ADVERTISEMENT

Radley-Hiles to Oklahoma (Crystal Ball)

DudznSudz

Senior
Feb 4, 2016
LOT of noise about that right now...if we lose this recruit, my argument for "Riley recruits well" is going bye bye. Hire Frost, lets get this ship righted. I'm totally in that camp now.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
LOT of noise about that right now...if we lose this recruit, my argument for "Riley recruits well" is going bye bye. Hire Frost, lets get this ship righted. I'm totally in that camp now.

You can’t fault this coaching staff for losing recruits. Bookie knows Riley is getting fired, that’s why we are losing him and recruiting has virtually stalled. Who would commit to a school with a lame duck head coach mid season?

I am not certain anyone knows exactly what is going to happen. All of the speculation, and that is what it is, is unnerving for any kid. Can't blame them. The adults, now that is a different story.

Reactions: kikdakan

Not concerned yet. These CB picks to OK are based on that 7-on-7 creeps quotes.

Reactions: dinglefritz
How do you say your argument for Riley being a good recruiter goes bye bye? Bookie was 100% Nebraska, even with a rocky season, before Riley's job stability came into question. Between the performances and the lack of patience from fans and administration, that is no longer the case. Bookie is going elsewhere because Riley won't be here, not because Riley isn't a good recruiter.

Last edited:
Might worry about some of those guys sticking around if Riley is let go too.
Yup. We will be back to a bare bones two-deep between the recruits we lose and the players who came to play for Riley who end up leaving. I know so many fans want change and aren't willing to see the process play out any further, but those same fans need to know that the next coach will need 4-5 years to rebuild a depleted roster, just like Riley needed when he showed up, before we can fully judge his work. Even if the new coach comes in and competes with Riley's 2 and a half classes and wins, we should be slow to judge him as a coach until his system and players are in place. Hopefully we learned from Bo Pelini's tenure that we need a good coach AND a good recruiter.

Last edited:
Yup. We will be back to a bare bones two-deep between the recruits we lose and the players who came to play for Riley. I know so many fans want change and aren't willing to see the process play out any further, but those same fans need to know that the next coach will need 4-5 years to rebuild a depleted roster, just like Riley needed when he showed up, before we can fully judge his work. Even if the new coach comes in and competes with Riley's 2 and a half classes and wins, we should be slow to judge him as a coach until his system and players are in place. Hopefully we learned from Bo Pelini's tenure that we need a good coach AND a good recruiter.
It only took Riley a year to turn a 9+ win program into a joke and three years to turn it into a disaster. Shouldn't take that long to fix it.

Attends IMG, and the CB's roll in for Florida.

Visits Clemson, and the CB's roll in for Clemson.

Visits Oklahoma, and the CB's roll in for Oklahoma.

There's a theme here folks.

It only took Riley a year to turn a 9+ win program into a joke and three years to turn it into a disaster. Shouldn't take that long to fix it.
You're probably right. You clearly understand the roster issues Pelini was having and would have had if he had been retained as the head coach. I mean, if there were only evidence of Pelini succeeding when he wasn't playing with the players he didn't have to recruit and then failing once he actually had to start using his recruits...

Possibly but Tyjon Lindsey is still at NU and I believe he is Bookie's cousin correct?
How many of these guys are coming because of Riley. I believe it is more of the assistants recruiting these guys vs Riley. If we could somehow keep a few of these guys on staff. It might help save this class down the road.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
How many of these guys are coming because of Riley. I believe it is more of the assistants recruiting these guys vs Riley. If we could somehow keep a few of these guys on staff. It might help save this class down the road.
Bookie is clearly a Riley guy. Spielman, Gebbia, etc wouldn't be here without Riley and Gebbia would probably leave if we can him. IF Riley goes, I think most if not all of his staff goes. The only guy could see staying would be Parella if we hired Frost.

Bookie is clearly a Riley guy. Spielman, Gebbia, etc wouldn't be here without Riley and Gebbia would probably leave if we can him. IF Riley goes, I think most if not all of his staff goes. The only guy could see staying would be Parella if we hired Frost.
Do you see Frost bring all his current staff with? Or would he try for some bigger names.

You're probably right. You clearly understand the roster issues Pelini was having and would have had if he had been retained as the head coach. I mean, if there were only evidence of Pelini succeeding when he wasn't playing with the players he didn't have to recruit and then failing once he actually had to start using his recruits...
Yeah, he had a lot of losing seasons with his players.

Or not.

That's not for sure on Gebbia (regardless of what his Dad says). Please don't state that as fact.

This is the LAST place you should ever look for facts on NU football.

GBR

That's not for sure on Gebbia (regardless of what his Dad says). Please don't state that as fact.

This is the LAST place you should ever look for facts on NU football.

GBR
Gebbia came to NU because he wanted to play in a pro-style offense under Mike Riley and an NFL QB coach. The only way he would stay IMO would be if a new coach could convince him he would be running an offense that would get him ready for the NFL. Frost doesn't do that.

The program sucked when he took over, get a clue. Again, list all these Seniors on the squad this year. Pretty good indicator of how 408 left the program.

Example....YSU this year.

Yeah, he had a lot of losing seasons with his players.

Or not.
1) My point is that Pelini created a lot of roster issues that started to come to fruition once his players got into the system. He won 3 Big 12 North titles with Callahan's players. Riley inherited this dumpster fire of a roster and understood he had more time to turn things around.

2) Pelini was playing in a Big 10 that had two blue blood programs decimated by scandals and another who had Brady Hoke as their head coach. He did perform slightly above average against a completely different looking Big 10. He was mostly non-competitive vs the few stronger teams Big 10.

3) Look at Youngstown state now that his Nebraska transfers are gone. Really killing it over there.

He won a really soft Big 12 North his first three years, which is something Callahan did prior to his last season.

- Beginning in year 4, his first in the Big 10, Pelini had a pretty hard time competing (let alone winning) vs teams with a pulse. 8 of 9 wins were vs teams who finished unranked. Suffered two embarassing losses vs Wisconsin and Michigan; upset by Northwestern

- Year 5 - 9 of 10 wins were vs unranked teams. The ranked team they beat was Michigan at home, and I believe Shoelaces was injured in that game, basically meaning we only had to score a few points to win because their offense was crippled. We also suffered blowout losses to OSU and Wisconsin; upset by UCLA and Wisconsin

- Year 6 - 9 of 9 wins were vs unranked teams. Blowout losses vs UCLA and Iowa; upset by Minnesota and Iowa

- Year 7 - 9 of 9 wins were vs unranked teams. Blowout loss vs Wisconsin; upset by Minnesota

The program sucked when he took over, get a clue. Again, list all these Seniors on the squad this year. Pretty good indicator of how 408 left the program.

The program sucked when he took it over and Riley has managed to make it even more sucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT