ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage 2 notes

Martin Tv Show GIF by Martin

I think that just being around DR will make HH a better QB. Practice field, film room, everything. I expect they'll have some situational packages for him - goal line, short yardage, etc. I won't be surprised at all if he throws a 50yd tuddy on 3rd and short in a big game this year. When he's in the game everyone on the other side will be thinking "run" to their core.
And being around HH will make DR a better Cornhusker

I think that just being around DR will make HH a better QB. Practice field, film room, everything. I expect they'll have some situational packages for him - goal line, short yardage, etc. I won't be surprised at all if he throws a 50yd tuddy on 3rd and short in a big game this year. When he's in the game everyone on the other side will be thinking "run" to their core.
A dedicated QB coach is a big deal. Our QBs had too much resting on their shoulders last year.

Reactions: mgbreis
You have stated within the past month you wouldn’t be surprised if chubba - 3rd string at Nevada and winner of zero games in 4+ years of college - gets a shot in the NFL

But me stating the obvious - that HH was by far our best QB last year - was embarrassing

Can’t make it up, folks!
No. I said your man crush was embarrassing. Don’t let the facts get in your way. Chubba has to stay healthy for more than a week at a time or he’ll never get a shot anywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
It's pretty simple. We have to do better then HH at qb going forward. But glad to have him last year and going forward. He provides a semi-experienced backup qb while Rhule builds the qb room and provides another option at TE. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some trick plays on special teams involving him.

As explained to you multiple times. Those games were won by the defense. Haarberg stats were atrocious and they were not "By far the best" in any facet
image0.jpg
Screenshot_20240825_101018_Chrome.jpg
I just hope we can keep talking about this every week this year. Riveting stuff talking about a QB situation that we all witnessed every week last year. This subject will never get old - you would never know by our threads that we actually have new QB’s this year including the top rated QB in the 2024 class.

I just hope we can keep talking about this every week this year. Riveting stuff talking about a QB situation that we all witnessed every week last year. This subject will never get old - you would never know by our threads that we actually have new QB’s this year including the top rated QB in the 2024 class.
Right... you know I agree with you correct?

Reactions: RBigredMax
As explained to you multiple times. Those games were won by the defense. Haarberg stats were atrocious and they were not "By far the best" in any facet
image0.jpg
images

image0.jpg
The same defense was on the field for purdy and sims

Neither won a single game

Funny how that works

Keep living in denial of reality. It usually works out for grown men.

Why are we still arguing about who sucked more between HH or Purdy? 😳

FWIW… Purdy sucked more. Better passer, but overall HH was better. His passing stats only tell part of the story, his running threat and overall competitiveness and leadership makes him the better player/QB. Also HH’s size and athleticism gives him a much higher upside from a developmental aspect. But I’ve never understood why y’all are so passionate about who sucked more last year? New year and I’m hopeful that if/when he plays we’ll see an improved HH. Cut down on the turnovers and bump up his completion % about 5-10% and he’s a QB we can win with. JMO

It’s so incredibly dumb.

Reactions: RBigredMax
Why do you expect him to play well? Based on what? He did not play well last year despite your claims and those of the other HH apologists. I repeat for the hundredth time: every game we won last year was because of our defense and in spite of our offense. In spite of HH and his errant passes, turnovers, and misreads.
Perhaps he will be better with a new QB coach. Perhaps. But that has yet to be proven. All I know is he instills in me no confidence that we can have a successful season if he is our starter.
Last year was a nightmare for the QB room. Sims imploded and was a nightmare (still is), HH was not ready to play, Purdy was injured when needed.

If you read between the lines with interviews with Ron Brown, they were rewriting the playbook every week with him and Osborne. In the middle of the week, Brown and Osborne taught the staff the option. HH won more games in one season than any QB did in the Frost era. The staff knew HH wasn't ready and did everything possible to find plays he could execute. The first games he did fine, but then film was available to DC's and it showed. I think they said he had a single read on passes and if it wasn't available, tuck and run it. The year prior to HH playing, he was not in the QB room or on the practice field with the QB's, so what he did was remarkable. I am not an HH apologist. I am an HH fan; he did what was needed, when needed, and did not make any excuses; he threw no one under the bus like his previous staff did on a regular basis.

The coaches this year have raved about HH's improvement, and I believe them. DK was the best QB in the second scrimmage per Rhule. The QB room is improved due to proper coaching. DR has not been punched in the mouth yet by any defense, he is not proven anything yet, stop acting like has climbed Mt McKinley. If, at the end of the season he is as good as advertised, I will sing his praises, till then, he still a freshman with tons of hype. There are so many QB's and 5* players still not making it as a starter in the G5 and FCS level. I watched about 10 former such players in FCS games who were still trying to make their mark yesterday. The 5* QB from USC can not beat out the Soph QB from Boise. Mike Tyson said it best, "Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth."

I am so glad game day is less than a week away.

Last year was a nightmare for the QB room. Sims imploded and was a nightmare (still is), HH was not ready to play, Purdy was injured when needed.

If you read between the lines with interviews with Ron Brown, they were rewriting the playbook every week with him and Osborne. In the middle of the week, Brown and Osborne taught the staff the option. HH won more games in one season than any QB did in the Frost era. The staff knew HH wasn't ready and did everything possible to find plays he could execute. The first games he did fine, but then film was available to DC's and it showed. I think they said he had a single read on passes and if it wasn't available, tuck and run it. The year prior to HH playing, he was not in the QB room or on the practice field with the QB's, so what he did was remarkable. I am not an HH apologist. I am an HH fan; he did what was needed, when needed, and did not make any excuses; he threw no one under the bus like his previous staff did on a regular basis.

The coaches this year have raved about HH's improvement, and I believe them. DK was the best QB in the second scrimmage per Rhule. The QB room is improved due to proper coaching. DR has not been punched in the mouth yet by any defense, he is not proven anything yet, stop acting like has climbed Mt McKinley. If, at the end of the season he is as good as advertised, I will sing his praises, till then, he still a freshman with tons of hype. There are so many QB's and 5* players still not making it as a starter in the G5 and FCS level. I watched about 10 former such players in FCS games who were still trying to make their mark yesterday. The 5* QB from USC can not beat out the Soph QB from Boise. Mike Tyson said it best, "Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Where have I overhyped DR? Or even spoken as if he is going to be great? I am on record saying he will make Freshman mistakes and that we will probably only win 6 or 7 games. My one and only point about the QB room is a simple one: HH is not a P5 level QB. And he may indeed be improved. I sure as hell hope so. Because he needs to improve. And if he turns out in the end to be much better than I think then I will be thrilled and back on here admitting I was wrong. Until then I stand by my claim.

Where have I overhyped DR? Or even spoken as if he is going to be great? I am on record saying he will make Freshman mistakes and that we will probably only win 6 or 7 games. My one and only point about the QB room is a simple one: HH is not a P5 level QB. And he may indeed be improved. I sure as hell hope so. Because he needs to improve. And if he turns out in the end to be much better than I think then I will be thrilled and back on here admitting I was wrong. Until then I stand by my claim.
hopefully we only see Heinrich in mop up duty in lopsided wins. That would be a great thing for him and the program. Some low pressure game reps for our backups would be a good.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

I have looked at this also and found that being a top ranked QB does translate into stellar college careers in the majority of cases. Now thatis not always the case as a freshman. I think we need to realize howbad our QB's were last year it is not a stretch to saywe will be significantly better

I have looked at this also and found that being a top ranked QB does translate into stellar college careers in the majority of cases. Now thatis not always the case as a freshman. I think we need to realize howbad our QB's were last year it is not a stretch to saywe will be significantly better
10 Touchdowns and 16 INT's

End of story for last years QB's. It is damn near virtually impossible to be worse than that IMO.

Like RedMyMind said it is time to move on to the new era. Stop defending the crap we saw last year, and hope HH actually has improved for thus year.

The wins and losses were comparing apples to oranges. Maybe Kong would understand that if we compared something to bananas.
This is true

The apples (wins) were with a team-first guy leading the team

The oranges (Ls) were led by me-first losers who couldn’t be run out of town fast enough

Purdy ignoring the coaches and calling his own number at the goalline only to get stuffed and throw a pick against Maryland is the most disgustingly selfish thing I’ve ever seen a Husker do.

He’s the antithesis of NU football, HH personifies it.

Sorry you and others were on the wrong side of it. Nothing new. You deserve to wear it for a long, long time.

This discussion is over. Its played out exactly as expected. Good to see right thinking people come around.

Please don't ever type tuddy again.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: huntered and c3o
No. I said your man crush was embarrassing. Don’t let the facts get in your way. Chubba has to stay healthy for more than a week at a time or he’ll never get a shot anywhere.
There are a lot of players that couldn't stay healthy and you wonder what could have been. But those players were actually good. Please stop putting Purdy into that category. He has gone coast to coast proving he isn't a P5 qb and is now showing he isn't a D1 qb.

This is true

The apples (wins) were with a team-first guy leading the team

The oranges (Ls) were led by me-first losers who couldn’t be run out of town fast enough

Purdy ignoring the coaches and calling his own number at the goalline only to get stuffed and throw a pick against Maryland is the most disgustingly selfish thing I’ve ever seen a Husker do.

He’s the antithesis of NU football, HH personifies it.

Sorry you and others were on the wrong side of it. Nothing new. You deserve to wear it for a long, long time.

This discussion is over. Its played out exactly as expected. Good to see right thinking people come around.
AND/OR it had a lot to do with who the competition was.

See, how can anyone take what you say seriously then?
I answered your question. Sorry you didn’t like it.

HH beat NW, NW beat wisc, purdy lost to wisc.

Purdy never won a single game he started in his NU career.

Those are the only relevant data points available to us as it pertains to your question.

Thus, it’s what I base my answer upon.

Many here will dispute this with nothing but emotions and feelings and if onlys.

Yeah he probably never heard of them before. Not with his dad playing there and uncle coaching there. He probably has a lot to learn about being a Cornhusker.
Great point!

We were his 3rd choice after not growing up here or playing hs football here.

He has plenty to learn about the 24/7/365 fishbowl that is being the NU QB.

I’ve thought the same thing - if NU doesn’t have HH on the field other than as a backup QB, he’s being underutilized. And if we don’t have him throwing the ball from some kind of gadget play - preferably several times - we’re missing a great opportunity. Get that on film - early!

I’ve thought the same thing - if NU doesn’t have HH on the field other than as a backup QB, he’s being underutilized. And if we don’t have him throwing the ball from some kind of gadget play - preferably several times - we’re missing a great opportunity. Get that on film - early!
do we really want Heinrich throwing the ball if we don't have to have him throw the ball? Asking for a friend.

Season hinges on OL. Can we get 4 yards when we need it? Can we keep our prodigy upright? That’s it. Those questions need to be answered “yes” for every team we play outside of OSU.

Those are the only relevant data points available to us as it pertains to your question.

Many here will dispute this with nothing but emotions and feelings and if onlys.
That line if thinking is flawed.

Was 2010 Eastern Kentucky (FCS)(6-5 record) better than 2010 #10 Alabama?

Well Eastern Kentucky beat Jacksonville St
Jacksonville St beat Ole Miss
Ole Miss beat Kentucky
Kentucky beat South Carolina
South Carolina beat Alabama

That's the only relevant data point available to us so in Eastern Kentucky >>> Alabama

Reactions: OzzyLvr
That line if thinking is flawed.

Was 2010 Eastern Kentucky (FCS)(6-5 record) better than 2010 #10 Alabama?

Well Eastern Kentucky beat Jacksonville St
Jacksonville St beat Ole Miss
Ole Miss beat Kentucky
Kentucky beat South Carolina
South Carolina beat Alabama

That's the only relevant data point available to us so in Eastern Kentucky >>> Alabama
thanks.

the second data point posted is considerably more impactful on my decision

Fine, let me rephrase (which you knew this is what I was getting at originally).

What is HH's record after playing Minnesota, Colorado, Maryland, Wisconsin and Iowa?

What is Purdy's record after playing Northern Illinois, LaTech, Illinois, Northwest and Purdue?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT