ADVERTISEMENT

Runza letter to the Daily Nebraskan

Here's the letter in case people don't feel like searching for it. Maybe there is more to the story but it sure does sound like a pretty crappy thing for the University to do.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/opini...cle_95e28500-37ae-11e8-aff3-337ce37abf71.html

Loyal Runza Customers,

Runza has proudly operated at the Nebraska Union Food Court since 2008. Recently, we were told that Runza was not selected to continue operations after this semester. Many customers have inquired about why Runza chose to leave. We want all of you, and everyone associated with UNL, to know Runza did not choose to leave. We very much wanted to stay. Unfortunately, the university chose out-of-state vendors to take our place.

Runza’s presence in the Nebraska Union has been a source of great pride for our company and a significant pillar in our relationship with the University. Against our wishes, and despite our best efforts, this pillar is being removed. The out-of-state brands combined for a bid approximately $10,000 more than the Runza-only bid. Had the bid information been clear that the union wanted two separate concepts for the space or offered separate bid opportunities for the different concepts, we would have gladly bid the burger option or teamed up with another local business and submitted a joint bid yielding much more in revenue than the out-of-state option.

UNL is a public institution which receives considerable support from tax dollars and charitable donations. Runza contributes amounts that significantly exceed our profits from the union location to support the University and the University of Nebraska Foundation in many ways. We received no credit in the bidding process for a sizable contribution to the new College of Business building, for our continuing support of the University Foundation, or the multi-million dollar sponsorships of Husker Athletics. It appears very little weight was given to other ways interested parties might aid the university beyond rent dollars, including ongoing operations and building projects, hiring students or creating opportunities for its graduates and former students. The partnership Runza brings to the table, both economic and non-economic, is much greater than any other proposal received by the union.

During these trying economic times with the University budget, it is unfortunate that profits from out-of-state vendors chosen to replace Runza will leave Nebraska. We urge union representatives to hold the new vendor to our performance level – to return all profits from the new concepts and more back to the university.

We are proud of our university and the significant economic impact it has on our state. We are equally proud of our deep personal connections to the university and our efforts to support the great work being done at UNL. My siblings and l graduated with degrees from UNL’s College of Business. In fact, nearly all of Runza’s corporate leadership graduated from UNL. We employ more than 1,500 persons across the state of Nebraska. Our company and our employees couldn’t be more Nebraskan.

Despite this decision, we believe in the university and its students, and we will continue to support you. We are proud to have recently signed a new contract to provide more than $1,000,000 (that’s a lot of Runza Sandwiches, burgers and fries) in real dollars of support over the next few years.

Our union team has built friendships with many students, faculty and staff over the years. It has been our great pleasure to serve you and we will miss you all.

Sincerely,

Donald Everett, Jr.

President, Runza Restaurants

Wow. I hope the University has a good reason for this.

Agreed. Would be interested to hear the UNL side.

Perhaps it was a poor business decision by the university. Of course the possibility does exist that the financials of retaining Runza just didn’t make sense even if some type of home-town discount was considered - a number of Runzas have closed outside of Lincoln. Lastly if it was such a no brainer to keep Runza as the letter suggests - it may have been a poor job of selling their product by Runza.

When a proposal gets denied there are 3 possibilities and all 3 of them usually are the fault of the company or product

1. Your product is inferior to others
2. Your product is as good or better than the others and the you did a poor job of selling it
3. The proposal was denied due to incompetence of the company who you were pitching your product to - in which case see #2 above

Last edited:
Agreed. Would be interested to hear the UNL side.

Perhaps it was a poor business decision by the university. Of course the possibility does exist that the financials of retaining Runza just didn’t make sense even if some type of home-town discount was considered - a number of Runzas have closed outside of Lincoln. Lastly if it was such a no brainer to keep Runza as the letter suggests - it may have been a piss poor of selling their product by Runza.

When a proposal gets denied there are 3 possibilities and all 3 of them usually are the fault of the company or product

1. Your product is inferior to others
2. Your product is as good or better than the others and the you did a poor job of selling it
3. The proposal was denied due to incompetence of the company who you were pitching your product to - in which case see #2 above
Good analysis. Obviously, this was a business decision by the University. It may have been a boneheaded decision but who knows? Maybe the University had solid reasons that we just don't know about.

I love Runzas. And I get some whenever I return home. My father also makes his own at home that are killer (learned his Runza making skills at Fire Station 10 in Belmont in the 70's).

But come on... sometimes I think Runza, like Valentinos, has an inflated sense of the quality of their product. It is a freaking dough pocket filled with beef and cabbage. Lol. Maybe UNL wanted an upgrade from that. Maybe they even heard from students to that effect as well.

Wow. I hope the University has a good reason for this.

I can't fathom what it would be. $10,000 is all they got beat by? What a ridiculously tiny amount in the overall scheme of things. I'd be interested to see who has financial interest in the new places or who stands to gain from Runza losing their foothold. No reason for us to go to the Union on Game Day anymore...

I can't fathom what it would be. $10,000 is all they got beat by? What a ridiculously tiny amount in the overall scheme of things. I'd be interested to see who has financial interest in the new places or who stands to gain from Runza losing their foothold. No reason for us to go to the Union on Game Day anymore...
I agree. On the surface it looks like a boneheaded decision. In fact... on the surface it looks so boneheaded that it makes me wonder if there aren't other factors involved that we just don't know about. Because if there aren't any other factors beyond the extra 10,000, this is a monumentally stupid decision. The University can't be this dumb can they??

I agree. On the surface it looks like a boneheaded decision. In fact... on the surface it looks so boneheaded that it makes me wonder if there aren't other factors involved that we just don't know about. Because if there aren't any other factors beyond the extra 10,000, this is a monumentally stupid decision. The University can't be this dumb can they??

I don’t know. They let me go there so they don’t have TOO high of standards haha

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Both chick fil A and steak-n-shake started as small local mom and pop establishments much like Runza - 2 of those 3 have grown into successful national/international companies that continue to add locations worldwide - the other has remained local/regional and appears to be shrinking

The contract with the union is for 5 years with an additional 5 year option. Which companies may or may not exist in 10 years may have also played a role in the decision

Can’t really comment on the food

Last edited:
Never been to a steak and shake.

Up until a month ago I lived across from one in Plano, TX. My first month there, I was waiting for my new job to start and grabbed it for lunch. It was an absolutely disgusting grease bomb with no redeeming qualities like flavor. My dog, who is known to snack on cat excrement, turned up his nose at it. Never had the desire to try it again.

Up until a month ago I lived across from one in Plano, TX. My first month there, I was waiting for my new job to start and grabbed it for lunch. It was an absolutely disgusting grease bomb with no redeeming qualities like flavor. My dog, who is known to snack on cat excrement, turned up his nose at it. Never had the desire to try it again.

Never had either .... but if it is the prevailing opinion that Runzas product >>> steak-n-Shake then Runzas has a big problem in sales/marketing

As I posted above if you clearly have the superior product and still can’t make the sale then you need a new sales department or your business model is flawed such that others would rather invest in the inferior product

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Hmmmm.... worse than cat shit.

The University should have stuck with Runza in that case. Lol

Reactions: RedOnAir
I personally love steak ‘n shake. It’s way better than Freddy’s and is less than half of the price. I also know that it wasn’t necessarily the universities decision. After the contract with the business is up, the spot is up for open bidding. From what I’ve heard, most students are happy with the replacements.

Reactions: HuskerLLM

Agree 100%

Reactions: RedOnAir
Never had either .... but if it is the prevailing opinion that Runzas product >>> steak-n-Shake then Runzas has a big problem in sales/marketing

As I posted above if you clearly have the superior product and still can’t make the sale then you need a new sales department or your business model is flawed such that others would rather invest in the inferior product

Maybe someone thought we could get on Alabama football’s level by copying their local cuisine?

Reactions: jlb321
It's about time the University got rid of that horrible slop, local business or not. Hopefully Dorothy Lynch Dressing will also get the boot.

Cue the outrage in 10 9 8...

I remember when a Chick-fil-A got put in at a certain place of business, everyone was so excited.. within a week, no one was eating there anymore. I still remember that chicken sandwich that had been sitting under the heat lamp so long, it resembled a dry cracking hard rubber eraser. gross.

Don't care for Steak 'n Shake at all, ate at one in Illinois a few years back and my comment to that was been there done that and I'll never do it again. Food was greasy, and Freddie's is just as bad. I like Chick-fil-A but I'm a little puzzled about that one because they are closed on Sunday's so that's one vendor in the Union that won't be open on Sunday.

IMO, their food gives off a permeating foul smell before and AFTER it is eaten. Personally I don't get the fascination. I can't eat the things without a double dose of Maalox. JMHO.

I guess the University of Nebraska has imposed a ban on me from visiting the facility by taking away something I enjoy. I would visit the union to get a Runza meal and then find a Husker item or two downstairs in the bookstore. Always looked forward to that part of the trip.

Nebraska Student Union...it was great knowing you for many years but it is now time to move on...best wishes. Winking

27tuxw.jpg

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I think in the end, if I was a student, I would rather have the two other places instead of the Runza.

With that said...a pizza by the slice place would kill it I bet.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Hopefully Dorothy Lynch Dressing will also get the boot.

Cue the outrage in 10 9 8...

Outrage is correct! Who the hell would give my Dorothy the boot?!?

I hate traveling out of state and ordering a salad... cuz they never have Dorothy Lynch! Unfortunately I make myself look stupid by asking every time and obviously the waitresses has never heard of it...

Reactions: Whippet92
Outrage is correct! Who the hell would give my Dorothy the boot?!?

I hate traveling out of state and ordering a salad... cuz they never have Dorothy Lynch! Unfortunately I make myself look stupid by asking every time and obviously the waitresses has never heard of it...
Just ask for French dressing and add a bunch of sugar to it....

Did not know that! I bet they are doing pretty well!
Back in the 70s Val's pizza from the shop across from East Campus was amazing stuff. Some guys I know used to call in to go orders about an hour before closing then go over and buy them half price as unclaimed before they closed.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Back in the 70s Val's pizza from the shop across from East Campus was amazing stuff. Some guys I know used to call in to go orders about an hour before closing then go over and buy them half price as unclaimed before they closed.
Haha! That is awesome!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT