ADVERTISEMENT

Reality...once again

What a bunch of babies. Some idiot writer in Orlando writes a hit piece on Nebraska so they can keep their coach and everybody here starts talking about the "new reality" and we'll never get another good coach again. We are going to get a new coach in a few months and his name is Scott Frost. He's going to be just what we needed.

Good post up till the last 2 sentences. Riley isn't done at Nebraska after 3 games so anything about a new coach in a few months is hogwash.

Can't compare basketball to football. The difference in the sports and # of scholarships are the big reasons.

Complete hatchet job b/c they know Frost has potential and will be at the top of our list whenever we search for our next coach. However,think of this article a good thing, because it validates they also believe highly in his future coaching prospects.

GBR

Good question, maybe we'll find out.

Everyone understood why Nebraska fired Pelini, not even in the same ballpark as Solich. I'll dig up the social media support, coast to coast, if it's needed...
Frost would take the job as long as we didn't try to go cheap like Tom did in his hiring. Make and offer commensurate with the position and Frost would take it in a heartbeat. Solich has been 15 years or so now hasn't it? 3 coaches ago I'm not sure many people give a s### about how or why Solich was fired anymore. What they see is a guy running a mediocre MAC program now who probably was in over his head at NU. Loved the guy but Tom probably did him a disservice by naming him head coach. Riley isn't going anywhere. If anything we may have some new assistants next spring.

Teams that have gotten better with new coaches in last 4 years:
Purdue
Louisville
UCF
Washington
Maryland
Wyoming

I don't think any of these schools are a better place to coach than Nebraska yet they have gotten better. My point is this. Its not about which schools are better places to coach, Its all about getting a better coach.

There are coaches out there that can turn around Nebraska. Nebraska is not undesirable. The question is can Nebraska find the right coach.

We have $, fan support, and facilities. If those schools can find a coach to turn it around Nebraska can too.
Add in Washington State - has anyone ever been to pullman - talk about in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing yet Leach seems to be able to win after taking over a team/program who was winning 2 games if that a year he is now in the top 25

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Don't they play indoors?

Still have to live (and walk to class) in the bitter cold for 3-4 months of the year. But the point is that climate is just an excuse. There are plenty of schools in cold climates that are doing just fine. Oklahoma is about the least exciting place to live in the country, yet they have 2 schools ranked in the Top 10. Even Washington State and Mississippi State are currently ranked despite having by far the worst locations in their respective conferences. Utah manages to produce good sports teams every year despite being seen as a cold place full of Mormons.

It's also a poor excuse considering our competition. To win our division we only have to be better than Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, etc. which are also cold places far away from recruiting hotbeds. We've finished with higher-ranked recruiting classes than Wisconsin and Iowa every year, even the years they've kicked our ass. A great coach should be able to come in and win this division almost every year.

We haven't had any games canceled because of hurricanes. "Bitterly cold," my ass. Screw those suffocatingly hot-weather states like Florida. And Bianchi. He was a hack when I shared a press box with him, and he's still a hack.

Too many people confuse proximity with weather. Kids stay close to home because its close to home. Southern kids who stay close to home do so because it's close to home, the weather isn't the factor many make it out to be. It's a convenient excuse and sounds better than I want to be close to my mommy.

Teams that have gotten better with new coaches in last 4 years:
Purdue
Louisville
UCF
Washington
Maryland
Wyoming

I don't think any of these schools are a better place to coach than Nebraska yet they have gotten better. My point is this. Its not about which schools are better places to coach, Its all about getting a better coach.

There are coaches out there that can turn around Nebraska. Nebraska is not undesirable. The question is can Nebraska find the right coach.

We have $, fan support, and facilities. If those schools can find a coach to turn it around Nebraska can too.

You might want to hold your horses on UCF, Maryland, and Purdue.

Good question, maybe we'll find out.

Everyone understood why Nebraska fired Pelini, not even in the same ballpark as Solich. I'll dig up the social media support, coast to coast, if it's needed...

We going to get some thoughts on the big picture here, CDubs? I'd enjoy reading it.

We going to get some thoughts on the big picture here, CDubs? I'd enjoy reading it.

After today's news, I wouldn't know where to start. Not sure if I'm interested in digging stuff up, very time consuming and for what benefit? I don't say this as a FU to you, more as a general statement...

After today's news, I wouldn't know where to start. Not sure if I'm interested in digging stuff up, very time consuming and for what benefit? I don't say this as a FU to you, more as a general statement...

All good.

The Orlando newspaper has no Idea what they are talking about. With that said I am not sure Scott Frost is the answer at this time. Scott is still a very young coach and has not been a Head Coach that long.

If a recruit has any interest in playing in places like New England, Green Bay, Denver, Chicago, New York, Kansas City......where would you rather get your experience ? Where it's so hot you can't breath, or a place that has similar weather to most pro sites. Nebraska should use its weather as a recruiting advantage.
absolutely !!

For coaches or players? I think the point was players not wanting to come here because it is cold versus the beaches of Florida.

Coaches know what sells and what doesn't.

I also don't think money is the key factor. They are all going to get a big chunk of change and after a couple million what difference does it make?

People keep saying back up there checkbook or open the check book but that is a dream and is used to further the narrative of why coaches won't come to Nebraska in my opinion.
It doesn't start getting cold here until the end of November. September and October are usually great weather for football. December and January suck but they'll be practicing indoors in December and in January they can stay inside and work on their studies. The weather is fine here. I don't see how playing in the heat and humidity of Florida would be more appealing to recruits. If places like Alabama and Clemson can get top recruiting classes every year, I don't see why we couldn't do it here with the right coaching staff.

The weather isn't the reason those players won't come to Nebraska. Kids from the south will go to northern schools. It is similar to the Tuscaloosa is a shit hole discussion from yesterday. Players will go where they are comfortable. Weather factors in, but it isn't the primary reason players choose to play elsewhere. Its just an easy "excuse" .

I don't think Frost ever comes back to Nebraska but it is because of how he believes he was treated and not considered for positions in the past.
He was never mistreated. The timing never matched up. He could have maybe come here and been OC at one point but I doubt he was going to leave Oregon for that. SE basically conducted a 1 man search so if there was any animosity it would be directed at him. If we offer the job, Frost is coming here.

Frost had been gone for what, 20 years? It's very likely he considers Florida his home more than Nebraska. I know lots of people who loved growing up in Nebraska, but left and have no interest in coming back.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
The question is competitiveness and I think Nebraska, with the right guy, can become a consistently good football team. One thing Riley and Devaney (and yes, the former AD) have done is set-up a good administrative architecture for recruiting and other off the field analysis and support for the athletes and coach.

For me the question is finding the right guy who can develop players and instill a mentality that excepts nothing but the best from players and coaches. Now that best may not always be enough to win National championships but it should be enough to always be competitive and not embarrass the university and fan base.

I think that is what the two suits were suggesting the other day when they sent the former AD off to elephant country. I hope Riley and company can be those guys. One way or another we are going to find out very soon it Coach can achieve that standard set out by the Grand Muftis.

As far as the Orlando guy..

giphy.gif

How do you feel now? AD fired. Riley next.

Perhaps. But it's pretty darn clear now that this firing wasn't simply a consequence of the start to the football season. It's been brewing for some time and the reasoning was vast. The NIU loss was cover.

IMO ... assuming both were going to be relieved we waited a year too long to fire both Solich and Pelini. Could justify firing Solich after 7 losses but difficult to message how you decide to bring him back and then fire him after he wins 10 games.

Likewise easier to justify the Pelini firing the year before with his media meltdowns. The decision to fire him should have been framed more around behavior and poor representation of the university than wins and losses. He should have been congratulated for the 9 annual wins but the message should have been centered around how it is more than just winning games that we expect from the head coach at the university of nebraska

I think we would have been in a much better position with prospective head coaches if the firings had occurred a year earlier and the messaging had been a bit different

Hmmmm......I see your point and I think you could be right.

"But", firing Frank to get Clownahan was...well, a truly monster sized disaster. Firing Frank for having NU in the NC game? For winning the BigXII? ....my God, to get a totally worthless Clownahan?

I like your posts compadre'. We'll just agree to disagree on this one. No big deal.

GBR!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT