ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Trending Unfavorably

Let's see what happens after things get back closer to normal and kids can take visits. I just don't know what to make of kids committing during this shut down.
It’s great when highly rated 4 star or higher commits early and I’m not going to state it’s silly to discuss, but there’s literally no reason to get excited or upset about recruiting until after early signing day. We all know fan bases that love Spring and Summer recruiting smack talk, but then around December their teams finish in the 30s or 40s while Nebraska closes another top 20 class.

Reactions: timnsun
^^^This^^^
Frost simply has to find a way to a winning season this year with what he already has in the cupboard despite our rugged schedule. If we have another losing season this year and miss a bowl game again we are in serious trouble. Even going 6-6 would be a ho hum season. We need to generate momentum, buzz, and positive media attention.

This is one of the most important seasons in the history of Nebraska football. For the past three years our program has slipped below teams like Minnesota and Purdue. The national perception is that Nebraska is a has been program in decline. And Frost, so far, has done zilch to change that.

Count me among the pessimists. As far as I am concerned Frost hasn’t shown me anything that gives me hope. Atrocious special teams, even worse play calling, radically inconsistent QB play, soft defense, and excuse making. That is the legacy of Frost so far.
As has been stated on here many times, a lot rides on quarterback play. I'm not a quarterback expert by any means, but from what I saw last year, Smothers better be the real deal and he better take over early this year. And yes, I am aware that Martinez was injured. Just my opinion.

As has been stated on here many times, a lot rides on quarterback play. I'm not a quarterback expert by any means, but from what I saw last year, Smothers better be the real deal and he better take over early this year. And yes, I am aware that Martinez was injured. Just my opinion.
I would like to think a newbie like Smothers could come in here and make things better. But he is a true freshman and very raw. This pandemic has shut down practices and puts someone like Smothers behind the curve. I am just crossing my fingers that AMart is greatly improved this year. There are those who say that if you look at his stats from last year he actually was pretty good and all the negativity is misplaced. I call bullshit on that. Anybody with two eyeballs could see that he was slow and tentative in his running, and made poor judgments in his passing. He had flashes, yes, but his great weakness last year was inconsistency. Good one play, awful the next. He killed a lot of drives all by himself. So he better improve this year. He is our QB.

Since we've been on lockdown from Covid we have been receiving only negative news when it comes to recruiting.

Terrance Lewis -- Just committed to Tennessee
Dickerson -- Committed to Minnessota
Travion Ford -- Committed to Mizzou
Chester's kid (Johnson) -- Is not looking promising to us.

Having said that, are these kids so bored that they are craving the attention this badly by committing? How can these kids make a rational decision without even taking all their visits?
Should we be concerned? Are recruits waiting for Frost to finally win before committing?

Would like to get your thoughts as to why you think we are struggling on the recruiting end.
First in this take. "Frost is after bigger fish." lol

FWIW Alabama has 3 commits right now, 2 4* and a 3*, Oklahoma has 4, 1 4* and 3 3*.

Iowa took 22 kids last year and had 9 committed before May, we had 3 before May last year and took 24 and finished ahead of Iowa.

You think Saban and Riley are worried about numbers right now?

This time last year Fleming and Francois were Miami verbals, Brown was a Texas Tech signee, Greene was a FSU verbal.

You can brag about getting the first dance with the girl at the bar, but unless you make it to closing time it doesn’t matter.
This post is simply too fact-based and rational to have any place on this board. Mods - could you please remove it so we can all get back to jumping off a bridge?

Hardly. Not everyone agreed with your cynicism and woe is Nebraska recruiting thread. It’s always easier to piss and moan than stay the course.

Didn’t expect everyone to agree and I don’t really care. Many did agree in case you chose to overlook that. I can handle differences in opinion or else I wouldn’t create a thread. Carry on.

Didn’t expect everyone to agree and I don’t really care. Many did agree in case you chose to overlook that. I can handle differences in opinion or else I wouldn’t create a thread. Carry on.

Doesn’t seem like it.

It may be all over for all of us.

gloom-despair-and-agony.md.gif

I will admit that missing on some top targets isn't great and the results on the field don't help that. But the flip side is we have 6 commits so far, all of whom will fill an immediate need. Also, kids can't take OV right now, which in my mind tells me that some kids will be taking OV come fall (assuming they can) and you'll see some decommits. I anticipate this recruiting cycle being a very hectic one as a whole. And it's still the spring, kids don't sign until the winter. So there's still A LONG WAY to go. Last year's strategy worked, and although it isn't something that is exactly ideal, the staff has shown they're able to close. Take a step back and let everything play out.

The board needs some kind of Wall of Fame of posts made in spring that declare the recruiting class to be in serious trouble.

In a couple of years, Frost should be fired if he's not winning 9+ games a year. He's going to have some serious talent by then.

Recruiting does not seem to be an issue for Nebraska now or in the past. The Huskers consistently get top 20 classes. It would be a "premature evaluation" to make any judgements on the current class as it's still very early in the process. Nobody ever gets all the prospects they want so there will be some disappointments. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Seven wins and a bowl game have been mentioned as benchmarks to provide program momentum. Looking at the 2020 schedule, it's not delusional to conclude that Nebraska could be 7-0 through the Rutgers game on 10/21.

After that, the road gets very rough with @Ohio State, Penn State, @Iowa, @Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Winning 1-2 games of the final five would be considered a success, from this outsiders point of view.

Recruiting does not seem to be an issue for Nebraska now or in the past. The Huskers consistently get top 20 classes. It would be a "premature evaluation" to make any judgements on the current class as it's still very early in the process. Nobody ever gets all the prospects they want so there will be some disappointments. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Seven wins and a bowl game have been mentioned as benchmarks to provide program momentum. Looking at the 2020 schedule, it's not delusional to conclude that Nebraska could be 7-0 through the Rutgers game on 10/21.

After that, the road gets very rough with @Ohio State, Penn State, @Iowa, @Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Winning 1-2 games of the final five would be considered a success, from this outsiders point of view.

agreed and it would be a success. I honestly see the Huskers going 7-5 to 8-4 range. And if that happens, most all Husker fans will be happy and satisfied for the progress. I expect to see a much, MUCH better Oline with Bryce Benhart starting at Right OT this season. Add that with an experienced, big back in D Mills and you have an offense that can dictate the game. I also expect to see much better QB in A Martinez. If not, we will eventually see Luke McCaffrey taking over at QB and that young man is a dangerous QB with the ball in his hands.

I also expect to see much better QB in A Martinez. If not, we will eventually see Luke McCaffrey taking over at QB and that young man is a dangerous QB with the ball in his hands.

AM2 regressed last year. It was hard to watch. If it was just injuries, then I hope he's past that. If not, let's hope that Luke has progressed enough that Frost will use him when Adrian is not playing well enough to win games that we should. Of course, that would mean that Frost has progressed, too.

agreed and it would be a success. I honestly see the Huskers going 7-5 to 8-4 range. And if that happens, most all Husker fans will be happy and satisfied for the progress. I expect to see a much, MUCH better Oline with Bryce Benhart starting at Right OT this season. Add that with an experienced, big back in D Mills and you have an offense that can dictate the game. I also expect to see much better QB in A Martinez. If not, we will eventually see Luke McCaffrey taking over at QB and that young man is a dangerous QB with the ball in his hands.
The only thing you left out was "we’ll take what we want."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT