ADVERTISEMENT

RIP...Lasorda...

He was a great coach and he did a great job with a bunch of characters that's for sure...Garvey, Lopes, anf who can forget Fernando and the Penguin!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: baseball31ne
Same age as my father..

RIP Tommy..

Too sad. If you were a Dodger fan or not who had to love Tommy. He was practically cartoonish when wearing a uniform. I think his only exercise besides eating a big bowl of pasta was huffing and puffing his way out to the pitcher's mound. One thing about Tommy. There was never a doubt he was doing something he loved. RIP

I am 65 and when I was back home in Mecca the last time, May, 2019 I was talking to an old friend about getting old. I then went on to say we really weren't that old. He gave me a look and said, "Don't be fooled. We are definitely now in the 4th quarter". Every time another icon like Tommy Lasorda passes I feel older and older.

Last edited:
Dodgers fan since the 60s. Loved Tommy. Way back when the Reds and Dodgers were in the NL West. There were some great games. ...Garvey, Lopes, Billy Russel, Ron Cey, Yeager, Dusty Baker, Reggie Smith, Rick Monday, and a few arms -- Hooten, Fernando, Bulldog (Hershiser), Honeycutt, etc. RIP Tommy!

RIP to a true legend

CRXnBFiUAAEQbuT.png

Lived in New England for a couple years and made a few trips down to Shea for Dodgers-Mets games. Saw them at Wrigley vs. the Cubs. Saw them in Montreal vs. the Expos (now Nats) at Olympic Stadium. That was weird ... announcements were in French and English. Got to Dodger Stadium three or four years ago for an inter-league game...Dodgers-Angels.

I was never a big Lasorda fan, but I did enjoy his famous comment about former Omahan Bruce Benedict's foot speed:

“Bruce Benedict is so slow he'd finish third in a race with a pregnant woman.”

Bruce Benedict was the only catcher that Hall of Famer Phil Niegro wanted to catch for him..

For the good of the game, I do hope as many of his stories were recorded. Could be said for so many of the legends the game has lost and sadly will continue to lose. Knowledge, laughs and wisdom.

I honestly didn't know he was still alive. I don't even know what day it is. Either way, RIP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT