ADVERTISEMENT

Grant Seagren

Husker.Wed.

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
Anybody have any insight on him? Bio says he was a TE and defensive player (lineman?) in HS. The guy has seemed to come out of nowhere. NU bio says he weighs 260, depth chart says 305, so I guess he put on 45 pounds during his redshirt year?

just another in-state walk-on making good on his opportunity

good on him beating out so many highly touted recruits

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Anybody have any insight on him? Bio says he was a TE and defensive player (lineman?) in HS. The guy has seemed to come out of nowhere. NU bio says he weighs 260, depth chart says 305, so I guess he put on 45 pounds during his redshirt year?
I didn't get this either... Saw him #2 at LT behind Turner.

Where'd that come from??

Coaches have mentioned him all fall. Still surprising, but not out of nowhere. His HS class in Nebraska was loaded that year with OL and we have three of them. Competiton, baby, competition.

The pessimist in me hopes this is not a symptom we continue to lag behind in developing or missing on scholarship OL talent. Of the 8 scholarship OL recruits in the 2023-2024 classes, only one made this depth chart, while two 2023 walk-ons did. I like the feel good walk-on story as much as anyone who knows the storied history of NU's walk-on program, but also like to see that we have young scholarship OL talent that is too good to keep off the depth chart.

Reactions: king_kong_
Watched him play HS basketball a few times (always losing to BRLD). He was a physical and aggressive kid then, if he's 300+ now look out. It's not a feel good walk-on story to me, just play the best guys on the roster. No one deserves to play just because they were highly recruited. Put it on tape.

The pessimist in me hopes this is not a symptom we continue to lag behind in developing or missing on scholarship OL talent. Of the 8 scholarship OL recruits in the 2023-2024 classes, only one made this depth chart, while two 2023 walk-ons did. I like the feel good walk-on story as much as anyone who knows the storied history of NU's walk-on program, but also like to see that we have young scholarship OL talent that is too good to keep off the depth chart.

Thank goodness for the portal

Watched him play HS basketball a few times (always losing to BRLD). He was a physical and aggressive kid then, if he's 300+ now look out. It's not a feel good walk-on story to me, just play the best guys on the roster. No one deserves to play just because they were highly recruited. Put it on tape.
Here’s to this staff actually developing guys beyond the two deep. For too long position coaches didn’t have options for injury/on the field performance issues. Guys are flipping from offense to defense and vice versa, also love that Rhule challenges his position coaches to check the tape and play their best guys. GBR

Reactions: mgbreis
That would be huge if he can emerge as a legit OT. With Turners history, he will likely be needed before the years end.

Seagren has an 84 inch wingspan. That number would've placed him 2nd at the 2024 NFL combine among all offensive linemen in attendance.

I agree. My point was not about playing kids highly recruited over other more deserving kids, its about having an OL where the best guys on our roster are good enough to win in the BG10 which hasn't been the case for too long. If guys like Grant Seagren are good enough to help us beat Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, etc, that's awesome.

Reactions: mgbreis
TO and Tenopir made a lot of hay back in the day with those HS tight ends converted to OLinemen after a couple years in the weight room. They tend to have really good feet and mobility.

To be honest, it’s likely not a good sign for Gottula.
Maybe they took a closer look at the film, or even asked Ty or Nash who is the tougher guy to play against? At any rate, that film don't lie. Personally, I don't care who mans that spot as long as they can do their best job possible.

Not sure about SDSU but NDSU has consistently been putting OL in the NFL. I have more faith in their evaluation skills then what I saw under Frost. Rhule and Donovan TBD.

I agree. My point was not about playing kids highly recruited over other more deserving kids, its about having an OL where the best guys on our roster are good enough to win in the BG10 which hasn't been the case for too long. If guys like Grant Seagren are good enough to help us beat Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, etc, that's awesome.
Seagren has been getting props from the staff and former players who watch practice since spring. He's legit

Reactions: Huskers123456
Seagren has been getting props from the staff and former players who watch practice since spring. He's legit
Spencer Long popped as a RS Soph and was rolling until he a blew a knee his Sr. year. Every now and again a lightly regarded kid has a great deal of potential that is revealed by development.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT