ADVERTISEMENT

Question

WV Bruno

Dec 10, 2015
Those of you that followed the Huskers through the glory years did you ever think that the Husker football program would be going through the struggles that the program is currently experiencing?

Reactions: red scowl
nope. I thought we could go through some lean years of 7-8 wins but nothing like this. Good news is I believe in three years we will be back in the top 15 & competing for championships again.

Interesting question. I think the "good years" were such a long stretch from Bob to Tom that it was easy to think it would continue forever. Just a guess but no one probably gave it a thought as it became such common place to play for titles that everyone assumed it would continue forever. Human nature always fails to recognize the giftedness of certain people wishing to think it all "just happens" because of a system, state or upper leadership when in fact there are always a handful of highly motivated and extremely bright pioneers that rise above everyone and we had that.

Then the common thought is just insert so and so and try and run the same system and it will be fine, then well so and so is gone, so the system must be broken, now lets try.......

It happens in business, politics and all facets of life. Although most would say they didn't expect it, if they have some years under their belt, they should not be surprised it happened.

Last edited:
I always thought we would have been at least presentable. Some other poster said this downward slide started when TO got out. I pretty much agree. TO always put a pretty good team on the field, but when he left "the music died." I think we are on the right track now---3 years should see us "arrive",

Reactions: WV Bruno
The 4 loss season of 98 was a wake up call after essentially in the championship picture since 93. People weren't happy but gave Solich a Mulligan as a first year head coach.

Then came the 7-7 year of 2002. Seat was getting a little warm and I and most thought that was bottom. Couldn't get any worse, after all we were Nebraska.

More fumbling and bumbling brings us to 0-5. Unthinkable.

Those of you that followed the Huskers through the glory years did you ever think that the Husker football program would be going through the struggles that the program is currently experiencing?
Never, but I was a kid during the glory years and didn't understand the politics and other aspects of the game.

Every once dominant team goes through down periods. It is impossible to stay at the top forever. So I think we all knew we were going to have a down stretch. So the last 10-15 were frustrating, but not out of the normal.
The last 2 years have shocked me. I never thought we would see a Nebraska team that was at the bottom of college football world. Very few people alive have seen a Nebraska team this bad. This will be short lived and we will be back at the top again soon.

Last edited:
I think everyone knows you go through cycles and can't expect to be undefeated every year. I am fine with 5 national championships, even though we could/should have more. The unacceptable is no conference championships in almost 20 years. That's what tells me how uncompetitive we've been.

I thought billy c and bo had chances to be pretty good. I knew when we hired riley, he would turn us into a toilet. Solich always concerned me, just didnt seem like big time head coach material to me. Never thought we would be a sub 500 team though with any of these guys.

Remember sitting with a fellow Husker friend at a Rangers baseball game in ‘98 discussing how terrible the 4 loss season was. At the moment I felt that the ‘98 season was an aberration and never would have imagined that we’d be where we are today. We were the Alabama of today. I can’t envision BAMA falling off the cliff within the next 10 years. I guess we’ll just have to wait until Saban retires, just like the haters waited for Dr. Tom to hang it up.

yes right when PEDEDICK fired Solich and talked about mediocrity with his little smirky ass smile, I knew we were in trouble and then he hired Billy C and I could see we were in trouble, then Bo came in and won his usual games and got pissed off at the world and then the red head hired a coach who even though he is a nice guy didn't give a shit about the program and went 500 just like he has done his entire coaching career. now were in the middle of a swamp and trying to swim out, Frost will get it done but it's going to take a few years, Frost cares and he will go to great lengths to establish this program, MOOS and him were great hires. GBR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT