ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule after today's first scrimmage

QB running has been a staple at Nebraska since the beginning of time. It is what separates us from the rest of the current west division. Can't wait to see more QB runs especially with a competent RB group
It is also unsustainable, lowers the overall ceiling of an offense and hasn’t produced a national champ since cam newton was at auburn

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
There are designed QB runs and there are QB runs from designed plays that break down.

big difference

I hope these were designed QB runs but would be bit surprised if a lot of these were called
Doesn’t sound like it

Rhule mentioned drop back/take off

Rushing TD for natty winners in the last decade...don't have to be run first but these were def dual threat QBs

Bennet: 10
Trevor Lawrence: 8
Deshaun Watson: 9
JT Barrett: 11
dual threats at the goal line? fine

a quarterback run oriented offense? not even close.

Reactions: Long Time Lurker
Matt Rhule sounds like a guy when he sees a problem, he is going to address it to try find a fix, not look lost wondering why this keeps happening when they had their best week of practice at every press conference.
O M G I can't believe he got over four years. Why was he not held responsible? Who were his enablers?

Reactions: Long Time Lurker
Ajay Allen is so smooth and tricky on the fly. Ervin looks like a monster physically. If Grant runs like early season last year, the Huskers look really good at RB.

All 3 styles are so different, it should bring a lot of versatility to the offense if the OL can move some people around a bit.
Being Mr. obvious here, but this is such a big key, “if the OL can move some people around a bit.”
If we can finally have a line that doesn’t get pushed backwards, or look like matadors every freaking snap, that will be a huge difference from what we have had far too freaking long. Hopefully, they’ll actually be physical and open up holes when they’re supposed to, and protect the QB when we want to pass.
I’m hoping we have a passing threat where defenses can’t load the box and dare us to pass, though.
If the offense can do those two things, our RBs will bust off some long runs this year.

Being Mr. obvious here, but this is such a big key, “if the OL can move some people around a bit.”
If we can finally have a line that doesn’t get pushed backwards, or look like matadors every freaking snap, that will be a huge difference from what we have had far too freaking long. Hopefully, they’ll actually be physical and open up holes when they’re supposed to, and protect the QB when we want to pass.
I’m hoping we have a passing threat where defenses can’t load the box and dare us to pass, though.
If the offense can do those two things, our RBs will bust off some long runs this year.
Totally agree 10T. Anyone who just assumes our thoroughbred RBs will be running free and showing their talent, best adopt the reality that those big uglies will determine that.

a quarterback run oriented offense? not even close.

Stetson Bennett, definitely not a dual threat. But you would be incorrect on the other three, so horribly incorrect that it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

Trevor Lawrence

3 seasons, 231 Att, 943 yds.

DeShaun Watson

3 seasons, 435 Att, 1934 yds.

JT Barrett

4 seasons, 656 Att, 3263 yds.

Reactions: HawksDown
We had Coach Foley at the Oakland RibFest yesterday judging rib, he acted as we did him a favor for inviting him.FYI put the same feeler out2 years ago for Fros and his Assistants.didn’t even get a turn down response.
I think Trev made it a point to the new staff they need to embrace the state, the people and the HS coaches and players. They are doing everything the right way. They are being what we thought Frost (being a local boy and former Husker) would be. Frost maybe could have gotten away with being a douche if his team's produced on the field. But that clearly didn't happen. It's good to see the A.D. the fans, the media, and the coaching staff all on the same page finally. Let's hope it translates into wins!! Great to have the adults back in charge. Matt and Trev are getting it fixed after years of incompetence and poor management.

Last edited:
We had Coach Foley at the Oakland RibFest yesterday judging rib, he acted as we did him a favor for inviting him.FYI put the same feeler out2 years ago for Fros and his Assistants.didn’t even get a turn down response.
Thank you for sharing this. I don’t care if Trev really emphasized connecting with Nebraska locals or not, this staff seems genuine and to a fault I’m a very skeptical person. It doesn’t seem like a script or mandatory, they seem to be real. Something Nebraskans have needed for a long time.

Thank you for sharing this. I don’t care if Trev really emphasized connecting with Nebraska locals or not, this staff seems genuine and to a fault I’m a very skeptical person. It doesn’t seem like a script or mandatory, they seem to be real. Something Nebraskans have needed for a long time.
Yes Coach Foley told me this is they did at Temple and Baylor, don’t think Trev has anything to do with this.

Yes Coach Foley told me this is they did at Temple and Baylor, don’t think Trev has anything to do with this.
I'm sure Trev had something to do with it. At the very least hiring a staff that makes family and relationships in the community a top priority. He saw the clown show we had become under Eichorst, Moos, Frost, Riley...

I'm sure Trev had something to do with it. At the very least hiring a staff that makes family and relationships in the community a top priority. He saw the clown show we had become under Eichorst, Moos, Frost, Riley...
I sincerely don’t think Trev has any input these guys did this at Temple and Baylor.why not Nebraska . I love Trev but don’t give him credit if it’s not due

Reactions: putemintheaisles
Stetson Bennett, definitely not a dual threat. But you would be incorrect on the other three, so horribly incorrect that it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

Trevor Lawrence

3 seasons, 231 Att, 943 yds.

DeShaun Watson

3 seasons, 435 Att, 1934 yds.

JT Barrett

4 seasons, 656 Att, 3263 yds.
barrett the only one with 650 yds+ in his national title season since cam newton. that's going on 15 years

I didn't say they weren't dual threats, I said quarterback run oriented offenses don't produce national champs

learn to read one time for us, ron

barrett the only one with 650 yds+ in his national title season since cam newton. that's going on 15 years

I didn't say they weren't dual threats, I said quarterback run oriented offenses don't produce national champs

learn to read one time for us, ron

Ok Theresa, you should probably learn how to read what you posted.

That many yards, for those three qb’s, was more than goal line yardage. Have a nice night Theresa.

I think Trev made it a point to the new staff they need to embrace the state, the people and the HS coaches and players. They are doing everything the right way. They are being what we thought Frost (being a local boy and former Husker) would be. Frost maybe could have gotten away with being a douche if his team's produced on the field. But that clearly didn't happen. It's good to see the A.D. the fans, the media, and the coaching staff all on the same page finally. Let's hope it translates into wins!! Great to have the adults back in charge. Matt and Trev are getting it fixed after years of incompetence and poor management.
It appears clear to me that somebody has read what Devaney did to win fan support when he took the Nebraska job.

I think the staff has been briefed on certain topics and showing up at events like a rib fest is one of them. Not that they would not do it on their own but it makes sense that the AD would give them a heads up. I think anytime you get to a new school (office) you should get some advice about the do's and don'ts of the culture.

Years ago at a teaching gig I was leaving at the end of the day without bringing anything home, because was done with grading and didn't need to bring shit home. A guy that had been there for years pulled me aside and said "You might want to bring a bag home everyday, even if you just stuff it with some books, just to make it look like you are doing work at home" I thought it was crazy....about a week later the (crazy) Principal met with me about something and made mention of how other staff members noticed I did not bring work home with me...

From that day on I brought a backpack with me, every day, that I never never opened and it was stuffed with two old ass books.

And of course they dd it at Temple and Baylor because they were trying to build up a fan base and support.

Reactions: drubendall
Ok Theresa, you should probably learn how to read what you posted.

That many yards, for those three qb’s, was more than goal line yardage. Have a nice night Theresa.
Simply responding to your post about rushing TDs, as if those meant anything within the context of “QB run-oriented offenses”, in which you also included Stetson Bennett

Be better, ron

Simply responding to your post about rushing TDs, as if those meant anything within the context of “QB run-oriented offenses”, in which you also included Stetson Bennett

Be better, ron

You are still having trouble comprehending what you read, I didn’t have a post about rushing TD’s. I responded, to your response of that persons post about rushing TD’s. Come on Theresa get it together.

You are still having trouble comprehending what you read, I didn’t have a post about rushing TD’s. I responded, to your response of that persons post about rushing TD’s. Come on Theresa get it together.
apologies

I tend to blend everyone with incorrect opinions together

point stands: QB run oriented offenses have a lower ceiling and no QB has run for even 700 yards during a national title season since cam newton

apologies

I tend to blend everyone with incorrect opinions together

point stands: QB run oriented offenses have a lower ceiling and no QB has run for even 700 yards during a national title season since cam newton

Well I think it is a little arrogant for us to be talking about what will work when we get to a National title game. Let’s just get to our conference championship first, if we win that then we can worry about whether what we run will win. With what we have experienced the last decade, I think our fans would gladly take what those three quarterbacks accomplished. They were winning their conferences and in the playoffs and title discussions.

Well I think it is a little arrogant for us to be talking about what will work when we get to a National title game. Let’s just get to our conference championship first, if we win that then we can worry about whether what we run will win. With what we have experienced the last decade, I think our fans would gladly take what those three quarterbacks accomplished. They were winning their conferences and in the playoffs and title discussions.
The standard is the standard

At Nebraska, the standard is National Championship

Reactions: bigboxes
Judging a rib eating contest in Oakland?

Merica!

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
Good to see Torres looks like he’s really filled out. Purdy looks smaller than I expected, but Haarberg and Torres have big frames.

“IF” Haarberg uses this spring to catapult himself into to the top 3 with Simms, and Thompson comes back with all of his experience, and either Torres or Purdy can be competent #4, it’ll be a solid room.

Simms and Thompson would bring that experience factor, and if HH is gonna play, the stage can’t be too big for him like it was for Smothers and Purdy.
We can’t really afford growing pains at QB when we’re trying to make a bowl game.

Accuracy and decision making are still likely to decide the pecking order if they can all show some ability to run.
If a QB can’t throw… then I think the B1G defenses would eat us alive.
QB run game needs to supplement pass game.
LOL

Eat ribs? I mean, I guess I can buy that they did that at Baylor. But I don't think they even have BBQ in Pennsylvania.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT