ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt Freshmen

zamzman

Senior
Jul 1, 2004
Okay, Kool-Aid time. We have a bunch of exciting young players. Most have had little actual playing time (4 games max), so the skies the limit. They're all going to be All-Americans, right? But exaggeration aside, I am wondering who will be major contributors next season. Looks like a good group.

Luke M. - I think Frost is sticking with AM, but I think McCaffrey has to get on the field somewhere.
Piper - Can he beat out returning starters in the interior OL? He already has the physical ability.
Benhart - Lots have him marked in as starting tackle if Farniok moves inside, which is likely.
Which WR can step up? Nance/Houston/Chase? Maybe it'll end up as Luke.

Henrich - tough to judge which young LB will make a move up the depth chart. If he wasn't hurt, I almost expected him to challenge for a starting spot as a true freshman. How healthy is he?
Ty Robinson - Starting NT? He's in the rotation somewhere.

I don’t think Ty Robinson will be the nose tackle but expect him to start on the defensive line..

Nance, Houston and Chase have huge opportunity’s this spring after redshirting..

Believe 2AM is the one that needs to step up and prove he is head and shoulders better than Luke McCaffery, because McCaffery going to be much better with season under his belt running this offense..

Piper is going to be a good one down the road and wouldn’t surprise me see him starting by the end of 2020...

I think Ty will play some nose, I think NPG gets some quality time, Farmer too, and I see Johnson stepping up at rb, plus the O line guys.

Interested in Ronald Thompkins coming back from his knee injury... With him and Rahmir and the two other Freshmen coming in we should have better depth than we had last season with MW being injured or out the majority of the season..

Interested in Ronald Thompkins coming back from his knee injury... With him and Rahmir and the two other Freshmen coming in we should have better depth than we had last season with MW being injured or out the majority of the season..
Even when Ziggy was hitting his stride, we had Mo who made plays. Mo quit before he quit this year, and all we had was Wandale, not enough.
We need at least three backs.

Okay, Kool-Aid time. We have a bunch of exciting young players. Most have had little actual playing time (4 games max), so the skies the limit. They're all going to be All-Americans, right? But exaggeration aside, I am wondering who will be major contributors next season. Looks like a good group.

Luke M. - I think Frost is sticking with AM, but I think McCaffrey has to get on the field somewhere.
Piper - Can he beat out returning starters in the interior OL? He already has the physical ability.
Benhart - Lots have him marked in as starting tackle if Farniok moves inside, which is likely.

Henrich - tough to judge which young LB will make a move up the depth chart. If he wasn't hurt, I almost expected him to challenge for a starting spot as a true freshman. How healthy is he?
I’m intrigued by the secondary with pola-gates, farmer, and Javin wright. With as big as farmer and wright are do they play olb or safety? Can anyone beat out Dismuke who struggled tackling in space?
Also interested in Jamin graham at olb and whether he can add pass rush. Has big frame but tough to be a front 7 dude in big ten.
Also interested in Keem green whether he plays nose or end and what his role is.
I honestly don’t see a lot of starters in the redshirt freshmen but best bet prob benhart (but that means unseating a current starter), a safety (William coming off injury or Dismuke, Taylor-Britt at corner), a wr (by default lack of depth until fall and then a lot of new faces), a rb (Thompkins get healthy and Johnson improves but doubt they can beat out mills, plus stiff competition from true freshmen), and qb (doubt Martinez gets beaten out but I like what I see out of luke at least a package makes sense but can’t be too predictable

I’m intrigued by the secondary with pola-gates, farmer, and Javin wright. With as big as farmer and wright are do they play olb or safety? Can anyone beat out Dismuke who struggled tackling in space?
Also interested in Jamin graham at olb and whether he can add pass rush. Has big frame but tough to be a front 7 dude in big ten.
Also interested in Keem green whether he plays nose or end and what his role is.
I honestly don’t see a lot of starters in the redshirt freshmen but best bet prob benhart (but that means unseating a current starter), a safety (William coming off injury or Dismuke, Taylor-Britt at corner), a wr (by default lack of depth until fall and then a lot of new faces), a rb (Thompkins get healthy and Johnson improves but doubt they can beat out mills, plus stiff competition from true freshmen), and qb (doubt Martinez gets beaten out but I like what I see out of luke at least a package makes sense but can’t be too predictable
But finally true depth, many two deeps, add in our jucos this year, we are close to being deep with a few dudes here n there

But finally true depth, many two deeps, add in our jucos this year, we are close to being deep with a few dudes here n there
If Cam Taylor is a corner I would suggest losing some weight. He looked a little chunky last year for corner. We need speed on the edges.

Even when Ziggy was hitting his stride, we had Mo who made plays. Mo quit before he quit this year, and all we had was Wandale, not enough.
We need at least three backs.
If Wandale plays a series or two each half, one of the four young guys can take the non-Mills reps. But it would be ideal if another guy was ready to play.

He may have burned a redshirt but Quinton Newsome will be someone to watch. Luke Reimer, Jackson Hannah, Garrett Snodgrass (scout mvp) are others to keep an eye on.

We really need a few of these youngsters to start pushing their way to the top or at least giving anyone ahead if them some legit competition.

Depth Depth Depth. It’s oh so important.
WR is gonna be interesting to watch with the youth/new movement, but really there’s a lot of intrigue and questions needing answered at every single position group on both sides AND even special teams.

It’s gonna be a wide open off season chuck full of players working hard for their place hopefully.

If Cam Taylor is a corner I would suggest losing some weight. He looked a little chunky last year for corner. We need speed on the edges.
At the end of the season Bootle was playing safety and Taylor corner. He is prob our best cover corner this coming season

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I don’t think Ty Robinson will be the nose tackle but expect him to start on the defensive line..

Nance, Houston and Chase have huge opportunity’s this spring after redshirting..

Believe 2AM is the one that needs to step up and prove he is head and shoulders better than Luke McCaffery, because McCaffery going to be much better with season under his belt running this offense..

Piper is going to be a good one down the road and wouldn’t surprise me see him starting by the end of 2020...
I like Robinson better at DE than NG, but I also like Stille, DThomas, and Green better at DE as well. NG is the biggest question mark on the DL by far.
The WRs better step up in the spring because fall camp will bring in new competition. Manning, assuming he makes the grades and shows up in shape, should fit in with JD, Wandale, and Warner, and there might not be a lot of reps left over. If they ever want to get on the field, spring is the time for them to make a push.
QB drama... At least we have options, but I don't expect Frost to give up on Martinez unless it's blindingly obvious to everyone that other options are better. But we don't have enough talent for McCaffrey to sit on the bench, so I hope he has a role at WR as well as QB.
Offensive line will be interesting. We have 5 returning starters! Our OL was actually improving at the end of the year. They could choose to stay with the status quo, and trust to experience to improve. I just don't think our starting 5 has as much talent as some of our younger players. And Bando and Gaylord have shown talent as well, and shouldn't be overlooked IMO. And for the freshmen, Piper and Benhart got all the press last fall and nothing much for the others. But the others like Anderson, Banks, and Fritzche were all undersized for the B1G, and that can change in a year. Anyone heard about their progress?
I wish Frost would publish depth charts in spring practice, but I guess we'll just have to read between the lines as usual and wait for the Purdue game.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Did green do much when he got snaps? I didn't think so, but I'm not the best at watching DL play.

Did green do much when he got snaps? I didn't think so, but I'm not the best at watching DL play.
So so, but he wasnt ready ready. Losing playing time,no SnC, not the best reps in practice due to depth etc.

He will be ready, and could see time at NT as well.

At the end of the season Bootle was playing safety and Taylor corner. He is prob our best cover corner this coming season
No thanks, Bootle is not a safety. He's not near good enough in the run game for that either. Taylor and Bootle as the starting corners will be our best option I think. One of the freshman could be good enough to beat out Dismuke.

Luke McCaffrey will push Adrain Martinez very hard this fall camp and give Frost and Coach V a hard choice a head of them. If McCaffery doesn’t beat out Martinez, then he will see the field as a WR. Frost has already shown he will get McCaffrey out there one way or another.

Bryce Benhart: I’m one of those that have him pretty much pencilled in as a starting OT while Farniok moves to Guard. That makes perfect sense all the way around and gets our best Ol on the field. But don’t count out Turner Corcoran. He could play guard for a year or two if needed and he’s already 295 pounds and a early enrollee. Dude will end up being a 5 star OT on 24/7s next update...

J. Nance, D Houston and/or D Chase will have every opportunity to play this coming season and maybe even lock down a starting spot. But I see Omar Manning locking down one of those starting WR spots along with JD Speilman and Wan’dale Robinson. We will see how WRs play out.

Nick Henrichs, Ty Robinson and Noa Pola-Gates will see the field and play a lot. Not sure if either 3 will Start but they will play a lot. Ty Robinson will play all 3 spots on the Dline. Henrichs and Pola-Gates should play some in their original position and special teams. Same with Jackson Hannah, Myles Farmer, Q Newsome and J White... Believe that.

GBR

Last edited:
No thanks, Bootle is not a safety. He's not near good enough in the run game for that either. Taylor and Bootle as the starting corners will be our best option I think. One of the freshman could be good enough to beat out Dismuke.
Bootle forced a huge fumble coming downhill in the run game against Iowa.

Taylor's jock was on the field getting burnt on a kickoff return negating his season highlight not 20 seconds after it took place.

Which one's not a safety, again?

Bootle forced a huge fumble coming downhill in the run game against Iowa.

Taylor's jock was on the field getting burnt on a kickoff return negating his season highlight not 20 seconds after it took place.

Which one's not a safety, again?
What wae Bootle doing when he was Taylor's age? That Michigan game was one of the worst displays of taking angles to the ball I've ever seen in college football and Bootle had plenty of lowlights in that game and all season in rush defense. Taylor was playing with an injured shoulder for most of the year which affected his ability to tackle in the open field. I'm not as high on Taylor as some are but he's definitely our most versatile player in the secondary. Bootle is a much better corner than he is a safety.

Reactions: kakdawg
Luke McCaffrey will push Adrain Martinez very hard this fall camp and give Frost and Coach V a hard choice a head of them. If McCaffery doesn’t beat out Martinez, then he will see the field as a WR. Frost has already shown he will get McCaffrey out there one way or another.

Bryce Benhart: I’m one of those that have him pretty much pencilled in as a starting OT while Farniok moves to Guard. That makes perfect sense all the way around and gets our best Ol on the field. But don’t count out Turner Corcoran. He could play guard for a year or two if needed and he’s already 295 pounds and and early enrollee. Dude will end up being a 5 star OT on 24/7s next update...

J. Nance, D Houston and/or D Chase will have every opportunity to play this coming season and maybe even lock down a starting spot. But I see Omar Manning locking down one of those starting WR spots along with JD Speilman and Wan’dale Robinson. We will see how WRs play out.

Nick Henrichs, Ty Robinson and Noa Pola-Gates will see the field and play a lot. Not sure if either 3 will Start but they will play a lot. Ty Robinson will play all 3 spots on the Dline. Henrichs and Pola-Gates should play some in their original position and special teams. Same with Jackson Hannah, Myles Farmer, Q Newsome and J White... Believe that.

GBR
Ty Robinson is good enough to start. I just hope we have some options at NT so Robinson doesn't have to be a backup there.

I agree, but I do think Bootle struggled with tackling because he was favoring an injured shoulder. If Deontai Williams comes back healthy, I think Bootle moves to more of a slot corner role.

Yes Thompkins is the big question in my mind in the running back room. Can he play and get back to his old pre-injury self or has he been permanently hurt? We should know this year.

Reactions: headcard
Yes Thompkins is the big question in my mind in the running back room. Can he play and get back to his old pre-injury self or has he been permanently hurt? We should know this year.

In my opinion we’ll never see him play a down for us. I believe our coaches honored his offer due to really liking the kid and the relationship going forward with his high school team.

Bootles a damn good d back, not a safety. He wont et your ints, be he will pass defend very well.
He abandoned his tackling technique in one game, gave the body block hit and no wrap and drive, he corrected that the next game, he even acknowledged it after his bad game.

My guess is, Green,Ty, a sample of polar bear and possibly Rogers at NT. Course, Daniels.

My guess is Daniels and Green play majority of NT snaps with Robinson and D Thomas possibly sharing some load.
I’m skeptical Hutmacher could be ready, but if he could contribute that’d be good.
Jordan Riley will be another X Factor as far as what he can bring. At least he’s experienced and has the size.

In my opinion we’ll never see him play a down for us. I believe our coaches honored his offer due to really liking the kid and the relationship going forward with his high school team.
Don't know but I thought I read a post not long ago that indicated our coaches were still really excited about him and his potential. Maybe it was a BS post. Officially though it's been really silent regarding his recovery prospects.

My guess is Daniels and Green play majority of NT snaps with Robinson and D Thomas possibly sharing some load.
I’m skeptical Hutmacher could be ready, but if he could contribute that’d be good.
Jordan Riley will be another X Factor as far as what he can bring. At least he’s experienced and has the size.
He's still wrestling, so yea, he may not be until late in the season, but he really needs college level snaps.
I think Riley is depth, possibly with three rotating on snap counts, for each guy, meaning, some have more in their tank than others, so it'll vary from player to player.

Oh, and I think they'll use Thomas's speed on the ends mainly, could be wrong, but that guy has quick hands, but an inconsistent first step. A good disrupter either way.

Bootles a damn good d back, not a safety. He wont et your ints, be he will pass defend very well.
He abandoned his tackling technique in one game, gave the body block hit and no wrap and drive, he corrected that the next game, he even acknowledged it after his bad game.

Well, if he was as good as you say he would not have been beaten out. When he was in there the opposing team looked for his number.

What wae Bootle doing when he was Taylor's age? That Michigan game was one of the worst displays of taking angles to the ball I've ever seen in college football and Bootle had plenty of lowlights in that game and all season in rush defense. Taylor was playing with an injured shoulder for most of the year which affected his ability to tackle in the open field. I'm not as high on Taylor as some are but he's definitely our most versatile player in the secondary. Bootle is a much better corner than he is a safety.
Bootle was only playing safety because of a rash of injuries to our safeties. We needed somebody back there who knew the job and could cover. We had better young options at CB to fill in for Bootle than we had young options left at safety who were up to speed. Bootle won't be playing safety next fall. IF he is, something is really wrong.

Bootle was only playing safety because of a rash of injuries to our safeties. We needed somebody back there who knew the job and could cover. We had better young options at CB to fill in for Bootle than we had young options left at safety who were up to speed. Bootle won't be playing safety next fall. IF he is, something is really wrong.
Agreed. If he is, our safeties are hurting.
We are trying to get our best out there, it doesnt mean at just one spot.
Getting someone at safety who knows whats going on outweighs the difference between number one or two db, simple as that.
A safety has to know and see and react to many things, not a db. But a young db won't see those things, he's still learning his craft.
So, everyone, just remember what Fish said about positions and recruiting for positions, he doesnt, unless its a perfect fit, so, seeing Bootle at safety doesn't nor shouldn't surprise anyone.

Possibly, but he looked like a 5* running back after his first knee injury so we'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT