ADVERTISEMENT

Runza letter to the Daily Nebraskan

Haha! That is awesome!
They usually put some unusual ingredient on it to prevent others from beating them to the rack, but that didn't always work. Seems like they used to have anchovies or some other goofy thing you could get on your pizza. I once had a shrimp pizza studying late one night, left it set out all night and then had it for breakfast the next morning. Amazingly I didn't die.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Back in the eighties I ate three runzas at a Nebraska game.
Threw up on my red and black jacket and wiped it off with my sequined glove.
I must have had puke on my parachute pants because I had to ride back to Omaha in the back of a truck.
I didn't go to the game in a truck.

Back in the eighties I ate three runzas at a Nebraska game.
Threw up on my red and black jacket and wiped it off with my sequined glove.
I must have had puke on my parachute pants because I had to ride back to Omaha in the back of a truck.
I didn't go to the game in a truck.
Something tells me it was the tequila that made you sick and not the Runzas.....

Steak n shake is awesome at 2 in the morning. I think they stopped selling them, but their lime freezes were the greatest thing on earth circa 2002.

I remember when a Chick-fil-A got put in at a certain place of business, everyone was so excited.. within a week, no one was eating there anymore. I still remember that chicken sandwich that had been sitting under the heat lamp so long, it resembled a dry cracking hard rubber eraser. gross.
Nver had anything close to bad or overheated food at chik fil la. Maybe im lucky,
So good.

It's about time the University got rid of that horrible slop, local business or not. Hopefully Dorothy Lynch Dressing will also get the boot.

Cue the outrage in 10 9 8...
Dorothy and some ranch is a good mix. Love the lynch.

Just ask for French dressing and add a bunch of sugar to it....

We were at a restaurant in Casper, WY about 10 years ago and my wife told me to get french because they didn't have Dorothy... horrible! If I ever do that again, I will try the sugar...

On a side note, my wife's grandpa makes homemade dressing that looks and tastes very similar to DL!

I am half Bohunk on my mom's side and she could cook, man o man and she made Runzas. She made the dough from scratch by sifting flour, adding some other stuff, baking powder, yeast, and put the dough in pans to rise in a warm oven after being brushed with butter. We weren't allowed to play anywhere near the kitchen lest our running around made vibration that caused the dough to "fall". Each one was like a mini loaf of airy bread stuffed with the filling. That is how I remember them from the Runza Hut in Lincoln in the late 70s, not anywhere near as good as mom's, but still very nice. The quality seemed to take a hit around the time they got rid of the car hops (1981?), then I left Lincoln. I still enjoy a Runza in the stadium every time I go back for a game; however, they are shadows of their former selves. More like a condom stuffed with some beef and cabbage a bit on the over-cooked side. Not bad, I like them, but not fluffy. But then, maybe it is an example of us remembering things in the old days more fondly and the fact that most of the time I ate them back then I was hammered drunk.

SNS may be garbage but they have aligned themselves and are represented by MSE Branded Foods which submitted the bid. MSE also represents chick fil a, subway, arbys, Duncan donuts, sam Adams, sabarro, Jamba Juice.

They are professionals.

I love a good home made pocket loose meat sandwich but they put some awful artificial seasoning in their's to I think cover up how bad the hamburger is that they use.
I think the quality has gone way downhill over the years. And from reading this thread, it seems many agree with that view.

That's too bad because I love the idea of a local business getting the nod. That's more in state money going out of state and Runza could have taken the place of steak and shake....that place is awful

Runzas burgers are lights out above any chain I know. Five Guys in my opinion is a good burger for what all they offer.

SNS may be garbage but they have aligned themselves and are represented by MSE Branded Foods which submitted the bid. MSE also represents chick fil a, subway, arbys, Duncan donuts, sam Adams, sabarro, Jamba Juice.

They are professionals.

I think we found who stands to gain from all of this ;)

I don't think anyone really cares who is coming in to replace it. Its the fact that they are replacing a local and loved place with something that isn't even as good, let alone better. It's like the scene in Tommy Boy. Just because the box has a guarantee on it doesn't mean it isn't a guaranteed piece of s***. Same here. They can be associated with all kinds of other brands and seem professional, but they are professional cat s***. And if my dog has any vote, WORSE than professional cat s***.

I think the quality has gone way downhill over the years. And from reading this thread, it seems many agree with that view.

I'm not 100% sure that that's the case. It's probably a combination of cheaper ingredients and everyone remembering the things they had when they were young much more fondly as they get older. So they aren't as good as they were but they aren't as bad as we may think they are compared to what they were.

Runza has always been Runza. There's not many ways to church up a Runza and there aren't many ways to screw up a Runza. I still knock a few back every time I go home to Nebraska, regardless.

;)
I'm not 100% sure that that's the case. It's probably a combination of cheaper ingredients and everyone remembering the things they had when they were young much more fondly as they get older. So they aren't as good as they were but they aren't as bad as we may think they are compared to what they were.

Runza has always been Runza. There's not many ways to church up a Runza and there aren't many ways to screw up a Runza. I still knock a few back every time I go home to Nebraska, regardless.
I think you might be right about the nostalgia thing. I really can't remember how good Runza was in 1972 compared with today. All I remember is how much I loved them and devoured them. And I too get them when I am home. But I don't enjoy them like I did when I was 13 or so. So it might be a false memory. There are lots of things I enjoyed more as a youngin' than I do now. ;)

I am Polish by ethnic descent. And I grew up eating foods with lots of cabbage in it. To me, that is what makes for a good Runza ... lots of cabbage flavor in the meat.

I do stand by my claim though that Valentino's pizza is not as good as it once was.

;)

I am Polish by ethnic descent. And I grew up eating foods with lots of cabbage in it. To me, that is what makes for a good Runza ... lots of cabbage flavor in the meat.

We have more in common besides just our age my friend. I’m half Polish/ German descent.Winking

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Nver had anything close to bad or overheated food at chik fil la. Maybe im lucky,
So good.
yep, depends on location and one's experience.. used to live about 2 blocks from a runza, and that location had the best burgers ever.. i'm def biased towards the runzas :)

I don't remember everything fondly. I used to walk to school three miles in the snow uphill - both ways

IMO, their food gives off a permeating foul smell before and AFTER it is eaten. Personally I don't get the fascination. I can't eat the things without a double dose of Maalox. JMHO.

It's the cabbage. It'll do it to you every time.

Didn't we just have this same discussion when they closed the damn Runza in Kansas? No issues, just want to make sure I am not misremembering.

Reactions: jlb321
Didn't we just have this same discussion when they closed the damn Runza in Kansas? No issues, just want to make sure I am not misremembering.

I think there was an expectation of a hometown discount in this case.

It is incorrect but I picture the chick fil A/SNS people showing up in business attire with a high tech presentation and the Runza person showing up in red overalls yelling “go big red” and asking where to sign

It is incorrect but I picture the chick fil A/SNS people showing up in business attire with a high tech presentation and the Runza person showing up in red overalls yelling “go big red” and asking where to sign

I really gotta ask...what is your deal with CFA and SNS? You’ve been weirdly defending two restaurants that either don’t or barely exist in Nebraska pretty hard for something so innocuous.

Not necessarily talking about that part, more about the personal tastes and Chick-Fil-A sucking and Steak and Shake being horrible and Valentino's not being what is used to be, and the I don't eat fast food etc etc etc

I really gotta ask...what is your deal with CFA and SNS? You’ve been weirdly defending two restaurants that either don’t or barely exist in Nebraska pretty hard for something so innocuous.

Why is it weirdly defending? Because the other two corporations are from out of state? The out of state corporations appear to have brought something to the table Runza didn't and they got the deal. I would be more inclined to believe the "weird" part is defending a corporation that appears to be looking for hometown treatment and didn't come to the table with the best deal.

Reactions: jlb321

My statements are centered around the business aspect which I find interesting - much of the the rest of the discussion is based on what tastes better which actually as nothing to do with who wins the bid. From the letter it sounds like Runza is whining that the competition put in a more competitive bid and that the university didn’t choose them because they are local. If there are important local factors that should have been more heavily considered then Runza did a poor job of convincing the university of the relative merits of them.

It isn’t about what tastes better - it is about which company presented the better bid and which has the better business model which IMO is chick fil A. SNS may be trash but they aligned themselves with a group that represents some heavyweights and taking SNS may have been a condition of getting chick fil A. The contract also can run for 10 years and I know which company I have more faith in actually surviving the next 10 years.

It’s capitalism.

Why is it weirdly defending? Because the other two corporations are from out of state? The out of state corporations appear to have brought something to the table Runza didn't and they got the deal. I would be more inclined to believe the "weird" part is defending a corporation that appears to be looking for hometown treatment and didn't come to the table with the best deal.

It was a $10,000 difference and the out of state corporations aren’t making the donations to the University, so yeah. It’s weird to consistently defend the out of state corporation as some kind of wonderful professional entity and pose the local business, still owned by the family that started it, as some kind of hick operation looking for handouts.

Reactions: SOHusker11
It was a $10,000 difference and the out of state corporations aren’t making the donations to the University, so yeah. It’s weird to consistently defend the out of state corporation as some kind of wonderful professional entity and pose the local business, still owned by the family that started it, as some kind of hick operation looking for handouts.

Once again all 3 of those companies started out as a single restaurant family owned operation.

My statements are centered around the business aspect which I find interesting - much of the the rest of the discussion is based on what tastes better which actually as nothing to do with who wins the bid. From the letter it sounds like Runza is whining that the competition put in a more competitive bid and that the university didn’t choose them because they are local. If there are important local factors that should have been more heavily considered then Runza did a poor job of convincing the university of the relative merits of them.

It isn’t about what tastes better - it is about which company presented the better bid and which has the better business model which IMO is chick fil A. SNS may be trash but they aligned themselves with a group that represents some heavyweights and taking SNS may have been a condition of getting chick fil A. The contract also can run for 10 years and I know which company I have more faith in actually surviving the next 10 years.

It’s capitalism.

You do realize that this isn’t an objective thing right? That Runza could have sold it’s ass off and the person making the decision could make a decision based on any different number of factors up to and including something being in it for them, right? Not saying that’s what it is, but if it’s a paltry $10,000 difference, then it’s hardly some professional outfit coming in to make the Hicks look stupid. You’ve got a very naive view of how business gets done.

And seriously? Are you dumb enough to believe that Runza is on its way out?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT