ADVERTISEMENT

Positive takeaways and obvious signs of progress

Larry Hagman's Liver

Defensive Coordinator
Nov 18, 2004
In Transit
Ugly win but eleventy billion times better than an ugly loss. We're also back to winning close ones. NU was 1-5 in games decided by a TD or less in 2018. So far in 2019 we're 2-1.

We have a defense that can hold their own in games where the talent disparity isn't cuckoo bananas. And that was with K.Davis out. Very nice bounce back effort from the Blackshirts. They weren't perfect but they made plays when needed, including an INT to set up the winning score.

No turnovers today by the offense. That was huge in a close game against a team that usually owns that category. We were +1 in the turnover battle and could easily have been +2 or +3 had NW not made two improbable fumble recoveries.

Kicking is still shaky but 2 out of 3 with a walk-off winner feels Henery-esque after the circus act we've seen to this point. We need a serviceable kicking game if we're truly going to contend in the West, especially with AM's status uncertain. Today was a big boost.

Speaking of AM, thankfully we have a QB "room" again and not just a QB. I can't remember the last time a backup QB came in and saved a game for NU. Vedral has clear command of the offense and is not afraid of the moment. Still very concerned about Martinez. We need him. But for the first time in a long time, the backup coming in and/or possibly starting doesn't leave me terrified. And that includes McCaffrey backing up Vedral if needed.

Last, and most obvious, we're 4-2. Not what we had hoped for, but we're learning how to overcome adversity and finish close games. It sounds cliche but night and day from a year ago. The arrow may not point in the trajectory some predicted, but it's still undeniably pointing upward.

GBR

Last edited:
Ugly win but eleventy billion times better than an ugly loss. We're also back to winning close ones. NU was 1-5 in games decided by a TD or less in 2018. So far in 2019 we're 2-1.

We have a defense that can hold their own in games where the talent disparity isn't cuckoo bananas. And that was with K.Davis out. Very nice bounce back effort from the Blackshirts. They weren't perfect but they made the plays when needed, including an INT to set up the winning score.

No turnovers today by the offense. That was huge in a close game against a team that usually owns that category. We were +1 in the turnover battle and could easily have been +2 or +3 had NW not made two improbable fumble recoveries.

Kicking is still shaky but 2 out of 3 with a walk-off winner feels Henery-esque after the circus act we've seen to this point. We need a serviceable kicking game if we're truly going to contend in the West, especially with AM's status uncertain. Today was a big boost.

Speaking of AM, thankfully we have a QB "room" again and not just a QB. I can't remember the last time a backup QB came in and saved a game for NU. Vedral has clear command of the offense and is not afraid of the moment. Still very concerned about Martinez. We need him. But for the first time in a long time, the backup coming in and/or possibly starting doesn't leave me terrified. And that includes McCaffrey backing up Vedral if needed.

Last, and most obvious, we're 4-2. Not what we had hoped for, but we're learning how to overcome adversity and finish close games. It sounds cliche but night and day from a year ago. The arrow may not point in the trajectory some predicted, but it's still undeniably pointing upward.

GBR

great to see someone post positive comments after a win. All great points!!

Equaled our win total from last year and didn't need another Bethune to do it :p We have a couple more winnable games. I'd like to get 7 wins and a bowl game.

Honestly I'm really happy for the team. I mean they won a game that came down to a clutch kick with what, the 4th string kicker coming into the season? Such a cool story for McCallum.

Sometimes a close, ugly win can do more for the confidence than a blowout win. Sure, it'd be easier on the heart but the team winning that one has to be a confidence booster.

I’m just glad that a team with more problems than a psychologists waiting room has managed to match their win total in each of the last 2 seasons after game 6. I feared we’d be 3-3 at this point.

No doubt. We could easily be 3-3. But 5-1 was obviously our ceiling with tOSU looking like a semi-pro squad. As much as I wish we were 5-1 or even undefeated, 4-2 is probably where we deserve to be given our sloppy play.

Great post and perspective OP. Frost is rebuilding the entire program from the ground up. This year and perhaps for the next couple of years a win is a win is a win. Ugly or otherwise, just win and long term the chips will fall into place. Feels good to be 4-2 and in good position to make a bowl (desperately need the extra practice after missing the last two years) and maybe get to 8 wins.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Hey, we've now thoroughly established that we are the best team in all of Illinois. Keep on the sunny side of life :)

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Tell ya what...the extra practices that come with making a bowl are huge. Used to be an afterthought to me...

Forgot to mention that, but today's win was huge for bowl eligibility purposes. Without it, our margin for error would have been very thin.
  1. We should have all been paying attention when multiple former players close to the program said this past summer that making a bowl game should be considered a successful season for this team. There's still room for more than 6 wins BUT realistically I think we know now what we have. We're a ways off yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT