ADVERTISEMENT

Sam M on DBs

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007

Preseason camp feel good article quite possibly, but the news of Cam Tayor's strong play is encouraging. DB will not be the strength of the team, but maybe it won't be a liability.

Are our DB woes fixed? Nope. But it’s good to read about the process moving forward for the D backfield. I appreciate the article, but also know they have a ways to go. I like the new faces as well.

Thanks for posting.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Wasn't there a story about Jackson coming of age last year or am I mistaken? He is going to run out of years to finally reach the potential.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
Wasn't there a story about Jackson coming of age last year or am I mistaken? He is going to run out of years to finally reach the potential.
If Jackson has an epiphany this year, great! But I’m pretty excited about guys like Taylor, Thomas, some of the new guys. There will be growing pains, but nothing compared to the peewee football we saw last year.

Reactions: capt'n caveman
SF and his staff don’t come off as sunshine pumpers. They seem all business and seems like they are all the kind of men who are going to tell it how it is and you’ll always know where you stand. They don’t seem like the type of coaches that would put something out there if they didn’t truly believe it. So when coach C says he thinks the DBs are the most improved unit since the spring, I’ll take it at face value. He didn’t say they are where they need to be, and he didn’t say they are championship caliber, but he did say most improved and that he was more or less pleasently surprised.

You can read that "pleasantly surprised" several different ways. Either the group that was there prior to the new additions was not up to par, the group as a whole is improving, or the rest of the groups are improving but not nearly as drastically (see # 1). I have had time to watch a few games from the last two years here lately and the DB play was, well, it could definitely improve. Chris Jones, prior the injury was beaten like old mule while many on here touted him as a draft pick before his injury. We did load up on some good talent with the incoming class so that will pay dividends down the road. In watching some of the games it sure seems like the D was much better under Banker than it was under the highest paid assistant of all time, Diaco. This is all going to sort itself out on the field and the cream will rise. DB's can't hide, any O coordinator will find them and wear them out.

Reactions: huskerfan66
It's camp time boys! Team has never been closer, players are in the best shape of their lives, so and so is a beast, the other guy is a freak, units are definitely ready to make huge improvements over last year.

WOOOOOOOO! PASS THAT KOOL AID!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're playing mean and I want that, but I'll believe it when I see it in conference play.

I remember reading a quote from a player during the Callahan years that said they were working out so hard in the weight room that they felt like they were dancing with the devil, but it wasn't until they decided to burn the boats that I got super excited. Satanic two steps and arson, what's not to like. Love me some start of the football season!!

Preseason camp feel good article quite possibly, but the news of Cam Tayor's strong play is encouraging. DB will not be the strength of the team, but maybe it won't be a liability.

I read a quote from Chinander that basically said the veteran DBs WERE stuck in their ways and not really hustling regardless of what the coaches said. Well, then the new guys showed up with talent and hustle. Suddenly, nobody has it on easy street anymore and, just like that, Jackson and maybe another guy or two are suddenly realizing that their previous 100% effort was really more like 70%.

As far as I'm concerned, I hope they play a lot of guys early and get the best kids on the field. It certainly sounds like Cam Taylor could start at CB at some point this season.

How dare they not talk about how bad they suck.:eek:

Look, all the `see it on the field stop talkin!` Tough guys need to chill. Just ignore these fluff articles. This is how you want their mindset. I agree with your overall point but I've learned to ignore these after being burned too much. They go on everywhere for every team.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
...Riley/Diaco coached players VS Frost/Chinander coached players (+Duval developed).
It’s not even a question that the ceiling is wide open right now. Where it settles? We’ll know by December/January.
It cannot be emphasized enough how incredibly awful our talent was coached last year, so I’ll remain hopeful the defense can come out on fire.

Reactions: bshirt73
We don’t wanna sound like the guy who got paid 900,000 reasons....

“There’s no reasonable reason – considering where the defensive program was at – to believe that they should be able to do everything that needs to be done in the game, to win the game.” ~Love, Bobby

I'm just pleased to hear that they are getting some turnovers. This will challenge our young QBs with taking care of the ball right from the outset of fall camp. Better to go up against a defensive backfield that is a threat to take the ball away rather than a sieve.

ActualFeistyBettong.gif

Reactions: k9_r and TheBeav815
FWIW - Right now at this point in time, on Coach Fisher's scorecard of things done right/things done wrong to date among the corners Cam Taylor ranks first and Lamar ranks second.

They literally could just swap out a few names and publish the same articles every fall.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_284a6af9-d009-5fe0-8e10-3764192c8901.html

Don't know about you guys but I'm really excited about this new vibe Coach Diaco has our guys playing with this fall. Sounds like they're all running to the ball and finally playing together. And look out upper classmen, there's some new guys nipping at your heals!

I think Chinander is sending a clear message to the veterans in the secondary: "Wow, look at how much better we are once the new guys showed up!"

This is immediately what I thought. And I know this is a stretch but I'm also wondering why Mick and Will Honas both shouted out Maurice Washington. He probably really is the real deal already but part of me wonders if they (Frost, Chin and the seniors) are testing Maurice a little bit.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
This is immediately what I thought. And I know this is a stretch but I'm also wondering why Mick and Will Honas both shouted out Maurice Washington. He probably really is the real deal already but part of me wonders if they (Frost, Chin and the seniors) are testing Maurice a little bit.

I would guess if they are there's a good reason for that.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
It's camp time boys! Team has never been closer, players are in the best shape of their lives, so and so is a beast, the other guy is a freak, units are definitely ready to make huge improvements over last year.

x1,000,000,000

This is the season for the feel-good articles about the team. All of the previous coaching staff's problems are behind them. They all have a clear vision. The new system is light years better than before. Coach Callahan...err...Pelini...err...Riley...err...Frost has them in the best shape of their lives. They're all puking their guts out because they're working so hard.

Talk is cheap. Let's not need a last-second miracle to beat Akron, then we'll talk.

They literally could just swap out a few names and publish the same articles every fall.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_284a6af9-d009-5fe0-8e10-3764192c8901.html

Don't know about you guys but I'm really excited about this new vibe Coach Diaco has our guys playing with this fall. Sounds like they're all running to the ball and finally playing together. And look out upper classmen, there's some new guys nipping at your heals!
I think this is true of most years, however I do think things are different this year.. well, we know they are different this year. By all reports, players are being held accountable and not just by coaches, but by other players as well. For sure, there has been a culture change, and that is a good thing.

What was it coach said the other day? They have to prove it. But I do like a good story in August!

Reactions: timnsun
I think this is true of most years, however I do think things are different this year.. well, we know they are different this year. By all reports, players are being held accountable and not just by coaches, but by other players as well. For sure, there has been a culture change, and that is a good thing.

What was it coach said the other day? They have to prove it. But I do like a good story in August!

Here's an article from over a year ago titled The Husker Way To Holding Team Accountable. It's a good read. Makes me really think Riley has these guys on the right track.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/1148/the-husker-way-to-holding-team-accountable

Reactions: k9_r and TheBeav815
I'm not knocking the current coaches or the players. I'm just tired of reading the same stories and winning the fall camp sweepstakes every year. I'd rather we start beating top ten teams with some regularity again.

Also, I'm not exactly sure practice swag is a thing. I think it probably ranks right up there with mowing the lawn swag.

Last edited:
This isn’t Riley, Diaco or Williams. This is Chin, Frost and Fisher. With the right coaching this group can make jumps and bounds compared to last years coaching. I see Chin saying these DBs have improved the most since spring, I tend to believe him. Even more so when Frost tells Lamar Jackson himself “whatever you been doing, keep doing it. Keep it going”...that is saying something. I’m with everyone here, we will see how much gains are made come game time. I didn’t forget to crap show we seen last year for coaching and how it transferred over to play on the field. I been saying in for months now, with real coaching this team will look completely different this year. We have the talent and we have coaching now. Now we get to see what our boys can truly do.

Spring Game 1st quarter 5:46;
That’s our starting cornerback from last year, NO 21. I will believe that he’s better when he shows us he’s better. I think he ends up No 2 by the end of year.

I’m not trying to say this year’s team is gonna reach 8+ wins, but the upward trajectory will be apparent. Compared to the freefall disaster of last year.

And it’s a good time to remind ourselves that if Frost is not successful, the program will be dead beyond all hope. So this is the last chance we got to go all in and support the potential and opportunity in front of us. If you’re not a kool aid drinker but ever wanted to try it, now’s the time.

I think Chinander is sending a clear message to the veterans in the secondary: "Wow, look at how much better we are once the new guys showed up!"

Pennsy, I think adding transfer Tre Neal at safety is also a huge addition with his knowledge in the system.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Pennsy, I think adding transfer Tre Neal at safety is also a huge addition with his knowledge in the system.
Agreed. The veterans are on notice that they could all lose their jobs

Realistically that isn’t going to happen. All the veterans can’t and won’t lose their jobs, simply not enough dependable talent behind them. Doesn’t mean that as the year goes on and the young bucks get some experience, injuries, etc. Can you imagine the confusion in the back 4/5 should they all lose their jobs. Nope

All one really needs to do is look at some of the pictures of the players at practice to know they have put in some work this offseason. That in and of itself will make this team better. If our lines aren't getting pushed 5 yards off the ball Everyone will look a whole lot different.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I really like a lot of things in this thread. I like that our secondary has some swag. I like corners to be the most arrogant guys on the team. If they play humble, they tend to get beat. But as people pointed out, everyone has swag in fall camp. It's not until one gets beat in a game that one starts to lose that.

I like that you guys are all taking this talk with doubt. We should. Nothing has been proven. Last time we saw this team, the secondary looked lost. Hell I remember how bad the secondary tackled in 2016, especially against Tennessee, and how last year in fall camp the secondary was saying that was fixed and it wasn't.

However, the one corner that did show some promise last year was Dicaprio Bootle. He was no Patrick Peterson but he did deliver some nice hits last year. I remember one specifically against tOSU. Last year was his rFR year and I fully expect his improvement to be tremendous. We always knew he had speed, last year he looked like he could play some football too. He's one of the fines I will give MR credit for. I fully expect him to lock down a starting spot and let the other guys figure out the other spots. And if you remember, he wasn't really suppose to play last year. He was thrown into it due to injuries. So last year, he was still a little yellow.

Reactions: arf_man
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT