ADVERTISEMENT

Over 500 in the portal already

Gotta be NIL money more than anything else, right? Most of these kids know they are not going pro, so they are tryna get that bag while they can. And I can’t blame em. I have no idea what our avg NIL spend is, but it has to be more than a management trainee gig at HyVee after graduating.
yeah, I reckon your right...
one time I went to home depo garden department, and the cashier looked familar....it was keith jones....his boss was complaining bout something, and I said thats the fastest husker ever. keith said that info I said was pretty good. and his boss said he's not that fast around here...

and jones played for dallas I think, so he made money in the pro's but still had to get a job later.
so I can't blame players for trying make money when they can.

it was kinda funny I went to jr. high with endzones jones brother lee jones, and he asked me if NU would beat oklahoma in 78...I said the Huskers would and he looked at me like I was crazy...lol...I got lucky on that one, I did'nt realise the lenght of oklahomas streak over us then...he went on to be a dlinemen at NU

Hopefully this staff will be much more selective. Outside of the QB and pass rusher who both got (I think) north of $500 k to come here, I can't think of any position players who came here and started right away. The previous staff was so foolish in how they handled the portal. It's gotta get better than that. If a kid needs an upcoming surgery or can't beat out a walk-on, do not give them a scholarship!
Mathis got 10K for 12 months

Gotta be NIL money more than anything else, right? Most of these kids know they are not going pro, so they are tryna get that bag while they can. And I can’t blame em. I have no idea what our avg NIL spend is, but it has to be more than a management trainee gig at HyVee after graduating.
The number of starters transferring is amazing. Starting QBs no less. Has to be NIL money driving it.

Ole Miss and Clemson surprises me that they have that many entering the portal.
You get to be rre-recruited again, I bet that is very appealing to many.

I guess think about it like a job hunt, only they are coming after you and wining and dining you.

Reactions: BleedRed78
yeah, I reckon your right...
one time I went to home depo garden department, and the cashier looked familar....it was keith jones....his boss was complaining bout something, and I said thats the fastest husker ever. keith said that info I said was pretty good. and his boss said he's not that fast around here...

and jones played for dallas I think, so he made money in the pro's but still had to get a job later.
so I can't blame players for trying make money when they can.

it was kinda funny I went to jr. high with endzones jones brother lee jones, and he asked me if NU would beat oklahoma in 78...I said the Huskers would and he looked at me like I was crazy...lol...I got lucky on that one, I did'nt realise the lenght of oklahomas streak over us then...he went on to be a dlinemen at NU
I think I saw Keith back in the 2000's managing the Valentinos at 102 and Maple.

semiproven or proven d1 players vs unproven hs players
is a good d1 player better than 4 star hs player? 5 star?
i kinda like knowing more about what you are getting even if it's for fewer years.

The amount of players entering the portal prior to their team's bowl game really tells us a lot about the bowl system.
It would be tough when you can leave to want to stay, grind for a month, to play in a game in front of like 15,000 people.

How many will go back to the school they divorced with their tail tucked between their legs and beg for their old spot back? ....and how many will be told "No". The only way this settles down a little is if hundreds of kids end up totally screwed and find themselves without a degree, or team. I hate the portal, demeans a free education, instills a lot of inflated sense of self worth...but if any 5 star OL or DL wanna come here tbat's cool to.

The only problem with wanting to be re-recruited is that it is like turning down dates to Prom and then realizing that no one really is all that excited to take you. If you are riding the bench at a B1G school and now are going to get a fresh look from new position coach, that is likely a better situation than testing the waters at a new school. Ochaun Mathis and Casey Thompson got recruited because they were starters at comparable (lets be honest for 2021/2022 arguably better) schools/teams.

Man, theres going to be a lot of teams struggling to field a team for all these bowl games soon, and there’s going to be some insanely ugly football being played in these bowl games. I love betting during bowl season and just realizing how hard it’s going to be to figure out what kind of team you’re actually throwing money on.

Man, theres going to be a lot of teams struggling to field a team for all these bowl games soon, and there’s going to be some insanely ugly football being played in these bowl games. I love betting during bowl season and just realizing how hard it’s going to be to figure out what kind of team you’re actually throwing money on.
Kind of like a P5 team having to start a WR at QB in a bowl game. Insane

Over a thousand in the portal, an expert on ESPN B12 radio said this morning that 70% of them would not find a new home. That's bad odds for giving up your scholarship, son. But the portal is bringing parity to the game, no question about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerHusaria
Over a thousand in the portal, an expert on ESPN B12 radio said this morning that 70% of them would not find a new home. That's bad odds for giving up your scholarship, son. But the portal is bringing parity to the game, no question about that.
Some of them are 4 year guys and even more didn’t have their scholarship renewed. I could be wrong but I believe a fair number of portal entries are walk ons looking for a scholarship at a lower tier program.

Some of them are 4 year guys and even more didn’t have their scholarship renewed. I could be wrong but I believe a fair number of portal entries are walk ons looking for a scholarship at a lower tier program.
Yes, this is true. There are a lot of these guys who are not on scholarship presently.

The portal and expanded playoffs are the only things that will make teams in the North competitive with the South. It is the new reality.

The only thing I don't like, and it has nothing to do with the portal really, is that players can sit out bowl games. Yah, I get prepping for the next level, but I like to see better incentives/reasons for players to play them out. Maybe give players a cut of the bowl money.

ADVERTISEMENT