ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule reminds me of Frost so far

Well regarded, confident, smooth talking, previously successful college coach starts with hand-picked, chosen-one qb while dismissing other options.

Proceeds to face plant.

Hopefully Rhule’s 0-2 start doesn’t evolve into Frost’s 0-6 start.

I am at the stfu stage of Nebraska football fandom. I am sick of hearing about building, etc. Our bad start was self-inflicted.

Our program’s chronic, multi decade mismanagement of the qb position is mind boggling
Ignorant observation

Refreshing to see the coaching staff embracing the mental game angle of trying to teach players to overcome the past, and to play with joy.

Many are not even from Nebraska's past and were they playing without joy?

Rahmir sure wasn't playing with joy during the 4th quarter of the CU whooping, he was downright playing angry, and it showed with some of the best runs of his entire career.

I'm thinking he should play pissed off from now on.. I mean what took you so long to get mad bro?

Maybe coach means to just not make it so serious.. so that they can perform under the pressure.

Newsflash, the pressure here isn't anything like it used to be... not even close. Most fans have gravitated toward mediocracy, and now willfully lowered their standards to just making a bowl game.

Try that kind of attitude at OU or even the Bo Pelini era Cornhuskers...

You have no pressure compared to the top football schools in the country today. I mean, why even be an athlete if you can't perform under pressure right? Is there a Johnny Utah among them to cut the BS and go lead the team to some decency?

I guess all the voodoo is out.. from jedi mind tricks to prayers.. the staff has hit the panic button.. so I hope they have something else up their sleeves, because if for some reason they lose Saturday, well I don't know what else could be done to breathe new life support into the patient that is Nebraska Football that now makes it's home living on the hospital emergency room floor.

I mean really? wtf is wrong with you guys.. go win some football games..

Sincerely Grampa Husker who no longer even owns any husker gear. Give me a reason to go buy some new merch for gosh sakes.

Only read the first few posts so I apologize if this was already stated but I see a few similar traits..coaching wise. Both hand picked a terrible QB and are to stubborn to admit it and try something else unless an injury forces their hand...Frost using Wandale as a between the tackles RB and Rhule using a guy known for fumbling in a crucial situation...the chinese fire drill at the end of the first half at Minnesota had onside kick written all over it. Saying things in pressers then doing the opposite...winless start so far....

I can see how somebody could draw a line between the two.

I believe, unlike Frost, that Rhule will turn this around and do good things here and learn from his mistakes though. I expect him to be here several years from now and we'll be relevant again.

Sims makes unbelievable plays:
Throw to Kemp while rolling out to right 2nd quarter.
Touchdown run vs. Colorado.
Runs vs. Minnesota.
Unfortunately several are for the other team:
Perfect shotgun snap fumble.
Motion man hike deflection fumble (if they tried to do that 10 times they might hit the guy 3 times max)
Poor handoff to Gabe
Multiple poor interceptions both games.

Someone on this board called them "yips" which sounds like the perfect word. Extra pressure of a game makes him come unglued. I bet he is phenomenal in practice (Mike Grant anyone?). After watching both games, with this defense, RBs, Kemp, and improvement in the O-line-they were executing great in the second quarter before the motion man fumble-we seem to need three things:
A game manager at quarterback who performs under pressure, and can hit open receivers.
Deep threats at receiver (Freshmen come through?)
A healthy punter.
IF (Big IF) we get those, I think we could compete with anyone that we play. Including Michigan.

Sims makes unbelievable plays:
Throw to Kemp while rolling out to right 2nd quarter.
Touchdown run vs. Colorado.
Runs vs. Minnesota.
Unfortunately several are for the other team:
Perfect shotgun snap fumble.
Motion man hike deflection fumble (if they tried to do that 10 times they might hit the guy 3 times max)
Poor handoff to Gabe
Multiple poor interceptions both games.

Someone on this board called them "yips" which sounds like the perfect word. Extra pressure of a game makes him come unglued. I bet he is phenomenal in practice (Mike Grant anyone?). After watching both games, with this defense, RBs, Kemp, and improvement in the O-line-they were executing great in the second quarter before the motion man fumble-we seem to need three things:
A game manager at quarterback who performs under pressure, and can hit open receivers.
Deep threats at receiver (Freshmen come through?)
A healthy punter.
IF (Big IF) we get those, I think we could compete with anyone that we play. Including Michigan.
I've said yips, but maybe someone else here has as well. He's likely got the IQ since he got accepted into GTech, but yips seem to describe best what's likely going on with him.

Not sure if that's fixable at this point 😕

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT