ADVERTISEMENT

Why I’m off the Mickey train

huskerfan1414

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 25, 2014
Unless there is an injury Im not aware of….

It isnt because we lost, I though we’d lose. It is because we kept playing purdy even though he is HORRIBLE. He is so bad. When he couldnt even throw a five yard dump pass correctly it was obvious smothers should have been playing. They even tried qb runs with purdy and Im thinking….why? Just put smothers in and wildcat that stuff.

This means 1 of 3 things.

1) Mickey couldnt see it.
2) Mickey doesnt want the decision regarding qb
3) Micky doesnt want to be the boss of whip

Any of the above three are inexcusible for a HEAD COACH. You are the head coach, act like it. Sometimes that means telling your coordinators to put a different qb in and try something else when its obviously failing. If you are too scared to do that, or that far removed from xs and os, you aint ready for the job.

I still like Mickey a lot as a person and as a coach in general, but its time to move a different direction with some experience. Yes he should get some credit for the wins, but that might be more reflective of just how bad frost was.

Could I get back on? Maybe, but probably not.

(Id still take him over bill obrien tho)

Good! Just don't jump back on when he gets the job!!
lol he isn't getting the job. Why do you want him to get it? Have you ever hired someone for a job before? Do you go with the most qualified candidate or do you go with the least qualified? If you go with the least qualified, I understand why you want Joseph.

I was never on the Mickey train to begin with. He's a good guy and is doing his best given the situation. However, he lacks the experience necessary to be a coach at a major program like Nebraska.

It isnt because we lost, I though we’d lose. It is because we kept playing purdy even though he is HORRIBLE. He is so bad. When he couldnt even throw a five yard dump pass correctly it was obvious smothers should have been playing. They even tried qb runs with purdy and Im thinking….why? Just put smothers in and wildcat that stuff.

Any of the above three are inexcusible for a HEAD COACH. You are the head coach, act like it. Sometimes that means telling your coordinators to put a different qb in and try something else when its obviously failing. If you are too scared to do that, or that far removed from xs and os, you aint ready for the job.

I still like Mickey a lot as a person and as a coach in general, but its time to move a different direction with some experience. Yes he should get some credit for the wins, but that might be more reflective of just how bad frost was.

Urban Meyer would be .500.
Whatever

How is it our #2 and #3 QB's can literally not

Solid take. The last time I saw a QB performance like what we had in the second half yesterday, the name on the back on the jersey was 'Bauserman'. Made it easy for Illinois to key on Grant and take him out of the game.

I can't imagine what was going on that kept him out there. Smothers was on the bench. As were Haarberg and Masker. If all three of those guys are worse than what went on in the second half yesterday........ There are a couple scholarships there that should probably be freed up real soon.

One good hire and an off-season can start the turnaround. Mickey has a tough task and maybe he’s the guy. But for them to gameplan against IL and not have a plan if CT goes down, pretty unprepared.
Good coaches get players to buy in. Players that are bought in play hard.
Give me a break on the talent. A good coach can make things work. I’ve been jealously watching a bunch of other teams get 💯 out of their players and seeing good results, like IL

I wanted MJ replace the prick (Whip's words not mine) during the bye and was attacked for it... Whip is an older SF with an ego that can't cash his checks. I am not sure the prick is capable of putting together a game plan that reduces the weaknesses and will attempt to counter an attacking defense. Want to beat the offense do exactly what ILL did, crash the ends and cover #3. Whip always runs between the tackles and does nothing to get rid of the ball early. Long live SF, his ineptitude lives in the prick.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Long live SF, his ineptitude lives in the prick.
At the risk of defending SF (which I'm not doing), Whipple was Trev Alberts' hire. Not SF's.

It's weird we would go into a game or a season with only 1 QB on the roster that can complete a forward pass.

I would think that would be pretty concerning to any OC.

I agree with your analysis, but I will give MJ a pass because he is an interim coach who probably deferred to Whipple because of his experience. If he was the permanent HC who chose his own OC he would be more assertive and have the last word.
I think Smothers should have played. He can make all the throws CT made during the Illinois game and is a genuine dual threat with his speed. He also is a gamer as evidenced by his performance vs Iowa last year.

Urban Meyer would be .500.
Maybe this year if he took over when Mickey did. If Urban took over last December he would have this team playing much better.

His first year records before: 2001 - 8-3 at Bowling Green after they were 2-9 the year before.
First year at Utah: 2003 - 10-2 after they were 5-6 the year before
First year at Florida: 2005 - 9-3 after they were 7-5 the year before
First year at Ohio State: 2012 - 12-0 after being 6-7 the year before.

Hell, even at Jacksonville where he obviously failed, he did double their win total from the year before when they went 1-15.

Urban could absolutely do better. The Joseph fanboys are absurd.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I agree with your analysis, but I will give MJ a pass because he is an interim coach who probably deferred to Whipple because of his experience. If he was the permanent HC who chose his own OC he would be more assertive and have the last word.
I think Smothers should have played. He can make all the throws CT made during the Illinois game and is a genuine dual threat with his speed. He also is a gamer as evidenced by his performance vs Iowa last year.
You don't get passes as HC.

Never should have been a train. He's doing his best but was always a long shot at best. I'd love for him to be on the future staff as the WR coach.
I don't see Mickey staying to be a WR coach. He's had a taste now and if he likes it, he's not going to settle for WR coach. I could easily be wrong, but don't see it.

Maybe Smothers doesn't practice as well? Coaches normally have a better idea of who's the better QB than some guy sitting on the couch at home banging away at a keyboard!
Smothers was recruited to run a different offense than Whip is running IF Frost were calling plays for Smothers or Purdy there would be a lot more true option/RPO plays being called. Like it or not, Frost could manufacture offense with guys like Smothers just as he did last year with Smothers.

I understand why people are jumping off the Mickey train.

At the same time, if we are to hire Mickey, it will have to be all about Mickey’s vision for the future and NOT about wins and losses in this interim period. Reality is Mickey is not at fault for the worst O Line I have ever seen at Nebraska, he’s not at fault that we don’t have a competent backup QB, and the combination of those two things is why we lost yesterday. With a line that is even half ass, we could have competed yesterday. And good lord, Purdy is awful. I like Smothers but he can’t run Whips offense. Period, end of story. Haaberg has never taken a meaningful snap and some fans thought he would come against a ranked opponent with a very good defense and do alright? Lol

For Mickey to be HC, I think Trev would need to be shown that Mickey has elite hires planned especially OC, DC, Strength and Conditioning. I’m not sure Mickey has those guys lined up, it’s not likely but you never know.

I guess my point is, these games and the outcomes are largely pre-determined by the awful state that Frost left the team in. Some people will say well Frost never lost a game last year by more than 9. We also lost our 2nd round nfl draft pick Center, our best Guard, an NFL tight end and a whole host of super seniors on the defense from last year to this year.

I would be ok if we gave Mickey a shot but only if he has elite coaching talent ready to sign contracts should Mickey become the HC.

Reactions: Husker-In-Dixie
ADVERTISEMENT