ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue

F5Tornado

Senior
Jul 19, 2018
Can Nebraska keep this game close? The Boilermakers are averaging 28ppg (but giving up 30ppg), coming off a huge win over Boston College, and their 3 losses were by a total of 8 points (two last second fg losses), having chances to win all of them.

Now they come in with some big momentum, could this be another rough afternoon for the Huskers, or a much needed win? Nebraska will need some help from Purdue to win this one as well as being much less charitable in the turnover and penalty department. Sadly, I don't know if that will really happen. I want the Huskers to pull this out, even if it's ugly as an iowa beauty contest, but I see Purdue winning 31-20. I hope I'm dead wrong.:(

Can Nebraska keep this game close? The Boilermakers are averaging 28ppg (but giving up 30ppg), coming off a huge win over Boston College, and their 3 losses were by a total of 8 points (two last second fg losses), having chances to win all of them.

Now they come in with some big momentum, could this be another rough afternoon for the Huskers, or a much needed win? Nebraska will need some help from Purdue to win this one as well as being much less charitable in the turnover and penalty department. Sadly, I don't know if that will really happen. I want the Huskers to pull this out, even if it's ugly as an iowa beauty contest, but I see Purdue winning 31-20. I hope I'm dead wrong.:(
Their losses have been close, but not against top competition. So at least there’s some hope knowing that. Which Purdue will we see? The one that lost at home to central Michigan (or western or whichever directional school it was) or the Purdue they beat BC?

That may be the difference...

Their losses have been close, but not against top competition. So at least there’s some hope knowing that. Which Purdue will we see? The one that lost at home to central Michigan (or western or whichever directional school it was) or the Purdue they beat BC?

That may be the difference...
Whichever one it is, I hope it's the one that loses to Nebraska!

Reactions: WHCSC and timnsun
Boston College should never have been ranked. They beat UMass and Holy Cross. Then, they beat Wake Forest by 7. Wake Forest has beaten Tulane by 6 and Towson. They got smoked by Notre Dame.

Purdue is not good. We aren't aren't either, obviously. But, this is a game that we need to win at home.

Boston College should never have been ranked. They beat UMass and Holy Cross. Then, they beat Wake Forest by 7. Wake Forest has beaten Tulane by 6 and Towson. They got smoked by Notre Dame.

Purdue is not good. We aren't aren't either, obviously. But, this is a game that we need to win at home.
Huskers win by 7. I don't bet Husker games but this is one I would if I did.

Purdue is a very good 1-3 but since it is at Nebraska, I will give you the edge here.

28-24

I wouldn't read to much into their Boston College win. They shouldn't have been ranked, they also play a ground and pound style of Offense which Purdue is better equipped to defend. If we can get our O at least half way clicking. I think we can give their D fits. The question then becomes, can our D stop them.
We can't let them get off to a fast start, if they take a lead quickly it seems to all come crashing down for us. If we can get off to a quick start, limit dumb mental errors and reduce penalties and turnovers. Saw a stat here somewhere that UCF was ranked in the 100s in penalties under Frost the last 2 years. So I think this might be as issue that we will just have to live with. I hope/think we will see similar fire and passion to what we saw during the CU game. CU is better than Purdue. I think we can pull it off at home. 28-21 NEB

Reactions: nu2u
I wouldn't read to much into their Boston College win. They shouldn't have been ranked, they also play a ground and pound style of Offense which Purdue is better equipped to defend. If we can get our O at least half way clicking. I think we can give their D fits. The question then becomes, can our D stop them.
We can't let them get off to a fast start, if they take a lead quickly it seems to all come crashing down for us. If we can get off to a quick start, limit dumb mental errors and reduce penalties and turnovers. Saw a stat here somewhere that UCF was ranked in the 100s in penalties under Frost the last 2 years. So I think this might be as issue that we will just have to live with. I hope/think we will see similar fire and passion to what we saw during the CU game. CU is better than Purdue. I think we can pull it off at home. 28-21 NEB

I thought the days of "I'll believe it when I see it" were behind me, but I was wrong. This team hasn't really given me much of a reason to think they will win this game. Yes, Purdue isn't a good team, but NU is a hot mess right now. We'll get back to good, but its going to be a while.

I thought the days of "I'll believe it when I see it" were behind me, but I was wrong. This team hasn't really given me much of a reason to think they will win this game. Yes, Purdue isn't a good team, but NU is a hot mess right now. We'll get back to good, but its going to be a while.
I agree nothing is off the table with this team. It would surprise me but wouldn't shock me if we lost to Bethune Cookman. This team has major issues going. I really thought Frost would be able to come in and get these kids heads right.

Reactions: SkerInCo
I agree nothing is off the table with this team. It would surprise me but wouldn't shock me if we lost to Bethune Cookman. This team has major issues going. I really thought Frost would be able to come in and get these kids heads right.
It's going to take a lot more time than I thought to flush the Diaco out of their brains than I thought that's for sure. After listening to Foreman's segment on the Zone that's obvious. If you're still confused on where to line up after spring and fall ball...time to play somebody else.

It's going to take a lot more time than I thought to flush the Diaco out of their brains than I thought that's for sure. After listening to Foreman's segment on the Zone that's obvious. If you're still confused on where to line up after spring and fall ball...time to play somebody else.
What was it with Diaco exactly, just his way of explaining and teaching? Was he mentally abusive? The guy seems a bit off from the little I have heard from him.

Although it pains me to say it, based on what I have seen so far from watching NU and 2 Purdue games I expect Purdue to win by around 17. Please, please guys, make me eat crow.
I think we are a better team than Purdue, NW, Minn, Illinois, Bethune Cookman. If we can just stop shooting ourselves in the foot over and over and over. This team has enough talent to beat these teams. I just keep hoping it clicks and we see what this team is capable of. I know Frost has said this team is more talented than what he had to start with at UCF. This team is also much more mentally damaged.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Perdue => translates to lost in French. I expect they'll be 'lost' trying to cover Husker receivers. Stop the run, blitz like crazy on passing downs, and good things will happen. Very close Husker win.

Can this team get over the hump mentally? If so...Nebraska wins going away...I honestly believe this team has more talent than Purdue. However, mentally this team is damaged. That being said, I would like to see more Deontai Williams and Aaron Williams together on the back end...give me Miles Jones over Lindsey. Give me guys who were winners in high school/JUCO last year on the field and see what happens. I believe we pull it all together this week and win 38-21.

Can this team get over the hump mentally? If so...Nebraska wins going away...I honestly believe this team has more talent than Purdue. However, mentally this team is damaged. That being said, I would like to see more Deontai Williams and Aaron Williams together on the back end...give me Miles Jones over Lindsey. Give me guys who were winners in high school/JUCO last year on the field and see what happens. I believe we pull it all together this week and win 38-21.
Yes I think the least amount of Riley guys playing as possible at this point, the better. They are damaged goods and I think just bring the rest of the team down. Frost probably knows it at this point as well, just don't have the depth to do much about it. I think we see another round of JUCO guys coming in this winter. He wan't to clear this toxicity and turn the roster over as quickly as possible.

I wouldn't read too much into any Nebraska fan's prediction. 99% of us were wrong after the first 3 games this season.

I don't have a clue which Nebraska team will show up on Saturday...and neither do all of you!! Winking
I watch old Columbo reruns, I know all the clues and what the results will be!:D

tumblr_inline_nk3tfz4vei1siyyqt.jpg

Reactions: TFrazier
I believe you nailed the match-up in your first paragraph. Husker O should be productive vs. Purdue D which has struggled against option teams and is still relatively inexperienced. The question then is whether Nebraska's D can limit Purdue's explosiveness and, specifically, Blough's passing attack - he's got a hot hand right now.

I wouldn't worry about a slow start or getting down early. Both teams are capable of scoring points rapidly. I see a high scoring game with both teams in the low to mid 30's well intp the 4th quarter and the contest decided by which team is able to come up with a big stop in crunch time.

Reactions: husker2612
I wouldn't read too much into any Nebraska fan's prediction. 99% of us were wrong after the first 3 games this season.

I don't have a clue which Nebraska team will show up on Saturday...and neither do all of you!! Winking
Of course nobody knows, Especially with this team. This board would shut down if it weren't for predictions, and speculation.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I believe you nailed the match-up in your first paragraph. Husker O should be productive vs. Purdue D which has struggled against option teams and is still relatively inexperienced. The question then is whether Nebraska's D can limit Purdue's explosiveness and, specifically, Blough's passing attack - he's got a hot hand right now.

I wouldn't worry about a slow start or getting down early. Both teams are capable of scoring points rapidly. I see a high scoring game with both teams in the low to mid 30's well intp the 4th quarter and the contest decided by which team is able to come up with a big stop in crunch time.
A close game is what we do not want with the Wisconsin game coming up the following week as we need all of the momentum we can possibly get. That is a game we need to save face in after getting blown out by Michigan.

Purdont lost a couple they should have won... same as Nebraska. Both teams have underachieved. Husker D better come to play or it could be a long afternoon.

Im not sure whats gonna happen in this game. What i am pretty sure of is every team we play will stack 7or 8 in the box to stop the run and make whoever we have playing qb beat them.. i hope thats the case this week cause i think we will click and hopefully things start to slow down for our qbs..
NU 31
PU 27

purdue averaging 28ppg and giving up 26 ppg

Purdue on paper looks like a tailor made opponent for SF. Very exploitable on defense and with a good but one-dimensional offense. I see a colorado type game in spirit but without as many mistakes resulting in a 31-21 type win.

we will get up 7 points and declare the game won, start dancing after every tackle. then the inevitable personal fouls, penalties, turnovers, missed blocks, and "special" teams play will happen...

or maybe not.... :confused:

What was it with Diaco exactly, just his way of explaining and teaching? Was he mentally abusive? The guy seems a bit off from the little I have heard from him.
He was unable to string together a logical statement. I think any success Diaco had previously was directly tied to his mentor Bob Elliot. I have no doubt that he's a smart guy but he had a deficiency in his ability to arrange his thoughts in a teachable manner without Elliot's help. Notre Dame recognized that and cut bait.

Last edited:
Purdont lost a couple they should have won... same as Nebraska. Both teams have underachieved. Husker D better come to play or it could be a long afternoon.
Michigan was a long afternoon. Purdue isn't even comparable to Michigan. I am not saying we win this game, but it is going to be close.

Reactions: Husker Hambone
I think NU is motivated after getting blown out. Purdue coming off a win over a top 25 team albeit an over ranked team may be feeling good about themselves. If NU cleans up turnovers and penalties I think NU wins by 14. If they trip over their own feet again ill say Purdue by 10

Man i just want to see our team put it all together. No turnovers.. limit mistakes (penalties)...This purdue team is decent.. they are fast and are improving..put bootle on moore and let mo barry loose!!!! i still think this game could help us get over the hump.. we can get some confidence with a winnable home game.. Lets get it done!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT