ADVERTISEMENT

Rogers is in the portal

My question for Rogers would be what is your goal do you actually think a big name school will take you? Not bagging on him just can’t figure out why he’s leaving since he’s been injury prone I just can’t see any college picking him up because of his injuries. Maybe I’m wrong

Reactions: BleedRed78
Losing 4 experienced DL since end of season, and bringing zero so far (raw, undersized DL Tagaloa not here yet).

That’s rough.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Just because he entered the Portal does not mean that he is leaving. Just ask Pheldarius Payne. Wait…..

Fill us all in on what is bad about Dawson oh wise one.

He was so bad they hired him back after he left for the pros.
If he was so good, why did he last just one year in the NFL before crawling back to Nebraska? Also, I don't know how much stock I'd put in to bringing him back when Frost has done such a brilliant job of evaluating coaches and if he wasn't desperate himself when making the offer.

Nash is a NT. Rogers is a DE, so I don't really buy that line of reasoning. Probably just hates playing for Dawson which I don't blame him for.
If he had problems with Dawson he’d have left a while ago. He left after player evolutions so logically it appears it had something to do with that.

Also he’s not an end in a 4-3. He’s interior. Problem is more of what Ty is and he’s not as good as Ty. Definitely agree he’s not a NG, but we didn’t really have a NG so I believe that was his shot on the field. With Nash doing well this spring, I believe he lost the open starting spot on the D-Line. He’s not quick enough to play end in a 4-3z

Of course not everyone is going to agree as to why Rogers left but his departure seems a bit strange especially after spring evaluations were ongoing and he left so soon. Something is going on and I don't think we'll find out what until Rogers lands at another school.

I doubt there are a ton of Blue Blood schools just lining up to get Rogers to sign with them. Something tells me Rogers was not in the Huskers plans going forward and I still say we will see a few players come in from the portal to fill the void. You play like a star and your place is secure with no need to move on.

If he was so good, why did he last just one year in the NFL before crawling back to Nebraska? Also, I don't know how much stock I'd put in to bringing him back when Frost has done such a brilliant job of evaluating coaches and if he wasn't desperate himself when making the offer.
If I recall, he got caught in a coaching change at NY. So you really don't have an answer, just a remark with nothing to back it up. Got it.

We can harken back to the glory days of 260 pound Cam Meredith playing in the middle. That guy had a magnificent mustache, but he was a little undersized to play the middle.
That mustache wax teasing slob might as well have been named Camille Meredith from the way he played

Reactions: headcard
Honestly fellas this shouldn’t surprise anyone. Kids want to win in college. Kids want to go to a bowl game.
You mean, you would rather never play and go to a bowl game vs. proving your worth on the field win, lose or draw? I don't see Rogers going to some bowl worthy team and starting, like he would have here.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Has anyone looked at the portal? I’m not seeing Rogers in there. I didn’t see a tweet regarding it either. I don’t really care one way or another. As a fan of Husker athletics, that’s kind of how I feel about all Husker related stories at this point.

If I recall, he got caught in a coaching change at NY. So you really don't have an answer, just a remark with nothing to back it up. Got it.
It's sure as heck a better answer than the excuse being player evaluations when he's firmly in the DL rotation.

• Love
Reactions: kakdawg
whether Nash is better or not we still need depth and this is just another kick in the nuts toward next season..
That is the key point. This hurts our depth and there was very little depth to begin with. There is no way that Nash and Ty can just stay in the game for every play for the entire season. You absolutely must have a rotation of at least four or five guys, and ideally six or seven, to keep everyone fresh. Then add in the very real possibility that one or both of those guys will go down with an injury. And that possibility increases if they are tired and worn down by being in the game too long. We absolutely must hit the transfer portal and we must pick up two defensive lineman. I would love to get Mathis, but he is a DE and my gut says he is going to Texas anyway. We need defensive tackles who are decent. Are there any in the portal? Do they want to come here?

There is also the question of why Rogers is leaving when it was clear he was going to get a lot of playing time. So playing time is not the issue. So what is the issue? Does not like Dawson? Well that seems odd since he has been in the program for years now and there seems to have been no issue between Rogers and Dawson in the past. Did Frost tell him that there are some stud defensive lineman in the portal who will be coming in and therefore Rogers should move on since his playing time will be diminished? I can't see Frost telling him to move on given how little depth we have there. So maybe we do have some guys coming in and Rogers just decided the room was getting too crowded and decided to bolt. Or maybe none of the above is true and Rogers sees the handwriting on the wall and suspects we are in for another dismal season and wants to go play for a team that wins games. Who knows? This is just one of the stranger portal entries I have seen so far.

I see Casey tweeted an offer from Arkansas just hours after he enters the portal. Tampering with NIL $?

maybe Rodgers is impressed by Arkansas’ coach who after taking over a team that went 2-10 in back to back seasons was 9-4 in year 2 playing in the SEC and would rather transfer as opposed to sticking around for a coach that went 3-9 playing in the big ten west in year 4

it’s unfair that other programs are able to actually win with a new coach - the NCAA needs to do something.

This. Good Big Ten defenses usually feature a rotation of 6-7 players. You need 6-7 quality guys and the better defenses have at least 3 DL with considerable experience.
Nash may be a better player (I doubt it) but he has virtually no experience. Not good.
This may be true, but the thing the “best” defenses in this conference always feature is a cupcake schedule

maybe Rodgers is impressed by Arkansas’ coach who after taking over a team that went 2-10 in back to back seasons was 9-4 in year 2 playing in the SEC and would rather transfer as opposed to sticking around for a coach that went 3-9 playing in the big ten west in year 4

it’s unfair that other programs are able to actually win with a new coach - the NCAA needs to do something.

You lead a pathetic existence.

By the same logic, he could be interested in 40+ teams. I don’t blame anybody that would like to win more.

I find it more interesting from the other side. People were questioning whether he would find a decent landing place. Why is Arkansas interested? And so quickly.

It just seems like other schools are much more proactive and creative with their approach to NIL and transfer portal. Call it tampering. Call it pay to sign. Doesn’t matter, it’s the new normal. And if you’re not willing to play the same game as others, then you are going to be a doormat.

Of course not everyone is going to agree as to why Rogers left but his departure seems a bit strange especially after spring evaluations were ongoing and he left so soon. Something is going on and I don't think we'll find out what until Rogers lands at another school.

I doubt there are a ton of Blue Blood schools just lining up to get Rogers to sign with them. Something tells me Rogers was not in the Huskers plans going forward and I still say we will see a few players come in from the portal to fill the void. You play like a star and your place is secure with no need to move on.
How could our top or 2nd best DL not be in our plans? More excuses for Frost again.

Reactions: kakdawg
so we are supposed to think schools are trying to pluck a 3-9 teams backup, injury prone DE, who had yet to really carry any sort of load on his shoulders by upping the NIL money? No. If that were true, and it is now as dire as everyone on this board makes it out to be, NU could have ponied up a couple hundred grand or whatever people think Arkansas is offering him so he can promote the best burrito truck in Fayetteville or whatever. Money wasnt going to be the deciding factor. My guess is he hates it here because no chemistry with the team, he hates the coaches, or the writing is on the wall with new guys coming in and he saw it.

at the end of the day it dont matter. we need to find some bodies and move on. Good luck to him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT