ADVERTISEMENT

Rule needs changed!

BuckysBoys1

Senior
Mar 28, 2019
I’m tired of the officials standing over the ball so teams can substitute. NU had to call a timeout because Penn St substituted late and their fat lineman walked over to the sideline. Teams can do that on every play if they choose. The rule needs to be changed! Someone is going to figure this out and take advantage of a dumb rule.

I guarantee that was on purpose. The DL starts on the field, reconsiders, goes back to the sideline, then back on the field, then the guy he's replacing looks all indecisive... burned 15 seconds. Agree, not sure why everyone doesn't do that all the time. Is there a certain number of seconds they have?

If the offense subs then the d gets a chance as well and the ref will stand on the ball until they are given that chance. Now, I did think it was quite odd when we had to call timeout because of it. I’m sure there is a delay of game rule in the d if they continue to be indecisive but not 100%.

This was likely a one-off type of deal. The refs won't put up with it if it becomes a pattern and will either call delay of game on the defense or let the offense snap the ball if the subs are dragging their feet getting into position.

This was likely a one-off type of deal. The refs won't put up with it if it becomes a pattern and will either call delay of game on the defense or let the offense snap the ball if the subs are dragging their feet getting into position.
This happens all the time. The rule was intended to allow defenses to match up to the offense if the offense subs. Thing is most teams now substitute the defensive line in order to eat up as much time as they can, which makes the offense either take a delay of game or use a time out.

This happens all the time. The rule was intended to allow defenses to match up to the offense if the offense subs. Thing is most teams now substitute the defensive line in order to eat up as much time as they can, which makes the offense either take a delay of game or use a time out.
This is the first time I've ever read a thread about it. Probably not that big of a deal.

BuckyBoys is absolutely right. They need to fix that rule. Make it so the offense can only sub in the first 5 seconds of the play clock and the defense in the next 5. After that their is no stopping the clock.

I saw this happen i think twice today, my immediate thought was why isn't there a rule that says if the offense has made their substitutions and are lined up but the d is taking too long then there needs to be either a stoppage in the play clock once the offense is set, or the D is penalized for delay of game

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
I saw this happen i think twice today, my immediate thought was why isn't there a rule that says if the offense has made their substitutions and are lined up but the d is taking too long then there needs to be either a stoppage in the play clock 9mce the offense is set, or the D is penalized for delay of game
Yes, we had to use 2 timeouts in the second half because of this. It was pretty frustrating.

It was because Nebraska was a debacle with their substitutions. The particular one in question by the OP...I thought Nebraska was getting exactly what they deserved on that play.

Reactions: saluno22 and HBFR
Yes, we had to use 2 timeouts in the second half because of this. It was pretty frustrating.
I agree the defense shouldn’t be allowed to Lolly gag around and 15 seconds burn off the play clock however I believe if you huddle the defense has to have their players in place

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT