ADVERTISEMENT

San Diego State may be without a conference beginning in 2024

phoenix4nu

Offensive Coordinator
May 10, 2009
They were expecting an invitation to the Pac 12 Conference, so they sent a letter to the Mountain West Conference stating that they intended to resign from the Mountain West. When they didn't get an invitation to join the Pac 12 Conference, they sent another letter to the Mountain West reaffirming their membership in that conference. But the Mountain West says that their first letter was notice that they were departing the conference, and that they can only be reinstated by vote of the other members.

"Just hours before a deadline to give the Mountain West a one-year notice of departure, San Diego State reaffirmed its membership in the conference.

So everything’s copacetic?

Apparently not.

SDSU contends it never formally left. The Mountain West, however, still insists it has.

The flurry of letters between the university and conference continued over the weekend, and now lawyers are actively involved. At issue is a $6.6 million distribution share for the 2022-23 academic year that the Mountain West is withholding to defray SDSU’s exit fee, pending reinstatement by the board.

'We will discuss the status of SDSU’s membership in the conference at a July meeting of our Board of Directors,' said a July 1 letter from Mountain West Commissioner Gloria Nevarez to SDSU President Adela de la Torre, responding to de la Torre’s letter Friday saying the Aztecs were staying in the conference.

That meeting is scheduled for July 17 and won’t include de la Torre because she was removed from the board per Mountain West bylaws for a member leaving the conference.

SDSU and Mountain West officials declined comment, as they have throughout the letter-writing episode. However, a conference source said SDSU is considering its options, including legal ones.

The Aztecs will spend 2023-24 in the Mountain West; that is not disputed because any 'resignation' would not take effect until July 1, 2024. But where it plays after that remains uncertain as it awaits a belated invitation from the Pac-12 or reinstatement from a conference it claims it never left."

https://footballscoop.com/news/san-diego-state-mountain-west-pac-12-tv-contract-seinfeld

Last edited:
You know I've been watching a lot of Seinfeld clips on youtube lately... I was going to comment how it reminded me of George quitting his job and pretending that he never did. That was before seeing the article and video above. Some other people had the same idea before me LOL

Good thread, OP

Kind of see three potential outcomes, two of which are very interesting and the third is SDSU stays in the MW

Interesting outcome 1 - they really are left out in the cold and have to scramble to exist as a fairly high-visibility independent.

Interesting outcome 2 - bidding war between conferences

Needless to say, I’ll be tuned in

Reactions: BigRedTed
I'm very serious. The rumors of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State bolting for the PAC 12 back in 2011(?) would have left NU in a nothing conference had it played out that way.

But it didn't play out that way. And instead, we've been on a downward spiral ever since. You're thankful for that?

There is no way a blue blood program like NU would have been left in a nothing conference or out on own. We are not SDSU.

I simply could not disagree with your post more. Other than the money, which has resulted in zilch, bolting for the B1G is probably the worst thing to ever happen to Nebraska football. TO and Pearlman blinked first and lost big time. The results are pretty clear and how anyone could somehow spin it any other way is beyond me. For that, I am anything but thankful.

Last edited:
But it didn't play out that way. And instead, we've been on a downward spiral ever since. You're thankful for that?

There is no way a blue blood program like NU would have been left in a nothing conference or out on our. We are not SDSU.

I simply could not disagree with your post more. Other than the money, which has resulted in zilch, bolting for the B1G is probably the worst thing to ever happen to Nebraska football. TO and Pearlman blinked first and lost big time. The results are pretty clear and how anyone could somehow spin it any other way is beyond me. For that, I am anything but thankful.
The horrible football/BB results the last 12 years have nothing to do with changing conferences IMHO. I blast TO and Perlman not for changing conferences, but for not doing true national searches for coaches.

The horrible football/BB results the last 12 years have nothing to do with changing conferences IMHO. I blast TO and Perlman not for changing conferences, but for not doing true national searches for coaches.

I blast them for both. Hiring Bo was a travesty. So was throwing their sucker in the dirt and leaving the Big 12. Great coach...horrible AD.

TO was cheap he wasn’t ever going to hire a top tier coach

Reactions: king_kong_
I blast them for both. Hiring Bo was a travesty. So was throwing their sucker in the dirt and leaving the Big 12. Great coach...horrible AD.
Meh.. I disagree. Fanbase wanted Bo. Took a five win team to 9 wins first season including a W over Clemson. Too bad TMart wasn’t the qb a year prior with Suh.

Anyway.. bo was good at first, but he lost his drive and his teams continued to get worse the longer he coached, but I wouldn’t call hiring him a travesty.

Meh.. I disagree. Fanbase wanted Bo. Took a five win team to 9 wins first season including a W over Clemson. Too bad TMart wasn’t the qb a year prior with Suh.

Anyway.. bo was good at first, but he lost his drive and his teams continued to get worse the longer he coached, but I wouldn’t call hiring him a travesty.

Not all fans wanted him. He was a petulant childish bitch with a punchable face when he was passed over for Callahan and he has been ever since. If ever there was a walking definition of "he'll never be better than a coordinator" it's him. When TO hired him to replace Callahan, he literally said, "we're pretty good on offense so I went and got a good defensive guy." For the head coach. At Nebraska. How big picture of you, Tom. He was on nobody else's radar to be a head coach. Guys like that just aren't head coaching material. Certainly not at our level. And by all accounts, there were no other candidates. Nebraska deserved better. That hiring was a travesty.

This will be interesting. I would think the mwc would want to keep sdsu. Adds value to the conference and they are implementing a big buyout starting in july, correct? Unless they are that po'd at them

Reactions: BleedRed78
This will be interesting. I would think the mwc would want to keep sdsu. Adds value to the conference and they are implementing a big buyout starting in july, correct? Unless they are that po'd at them
The Mountain West might agree to take them back, but only if SDSU gives up their $6.6 million distribution share as part of their exit fee when they left. Of course, SDSU claims they never formally left.

I think the Pac-12 would be crazy not to take San Diego State. SDSU will instantly be in the upper quarter of the conference in terms of athletics, once USC and UCLA are gone.

But I suspect the Bay Area bow ties find them unworthy.

I think the Pac-12 would be crazy not to take San Diego State. SDSU will instantly be in the upper quarter of the conference in terms of athletics, once USC and UCLA are gone.

But I suspect the Bay Area bow ties find them unworthy.
I think it’s much more likely SDSU turns a tidy profit than gets left out in the cold

Reactions: schuele
You mean another Callahan recruit?
Sure. But Callahan was coaching our team to a 5-7 record in 07 and Bo had it turned in the right direction 08-09, we just needed a ball distributor at QB 09 and we are maybe playing bama for a natty. I as well as everyone else know Bo didn’t recruit elite talent, but for is early tenure he was sure coaching and developing it

Reactions: BleedRed78
So you gotta ask why on earth they would leave an existing conference if they didn't yet have an ironclad invite from a new conference, Sound like a pretty stupid move to me.
Gotta ask if you married your first girlfriend, even though you did not have an ironclad commitment from the next one. Asking for your wife.

If we had Ganz in 09, we are probably playing for the natty, Bo didn’t start coming unhinged until TOs last years as AD

He was unhinged before that. FUSP gloves ring a bell...and everything else surrounding that? If he were truly one player away from playing for a national championship, he would have gone on to do something of substance. He did not. That hire was a joke.

Sure. But Callahan was coaching our team to a 5-7 record in 07 and Bo had it turned in the right direction 08-09, we just needed a ball distributor at QB 09 and we are maybe playing bama for a natty. I as well as everyone else know Bo didn’t recruit elite talent, but for is early tenure he was sure coaching and developing it

He was doing the bare minimum with the talent he was left. Nebraska deserved better. Hell, at a minimum, we deserved to at least look for better.

Good thread, OP

Kind of see three potential outcomes, two of which are very interesting and the third is SDSU stays in the MW

Interesting outcome 1 - they really are left out in the cold and have to scramble to exist as a fairly high-visibility independent.

Interesting outcome 2 - bidding war between conferences

Needless to say, I’ll be tuned in
Outcome #3: They get kicked out of the Mountain West and neither the PAC 12 nor the Big 12 take them. They end up joining the AAC.

why would you tell the conference your in, that your leaving..unless you had it in writing your a member of another conference? makes no sence
Yeah that’s basic 101 stuff and you think the VIPs at SDSU would have known that too. So it’s hard to understand how all of this happened. Some heads should probably roll.

BTW, maybe the Mountain West is feeling some schadenfreude at the moment. but SDSU is too valuable for them to not take back.

Reactions: redwine65
Yeah that’s basic 101 stuff and you think the VIPs at SDSU would have known that too. So it’s hard to understand how all of this happened. Some heads should probably roll.

BTW, maybe the Mountain West is feeling some schadenfreude at the moment. but SDSU is too valuable for them to not take back.
Exactly....your last paragraph my thoughts as well

Reactions: Charlie Marlow

Bo was successful early on because of Callahan's recruits. He inherited Suh, Crick, etc and gee whiz, he looked great. Bo was much better than Frost or Riley but he hated recruiting and was terrible at in-game adjustments.

Under $100k for that mistake 🤣🤣? MW has some poor ass leadership.. maybe B1G can hire him?
I don't think it was a mistake

and I also don't think it's good leadership to punish members for looking at a promotion

you are operating under the assumption the MW will be around forever. it will not and its collective bargaining power is greater with SDSU in the fold.

I don't think it was a mistake

and I also don't think it's good leadership to punish members for looking at a promotion

you are operating under the assumption the MW will be around forever. it will not and its collective bargaining power is greater with SDSU in the fold.
Cuck talk .. your wife is just looking for a promotion

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT