ADVERTISEMENT

Revise Overtime Rules and Ties

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
I know NU has struggled in OT over the years but I also think it is time to reconsider mandatory OT and return to allowing regular season ties. Up until the early 90s ties were recorded when games ended with a tie score and with college football now having longer schedules and a 12 team playoff the exhaustion of playing OT and risk of injury needs to be evaluated. Also I feel like the current OT rules favor luck (the coin flip and first possession) and the team with the better kicker, and the very fact that you got to OT in the first place indicates that both teams are fairly equal. Having a game be recorded as a loss due to a fluke play in OT after battling to a draw in regulation just seems crappy.
I would consider a tie a half win in counting toward bowl eligibility.
1) I would record any non-conference games at the start of the season where the score is tied at the end of regulation as a tie.
2) For regular conference games I would add one 10 minute period to the end of regulation. Each team gets two timeouts. If the game ends in a tie it's recorded as a tie. The coaches can agree prior to the game to end the game as a tie without OT if they choose. Many would probably do that if their teams have had a lot of injuries, the game won't matter much in the final standings, or they play particularly hard schedules.
3) For championship and playoff games, OT is mandatory and starts with a 10 minute period. If after the 10 minute period the game is still tied it goes to a sudden death OT where the first team to score wins. It starts with a normal kickoff after a coin flip and neither team is guaranteed a possession.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
I don’t have a problem with the OT rules and the fact that we have been embarrassed in the last 7 of them is not a reason to eliminate OT.

Tie outcomes are lame. Would rather see team captains come out and play rock, paper, scissors best of 3 than to end in a tie.

I don’t like the idea of putting the ball at the 3 yard line after 2 overtime’s.

Like having a kickoff in soccer.. STUPID.

I know NU has struggled in OT over the years but I also think it is time to reconsider mandatory OT and return to allowing regular season ties. Up until the early 90s ties were recorded when games ended with a tie score and with college football now having longer schedules and a 12 team playoff the exhaustion of playing OT and risk of injury needs to be evaluated. Also I feel like the current OT rules favor luck (the coin flip and first possession) and the team with the better kicker, and the very fact that you got to OT in the first place indicates that both teams are fairly equal. Having a game be recorded as a loss due to a fluke play in OT after battling to a draw in regulation just seems crappy.
I would consider a tie a half win in counting toward bowl eligibility.
1) I would record any non-conference games at the start of the season where the score is tied at the end of regulation as a tie.
2) For regular conference games I would add one 10 minute period to the end of regulation. Each team gets two timeouts. If the game ends in a tie it's recorded as a tie. The coaches can agree prior to the game to end the game as a tie without OT if they choose. Many would probably do that if their teams have had a lot of injuries, the game won't matter much in the final standings, or they play particularly hard schedules.
3) For championship and playoff games, OT is mandatory and starts with a 10 minute period. If after the 10 minute period the game is still tied it goes to a sudden death OT where the first team to score wins. It starts with a normal kickoff after a coin flip and neither team is guaranteed a possession.
Interesting read. Is OT perfect? But it's what we have.

You make some interesting points and you have put some thought into this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT