ADVERTISEMENT

We aren't the only team.....

Cue the “analytics say you should” non-explanation.

Because, you know, every situation is exactly the same and you can’t deviate from the numbers a propellerhead crunched five years ago.
That's the truth. They fair catch it deep when covered. The analytics much show better outcomes in doing it that way. There's no way I make that call, but stats are stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Cue the “analytics say you should” non-explanation.

Because, you know, every situation is exactly the same and you can’t deviate from the numbers a propellerhead crunched five years ago.
Oh my god, the analytics!

Pulsaki High School (Oklahoma, maybe?) made a living off of that...

That dork from the wolfs was about 1 yard and/or not finding the ball, away from sending the wolfs home.

Reactions: schuele
That's the truth. They fair catch it deep when covered. The analytics much show better outcomes in doing it that way. There's no way the I make that call, but stats are stats.
First of all, every punt is different. If it’s a high pooch punt with four defenders surrounding it, maybe fair-catching it at the 5 makes sense. If it’s a driving punt, it makes no sense whatsoever.

And if it’s somewhere in between, and I’m not sure if the kicking team will be able to down it or not, I’m damn sure not going to do it for them. Worst case, I lose 4 yards and don’t turn the ball over. Best case, I gain 15 on the touchback.

Reactions: Bruce1981
Oh my god, the analytics!

Pulsaki High School (Oklahoma, maybe?) made a living off of that...

That dork from the wolfs was about 1 yard and/or not finding the ball, away from sending the wolfs home.
No, no, no - every situation is exactly the same as the average outcome on the spreadsheet! If it’s a 55-yard punt that’s rocketing toward the end zone, you still MUST fair-catch it! Don’t argue with the analytics!

I’d maybe change it to putting heels at the 7 yard line or something, but it has gotten ridiculous.
This was what I recall hearing in a broadcast. It used to be "plant your heels at the 10 and don't move", but punters have gotten so good at getting the ball to bounce how they want it to, that it moved to the 7 yard line. Anything inside the 5, no touchy.

No, no, no - every situation is exactly the same as the average outcome on the spreadsheet! If it’s a 55-yard punt that’s rocketing toward the end zone, you still MUST fair-catch it! Don’t argue with the analytics!
C'mon. I didn't say I'd do it. The question is why they are all doing it. The answer is analytics. I'm getting older. I'm used to things done a different way. Things have changed so much. So, they use a card. They don't care about my feelings. They carry about stats. After awhile, I just accept it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
who makes stupid decisions on trying to catch punts inside the 10.
Why even field it . The only way Michigan gets beat in regulation is by what about happened he fumbles the punt. That kid would’ve walked back to Ann Arbor

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT