ADVERTISEMENT

SEC - Just Means More

I like the idea, but I know our crusty fanbase would raise hell about it. I think internally our program has a good handle on the NIL situation and we're doing ok in the current environment. No need to get the natives looking for their pitchforks.

And hey, I'm bad at math - but how do you add a 10% fee on "all football tickets" and arrive at a 4.5% average per-seat price increase?

If you put the idea to a vote for all fanbases across the country, I'm betting it would get shot down, heavily. Not just ours. Here's a thought, if somebody likes the idea, absolutely nothing is stopping you from donating to NIL. Go for it. I just wonder if it's a good idea to start tacking on fee's to this stuff, because once it starts it will apply to a lot more. The powers that be won't be satisfied until they tack on a 10% fee to, everything...and the fee's will only go up from there.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
I guess my initial thought is how expensive ticket prices are already. It makes it tough for the average Joes & Janes to take their kids to a game.

I like the idea, but I know our crusty fanbase would raise hell about it. I think internally our program has a good handle on the NIL situation and we're doing ok in the current environment. No need to get the natives looking for their pitchforks.

And hey, I'm bad at math - but how do you add a 10% fee on "all football tickets" and arrive at a 4.5% average per-seat price increase?
Why penalize the 86000 season ticket holders? Maybe NU should demand raising tv/viewing rights fees/subscription by a buck or two a month? More people watch rather than attend. That would be the cash cow. Just sayin 🤷

Why penalize the 86000 season ticket holders? Maybe NU should demand raising tv/viewing rights fees/subscription by a buck or two a month? More people watch rather than attend. That would be the cash cow. Just sayin 🤷
NU has no control over the tv rights or fees. They directly control and receive the ticket fees. It's all about maximizing revenue where you can, up to the point that you piss off your fanbase. Which, is where my comment about our fanbase comes in. You could simply raise ticket prices 10% and they won't blink, but if you tell them you're "adding a 10% fee" they will lose their minds.

NU has no control over the tv rights or fees. They directly control and receive the ticket fees. It's all about maximizing revenue where you can, up to the point that you piss off your fanbase. Which, is where my comment about our fanbase comes in. You could simply raise ticket prices 10% and they won't blink, but if you tell them you're "adding a 10% fee" they will lose their minds.
exactly. Which is why it is so stupid to call it a 'talent fee'. Just raise the price, don't make up a stupid name. Everyone knows its not going to the athletes at the end of the day.

Ticket holders and boosters have been carrying the lions share of the load for years. Now there's nil avenues for everyone else to use and chip in their support other than buying Huskers gear. Have at it

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

Was thinking the same thing? 🥴 (the math part) Anyway, don’t Iike the idea. I have four season tickets and I’m already forced to make a donation per ticket above the retail price. Plus I’ve already donated extra to 1890 for NIL. Fine go ahead and make my very expensive tickets (plus donations) more expensive. I just won’t donate to NIL then. I’m sure people who don’t have season tickets and/or rarely go to games will think this is a great idea. Most of those people have no idea how much we pay, beyond retail, to keep/have those tickets. Hard no for me…

Was thinking the same thing? 🥴 (the math part) Anyway, don’t Iike the idea. I have four season tickets and I’m already forced to make a donation per ticket above the retail price. Plus I’ve already donated extra to 1890 for NIL. Fine go ahead and make my very expensive tickets (plus donations) more expensive. I just won’t donate to NIL then. I’m sure people who don’t have season tickets and/or rarely go to games will think this is a great idea. Most of those people have no idea how much we pay, beyond retail, to keep/have those tickets. Hard no for me…
I wish they would get rid of the donation and print on the ticket what the real ticket price per seat is. Most don't realize what the actual cost is

this isn't a penalty

it's a terrific opportunity

I like watching good players. I like landing good players. I want Nebraska Football to regain its rightful position at the top of college football.

spending your Saturdays clipping coupons is always an option.

If you put the idea to a vote for all fanbases across the country, I'm betting it would get shot down, heavily. Not just ours. Here's a thought, if somebody likes the idea, absolutely nothing is stopping you from donating to NIL. Go for it. I just wonder if it's a good idea to start tacking on fee's to this stuff, because once it starts it will apply to a lot more. The powers that be won't be satisfied until they tack on a 10% fee to, everything...and the fee's will only go up from there.
you're probably right.

there are a ton of cheap bastards with zero vision out there.

which is why the rich always get richer.

this isn't a penalty

it's a terrific opportunity

I like watching good players. I like landing good players. I want Nebraska Football to regain its rightful position at the top of college football.

spending your Saturdays clipping coupons is always an option.
Then donate to 1890

I do.

I'm not the problem.

it's the "fans" who don't want to support the team (there are many) that this captures.

great idea IMO.
I don’t always agree with your takes on stuff. But I totally agree on this one with you. And before I hear all of the comments from other OPs . Yes I am a booster and season ticket holder and also donate to 1890.

Reactions: king_kong_
So you're saying the fans that pay approximately 200 per ticket to go to the game aren't fans
seems pretty short-sighted and frankly downright selfish to only want to pay $200 when paying $220 would help acquire and retain the kind of talent you're likely demanding to see in the first place.

This fee is fine as long as it’s part of the ticket’s face value, and not some surprise fee at checkout. Otherwise, it’s like ordering from a restaurant menu and being surprised by a 10% kitchen fee added to the check.

In both cases, I would rather you just set your prices and don’t bother me with your costs.

..anyone can insult me on this topic all they wish, it literally means zero to me if you look down your nose at me and others who don't like this idea. To take it further, I have never thought higher of somebody who donates to the program in whatever fashion they wish, or less of somebody who doesn't. You do you, whatever "you", you are.

I give to my church because they do a ton of good in our community, and don't we all want a better community? So should everyone who lives in said community he forced to donate to charity? Of course not. This idea is the exact same thing IMO...and who gets to decide what everyone is forced to donate to? You don't see the problem with that line of thinking? Besides all that, I'm "fee'd" and "tipped" out. Tired of being nickel and dimed for, everything.

you're probably right.

there are a ton of cheap bastards with zero vision out there.

which is why the rich always get richer.
I've, as many of us, lived through 7 years of lousy football, and I never reward bad behavior or results.

It's still early and NU is definitiely trending upward, but we haven't even started to run the gauntlet yet. If and when NU starts checking multiple boxes off that prove this program will return to greatness, I might even be convinced to throw in a schekel or two. But, not until then.

Had I been making contributions to the football team during that Frost charade, that would have made me want to puke.

..anyone can insult me on this topic all they wish, it literally means zero to me if you look down your nose at me and others who don't like this idea. To take it further, I have never thought higher of somebody who donates to the program in whatever fashion they wish, or less of somebody who doesn't. You do you, whatever "you", you are.

I give to my church because they do a ton of good in our community, and don't we all want a better community? So should everyone who lives in said community he forced to donate to charity? Of course not. This idea is the exact same thing IMO...and who gets to decide what everyone is forced to donate to? You don't see the problem with that line of thinking? Besides all that, I'm "fee'd" and "tipped" out. Tired of being nickel and dimed for, everything.
again, you are not forced to purchase football tickets

many churches say if you don't tithe, you will spend eternity burning in hell - a bit more extreme than this

most people who don't require the jaws of life to pry their pennies from their pockets (@litespeedhuskerfan) are thrilled to contribute directly to their football team's ability to acquire and retain top talent
Like I said it’s all about optics. The main demographic of our fanbase(and many others) would be all up in arms if the university openly started charging a 10% “talent fee”. If they just raised the price of tickets 10% people will just shrug their shoulders and continue on with their day.

My point is to avoid the controversy all together. There is a big disconnect between the older and younger generations of Husker fans.

again, you are not forced to purchase football tickets

many churches say if you don't tithe, you will spend eternity burning in hell - a bit more extreme than this

Where did I claim buying a ticket is forced? I didn't....

Your last paragraph is overly sensationalized, false, and I wouldn't attend that kind of church, and nobody is forcing anyone else to either.

Where did I claim buying a ticket is forced? I didn't....
here's where
So should everyone who lives in said community he forced to donate to charity? Of course not. This idea is the exact same thing IMO

as for tithing, my statement not overly sensationalized or false. just fact.

The promise in Malachi is that if you tithe, the Lord will open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing such that there will not be room to receive it.

sorry.

First, they should totally do this at NU if it will help with FB.

Second, seems another easy way is to raise student ticket prices a bit. What is it now, 175 for the season?

here's where

as for tithing, my statement not overly sensationalized or false. just fact.

The promise in Malachi is that if you tithe, the Lord will open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing such that there will not be room to receive it.

sorry.

I must be blind. I still don't see where I said buying a ticket is forced...and I don't believw it is, obviously. I know because I normally dont buy them and nobody is forcing me.

...and your second paragraph doesnt say you will burn in hell if you dont give to the church either.

...sorry

...and your second paragraph doesnt say you will burn in hell if you dont give to the church either.

...sorry
if one statement is true, the contrapositive is also logically true.

c'mon, bud. let's get some horsepower to those rear wheels!

if one statement is true, the contrapositive is also logically true.

c'mon, bud. let's get some horsepower to those rear wheels!

I think yer adding 2 and 2 and getting 4.

Buying a ticket is a choice. Making somebody donate to a cause they may not believe in if they buy said ticket is forced. You know that. You're just arguing because you like the idea and think eveeyone should go along with it because you like it.

I have an idea, make it an option when you buy a ticket...like the round up at the grocery store. Do that, and nobody could possibly have a problelem with it. Inc me.

I think yer adding 2 and 2 and getting 4.

Buying a ticket is a choice. Making somebody donate to a cause they may not believe in of they buy said ticket is forced. You know that. You're just arguing because you like the idea and think eveeyone should go along with it because you like it.

I have an idea, make it an option when you buy a ticket...like the round up at the grocery store. Do that, and nobody could possibly have a problelem with it. Inc me.
if you're buying a ticket but don't want to support the current or future players directly, perhaps you'd be better suited to signing up to take a weekend class at the U

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT