ADVERTISEMENT

Salvaging the Rivalry/Trophy Games

The $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy is the only one Nebraska is involved in that I give a damn about, not because I care that much about beating Minnesota, but because it came about organically outside the sterilized university board rooms.

The Freedom Trophy and Heroes Trophy are a pair of manufactured, corporate garbage. I'm not saying this because of our struggles against Wisconsin and Iowa, the game would mean just as much without the hokey trophy trying to force the rivalries into something more early in Nebraska's existence in the conference. Those games were going to turn into important matchups regardless.

The $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy is the only one Nebraska is involved in that I give a damn about, not because I care that much about beating Minnesota, but because it came about organically outside the sterilized university board rooms.

The Freedom Trophy and Heroes Trophy are a pair of manufactured, corporate garbage. I'm not saying this because of our struggles against Wisconsin and Iowa, the game would mean just as much without the hokey trophy trying to force the rivalries into something more early in Nebraska's existence in the conference. Those games were going to turn into important matchups regardless.

My thoughts exactly.

Seems that’s about all the big 10 cares about is there trophy games. They were probably cool in the 50’s and 60’s but there outdated like the rambler/Nash
They probably gained a lot of favor when the Big Ten didn't allow teams to play in bowl games other than the Rose Bowl (or go to the Rose Bowl in consecutive seasons).

I always liked the statement along the lines of "Nebraska-Oklahoma was a trophy game, too: Winner got the Big 8 title." Hopefully we can get to a conference championship level of play again.

I always liked the statement along the lines of "Nebraska-Oklahoma was a trophy game, too: Winner got the Big 8 title." Hopefully we can get to a conference championship level of play again.

By the 90’s Colorado took OU spot.. Winner of the Colorado game won the Big 8.

Reactions: saluno22
You guys whine about not being able to play, I give you a template to play and transition to 2021 and you disparage it...

How bout we call it a "Rivalry Game" rather than a trophy game... Would that allow you to stop reminiscing about the distant past and focus on the present???

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
You guys whine about not being able to play, I give you a template to play and transition to 2021 and you disparage it...

How bout we call it a "Rivalry Game" rather than a trophy game... Would that allow you to stop reminiscing about the distant past and focus on the present???

Let Warren cancel the Basketball season. Then let’s see how much U cry..

Football season in the fall for Nebraska is like Basketball in the winter to you Hoosiers..

We're not disparaging playing games, we're disparaging the concept of the disingenuous "trophy" games we personally got roped into and don't feel the same love for as the rest of the conference.

I don't think people have a problem with playing games. Had you said "play games against schools in the conference who are close by", that would pretty much be the games which have a corporately-approved trophy (Iowa and Wisconsin) and a rogue trophy administrators refuse to acknowledge in an official capacity (Minnesota).

Personally, I liked the idea thrown out over the lunch hour on one of the local Omaha sports stations: If it's a spring schedule, play only the crossover teams that aren't already on your schedule for the 2021 season.

We're not disparaging playing games, we're disparaging the concept of the disingenuous "trophy" games we personally got roped into and don't feel the same love for as the rest of the conference.

I don't think people have a problem with playing games. Had you said "play games against schools in the conference who are close by", that would pretty much be the games which have a corporately-approved trophy (Iowa and Wisconsin) and a rogue trophy administrators refuse to acknowledge in an official capacity (Minnesota).

Personally, I liked the idea thrown out over the lunch hour on one of the local Omaha sports stations: If it's a spring schedule, play only the crossover teams that aren't already on your schedule for the 2021 season.

Had you gone to my link and read the thread you would have seen that Nebraska was mentioned as either playing Wisconsin or Iowa...

We (me and another guy) thought Iowa was the more natural matchup but I doubted they'd give up the Floyd of Rosedale(?) [pig]Trophy game vs MN...

I'm guessing WI would be your game...

Try the link or just go to the Indiana Rivals site if you're skittish about hitting a link from an unknown (that I understand)....

The thread is 8 or 9 down under something close to the same title...

Last edited:
Had you gone to my link and read the thread you would have seen that Nebraska was mentioned as either playing Wisconsin or Iowa...

We (me and another guy) thought Iowa was the more natural matchup but I doubted they'd give up the Floyd of Rosedale(?) [pig]Trophy game vs MN...

I'm guessing WI would be your game...

Try the link or just go to the Indiana Rivals site if you're skittish about hitting a link from an unknown (that I understand)....

The thread is 4 or 5 down under something close to the same title...
I am okay with what is proposed in that post and would be okay with it on a permanent basis. Volleyball and baseball already do that, except they don't play conference opponents (granted, in this scenario, the Big Ten would need to make it an intra-conference affair for Spring 2021).

Wisconsin and Minnesota have the longest standing rivalry in the FBS which is a slight bigger rivalry than the Floyd of Rosedale..

Wisconsin and Minnesota have the longest standing rivalry in the FBS which is a slight bigger rivalry than the Floyd of Rosedale..

Not sure why that has anything to do with the price of bacon given that the MN vs WI game has been played exactly one year longer than MN vs IA but since this seems important to you in some way I'll not only concede that point..., I'll ask that you personally chose the Nebraska opponent...

Last edited:
Not sure why that has anything to do with the price of bacon given that the MN vs WI game has been played exactly one year longer than MN vs IA but since this seems important to you in some way I'll not only concede that point but I'll ask that you personally chose the Nebraska opponent...

Ahhh my math tells me it’s 16 games longer than the Iowa/Minnesota rivalry..129-113..

But obviously by the boarder it’s Iowa answering the question..

Reactions: 76-1
Ahhh my math tells me it’s 16 games longer than the Iowa/Minnesota rivalry..129-113..

But obviously by the boarder it’s Iowa answering the question..

I'll bow to your knowledge of their series (I went by Wikipedia dates and have little interest in either team aside from how we can beat them next time we see them) ..

So it's a Nebraska versus Iowa game and a MN vs WI matchup... Works for me...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT