ADVERTISEMENT

Portal news thread

Last year Ryan Day said it would cost $13M just for OSU to keep their roster in tact.

And what's your point? Their roster probably is worth that much and they've also been going after Manning last I heard. We don't need to be the Yankees. We should be playing moneyball like Billy Beane with the Oakland A's. That means no paying HS recruits. You only pay guys who have already proven themselves at the collegiate level. And the good thing is these guys are all way undervalued right now.

Reactions: arf_man
If they’re proven players, how do you know they are way undervalued now? How can one know this? It seems to me, if we’re just throwing crap at the wall, that if they’re proven players they’re wanted by more teams and their price tag would be driven up, making them overvalued. Unless I’m missing something in your post…

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
If they’re proven players, how do you know they are way undervalued now? How can one know this? It seems to me, if we’re just throwing crap at the wall, that if they’re proven players they’re wanted by more teams and their price tag would be driven up, making them overvalued. Unless I’m missing something in your post…
This is exactly what I was talking about that I don't want you interacting with my content. I make an insightful and original point and you immediately come in and trash it like a complete douchebag. Go **** yourself.

This is exactly what I was talking about that I don't want you interacting with my content. I make an insightful and original point and you immediately come in and trash it like a complete douchebag. Go **** yourself.
I didn’t respond to you, so that you wouldn’t feel compelled to read my post, but you can’t help yourself. Honestly, I don’t get your post. That’s why I sought clarification. I wasn’t a douche, but you certainly have outed yourself nicely.

What was your original point? Seriously, it made no sense. Players who are established at the college level will be cheap? How do you figure? If you can’t respond intelligently, you resort to this name calling? Please explain your insightful and original point for dummies like me. Because it made no sense.

BTW, I’m not trying to start a pissing match. Just help me understand how guys like McCord and Fleming, not to mention guys like Umanmielen, should we get them, will be way undervalued?

Reactions: ATX Husker
I didn’t respond to you, so that you wouldn’t feel compelled to read my post, but you can’t help yourself. Honestly, I don’t get your post. That’s why I sought clarification. I wasn’t a douche, but you certainly have outed yourself nicely.

What was your original point? Seriously, it made no sense. Players who are established at the college level will be cheap? How do you figure? If you can’t respond intelligently, you resort to this name calling? Please explain your insightful and original point for dummies like me. Because it made no sense.
You accused me of throwing crap at the wall about what their value is. I didn't and wouldn't throw crap at the wall about that. My career is in finance and I have contributed original research in economics. I understand the concept of value better than anyone else on here, I have literally written research papers about it.

Since you didn't understand my post and you didn't respond with any sort of respect, I'm not going to be nice with you. You are a complete douchebag and have been doing this sort of thing for as long as I have been on here, launching little insults at me when I offer an original insight. I notice it every time you do it. Here's a hint. If you don't understand something, maybe you should seek to clarify with the person instead of launching taunts and insults at somebody. I say you're a douchebag and I say you're a snake because that's exactly what you are, this is the exact prototypical behavior of both of those things.

Regarding the post, if you would have seeked to clarify, I would have clarified that when I said guys are undervalued in the portal, it means NIL values are extremely low this year and will only be trending up in future years. If you're not being an idiot or a jackass, it's really not a hard concept to understand.

And what's your point? Their roster probably is worth that much and they've also been going after Manning last I heard. We don't need to be the Yankees. We should be playing moneyball like Billy Beane with the Oakland A's. That means no paying HS recruits. You only pay guys who have already proven themselves at the collegiate level. And the good thing is these guys are all way undervalued right now.

What’s my point? You claimed you could buy a playoff team for $6-7M. Ohio State is an annual playoff contender and they spend twice that on just keeping their roster together. So I don’t buy that you can just go buy a playoff team for what a little birdie told you.

You accused me of throwing crap at the wall about what their value is. I didn't and wouldn't throw crap at the wall about that. My career is in finance and I have contributed original research in economics. I understand the concept of value better than anyone else on here, I have literally written research papers about it.

Since you didn't understand my post and you didn't respond with any sort of respect, I'm not going to be nice with you. You are a complete douchebag and have been doing this sort of thing for as long as I have been on here, launching little insults at me when I offer an original insight. I notice it every time you do it. Here's a hint. If you don't understand something, maybe you should seek to clarify with the person instead of launching taunts and insults at somebody. I say you're a douchebag and I say you're a snake because that's exactly what you are, this is the exact prototypical behavior of both of those things.

Regarding the post, if you would have seeked to clarify, I would have clarified that when I said guys are undervalued in the portal, it means NIL values are extremely low this year and will only be trending up in future years. If you're not being an idiot or a jackass, it's really not a hard concept to understand.
And since you have me on ignore, and I didn’t respond to you, you didn’t even need to look at my post. That’s how ignore works.

When you don’t make what you are saying clear, it’s going to interpreted by the person reading your post. How was I supposed to know you are a financial wizard who has written research papers? Sorry if that offends you, but so much of what you post is filled with stuff YOU know, but don’t disclose. Therefore, people (not just me) question your posts often.

You’re last paragraph makes much more sense, and so I thank you for clarifying.

And since you have me on ignore, and I didn’t respond to you, you didn’t even need to look at my post. That’s how ignore works.

When you don’t make what you are saying clear, it’s going to interpreted by the person reading your post. How was I supposed to know you are a financial wizard who has written research papers? Sorry if that offends you, but so much of what you post is filled with stuff YOU know, but don’t disclose. Therefore, people (not just me) question your posts often.

You’re last paragraph makes much more sense, and so I thank you for clarifying.
If you had asked without insulting or mocking me, I'd be happy to qualify or clarify any of my posts for you. And the same goes for any poster. Unfortunately the tendency is to launch insults first and ask questions later, and that type of behavior has chased good posters away.

I don't really care about ignore, I don't have anyone else on ignore, I took it off because it was more annoying having it than not. I just want the behavior where you mock or insult my posts because you don't understand something, without even attempting to clarify with me first, to stop. That's especially the case when you seek out my posts whenever I try to share an original insight, even when you don't understand it. I don't seek out any of your posts unless it's an obvious response or reference to mine.

If that stops, I'll stop calling you names, is that a deal? If you want to ignore or not, I don't care, but I want these types of interactions to stop.

If you had asked without insulting or mocking me, I'd be happy to qualify or clarify any of my posts for you. And the same goes for any poster. Unfortunately the tendency is to launch insults first and ask questions later, and that type of behavior has chased good posters away.

I don't really care about ignore, I don't have anyone else on ignore, I took it off because it was more annoying having it than not. I just want the behavior where you mock or insult my posts because you don't understand something, without even attempting to clarify with me first, to stop. That's especially the case when you seek out my posts whenever I try to share an original insight, even when you don't understand it. I don't seek out any of your posts unless it's an obvious response or reference to mine.

If that stops, I'll stop calling you names, is that a deal? If you want to ignore or not, I don't care, but I want these types of interactions to stop.
Fair enough. I get snarky too much anyway. Let’s bury the hatchet and move forward. I can’t promise I won’t be snarky again, but I will try to do my best when we interact. Life’s too short to have enemies when we both want the same thing in the long run.

What’s my point? You claimed you could buy a playoff team for $6-7M. Ohio State is an annual playoff contender and they spend twice that on just keeping their roster together. So I don’t buy that you can just go buy a playoff team for what a little birdie told you.
Like I said, the best analogy would be Billy Beane with the A's. We don't need to be the Yankees (teams like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State) and get into bidding wars over 5 star HS recruits. Right now, proven transfer portal guys are heavily undervalued. And I propose we play moneyball and make top transfer portal guys a top priority in our recruiting efforts. Pull it off intelligently, and yes, the results very well could be competing on the same level as other playoff teams.

Reactions: Frozone
Like I said, the best analogy would be Billy Beane with the A's. We don't need to be the Yankees (teams like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State) and get into bidding wars over 5 star HS recruits. Right now, proven transfer portal guys are heavily undervalued. And I propose we play moneyball and make top transfer portal guys a top priority in our recruiting efforts. Pull it off intelligently, and yes, the results very well could be competing on the same level as other playoff teams.

I believe the opposite is true. Teams are now putting their NIL dollars into proven portal guys and HS players now command much less NIL.

I believe the opposite is true. Teams are now putting their NIL dollars into proven portal guys and HS players now command much less NIL.
We'll probably get to that point eventually, but right now it's the portal guys, at least the top ones, that are heavily undervalued.

I usually don't share inside information, but if that $6-8 million figure is accurate, we can do a lot with that. That's not just a qb, but most of the team that could be getting well compensated.

We'll probably get to that point eventually, but right now it's the portal guys, at least the top ones, that are heavily undervalued.

I usually don't share inside information, but if that $6-8 million figure is accurate, we can do a lot with that. That's not just a qb, but most of the team that could be getting well compensated.

Reactions: dinglefritz
This is the way it should be. Just like the NFL, the rookie (HS player) might be able to get a decent contract but it's that second contract (NIL) that he's really playing for.
This is nothing like the nfl. The nfl has a salary cap. The nfl has contracts and predictable roster management. The nfl has strict rules on what rookies can be paid. The nfl has strict rules against tampering. The NIL world is a free for all and ruining the sport.

You could do that now IF you could get the schools to agree to the rules and enforcement means. The NCAA has really dropped the ball on this. They took one court ruling and just washed their hands of regulation of the situation. The have nots far outnumber the power programs and they need to get the NCAA to rein this in.

This is nothing like the nfl. The nfl has a salary cap. The nfl has contracts and predictable roster management. The nfl has strict rules on what rookies can be paid. The nfl has strict rules against tampering. The NIL world is a free for all and ruining the sport.
NIL and LIV golf, two things I despise and are ruining two awesome sports

Reactions: dinglefritz
You could do that now IF you could get the schools to agree to the rules and enforcement means. The NCAA has really dropped the ball on this. They took one court ruling and just washed their hands of regulation of the situation. The have nots far outnumber the power programs and they need to get the NCAA to rein this in.
Or we just need to stop being giant pussies and become a power program again.

that one court ruling stated they had zero power over individual states to regulate anything regarding labor.

small detail.

NCAA very lucky to be still cashing any checks whatsoever. they know it, too.

Fair enough. I get snarky too much anyway. Let’s bury the hatchet and move forward. I can’t promise I won’t be snarky again, but I will try to do my best when we interact. Life’s too short to have enemies when we both want the same thing in the long run.
peak irony

Peak trolling
You have a sliding scale for how you decide to treat anonymous people

I get it

You’re in the vast majority, especially when you add in the holier than thou stuff as the cherry on top

You have a sliding scale for how you decide to treat anonymous people

I get it

You’re in the vast majority, especially when you add in the holier than thou stuff as the cherry on top
this is classic for you, trying to stir something up between us even though I’ve pretty much ignored you and, before tonight, haven’t responded to you in at least a month. You just can’t help yourself.

The proof is in the pudding. You are trolling at an expert level because you love to argue. It somehow validates you or something. I don’t know why.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT