ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Trending Unfavorably

CatColumbia

All-American
Apr 19, 2014
One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
Since we've been on lockdown from Covid we have been receiving only negative news when it comes to recruiting.

Terrance Lewis -- Just committed to Tennessee
Dickerson -- Committed to Minnessota
Travion Ford -- Committed to Mizzou
Chester's kid (Johnson) -- Is not looking promising to us.

Having said that, are these kids so bored that they are craving the attention this badly by committing? How can these kids make a rational decision without even taking all their visits?
Should we be concerned? Are recruits waiting for Frost to finally win before committing?

Would like to get your thoughts as to why you think we are struggling on the recruiting end.

I don't know about the kids, but it's certain we're so bored we're flipping our wigs on april 30th about the 2021 class

quarantine brain will be a real, diagnosed disorder by the 4th of July

it will be more contagious than covid

Reactions: dinglefritz
I could be wrong, but it seems like we have not dealt well with the Covid shutdown. This staff has always seemed organized and motivated on the recruiting front, but nothing really seems to be happening. It almost seems like we thought recruiting would stop and we are waiting for everything to start back up, while other schools have pushed ahead.

I could be wrong, but it seems like we have not dealt well with the Covid shutdown. This staff has always seemed organized and motivated on the recruiting front, but nothing really seems to be happening. It almost seems like we thought recruiting would stop and we are waiting for everything to start back up, while other schools have pushed ahead.
I would add to this that it seems as though our staff has a plan for in home recruiting. They can hang with most coaches on the actual recruiting trail.

On the virtual trail? Maybe not so much... I have to believe they have something going on now virtually, but if they joined the virtual trail late, it looks like they are playing catch up.

Reactions: headcard
Since we've been on lockdown from Covid we have been receiving only negative news when it comes to recruiting.

Having said that, are these kids so bored that they are craving the attention this badly by committing? How can these kids make a rational decision without even taking all their visits?
Should we be concerned? Are recruits waiting for Frost to finally win before committing?

Would like to get your thoughts as to why you think we are struggling on the recruiting end.
I’m not sure that Lewis and Johnson should be considered huge surprises by any means... losing Dickerson was an eye opener, and if we lose Johnson, that also is concerning... like Rambo said, however, it is only April...

Can coaches do in home visits? Can they travel to a kids school? Does Frosty not understand how to use zoom? Me think NU recruits well when we get kids into campus and on game day...that is impossible...so right now we are an invisible school with a pathetic recent history who happens to sit in the middle of corn america. We aren't going to recruit well in such an environment.

Reactions: Wannabee8

This is pretty much spot on how I've been thinking. Our coaches approach seems to be more laid back rather than bullish like a lot of other coaches and we're losing. Hopefully those commits will be open to visit us later in the year.

I’m not sure that Lewis and Johnson should be considered huge surprises by any means... losing Dickerson was an eye opener, and if we lose Johnson, that also is concerning... like Rambo said, however, it is only April...

It surprises me that anybody would commit anywhere right now. Lewis and Ford weren't surprises but the timing is puzzling to me.

Well I don't think it's a huge surprise. The key ingredient IMO to Nebraska's recruiting has always been on campus visits and especially those gameday visits. The virus has shut any visits for the time being so that really hurts Nebraska recruiting.

The good news IMO is that once visits open back up there will be more than a few committed recruits changing their minds by signing day.

I don't know about the kids, but it's certain we're so bored we're flipping our wigs on april 30th about the 2021 class

quarantine brain will be a real, diagnosed disorder by the 4th of July

it will be more contagious than covid
Gee, if only we could finish in the top three of finishes of all teams...oh wait

You must have forgotten about the commitment we just got

We won 1 but lost 3 in the past two weeks. Two of our top linebacker targets didn’t even wait to visit us in person before committing elsewhere. No positive way to spin how things are going on the recruiting front.

You make it sound like the sky is falling. Is it all over for Nebraska and Scott Frost because of the last two weeks?

You make it sound like the sky is falling. Is it all over for Nebraska and Scott Frost because of the last two weeks?

Well we haven’t been bowling 4 out of 5 past years. We need to inject our program with top notch players. The fact that our top targets are flocking elsewhere is not something that brings me joy. I won’t apologize for wanting us to win.

We won 1 but lost 3 in the past two weeks. Two of our top linebacker targets didn’t even wait to visit us in person before committing elsewhere. No positive way to spin how things are going on the recruiting front.
I don’t know that we were ever really in it with either, but I agree recruiting is not going well right now. Good news is, we started slow and closed strong the last two classes.

The bloom is off the Rose. Frost was a splash hire. The last two years have taken a bite out of that. Neb is in a position where they have to perform to get some of that excitement back. VanHorn in baseball. He stays here a few more years...maybe Neb baseball is in the top 10 a couple more times and another CWS. Lightning in a bottle is what Devaney was and Osborne sustained what he built and maybe even ratcheted up a notch. Now? We are anyone else...name the school. We need to win otherwise recruiting suffers more and more. Are we a program on the rise or a has been? Hopefully Neb proves the former this year. I too have noticed a decline in recruiting the 4 stars this year from previous. Not a surprise. Neb has been irrelevant for 15 years. Need to win or it will fall further.

Verbals push earlier and earlier, kids are bored without anything to do. Kids flip every year, Nebraska has had people commit sight unseen before, then they don’t stick.

I think slimy people are pushing kids to “hold their spot” earlier every year, wake me up when September ends.

FWIW Alabama has 3 commits right now, 2 4* and a 3*, Oklahoma has 4, 1 4* and 3 3*.

Iowa took 22 kids last year and had 9 committed before May, we had 3 before May last year and took 24 and finished ahead of Iowa.

You think Saban and Riley are worried about numbers right now?

This time last year Fleming and Francois were Miami verbals, Brown was a Texas Tech signee, Greene was a FSU verbal.

You can brag about getting the first dance with the girl at the bar, but unless you make it to closing time it doesn’t matter.

FWIW Alabama has 3 commits right now, 2 4* and a 3*, Oklahoma has 4, 1 4* and 3 3*.

Iowa took 22 kids last year and had 9 committed before May, we had 3 before May last year and took 24 and finished ahead of Iowa.

This time last year Fleming and Francois were Miami verbals, Brown was a Texas Tech signee, Greene was a FSU verbal.

You can brag about getting the first dance with the girl at the bar, but unless you make it to closing time it doesn’t matter.
I may be wrong

The bloom is off the Rose. Frost was a splash hire. The last two years have taken a bite out of that. Neb is in a position where they have to perform to get some of that excitement back. VanHorn in baseball. He stays here a few more years...maybe Neb baseball is in the top 10 a couple more times and another CWS. Lightning in a bottle is what Devaney was and Osborne sustained what he built and maybe even ratcheted up a notch. Now? We are anyone else...name the school. We need to win otherwise recruiting suffers more and more. Are we a program on the rise or a has been? Hopefully Neb proves the former this year. I too have noticed a decline in recruiting the 4 stars this year from previous. Not a surprise. Neb has been irrelevant for 15 years. Need to win or it will fall further.

Bingo Rick.

Well said

Love your last sentence. Hit it right on the nail!

Clester's kid is going to do what he wants. He saw his older brother go somewhere else and have a lot of success while some recent Nebraska kids have languished on NU's bench. I think he's a good talent, but I'm not sure he's one to lose sleep over.

I'm not panicking yet, but we're not exactly Alabama and Oklahoma either.

Agreed. Although I think that Frost should have done better his first couple of years, this is a rebuild of the program. It's not turning Riley's players into national champions. I know many thought that was possible. Like dingle said, we're just looking for improvement.

Hard to believe that "we hardly put anyone into the pros, we are trying not to have a losing record, we don't get to even inconsequential bowls, we make the news for the wrong reasons, we get humiliated when we are on national tv, we have never been relevant during your lifetime, we are in the middle of nowhere and it is usually freezing" isn't hitting a higher note with recruits.

Yes... but 7 wins is far from a slam dunk.

We ride with Frost for at least two more years is my guess. The program was already in shambles when he took over and he had to re-blow it up again. I just want to see us getting to a bowl. The program, players, fan base and even Frost needs a confidence booster (although he’s probably too proud to ever admit). I’m convinced if we can break through to a bowl this year, we’re going to take off really quick. If not, I can’t see how any coach can stay on at a major program after 3 consecutive loosing seasons.

^^^This^^^
Frost simply has to find a way to a winning season this year with what he already has in the cupboard despite our rugged schedule. If we have another losing season this year and miss a bowl game again we are in serious trouble. Even going 6-6 would be a ho hum season. We need to generate momentum, buzz, and positive media attention.

This is one of the most important seasons in the history of Nebraska football. For the past three years our program has slipped below teams like Minnesota and Purdue. The national perception is that Nebraska is a has been program in decline. And Frost, so far, has done zilch to change that.

Count me among the pessimists. As far as I am concerned Frost hasn’t shown me anything that gives me hope. Atrocious special teams, even worse play calling, radically inconsistent QB play, soft defense, and excuse making. That is the legacy of Frost so far.

Agreed. Although I think that Frost should have done better his first couple of years, this is a rebuild of the program. It's not turning Riley's players into national champions. I know many thought that was possible. Like dingle said, we're just looking for improvement.
Well the improvement better be significant and across the board. Going 6-6 and getting blown out of the stadium when we play the "big boys" isn't going to cut it. We should not, in year three, lose to teams like Purdue, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Northwestern and so on. All four of those games are must wins. Win those games and we are almost a lock for an 8 win season. And hopefully we knock off two of the big boys ... say Wisconsin and Iowa ... in order to really move the needle. And we should show some fight and grit against OSU and PSU.

That opening game against Purdue is huge. Lose it and the season could get ugly.

And please, please, please... no more "bad apples" speeches.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT