ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule: “I’m concerned about the kicking, make no mistake about that..."

Not a fan of Foley at all. Nothing against the guy personally, I am sure he is a great guy. But if you’re going to have a dedicated ST coach you really should be very good there and they REALLY need to be one of your best recruiters and he clearly is not, I don’t think he even leaves the state. At least he is old and hopefully going to retire soon.
Agree. Or maybe tied with Barthel for most disappointing. I just finished watching the SMU/Nevada game. Both teams were solid in all aspects of special teams (except for one Nevada mistake). Unlike Nebraska that finds ways to make several ST mistakes in almost every game.

I remember we had 2 feild goal kickers that were pretty much machines. I think one name was chris brown and the other started with a h

I was watching him at the open practice but I didn't realize it was him. I thought to myself, I hope we don't have to go to the backup punter cause this guy does not look good. And that was with BB shanking about every third or fourth kick.
Jfc

Along with so many others, I wonder what the hell Foley has these kids doing that our overall kicking game is so weak. He needs to quit trying to make these kids be something that they're not, and just get some consistency in those areas.

For every good kick that Buschini has, he shanks 2. Just quit trying to be precise and kick the effing ball into either of the 2 outer thirds of the field and let your defense do their job. BB showed us all last year that he isn't capable of putting multiple good kicks together, so quit getting cute and just kick the s.o.b.

As far as the placekickers, I agree with others in how the hell can we keep winding up with kickers that are injured? Are we trying to add too many yards to their overall distance? If so, I'll take highly consistent 40 yard field goal kicker and make that work. Taking the wind in the 4th quarter many times there will be enough of a breeze to add maybe 5 yards to the kick anyway.

I say either Foley gets it done this year, or he needs to be sent packing. NU cannot afford to be disadvantaged week after week in the overall kicking game and expect to go anywhere.

The only thing that appears to be trending upward regarding specialty teams play is the coach's salary. Remember when everyone was up in arms over how much Bruce Read was making and the product on the field. Foley is making a $100K north of that.

• Sad
Reactions: BrighteRed24
Along with so many others, I wonder what the hell Foley has these kids doing that our overall kicking game is so weak. He needs to quit trying to make these kids be something that they're not, and just get some consistency in those areas.

For every good kick that Buschini has, he shanks 2. Just quit trying to be precise and kick the effing ball into either of the 2 outer thirds of the field and let your defense do their job. BB showed us all last year that he isn't capable of putting multiple good kicks together, so quit getting cute and just kick the s.o.b.

As far as the placekickers, I agree with others in how the hell can we keep winding up with kickers that are injured? Are we trying to add too many yards to their overall distance? If so, I'll take highly consistent 40 yard field goal kicker and make that work. Taking the wind in the 4th quarter many times there will be enough of a breeze to add maybe 5 yards to the kick anyway.

I say either Foley gets it done this year, or he needs to be sent packing. NU cannot afford to be disadvantaged week after week in the overall kicking game and expect to go anywhere.
I believe every offensive coach aside from Thomas is in a contract year

Same for Foley.

This is a good thing, IMO

With the way punting and kicking is going the best we can hope for is consistent extra points, good punt coverage, and some blocked fg/punts out of our highly paid coach.

Reactions: king_kong_
it's insane that we can't land another punter after 2 years of Buchini

we have money, the portal is open, we have immediate playing time, we have history

I just don't get it
Didn't we get the son of the best ever punter to play at Nebraska that had a decade + NFL career? I guess I'll wait to see Koch actually suck on field before I write him off.

The only thing that appears to be trending upward regarding specialty teams play is the coach's salary. Remember when everyone was up in arms over how much Bruce Read was making and the product on the field. Foley is making a $100K north of that.
Yeah um, that +100k, that's actually just an adjustment for inflation ;)

Didn't we get the son of the best ever punter to play at Nebraska that had a decade + NFL career? I guess I'll wait to see Koch actually suck on field before I write him off.
It would be disappointing if he’s not our #1 punter come Saturday

Reactions: Huskers123456
it's insane that we can't land another punter after 2 years of Buchini

we have money, the portal is open, we have immediate playing time, we have history

I just don't get it
Here is a semi-detailed look at the NU punting/placekicking game last year:

NU opp punted 65 times last season, NU returned 16 for 48 yards, the longest return? 8 yds;
NU opponents returned 19 of NU's 58 punts for 144 yards, the longest being 30 yards;
On average, NU returned 1 of every 4 punts, Opponents returned 1 of every 3 punts.

On kickoffs, Alvano had touchbacks on 14 of 32 kickoffs-- 44%;
Overall NU kicked off 45 times with 19 touchbacks-- 42%
Opponents kicked off 46 times with 29 touchbacks-- 63%.

Alvano was 9-15 in FG sttempts last year --60%;
He was GOOD at 20-29 yards (2-2), 30-39 yards (4-5), 50+ yards (1-1)--7/8 or 88%;
The killer distance was 40-49 yards, 2 for 7--29%.

NU had 6 games last year where we missed a FG. 50% of NU's games had a missed FG.
NU lost 4 of those games by 3 points or less.

The anatomy of a 5-7 team.

Last edited:
Here is a semi-detailed look at the NU punting/placekicking game last year:

NU opp punted 65 times last season, NU returned 16 for 48 yards, the longest return? 8 yds;
NU opponents returned 19 of NU's 58 punts for 144 yards, the longest being 30 yards;
On average, NU returned 1 of every 4 punts, Opponents returned 1 of every 3 punts.

On kickoffs, Alvano had touchbacks on 14 of 32 kickoffs-- 44%;
Overall NU kicked off 45 times with 19 touchbacks-- 42%
Opponents kicked off 46 times with 29 touchbacks-- 63%.

Alvano was 9-15 in FG sttempts last year --60%;
He was GOOD at 20-29 yards (2-2), 30-39 yards (4-5), 50+ yards (1-1)--7/8 or 88%;
The killer distance was 40-49 yards, 2 for 7--29%.

NU had 6 games last year where we missed a FG. 50% of NU's games had a missed FG.
NU lost 4 of those games by 3 points or less.

The anatomy of a 5-7 team.
Excellent analysis. Thank you for putting this together. As much as we want to blame turnovers this ALSO gives us perspective. I'm guessing if we went back to 3rd and fourth down conversions and untimely penalties, we could find more areas that assisted with losses. That is why I often kick back on turnovers being the key issue. It was a combination of a lot of offensive ineptness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT