ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule 10/2 Press Conference

HikingHusker

Walk On
Sep 28, 2021
Appreciated Rhule's press conference today. Said it how it is and is ticked off how the team played Saturday.

I've enjoyed his straight forward answers to most questions throughout the year and for the most part not sugarcoating anything. Hope that continues in the years to come, but I feel like our media will wear on anyone no matter how good or bad we are.

Some questions like, "How did the QBs look today," are just painful. What do you expect him to say? The guy isn't going to crap on a player and he wants to keep the other team preparing for both QB's style.

Appreciated Rhule's press conference today. Said it how it is and is ticked off how the team played Saturday.

I've enjoyed his straight forward answers to most questions throughout the year and for the most part not sugarcoating anything. Hope that continues in the years to come, but I feel like our media will wear on anyone no matter how good or bad we are.

Some questions like, "How did the QBs look today," are just painful. What do you expect him to say? The guy isn't going to crap on a player and he wants to keep the other team preparing for both QB's style.

I agree. I listened to another snippit where he talks about players playing the game and competing. That he expects us to be a defensive team and that great defenses don't make excuses. Flat out our players need to compete. Coaches need to hold them accountable to that. If TC can't F'n block then find someone who can or change the scheme. Too many instances of guys getting multiple chances to show ineptness.

Deion did the right thing when he gutted the locker room.
[Upon taking over at Colorado, it did not take long for Sanders to deliver a blunt message to the roster.] You told most of these guys, "The more you jump in, the more room you're gonna make. Those of you we don't run off, we're gonna try to make you quit."

Sanders: "Yeah. Now, if you went for that, if you were able to let words run you off, you ain't for us because we're an old-school staff. We coach hard. We coach tough. We're disciplinarians. So, if you're allowing verbiage to run you off because you don't feel secure with your ability, you ain't for us."

Is this scorched-earth policy good for college football or for the kids?

Sanders: "I think truth is good for kids. We're so busy lyin', we don't even recognize the truth no more in society. We want everybody to feel good. That's not the way life is. Now, it is my job to make sure I have what we need to win. That makes a lot of people feel good. Winning does."

11:45 question... That answer came from the heart, and that is the mindset I want our coach to have

Reactions: WHCSC
I agree. I listened to another snippit where he talks about players playing the game and competing. That he expects us to be a defensive team and that great defenses don't make excuses. Flat out our players need to compete. Coaches need to hold them accountable to that. If TC can't F'n block then find someone who can or change the scheme. Too many instances of guys getting multiple chances to show ineptness.

Deion did the right thing when he gutted the locker room.
[Upon taking over at Colorado, it did not take long for Sanders to deliver a blunt message to the roster.] You told most of these guys, "The more you jump in, the more room you're gonna make. Those of you we don't run off, we're gonna try to make you quit."

Sanders: "Yeah. Now, if you went for that, if you were able to let words run you off, you ain't for us because we're an old-school staff. We coach hard. We coach tough. We're disciplinarians. So, if you're allowing verbiage to run you off because you don't feel secure with your ability, you ain't for us."

Is this scorched-earth policy good for college football or for the kids?

Sanders: "I think truth is good for kids. We're so busy lyin', we don't even recognize the truth no more in society. We want everybody to feel good. That's not the way life is. Now, it is my job to make sure I have what we need to win. That makes a lot of people feel good. Winning does."
Love him or hate him, I couldn’t help but be impressed with his 60 minutes interview and the quotes you referenced.

Reactions: HuskerO and WHCSC
The number 1 thing we need is an absolute assassin at QB who takes charge of the locker room and refuses to lose. Tommie Frazier was that guy. McKenzie Milton was that guy. Adrian Martinez was not. Jeff Sims is not. Jury still out on HH, but I just don't think he's a good enough player to be that guy. Would still rather roll with him this year to find out.

The number 1 thing we need is an absolute assassin at QB who takes charge of the locker room and refuses to lose. Tommie Frazier was that guy. McKenzie Milton was that guy. Adrian Martinez was not. Jeff Sims is not. Jury still out on HH, but I just don't think he's a good enough player to be that guy. Would still rather roll with him this year to find out.

A coach once told me “build a team that doesn’t need a great QB to be successful, then go find that team a great QB. That’s how you win championships.”

Scott frost was that guy. He should be a head coach

The team had a losing mindset heading into both Colorado and Michigan because of what the coaches are saying leading up to the games. Stop saying Michigan is an example of what your team should look like leading up to a game. It’s asinine to then expect them to play without that little brother mindset.
Rhule went 0-11 against ranked teams at Baylor. He doesn’t win. Trev hired him to beat Illinois and La tech

• Haha
Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
Scott frost was that guy. He should be a head coach

Scott Frost was likely not that guy. Frazier turned the program around and handed it off. Frost did fine keeping it going, as did Crouch. They weren't Frazier though.

That whole thing was an embarrassing display of just how absolutely incompetent the local media is. I mean, the coach from Letterkenny level of embarrassment.

Asking stupid questions about is it a good time for a road game? Or about the “offensive identity.” I mean, Sipple is a class of his own, penning pieces today talking about how bad things are under Rhule but when Michigan shellacked Frost in 2018 he carried all sorts of water for him.

If there was actually a good journalist in the group, they would do a deep dive on Scott Frost’s complete and total failure as a coach and most importantly a recruiter. The the lack of depth along both lines and at skill positions on offense shows when #2 Michigan comes in here and pushes them around for 3 hours. Instead of leading the mob of pitchforks, the media should be telling them that Rhule is great at what he does but he wasn’t left an amazing roster…something that he hasn’t publicly griped about. He is effusive in his praise for the players and even former coaches, many of whom spent most or all of their coaching tenure under Frost as one of his drinking buddies rather than coach/mentor.

You can see Rhule fighting the old quitting mindset that is coming into the team. They want instant success and it just doesn’t happen unless you get a transcendent QB which clearly isn’t there.

He’s fighting off the quit in guys and seeing who embraces it. Those who don’t will fall off the 2 deep after Illinois during the bye week just watch.

You can see Frost fighting the old quitting mindset that is coming into the team. They want instant success and it just doesn’t happen unless you get a transcendent QB which clearly isn’t there.

He’s fighting off the quit in guys from Smilin Mike and seeing who embraces it. Those who don’t will fall off the 2 deep after Illinois during the bye week just watch.

• Haha
Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
Rhule went 0-11 against ranked teams at Baylor. He doesn’t win. Trev hired him to beat Illinois and La tech
Obviously, I disagree with your second part, but the 0-11 against ranked teams is concerning. Though, in that regard, he's a perfect fit for Nebraska.

The Huskers have lost their last 22 matchups against ranked opponents and haven't defeated an AP top-10 foe since beating No. 6 Michigan State in 2015 on a late controversial touchdown. Taking things a step further, Nebraska's most recent win over an AP top-five opponent came at home against No. 2 Oklahoma in 2001..

The team had a losing mindset heading into both Colorado and Michigan because of what the coaches are saying leading up to the games. Stop saying Michigan is an example of what your team should look like leading up to a game. It’s asinine to then expect them to play without that little brother mindset.
i thought they played like their feelings were hurt

Hey if the team didn’t show up to play on Saturday it’s best they come out on Sunday and practice like it’s a real game. Hell do it very day of the week if you have to until they show up on Saturdays (or Friday night this week)

You can see Rhule fighting the old quitting mindset that is coming into the team. They want instant success and it just doesn’t happen unless you get a transcendent QB which clearly isn’t there.

He’s fighting off the quit in guys and seeing who embraces it. Those who don’t will fall off the 2 deep after Illinois during the bye week just watch.
If we lose to Illinois I expect to see more freshmen playing more minutes

Love him or hate him, I couldn’t help but be impressed with his 60 minutes interview and the quotes you referenced.
Yeah. He's about the most unMidwestern personality that you can be, however the things he says and clearly his actions as a coach are right there with what we Nebraskans believe life to be. Hard work, Discipline, No BS, No Excuses. And God! LOL

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
And that begins with an OL. I got roasted for that 20 years ago on here😥
I agree on this. a mid QB, mid RB's, and mediocre WR's can be a good team with a good OL.

With a bad OL, everything else needs to be perfect and even then is a crapshoot.

I'll add, that is something Rhule has used as a point of emphasis in the past. I am a bit worried at the guy he put in charge of the OL, but I think Rhule will take point and do what he has to if it isn't working there(I hope).

Reactions: BleedRed78
Yeah. He's about the most unMidwestern personality that you can be, however the things he says and clearly his actions as a coach are right there with what we Nebraskans believe life to be. Hard work, Discipline, No BS, No Excuses. And God! LOL
Yep. Good oleNebraska values. Fat slob with a stripper for a wife

• Haha
Reactions: cavalot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT