of it is what he's been doing behind the scenes since his FIRST arrest. I have no inside knowledge at all but people have hinted in the past that he's a sorta clueless kind of guy who just can't get out of his own way and make good decisions. If he's truly trying to better himself and slipped up in an epicly dumb way that's one thing, if he's breaking rules left and right that's another. Like someone else mentioned he's obviously had a tough situation growing up but he's also been surrounded by a LOT of people trying to help him in more recent years.

I don't get the vibe that he's a bad human or anything like that at all but either way - two run-ins with the law, with the first one being initially charged as a felony, is a REALLY hard thing for NU to grapple with.

Using Mills as an example would seem to support the opinion that Mo should be kicked off the team. He broke team rules regarding weed and the coach held his ground, showed some tough love and held the kid accountable. Hopefully Mills learned from the consequences and will come out the other side more mature and able to make better choices. I find it ironic that many on here are quick to call todays’ youth lazy, dumb, unmotivated, unwilling to pay their dues, spoiled, entitled and above reproach, yet many of the same are willing to overlook Mo’s poor decision making regarding laws/rules and let him skate by. At some point, authority figures (teachers, parents, coaches, law enforcement, etc) need to ask themselves if allowing or enabling someone to continually make poor decisions and/or break rules is really in the best interest of the individual in his/her long term development.

If he is getting busted for pot while being out on bail and going through the court process for a felony he has proved he might not have the ability to stay out of trouble. I couldn't care less about the pot or pipe if he wasn't already on a short leash. I would imagine Frost will eventually have enough of reading negative articles with Mo and the Nebraska football team being mentioned. That being said I hope he stays on the team just because he is a star on the field. Yes that probably makes me a bad person but I don't care.

He has a pending court case in CA that involves a video he was told to destroy, so he sends it to the girl in the video. Good decision making or bad?

With the pending case still going on he has the current issue with drug paraphernalia. Good decision making or bad?

It is my understanding he went to multiple high schools and had disciple and academic issues as part of the reasons for the multiple schools. Good decision making or bad?

He is an elite athlete and seems to have been able to learn that elite talent means he doesn’t have to make good decisions to continue on, just be an elite talent.

Mo does seem to learning the system well.

I voted NO. That’s not to say he should or shouldn’t. But I’m a Husker and players of his talent is going help Frost get the Huskers back up there again. He’s a talent that can take it to the house from the back field as a RB or even slotted out as a WR. You could see the talent as a true freshman last year without (or barely) any D1 S&C. He’s one of those special ones and I’d hate to see him go and a team like Colorado, Iowa or all most any D1 school out there, I’d hate to see one those guys sign him...and believe me....someone WILL. I for one, rather not see him tearing it up for another team.

Last edited:
I posted this same poll back in Feb with 45% saying he should be kicked off the team. Interesting to see the results now.
Yes, I was a No in February too

It is simple... Yes he is a young kid and being young gives you a little leway when making a mistake. Yes, his talent is definitely needed on this team.

Now the reality. I don't give a **** if he smoked weed or did meth. It is the fact he was doing something illegal in the state of Nebraska when he was already skating on thin ice. You can't just keep giving a kid more rope to hang himself with. Him smoking weed shows that he really don't give a shit about what anyone thinks, and he will continue to do what he wants. All while making Frost look like the bad guy for keeping him on.

Let him be someone elses problem, because Frost is more important in the long run.

Using Mills as an example would seem to support the opinion that Mo should be kicked off the team. He broke team rules regarding weed and the coach held his ground, showed some tough love and held the kid accountable. Hopefully Mills learned from the consequences and will come out the other side more mature and able to make better choices. I find it ironic that many on here are quick to call todays’ youth lazy, dumb, unmotivated, unwilling to pay their dues, spoiled, entitled and above reproach, yet many of the same are willing to overlook Mo’s poor decision making regarding laws/rules and let him skate by. At some point, authority figures (teachers, parents, coaches, law enforcement, etc) need to ask themselves if allowing or enabling someone to continually make poor decisions and/or break rules is really in the best interest of the individual in his/her long term development.
Mills failed 3 drug tests - https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ills-pledges-comeback/1yjWbrdf35Ql1vZHpYMJ0J/

Reactions: huskerssalts
Yes, I was a No in February too

It is simple... Yes he is a young kid and being young gives you a little leway when making a mistake. Yes, his talent is definitely needed on this team.

Now the reality. I don't give a **** if he smoked weed or did meth. It is the fact he was doing something illegal in the state of Nebraska when he was already skating on thin ice. You can't just keep giving a kid more rope to hang himself with. Him smoking weed shows that he really don't give a shit about what anyone thinks, and he will continue to do what he wants. All while making Frost look like the bad guy for keeping him on.

Let him be someone elses problem, because Frost is more important in the long run.

Right and it’s such BS. Huskers are almost looked at as to kick him. And then another team can then jump all over him and claim, “Oh he’s changed now, we will give him a chance” and then it’s ok. It really shouldnt be OK, when a player screws up bad enough and gets kicked off a team...he’s now not allowed back into any D1 team...assuming what said player did was bad enough.

Yeah, I know. The point was that Mills was held accountable and hopefully has gotten is priorities straight and is ready to move forward. I don't know what the consequences are for first time infractions for the football team or for UNL's dorm policies, or whatever. Whatever the consequences are, Mo should be held to them. If someone has displayed a pattern of poor-decision making (not saying Mo has or hans't), making excuses for him like; he is young, or we all did dumb things, or it isn't really that big of a deal, or everyone does it, isn't really helping him long term.

Yeah, I know. The point was that Mills was held accountable and hopefully has gotten is priorities straight and is ready to move forward. I don't know what the consequences are for first time infractions for the football team or for UNL's dorm policies, or whatever. Whatever the consequences are, Mo should be held to them. If someone has displayed a pattern of poor-decision making (not saying Mo has or hans't), making excuses for him like; he is young, or we all did dumb things, or it isn't really that big of a deal, or everyone does it, isn't really helping him long term.
He'll either get his act together or eventually have a meeting with Frost followed by a news release that he's received his release from the program. Or he'll go into the portal.

Reactions: CheeseRunza
I voted NO. That’s not to say he should or shouldn’t. But I’m a Husker and players of his talent is going help Frost get the Huskers back up there again. He’s a talent that can take it to the house from the back field as a RB or even slotted out as a WR. You could see the talent as a true freshman last year without (or barely) any D1 S&C. He’s one of those special ones and I’d hate to see him go and a team like Colorado, Iowa or all most any D1 school out there, I’d hate to see one those guys sign him...and believe me....someone WILL. I for one, rather not see him tearing it up for another team.

So, you didn't say yes or no but because he is a valuable member of the team and is talented among other reasons he should be kept? So, what you are saying is all this doesn't depend on what they did but their relative value to the program? So a walk on would not have the same value as a starter. Amazing.

Reactions: otismotis08
Until I know all the facts (which is probably never), I say no. Should there be consequences? Of course there should. I would leave that to SF to figure out what that consequence is. If the actions are so egregious to warrant dismissal, so be it.

Reactions: Huskerpro
So based on these results compared to Feb results it looks like this weed thing really didn't changes peoples opinion for the worse on MO. Lets hope the CA judge sees in that way too.

Seems to me that if you are out on bail you would walk a very straight line “if you give a shit” about things. He has nobody to blame but himself.

Reactions: Trip_10
Seems to me that if you are out on bail you would walk a very straight line “if you give a shit” about things. He has nobody to blame but himself.

Seems to me that if you have one underage alcohol offense that you should walk a very straight line "if you give a hogeye." kirk failrentz had this issue come up when an underage hogeye player was arrested for public intoxication. The player previously pled guilty to underage possession of alcohol. It was reported that jimmie failrentz (son of kirky) blew .16.

You iwegians are always so holier-than-thou. You might want to look up the word "sanctimonious." Sorry for using a word with more than two syllables.

Innocent until proven guilty is a criminal standard - it doesn't have anything to do with whether you remain on a football team.

That said, I wouldn't cut him loose for these incidents either. I've never smoked weed or sent a revenge text, but did plenty stupider things when I was his age.

If Frost sees a pattern here and decides Washington is a bad element who needs to go, fine. But if he weighs these two incidents and decides they don't add up to dismissal, that also seems reasonable to me.

I had hopes for Frost installing a zero tolerance program in NE. He preached "And I’ll tell you this right now, if there’s anything negative about women.....we’re just not going to recruit you, period". I have lost all respect for the guy.

Also, I'm tired of the legal question about Mo's actions. Whether he is pursued in the legal area has no bearing on his character. His character is judged by his actions not the legal ramifications. If Frost was true to his word, then Washington would be gone. Frost was put to the test and failed.

Weed is illegal. We don't get to choose what laws to follow. This is another question about character. By choosing to break the law and the rules of the university, he has let down his coaches and teammates. That to me is poor character.

I had hopes for Frost installing a zero tolerance program in NE. He preached "And I’ll tell you this right now, if there’s anything negative about women.....we’re just not going to recruit you, period". I have lost all respect for the guy.

Also, I'm tired of the legal question about Mo's actions. Whether he is pursued in the legal area has no bearing on his character. His character is judged by his actions not the legal ramifications. If Frost was true to his word, then Washington would be gone. Frost was put to the test and failed.

Weed is illegal. We don't get to choose what laws to follow. This is another question about character. By choosing to break the law and the rules of the university, he has let down his coaches and teammates. That to me is poor character.

Does the guy who coaches whatever team you're actually a fan of have a zero tolerance policy?

giphy.gif

(Waiting on pins and needles for Post #2!)

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Seems to me that if you have one underage alcohol offense that you should walk a very straight line "if you give a hogeye." kirk failrentz had this issue come up when an underage hogeye player was arrested for public intoxication. The player previously pled guilty to underage possession of alcohol. It was reported that jimmie failrentz (son of kirky) blew .16.

You iwegians are always so holier-than-thou. You might want to look up the word "sanctimonious." Sorry for using a word with more than two syllables.
Wow.

Lol. Nice try

Does the guy who coaches whatever team you're actually a fan of have a zero tolerance policy?

giphy.gif

Troll or not, you have to admit there is some truth to what he says. I am not a fan of a zero tolerance policy personally. But there is a danger in going on record, using words that give the impression that you are not going have troubled kids on the roster, as Frost did. You set yourself up to fail when you don't follow through. To my knowledge, this is the first opportunity Frost has had to back up what he said. If you don't follow through people are going to question you.

I am not sure if I believe Washington needs to be dismissed. I do know that he (Washington) has shown poor decision making skills over the last 2 years and that there needs to be some ramifications for those missteps.

The hard part is that this marijuana pipe charge isn't that big of a deal to me. So if he is found not guilty in his California case and they have already kicked him off the team, he would be basically booted for having a pipe in his dorm room. Now I don't believe he is going to be found not guilty, he will eventually plea this down to something less.

The timing of this latest charge is what puts people in a bind. The lesser "crime" was committed second. If he was found with a pipe last summer, then in the fall all of the California stuff comes to light, I think there would be more people that would be on board with dismissing the player. As it is now, you almost want to wait until the California charges are litigated before making a decision......but that could be months.

giphy.gif

Is my point less valid if I'm not a Husker? Does it desire to be minimized because it's my first post? Are you deflecting in your response? I would like to challenge you to take a step back and stop thinking like a football fan. We perpetuate the behavior by rewarding players for their mistakes. Everyone should earn a second chance....how did he EARN a second chance?

Something to think about, and a question.....Where is the very fine line between "winning football games with talented players" and "clean program, high character standards"? Completely understand zero tolerance policy. But at the same time, Frost has to win football games to keep his job and that requires very talented players.....tough to assume these high talented players will always be the same guys with high character. I hope most will be, but will they all? That's tough.

Troll or not, you have to admit there is some truth to what he says. I am not a fan of a zero tolerance policy personally. But there is a danger in going on record, using words that give the impression that you are not going have troubled kids on the roster, as Frost did. You set yourself up to fail when you don't follow through. To my knowledge, this is the first opportunity Frost has had to back up what he said. If you don't follow through people are going to question you.

I am not sure if I believe Washington needs to be dismissed. I do know that he (Washington) has shown poor decision making skills over the last 2 years and that there needs to be some ramifications for those missteps.

The hard part is that this marijuana pipe charge isn't that big of a deal to me. So if he is found not guilty in his California case and they have already kicked him off the team, he would be basically booted for having a pipe in his dorm room. Now I don't believe he is going to be found not guilty, he will eventually plea this down to something less.

The timing of this latest charge is what puts people in a bind. The lesser "crime" was committed second. If he was found with a pipe last summer, then in the fall all of the California stuff comes to light, I think there would be more people that would be on board with dismissing the player. As it is now, you almost want to wait until the California charges are litigated before making a decision......but that could be months.
Like I said earlier - if Frost decides Washington is going to be a chronic pain in the neck and dismisses him, I have no problem with that. But Frost knows Mo Washington and deals with him every day - I certainly don't. I find his two offenses that we know about to be really stupid, but I don't find them all that disturbing or disqualifying like I would, for example, a violent crime. But if they are part of a larger pattern, Frost will figure that out and cut him loose.

Is my point less valid if I'm not a Husker? Does it desire to be minimized because it's my first post? Are you deflecting in your response? I would like to challenge you to take a step back and stop thinking like a football fan. We perpetuate the behavior by rewarding players for their mistakes. Everyone should earn a second chance....how did he EARN a second chance?
Your point is very valid if you also demand a zero tolerance policy of the coach who heads the program you're actually a fan of. Which program is that, and do you demand that it upholds a zero tolerance policy?

Wanting good players kicked off of teams you don't follow and don't root for isn't exactly a courageous stand.

I hope you are not in charge of the pearly gates. No one could measure up to you.

Your point is very valid if you also demand a zero tolerance policy of the coach who heads the program you're actually a fan of. Which program is that, and do you demand that it upholds a zero tolerance policy?

Wanting good players kicked off of teams you don't follow and don't root for isn't exactly a courageous stand.

Your only opinion seems to be that whatever Frost does is ok with you. Not sure one could call that over courageous.

Reactions: Husker1078
Like I said earlier - if Frost decides Washington is going to be a chronic pain in the neck and dismisses him, I have no problem with that. But Frost knows Mo Washington and deals with him every day - I certainly don't. I find his two offenses that we know about to be really stupid, but I don't find them all that disturbing or disqualifying like I would, for example, a violent crime. But if they are part of a larger pattern, Frost will figure that out and cut him loose.

Football is a violent sport. We need some violent people.. EekEekEek

Your only opinion seems to be that whatever Frost does is ok with you. Not sure one could call that over courageous.
Didn't say it was courageous. All I said was that the two incidents I know about don't seem disqualifying to me but Frost has a way better picture of the situation than I do. If you take issue with that, fine.

What he also stated....
I find his two offenses that we know about to be really stupid, but I don't find them all that disturbing or disqualifying like I would, for example, a violent crime

Sounds to me like he is taking a stand ( apparently that doesn't qualify as overly courageous by your standard) , but he can also live with a decision by SF to dismiss him. I think he speaks for a lot of us that while we don't think he should be kicked off the team, we can certainly understand the decision to do so based on the fact that SF has way more insight than any of us as to whether he deserves a chance to remain on the team or not.

I'm not sure that you are understanding my point. This isn't a comparison of program standards. This is an exercise of human decency. We should expect the same high standards from our athletes and coaches as we expect from colleagues and employees. You're not helping these athletes by overlooking their mistakes. Also, I don't believe lying is acceptable because you are a head coach.

Didn't say it was courageous. All I said was that the two incidents I know about don't seem disqualifying to me but Frost has a way better picture of the situation than I do. If you take issue with that, fine.

I don’t take issue with it. You’re more than welcome to sit on the fence.

And as I’ve said multiple times, this isn’t about the events individually. Each incident on their own probably doesn’t elevate to dismissal. However when you look at his history of discipline issues, him being asked to leave a school one month before graduation, his difficulty in getting the required grades for admission and then add to it the 2 incidents there is a pattern of poor decisions.

There comes a point where the school becomes an enabler rather than just forgiving a single mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT