ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting gurus...

Here in SoCal I don't notice it too much, but back in NE last week for the MSU game it was evident. Very cold and snow flurries during game, then 50 degrees and nice the next day. I looked at Mrs. HuskerWed and said, yup, the climate changed from Saturday to Sunday. She surmised the climate has been changing for the last several billion years or so, even before the Flintstones started making man made changes. I couldn't wait to get home to fire up my SUVs in hopes of making it change some more.

Yep. These climate dorks can’t even use the correct terminology. Near as I can tell the “climate” hasn’t changed anywhere. SoCal is still arid, Baja still pretty much the same and Florida still humid...And they can’t figure out why. Maybe SC can tell us when the next(hint:first) hurricane will hit LA? Guessing he thinks one can...he can also explain why, if all the believes is true, why is Al Gore getting fatter if the world is getting warmer and why would fat Al buy a beach house in an area that was supposed to be underwater by 2012? I mean...science told us...didn’t it????

Yep. These climate dorks can’t even use the correct terminology. Near as I can tell the “climate” hasn’t changed anywhere. SoCal is still arid, Baja still pretty much the same and Florida still humid...And they can’t figure out why. Maybe SC can tell us when the next(hint:first) hurricane will hit LA? Guessing he thinks one can...he can also explain why, if all the believes is true, why is Al Gore getting fatter if the world is getting warmer and why would fat Al buy a beach house in an area that was supposed to be underwater by 2012? I mean...science told us...didn’t it????

Thanks for the laughs, playa. Sad that Nebraska has fans like you. I bet you and Husaria light up Wandale's Twitter on a daily basis, don't you?

Hope you two don't get all triggered over this and shoot up a Planned Parenthood clinic or anything.

Here is what I posted last winter, from around the national championship game. Obviously, you need coaching too, but I found these numbers interesting.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I was interested to see what type of recruiting classes that it takes to win a national title today, so I went back and looked at the last 10 national champions. I took rivals rankings and used their last 5 recruiting classes.

2016 Clemson(6,4,13,14,14) Avg: 10.2
2015 Alabama(2,1,1,1,1) Avg: 1.2
2014 Ohio State(3,2,4,11,25) Avg: 9
2013 Florida State(10,6,2,10,7) Avg: 7
2012 Alabama(1,1,5,1,1) Avg: 1.8
2011 Alabama(1,5,1,1,10) Avg: 3.6
2010 Auburn(4,19,20,7,10) Avg: 12
2009 Alabama(1,1,10,11,18) Avg: 8.2
2008 Florida(3,1,2,15,7) Avg: 5.6
2007 LSU(4,7,22,2,1) Avg: 7.2
Average ranking of Nat'l Champs: 6.58

The average class ranking of the last 10 is 6.58.There are multiple number 1 classes with Alabama having most of them. Each team had at least 1 top 5 class and at least 2 top ten classes.

Then, I wondered what it takes to be able to play in the CFB Playoff. We have now had the playoff for 4 years. Here is what I found out using the 5 prior class rankings:

2014(Average 8.6)
Oregon(26,22,16,9,13) Avg 17.2
Ohio St(3,2,4,11,25) Avg: 9
FSU(4,10,6,2,10) Avg: 6.4
Bama(1,1,1,1,5) Avg: 1.8

2015(Average ranking 14.2)
Clemson(4,13,14,14,8) Avg: 10.6
Bama(2,1,1,1,1) Avg: 1.2
OU(14,15,15,11,14) Avg: 13.8
Mich St(22,22,40,41,31) Avg 31.2

2016(Average Ranking 11)
Clemson(6,4,13,14,14) Avg: 10.2
Bama(1,2,1,1,1) Avg 1.2
Ohio St(3,9,3,2,4) Avg 4.2
Washington(37,30,36,18,21) Avg: 28.4

2017(Average Ranking 7.7)
OU(7,16,14,15,15) Avg: 10.4
Clemson(22,6,4,13,14) Avg: 11.8
Georgia(3,9,6,7,12) Avg: 7.4
Bama(1,1,2,1,1) Avg: 1.2

Obviously it is a little easier to make the playoff as the average recruiting classes are about 10. MSU and Washington showed that you can get there with "average" classes. The playoff definitely has made it harder to win National Titles today. Wisconsin is trying to buck that trend with their system. They do a pretty good job of recruiting to their system and committing to their system. They do have conference championships to show for it. As a Husker fan right now, I would love to have their level of success they have had recently. But, the trend is against them to win a natty if you look at the latest numbers.

So, I agree that we need recruiting at it's highest level possible to win a natty. That must be married with coaching and player development. My question for the above analysis would be: Does Alabama's prevalence and consistent 1 ranking skew our conclusions into a self fulfilling prophecy?

Reactions: HuskerWisdom

Even your current, climate science rejecting government thinks your opinion is incorrect:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...eport-paints-grim-future-from-climate-change/

I used a link from Breitbart, because, well, I wanted you to be comfortable it wasn't "fake news". Believe what you wish, I suppose. Science has zero *&^% to give.

Well, in my opinion recruiting ratings are far, far better with skill positions than linemen. For the big uglies, it's not so easy.

Well, how many Power 5 true freshman are starters from day one with the numbers he has? I contend they got it wrong. He is a 5 star IMO.

This is kind of where my thoughts go. Sites like these rank prospects based on potential, with that said I’d say where sites get it wrong are with your two three or no star kids that pan out to be better then the four or five star kids. I have seen a lot of people people also mention development which I think play the biggest part in any of it... but I think what I’d like to see more then anything is maybe like a second ranking, by system fit... say you have a kid that is a fit for a 3-4 d and was ranked 3 star and signed with let’s say Nebraska... he fits the scheme the kid has work ethic maybe then he would be a 4 star, but say the same kid signs with a team that runs a 4-3 still has same work ethic but isn’t really a scheme fit so stays at a three star... there are a lot of things that play into a kids development and if he “pans” out, it’s scheme fit, coaching stability, strength and conditioning, quality of position coaches, and work ethic of the kid, all of those things are hard for anyone to rate, for the present and the future... that is all

Well, in my opinion recruiting ratings are far, far better with skill positions than linemen. For the big uglies, it's not so easy.
The thing to remember is that when Bama gets a 4 star, they are normally a higher ranked 4 star than we land. IF they ever take a 3 star to fill out a class, they are usually bumping up against being a 4 star. So, while we may expect that 4 star to have the same potential from one school to the next, that doesn't always work that way. For one, it is a helluva alot easier to look good playing with a bunch of other more talented guys next to you IMO. Secondly, Bama has lots of 4 star guys who don't pan out. Some of them transfer or just end up as special team players. I take a little exception to Raridon being listed as a guy who flopped when he's as young as he is. I expect him to play next year. Somebody has to replace Foster and Farmer and Raridon has shown pretty well the little bit I've got to see him play.

Last edited:
When you sign 20+ 4 and 5 star recruits every year - even if half of them don't pan out, you still have more talent than most of the other teams that only sign a handful of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT