ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Question

Firstly, you're providing zero evidence that SE is a bad AD. Financially the AD is in fantastic shape under his guidance and an independent report that was lobbied for by a group of people who want to fire him just came back extremely positive. So right now he is looking just fine. Secondly, it's completely ridiculous to state that Riley was a bad hire exclusively because of Banker. That's an extremely narrow-minded evaluation of a major change.

We have to see how DL recruiting looks in February; however, if you pay close attention to recruiting you'd see that the staff is absolutely making this a priority and working very hard to make it happen.

And duh on winning games. Nobody is suggesting otherwise.
It is my opinion on SE - of course there will be no report that states he sucks. What University would do that its only after change is made you hear how why he was so bad.

Was Callahan a bad hire because of Cosgrove - he recruited well - his offenses were actually doing fine?

I agree they have made it a priority and based on some of the recruiters on staff I am hopeful they can land some good players. Much of this will be up to JP I do not think Banker is a strong recruiter at least he has not been in the past

It is my opinion on SE - of course there will be no report that states he sucks. What University would do that its only after change is made you hear how why he was so bad.

Was Callahan a bad hire because of Cosgrove - he recruited well - his offenses were actually doing fine?

I agree they have made it a priority and based on some of the recruiters on staff I am hopeful they can land some good players. Much of this will be up to JP I do not think Banker is a strong recruiter at least he has not been in the past

1) Explain your opinion. Provide evidence.

2) Certain regents pushed for the report in an effort to get evidence that said he was not performing well so he could be terminated. Didn't happoen because SE is doing a good job.

3) Cosgrove clearly failed after multiple years as DC and Cally didn't make a change. When that happens with Banker/Riley please let me know.

4) It should be entirely obvious that position coaches are primarily responsible for recruiting their own guys, i.e., you shouldn't be worried about Banker's role in recruiting DL. It's almost entirely on JP.

2) Certain regents pushed for the report in an effort to get evidence that said he was not performing well so he could be terminated. Didn't happoen because SE is doing a good job.

3) Cosgrove clearly failed after multiple years as DC and Cally didn't make a change. When that happens with Banker/Riley please let me know.

4) It should be entirely obvious that position coaches are primarily responsible for recruiting their own guys, i.e., you shouldn't be worried about Banker's role in recruiting DL. It's almost entirely on JP.
1. SE - Here is man who was hired at top salary by Perlman - He certainly knew he had Perlmans blessing to fire Pelini and in fact I believe he was hired with this in mind. So he has a perfect opportunity with the whole tape rant thing and blows it ( yes I know Pelini had people in his corner) but mistake #1 one is that he did not step up and insist upon it at this time,instead it festered for another year before it happened. So here is a guy who knew he was going to replace the coach for at least a whole year and then when it happens he has no plan for another coach. So in a moment of insight he remembers a coach another school looked at years ago - this coach is in trouble at his current school because of poor play on the field, he calls a friend and does an internet search and now we have a new coach - I do not like how his decisions are made sorry
2. Again lets hope so
3. If you think Riley would fire Banker you are on drugs - these two guys are tied together that would not happen - no way never - they are going to succeed or fail together. I really have no desire to go through a similar fan experience as 2007 again do you?
4. You have a new DL coach who has not established contacts - Yes Banker should be recruiting especially since Hughes was his recommendation that did not work out

RR. Hughes had an extremely hard time relating to players. Kaz may of had a small part in that; however, the perception of Hughes would not have changed much if Kaz was absent from the picture. It was absolutely the right decision to move on from Hughes, and, so far JP looks like a solid edition to the staff.

Agreed. John is going to be gold for us this year. I just want to point out to everyone that some that say they're for Riley is just posturing. They are trying like hell to undercut him any chance they get. And they are using the assistant coaches as fodder. If it's not Hughes then it's Banker. If it's not Banker then it's Read. If it's not Read then it's Cavanaugh. And if it's not Cavanaugh then it's Langs. Till finally they have discredited enough people then it's Mike's turn. Their game is so obvious. I just don't want to Give them an inch to hurt the program anymore.

1. SE - Here is man who was hired at top salary by Perlman - He certainly knew he had Perlmans blessing to fire Pelini and in fact I believe he was hired with this in mind. So he has a perfect opportunity with the whole tape rant thing and blows it ( yes I know Pelini had people in his corner) but mistake #1 one is that he did not step up and insist upon it at this time,instead it festered for another year before it happened. So here is a guy who knew he was going to replace the coach for at least a whole year and then when it happens he has no plan for another coach. So in a moment of insight he remembers a coach another school looked at years ago - this coach is in trouble at his current school because of poor play on the field, he calls a friend and does an internet search and now we have a new coach - I do not like how his decisions are made sorry
2. Again lets hope so
3. If you think Riley would fire Banker you are on drugs - these two guys are tied together that would not happen - no way never - they are going to succeed or fail together. I really have no desire to go through a similar fan experience as 2007 again do you?
4. You have a new DL coach who has not established contacts - Yes Banker should be recruiting especially since Hughes was his recommendation that did not work out

1. This is a naive view of the political environment during that time period. But more importantly, you're commentary regarding the Riley hire has no facts to support it. You've no evidence that Riley wasn't on his list the entire time. A 'coach speak' introductory comment at a press conference is not representative of the hiring process used by SE.

2. We don't need to 'hope' when their is evidence to support the position.

3. Banker hasn't failed. Riley hasn't failed to fire a failing Banker. Post when that happens.

4. So you don't approve of the work JP is doing? Comment on it. Don't hide behind 'he doesn't have established contacts' when he's on the road putting in work right now. Are you even paying attention to it? How is he doing? And apparently you didn't read what I posted. The model being employed by our HC places position coaches at the lead of their respective recruiting targets. That's the mold. So you shouldn't be holding Banker accountable for recruiting the DL when the evidence clearly shows that position coaches recruit their positions.

2. Again lets hope so
On #3 I completely disagree. I think if it has to happen, he will axe him. He's a nice guy, but I don't think he's the pushover some want to believe.

Agreed. John is going to be gold for us this year. I just want to point out to everyone that some that say they're for Riley is just posturing. They are trying like hell to undercut him any chance they get. And they are using the assistant coaches as fodder. If it's not Hughes then it's Banker. If it's not Banker then it's Read. If it's not Read then it's Cavanaugh. And if it's not Cavanaugh then it's Langs. Till finally they have discredited enough people then it's Mike's turn. Their game is so obvious. I just don't want to Give them an inch to hurt the program anymore.

Lots of finger pointing...no doubt. I'm just noting that the details surrounding Hughes are pretty solid. The good news is that Riley took the first reasonable opportunity to let him go and replace him with someone that's doing a good job to date. That's called leadership.

Reactions: Soda Popinski
I guess the burning question is, how long do we wait before deeming this whole Mike Riley experiment a disaster? 2 camps... Those preaching patience until he gets his players in place, and those comparing Nebraska to Oregon State, saying if it didn't happen there it won't happen here. Why is it so hard to allow some time to the coaches, especially in light of the recruiting cycle that seems to be gaining steam as we upgrade talent? I know we are thin at DLine, and if we don't do anything to address it, knock yourself out with the Riley sucks chant. I know we need to win games... If we don't, knock yourself out with the Riley sucks chant. It's June. Wait till February, or even December, to moan and groan. At least then, you will have more ammo, or if there isn't any ammo, you won't look silly for moaning and groaning in June.

Agreed. John is going to be gold for us this year. I just want to point out to everyone that some that say they're for Riley is just posturing. They are trying like hell to undercut him any chance they get. And they are using the assistant coaches as fodder....I just don't want to Give them an inch to hurt the program anymore.

My opinion, we're all NU fans, we all want NU to win. Yes, there may be an occasional non-Husker fan who makes up a new user name, comes in to stir the pot. I suppose with an opinion like that, I might be labeled a pessimist.

It appears that only talking about the "good" is allowed when it comes to the coaching staff. Anything "bad" or remotely "bad", and the conversation is going to extremes. Want to throw a player under the bus, HELL YAAAA, take a number baby. I remember a number of people taking the All N pledge with this coaching staff. imho, It would've have been great if the All N pledge was to the University of Nebraska football program instead.

Edit: I'm All N to the University of Nebraska football program.

I guess the burning question is, how long do we wait before deeming this whole Mike Riley experiment a disaster? 2 camps... Those preaching patience until he gets his players in place, and those comparing Nebraska to Oregon State, saying if it didn't happen there it won't happen here. Why is it so hard to allow some time to the coaches, especially in light of the recruiting cycle that seems to be gaining steam as we upgrade talent? I know we are thin at DLine, and if we don't do anything to address it, knock yourself out with the Riley sucks chant. I know we need to win games... If we don't, knock yourself out with the Riley sucks chant. It's June. Wait till February, or even December, to moan and groan. At least then, you will have more ammo, or if there isn't any ammo, you won't look silly for moaning and groaning in June.
I am extremely happy this staff is doing a good job in recruiting. I did think Riley with his organizational skills would do better here than OSU - the addition of some good recruiting coaches is helping also.

So I am not trying to rain on a parade here but I do think its a little early to be posting things like " where are all the doubters now" especially since we are coming off a losing season, one in which coaching decisions contributed to losing some games. Then on top of that we are thin at on the defensive line. Riley has plenty of time to get his players here, but yes he needs to show big improvement this season due to the big egg that was laid last year

My opinion, we're all NU fans, we all want NU to win. Yes, there may be an occasional non-Husker fan who makes up a new user name, comes in to stir the pot. I suppose with an opinion like that, I might be labeled a pessimist.

It appears that only talking about the "good" is allowed when it comes to the coaching staff. Anything "bad" or remotely "bad", and the conversation is going to extremes. Want to throw a player under the bus, HELL YAAAA, take a number baby. I remember a number of people taking the All N pledge with this coaching staff. imho, It would've have been great if the All N pledge was to the University of Nebraska football program instead.

Edit: I'm All N to the University of Nebraska football program.
I have seen plenty of people agree that the play calling was not up to par, even among Riley's supporters. I have seen plenty of people say that Tommy isn't being used to his strengths, even among the biggest Riley supporters. Lot's of people were complaining about the defense last year, even among Riley's supporters.

People aren't saying you can't say anything bad about the coaching staff (not sure where you've been to suggest this). What people are saying is give it time. They have enough rope to either succeed or hang themselves with it. Let it play out before labelling this a failure.

I can agree with you on the players portion of your post. That has happened more than I would like it to.

I am extremely happy this staff is doing a good job in recruiting. I did think Riley with his organizational skills would do better here than OSU - the addition of some good recruiting coaches is helping also.

So I am not trying to rain on a parade here but I do think its a little early to be posting things like " where are all the doubters now" especially since we are coming off a losing season, one in which coaching decisions contributed to losing some games. Then on top of that we are thin at on the defensive line. Riley has plenty of time to get his players here, but yes he needs to show big improvement this season due to the big egg that was laid last year
I see where you are coming from. My understanding of the OP was all about recruiting, which is why the question was asked about the doubters, those saying he can't recruit. The OP wasn't for you, it was for people like WiscoHusker, Wasker77, and others who were convinced his recruiting wasn't going to improve.

People can still have doubts about the product on the field and if we will see improvement. As long as it's June, there will be concerns. To be honest, I have worries about what we will see this year as well. I am hopeful that we put a good product on the field, but worried as well. I have to see it to believe it. But I feel good about the direction we are currently pointed in.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
1. This is a naive view of the political environment during that time period. But more importantly, you're commentary regarding the Riley hire has no facts to support it. You've no evidence that Riley wasn't on his list the entire time. A 'coach speak' introductory comment at a press conference is not representative of the hiring process used by SE.

2. We don't need to 'hope' when their is evidence to support the position.

3. Banker hasn't failed. Riley hasn't failed to fire a failing Banker. Post when that happens.

4. So you don't approve of the work JP is doing? Comment on it. Don't hide behind 'he doesn't have established contacts' when he's on the road putting in work right now. Are you even paying attention to it? How is he doing? And apparently you didn't read what I posted. The model being employed by our HC places position coaches at the lead of their respective recruiting targets. That's the mold. So you shouldn't be holding Banker accountable for recruiting the DL when the evidence clearly shows that position coaches recruit their positions.
1. There is this of course: http://espn.go.com/college-football...earch-brought-mike-riley-nebraska-cornhuskers
After the meeting at the stadium, Eichorst turned his attention to the search.
"I wasn't looking at people at that point," Eichorst said. "I was just thinking about qualities in people."
By Monday morning, Dec. 1, Eichorst said he "was fixed" on Riley, whom Eichorst noticed in 2004 as an associate athletic director at South Carolina while the school searched to replace the retiring Lou Holtz. Steve Spurrier got the job, but Eichorst never forgot the Oregon State coach.
"Trusted sources" and electronic research helped confirm Eichorst's beliefs about Riley. Eichorst did not check with an intermediary. He did not ask permission of Riley's athletic director at Oregon State.

2. Then I hope the report was accurate
3. I do not need to wait until a bomb goes off to know that is bad either. Ask a OSU fan about their relationship and ask Riley about about the meeting with the OSU AD that led to him accepting the NU job
4. No I approve of JP yes recruiting his positions is how it is set up - simply stating a fact he has not been here all that long - there is reason recruiting takes about a year to gain traction - in this instance with the change being made then Banker needs to step up and yes that is his responsibility while JP gets his contacts developed

1. There is this of course: http://espn.go.com/college-football...earch-brought-mike-riley-nebraska-cornhuskers
After the meeting at the stadium, Eichorst turned his attention to the search.
"I wasn't looking at people at that point," Eichorst said. "I was just thinking about qualities in people."
By Monday morning, Dec. 1, Eichorst said he "was fixed" on Riley, whom Eichorst noticed in 2004 as an associate athletic director at South Carolina while the school searched to replace the retiring Lou Holtz. Steve Spurrier got the job, but Eichorst never forgot the Oregon State coach.
"Trusted sources" and electronic research helped confirm Eichorst's beliefs about Riley. Eichorst did not check with an intermediary. He did not ask permission of Riley's athletic director at Oregon State.

2. Then I hope the report was accurate
3. I do not need to wait until a bomb goes off to know that is bad either. Ask a OSU fan about their relationship and ask Riley about about the meeting with the OSU AD that led to him accepting the NU job
4. No I approve of JP yes recruiting his positions is how it is set up - simply stating a fact he has not been here all that long - there is reason recruiting takes about a year to gain traction - in this instance with the change being made then Banker needs to step up and yes that is his responsibility while JP gets his contacts developed

1. That's what I already referenced. It's 'coach speak' that was used to paint a pretty picture during the announcement of Riley's hire. SE hired him. No doubt. But you have no additional evidence to support comments you've made about the process, e.g., SE's negligence during the process. None.

3. One doesn't need to wait and see? That's so freaking stupid. The entire point of this thread was to point out that LOTS of Nebraska fans claimed, before the facts started to roll out, that Riley would not be able to recruit well at Nebraska. Here we are, not even two years in, and evidence is mounting that we his staff can absolutely recruit with the best in the country. Pulling studs out of CA, pissing off UCLA, getting under the skin of tOSU coaches, etc. He didn't do it at Oregon State so people claimed he couldn't here. You're doing the same damn thing with Banker. It's laughable - especially consider that is precisely what this thread is all about. Could Banker fail to get it done? Yes. Has he? No. Has Riley failed to remove a failing Banker? No.

4. No. You suggested he wasn't necessarily a good replacement because he lacked established contacts (which you provided no evidence for). Now you are changing your position. Now he is doing well but we have to wait and see. Which is terribly ironic given that you don't want to wait and see with Banker/Riley. Finally, nobody gives a shit if you personally believe Banker should be recruiting the DL while JP gets established. That's not how it's done with our current coaching staff, and I'd also add, DL targets are raving about JP so it appears that his salesmanship, love fort NE, and experience in the professional league is pretty damn appealing to recruits - and these are all angles Banker couldn't take even if he wished to be more involved with DL recruiting.

Reactions: red rover 70
It is possible ADSE did not think about a replacement for FHCBP until the day after Bo was fired. Stuff like that happens all the time that cause companies to go belly-up. However, I just can't believe someone as educated and experienced as Eichorst "crystalized" a thought one night he was going to fire the head football coach, and did so the next day without previously putting out any feelers, tribal body language, or whatever you call it that he had a guy lined up. Especially since he was WELL AWARE Pederson had done it and how that turned out.

Reactions: Yossarian23
I have seen plenty of people agree that the play calling was not up to par, even among Riley's supporters. I have seen plenty of people say that Tommy isn't being used to his strengths, even among the biggest Riley supporters. Lot's of people were complaining about the defense last year, even among Riley's supporters.

People aren't saying you can't say anything bad about the coaching staff (not sure where you've been to suggest this). What people are saying is give it time. They have enough rope to either succeed or hang themselves with it. Let it play out before labelling this a failure.

I can agree with you on the players portion of your post. That has happened more than I would like it to.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective. For discussion purposes:

Where I've been, on this message board per Riley supporters:
Playcalling = dictated by a lack of talent.
Tommy = a loose cannon, consciously or unconsciously going against the coaches wishes.
Defensive problems = lack of talent.

Back to the OP. Recruiting looks a lot better this year than it has for quite awhile. Not an ultimatum, but it has to convert into results, otherwise we continue to be irrelevant. If Keyshawn Johnson Sr is a firestarter, the fire needs to take off or we're back to 27th in team rankings in 2018. Where's the buzz, WR's/DB's/QB's. Other positions, not so much buzz. What's wrong with the lower rated players? Nothing is "wrong" with them, statistically lower rated players as whole don't produce as consistently as the higher rated players. I don't want to pin my hopes on diamonds in the rough and statistical anomalies.

On your point #4 if that is the case then that might worry me a bit (long term) if I were an NU fan. Even before you posted that the one red flag I've noticed in your recruiting is that the bulk of the elite level kids you've either landed or are in great shape with seem to be coming from a small geographic area (feel free to correct me on that as you guys know your recruiting better than I...I just know what you guys post here and who we are going up against you guys on). Pipelines can close faster than they are opened and if you don't have many open (or being worked on to be opened) then recruiting can turn south quite quickly.

I've seen different approaches to national recruiting but the ones who do it well tend to have coaches assigned to certain regions as a primary with the position coach tag teaming with that coach once real interest is established. This allows the program to establish long term relationships because no matter which position a new prospect a school has there is going to be a familiar face walking through that door during evaluation periods...this could be why you are having the success you are in Socal because many of the faces who could walk through that door I'm guessing are familiar faces.

I do see that you have gotten kids from other regions but besides the kid you got from Delaware (which is an outlier recruiting state) they seem like under the radar guys. In addition, I haven't heard your name much with kids from the North and Southeast and in the Midwest (i.e. Ohio, MI, Ill). I'm not suggesting the bulk of your classes should come from these 3 areas but having some presence (and landing supers here and there) is almost essential for national recruiting. Pipelines open and close so its almost like hedging and being in position to take advantage of opportunities that are often outside your control (like a local program going in the tank for a couple years) should be a part of your recruiting strategy. It's just hard to do that without having regional recruiters...imo at least.

Reactions: timnsun
On your point #4 if that is the case then that might worry me a bit (long term) if I were an NU fan. Even before you posted that the one red flag I've noticed in your recruiting is that the bulk of the elite level kids you've either landed or are in great shape with seem to be coming from a small geographic area (feel free to correct me on that as you guys know your recruiting better than I...I just know what you guys post here and who we are going up against you guys on). Pipelines can close faster than they are opened and if you don't have many open (or being worked on to be opened) then recruiting can turn south quite quickly.

I've seen different approaches to national recruiting but the ones who do it well tend to have coaches assigned to certain regions as a primary with the position coach tag teaming with that coach once real interest is established. This allows the program to establish long term relationships because no matter which position a new prospect a school has there is going to be a familiar face walking through that door during evaluation periods...this could be why you are having the success you are in Socal because many of the faces who could walk through that door I'm guessing are familiar faces.

I do see that you have gotten kids from other regions but besides the kid you got from Delaware (which is an outlier recruiting state) they seem like under the radar guys. In addition, I haven't heard your name much with kids from the North and Southeast and in the Midwest (i.e. Ohio, MI, Ill). I'm not suggesting the bulk of your classes should come from these 3 areas but having some presence (and landing supers here and there) is almost essential for national recruiting. Pipelines open and close so its almost like hedging and being in position to take advantage of opportunities that are often outside your control (like a local program going in the tank for a couple years) should be a part of your recruiting strategy. It's just hard to do that without having regional recruiters...imo at least.
Good post here. For some reason, I do think our coaches follow a regional recruiting process similar to what you described. I seem to recall coaches going to regions this past year, with position coaches stepping in on specific targets.

If someone else can shed light on the process, that would be great. This is just what I recall... Hope I'm recalling correctly.

Good post here. For some reason, I do think our coaches follow a regional recruiting process similar to what you described. I seem to recall coaches going to regions this past year, with position coaches stepping in on specific targets.

If someone else can shed light on the process, that would be great. This is just what I recall... Hope I'm recalling correctly.

We are absolutely using geographical considerations as well.

1. That's what I already referenced. It's 'coach speak' that was used to paint a pretty picture during the announcement of Riley's hire. SE hired him. No doubt. But you have no additional evidence to support comments you've made about the process, e.g., SE's negligence during the process. None.

3. One doesn't need to wait and see? That's so freaking stupid. The entire point of this thread was to point out that LOTS of Nebraska fans claimed, before the facts started to roll out, that Riley would not be able to recruit well at Nebraska. Here we are, not even two years in, and evidence is mounting that we his staff can absolutely recruit with the best in the country. Pulling studs out of CA, pissing off UCLA, getting under the skin of tOSU coaches, etc. He didn't do it at Oregon State so people claimed he couldn't here. You're doing the same damn thing with Banker. It's laughable - especially consider that is precisely what this thread is all about. Could Banker fail to get it done? Yes. Has he? No. Has Riley failed to remove a failing Banker? No.

4. No. You suggested he wasn't necessarily a good replacement because he lacked established contacts (which you provided no evidence for). Now you are changing your position. Now he is doing well but we have to wait and see. Which is terribly ironic given that you don't want to wait and see with Banker/Riley. Finally, nobody gives a shit if you personally believe Banker should be recruiting the DL while JP gets established. That's not how it's done with our current coaching staff, and I'd also add, DL targets are raving about JP so it appears that his salesmanship, love fort NE, and experience in the professional league is pretty damn appealing to recruits - and these are all angles Banker couldn't take even if he wished to be more involved with DL recruiting.
1. Heh??? SE stated these things to a reporter so he was just trying to throw the reporter off track and had been courting Riley for over a year ? not sure I understand what you are syaing here
3. Of course we are waiting to see how it all turns out - everyone on this board wants the team to win but are we not discussing our opinion? And to your original point I do not think many thought Riley would not recruit better although there some concern early on last year. As far a Banker yes it is my opinion he sucks I hope he proves me wrong bu t this guy has been around awhile and I just do nto magically see him transforming. initially I was hopeful he would do better as the Big10 is more run heavy than the Pac12 but after Purdue I was done with Banker
4. Not back tracking at all - recruiting takes some time to get going just like with the rest of this staff. They are doing better this year than last becuase they have time to build relationships JP deserves and will need the same. But that does not mean NU needs just go unfilled because Banker cant recruit

So not only are you condoning Kaz's actions but you're going to blame Hughes for it???

Again... Ho Lee fuk!

You do realize what Kaz did was highly unethical then he took it to a whole different level by corrupting and influencing another coach's players???

Wow, where do you come up with this stuff? When did I ever say I condoned Kaz's actions? Good heavens, man, get it together.

We are absolutely using geographical considerations as well.
Could you expand on "considerations?" What I was talking about is a little more than "consideration" but coaches being assigned to specific regions and leading the effort there. In the post of yours that I replied to you said position coaches are primarily responsible for recruiting kids at their positions. The two don't don't quite align.

What happened to all those posters that said Riley wouldn't be able to recruit? I mean, come on guys, look at his record at Oregon State. No way he will be successful recruiting here. LMAO. Our staff is dominating the recruiting trail and the best is yet to come.
Love this staff. Verdict is still out on Banker though . Mike Riley is an excellent addition to the big red family

I think you're pretty silly sometimes, and find it difficult to follow your logic. Remind me again why anyone would be posturing as it pertains to Riley? I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so after you tell me how 9/11 was an inside job, maybe you can share with me why you think people are posturing. What would any of us have to gain from doing so?

Call me crazy, but maybe it has something to do with going 6-7 last year and losing a few games we could have easily won. And maybe it has something to do with poor defensive numbers for the first 3/4 of the season. Those are tangible items...unlike your probable belief that Elvis lives and is a janitor in Montana.

I think people that don't have concerns about this year, after going 6-7, are the ones that are delusional. But just because we have concerns doesn't mean we dislike Riley or the program. I really really like Mike Riley and want him to succeed more than anything.

Last edited:

I like Banker's scheme. I like that he wants to stop the run first, which unlike our previous coach's scheme, makes much more sense in the B1G. I think he may have put too much pressure on our young DBs last year by not giving them the safety help they needed early in the year.

That being said, I did see our DBs come on strong the last 3 or 4 games, which gives me more confidence in our defensive staff coming into the 2016 season. It takes a good year for the personnel to feel comfortable in a new scheme, IMO, so we shouldn't have any excuses from game 1 not to be ready on both sides of the ball.

Well you seem to ask others for evidence, so I thought it was only fitting to ask you for yours.

So it seems this is all just your opinion. That's cool.

That's not correct. My inability to provide you a link does not mean this is simply my opinion.

Could you expand on "considerations?" What I was talking about is a little more than "consideration" but coaches being assigned to specific regions and leading the effort there. In the post of yours that I replied to you said position coaches are primarily responsible for recruiting kids at their positions. The two don't don't quite align.

I'm suggesting that it's a mix of both, i.e., a position coach generally recruits their position but can also get assigned to other players in isolation or via dual-coach recruiting if said coach has ties to regions.

1. Heh??? SE stated these things to a reporter so he was just trying to throw the reporter off track and had been courting Riley for over a year ? not sure I understand what you are syaing here
3. Of course we are waiting to see how it all turns out - everyone on this board wants the team to win but are we not discussing our opinion? And to your original point I do not think many thought Riley would not recruit better although there some concern early on last year. As far a Banker yes it is my opinion he sucks I hope he proves me wrong bu t this guy has been around awhile and I just do nto magically see him transforming. initially I was hopeful he would do better as the Big10 is more run heavy than the Pac12 but after Purdue I was done with Banker
4. Not back tracking at all - recruiting takes some time to get going just like with the rest of this staff. They are doing better this year than last becuase they have time to build relationships JP deserves and will need the same. But that does not mean NU needs just go unfilled because Banker cant recruit

1. I'm saying that the commentary was used to set up his introduction of Mike Riley as a person during the presser. You stated that SE had no plan when he fired Bo and hired Riley on a whim. That is false.

3. Ridiculous. Any concern (outside of Hughes) last year was laughable. Done after Purdue in a transition year? Yup. Ok. Got it.

4. Unfilled? I've no idea what you're talking about. That's not happening.

I like Banker's scheme. I like that he wants to stop the run first, which unlike our previous coach's scheme, makes much more sense in the B1G. I think he may have put too much pressure on our young DBs last year by not giving them the safety help they needed early in the year.

That being said, I did see our DBs come on strong the last 3 or 4 games, which gives me more confidence in our defensive staff coming into the 2016 season. It takes a good year for the personnel to feel comfortable in a new scheme, IMO, so we shouldn't have any excuses from game 1 not to be ready on both sides of the ball.

I absolutely agree that we should be ready to go from day one. My understanding is that we plan to run Tommy more this year since we feel more comfortable with our back-ups. If that is true, and we can establish him as a running threat (and he doesn't go YOLO a few times a game - please God don't go YOLO a few times a game), we could have a solid offense.

Lets tap our breaks right now on claiming this staff is "great recruiters". I love the direction they are going in but to call people out, is a little premature don't you think? Coach Williams has proven he can recruit at a high level. Has anyone else on this staff really proven that? Langsdorf has proven he can recruit land good QB's but I am giving KJJ the commit on Gebbia more than I would DL.

This staff has landed 1 4-star lineman (on either side of the ball) in 3 classes thus far (Barnett). (The other 2, were landed by the old staff but retained by the new staff). Coach Cav's recruiting has not been exceptional but it has been solid. Hell, at least he's landing kids. Parrella is giving it all he has and I trust it will come for him eventually. Bray is a very solid recruiter but we knew that. As for the other coaches, do they even recruit? Seriously? Recruiting is basically a 4 man job at Nebraska now of days, isn't it?

Lets tap our breaks right now on claiming this staff is "great recruiters". I love the direction they are going in but to call people out, is a little premature don't you think? Coach Williams has proven he can recruit at a high level. Has anyone else on this staff really proven that? Langsdorf has proven he can recruit land good QB's but I am giving KJJ the commit on Gebbia more than I would DL.

This staff has landed 1 4-star lineman (on either side of the ball) in 3 classes thus far (Barnett). (The other 2, were landed by the old staff but retained by the new staff). Coach Cav's recruiting has not been exceptional but it has been solid. Hell, at least he's landing kids. Parrella is giving it all he has and I trust it will come for him eventually. Bray is a very solid recruiter but we knew that. As for the other coaches, do they even recruit? Seriously? Recruiting is basically a 4 man job at Nebraska now of days, isn't it?

I think you need to go back and read exactly what I posted. I didn't say that each member of our staff was a 'great recruiter' nor did I imply that my commentary was explicit to coaches. In fact, I documented quite clear that I'mtalking about the entire infrastructure.

But...Williams and Bray are the aces. I agree Cav is solid. I agree that Parella will be solid. And yes the others do recruit. Obviously not to the level of the aces but they most certainly recruits. Frankly, that's the structure at most programs around the country. They have some guys that are doing heavy lifting, some doing lifting, and some doing light lifting. It's very common. And I find your commenty on Langs to be diengenuous. We identified, landed, and maintained POB last year despite him blowing up. One of the very best QBs out of CA. This year we did it again. Sure KJJ had something to do with that...but right now Langs is 2/2 and both prospects are very promising. I don't see how anyone can look at that and not be entirely satisified.

Reactions: Yossarian23

Our coaches are assigned regions and tag team with the position coach. These were their areas for this year:

Langsdorf - Colorado & Missouri + QB's
Cav & Read - 500 mile radius
Parella - Illinois, Ohio, NJ
Stewart - southeast
Williams - south Louisiana, north Cal + Los Angeles
Bray - north Louisiana and north Texas
Banker - south Cal and Arizona
Davis - south Texas

I think you need to go back and read exactly what I posted. I didn't say that each member of our staff was a 'great recruiter' nor did I imply that my commentary was explicit to coaches. In fact, I documented quite clear that I'mtalking about the entire infrastructure.

But...Williams and Bray are the aces. I agree Cav is solid. I agree that Parella will be solid. And yes the others do recruit. Obviously not to the level of the aces but they most certainly recruits. Frankly, that's the structure at most programs around the country. They have some guys that are doing heavy lifting, some doing lifting, and some doing light lifting. It's very common. And I find your commenty on Langs to be diengenuous. We identified, landed, and maintained POB last year despite him blowing up. One of the very best QBs out of CA. This year we did it again. Sure KJJ had something to do with that...but right now Langs is 2/2 and both prospects are very promising. I don't see how anyone can look at that and not be entirely satisified.

I stand by my statement about Gebbia. Sorry you took it to be diengenuous.I don't care how you interpret it and I wasn't trying to be insincere. I was calling a spade a spade. I stated above "Langs has proven he can recruit / land good QBs." I believe he had a ton of help this year and that KJJ worked really hard on getting his buddy here. No discredit to Langs and your right, no one can be dissatisfied with his recruiting of QBs.

And I agree with your statements "the structure at most programs around the country...They have some guys that are doing heavy lifting, some doing lifting, and some doing light lifting. It's very common". This is very common for the bad, the average, & the a little above average programs. So yes, one would say "most programs" but this isn't the formula for the Elite programs. I've said it before a million times and I'll say it again a million times, the problem with this board is easy. We all want different things.

Some of us put the bar low, some put the bar midrange, and some put the bar high. I am "putting the bar high" kind of guy. That's me. Especially for a rich program like ourselves. Doing the norm, doing the average wont cut it, to be elite. Beating out Boston College, West Virginia, Pitt and Cincy for guys is not where I want us to be. Sure those are solid schools. They've had solid years in the past. But IMO they aren't on the Huskers level. Some think that is NU's level, Nu's peers. We've played like them basically for the last 15 years or so, but I believe we can be back up to the top. Our only true barrier of entry is location but with direct affordable flights, that should change. Not to mention, Lincoln is hell of a much nicer town then Tuscaloosa, and have much nicer looking women then the country redneck girls that state puts out. I will bet dollars to donuts on that. Anyways, getting off point. Lets not call anyone out about the "amazing job" just yet. It's not final and its not amazing yet (good, very good, yes). Fingers crossed, I hope we get to amazing. Top 10 or bust IMO.

Reactions: ellobo
I stand by my statement about Gebbia. Sorry you took it to be diengenuous.I don't care how you interpret it and I wasn't trying to be insincere. I was calling a spade a spade. I stated above "Langs has proven he can recruit / land good QBs." I believe he had a ton of help this year and that KJJ worked really hard on getting his buddy here. No discredit to Langs and your right, no one can be dissatisfied with his recruiting of QBs.

And I agree with your statements "the structure at most programs around the country...They have some guys that are doing heavy lifting, some doing lifting, and some doing light lifting. It's very common". This is very common for the bad, the average, & the a little above average programs. So yes, one would say "most programs" but this isn't the formula for the Elite programs. I've said it before a million times and I'll say it again a million times, the problem with this board is easy. We all want different things.

Some of us put the bar low, some put the bar midrange, and some put the bar high. I am "putting the bar high" kind of guy. That's me. Especially for a rich program like ourselves. Doing the norm, doing the average wont cut it, to be elite. Beating out Boston College, West Virginia, Pitt and Cincy for guys is not where I want us to be. Sure those are solid schools. They've had solid years in the past. But IMO they aren't on the Huskers level. Some think that is NU's level, Nu's peers. We've played like them basically for the last 15 years or so, but I believe we can be back up to the top. Our only true barrier of entry is location but with direct affordable flights, that should change. Not to mention, Lincoln is hell of a much nicer town then Tuscaloosa, and have much nicer looking women then the country redneck girls that state puts out. I will bet dollars to donuts on that. Anyways, getting off point. Lets not call anyone out about the "amazing job" just yet. It's not final and its not amazing yet (good, very good, yes). Fingers crossed, I hope we get to amazing. Top 10 or bust IMO.

We are never going to routinely sign recruiting classes like some of the other bluebloods do. That's unrealistic. We haven't done that at any point in Nebraska football history. We need to be in the 10-15 range and develop players. That should be enough to reach the historical goals of the program. I absolutely believe we are on track to do that with our recruiting infrastructure. Obviously we have to wait and see, but as I previously stated, this thread was started to question fans that said Riley et al. couldn't rercuit. Thats fasle. And barring a complete meltdown this year, which I think is very unlikely, we are on track to sign an oustanding class. Fingers cross, indeed.

I'm suggesting that it's a mix of both, i.e., a position coach generally recruits their position but can also get assigned to other players in isolation or via dual-coach recruiting if said coach has ties to regions.
Maybe there is more to it than you are describing, but the picture you just painted makes it seem like a mess. In today's game, programs that recruit nationally (successfully) are extremely organized and put in structure and systems to allow them to maximize coverage and relationship within the limitations of the rules (well sometimes outside the limits as well but that is a different topic). Recruiting is more than just single self-contained cycles in which you are trying to land 25+/- kids a year - it is more of an ambassador program in which you are trying to develop long term relationships with high schools which might not have a prospect you are interested in each year.

Schools that do this successfully have a deep bullpen of support consisting of staffers the average fan has never heard of. They also do thing like employ a CRM (software) system and subscribe to "pro-grade" recruiting services (not talking Rivals, Scout, etc. but services/databases that compile info and charge way more for it than $10 a month). But at the end of the day the most important cog still is often the assistant coach who is able to go on the road and be the program's face.

What you described sounds more like it is ad hoc...almost hit and run...where you decide on a case by case basis of how you are going to recruit a kid. Sure, once an initial relationship with the recruit (not just the school) is established then it is smart to personalize it...including shifting the key contact to the guy's position coach. But what you described is not that (you made it seem like each position coach is out there all around the county looking just for kids at their position and calling in help when needed). The model I described is different (kind of the opposite). For example, Michigan just landed a DT and safety from Alabama. During interviews, post verbal, both credited our LB (their area recruiter and the first coach each mentioned) for getting them interested in the school and up for a visit...it was then that they started to build a relationship with their potential position coach, the DC and then HC. That example is not "each position coach being responsible for their position" but a team effort built on a structure that allows for more coverage. And what I described is not something that Harbaugh invented (by any means) but a pretty standard approach (to national recruiting) that has it's different variations (but still all similar) depending on school. Something in my gut tells me you guys do something similar and maybe what you described is an incomplete version of your practices?

Last edited:
Our coaches are assigned regions and tag team with the position coach. These were their areas for this year:

Langsdorf - Colorado & Missouri + QB's
Cav & Read - 500 mile radius
Parella - Illinois, Ohio, NJ
Stewart - southeast
Williams - south Louisiana, north Cal + Los Angeles
Bray - north Louisiana and north Texas
Banker - south Cal and Arizona
Davis - south Texas
And there you go...that makes sense to me

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT