ADVERTISEMENT

Our Roster

We have 150 kids on the team. 110 are freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores they said on the radio after the game. That means we have babies playing against men. Mickey is doing one hell of a job no matter what anyone says.
Defense has largely done enough to get us some wins. It's the offense that isn't helping out. Not a lot of youngsters playing on O, trey, vokolek, casey, grant, benhart, piper, bando, lots and lots of game experience. we should expect more out of our offensive line. If we need to point fingers to which unit is letting us down the most, it is the offensive line. It's embarrassing and they are not babies

We have 150 kids on the team. 110 are freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores they said on the radio after the game. That means we have babies playing against men. Mickey is doing one hell of a job no matter what anyone says.
That's far too many. It should be closer to 120. How many of those are walk ons?

Defense has largely done enough to get us some wins. It's the offense that isn't helping out. Not a lot of youngsters playing on O, trey, vokolek, casey, grant, benhart, piper, bando, lots and lots of game experience. we should expect more out of our offensive line. If we need to point fingers to which unit is letting us down the most, it is the offensive line. It's embarrassing and they are not babies
IMO our offensive scheme and play calling are not helping our O line at all

Yea, well, that’s like your opinion, man…..

He’s the HC NOW—— he’s ultimately responsible for game management (timeouts,clock) offense and defense game plan and calls

We need a new head coach that knows how to DEVELOP players and get the most out of them. I truly believe we've had talent but it has been wasted.

We need a new head coach that knows how to DEVELOP players and get the most out of them. I truly believe we've had talent but it has been wasted.
A few busts in perceived talent happen everywhere, but what we’ve mostly seen is a repeated pattern of stagnation = coaching.
Shows up the most when we lose to teams who we clearly outmatch with our “talent.”

IMO our offensive scheme and play calling are not helping our O line at all
Ok I'll go there with you. AT TIMES, our o line looked like they were effective when we were trying to run power fb at people. We definitely are subpar when pass blocking and zone blocking. What's mind boggling to me is that should be easier. Our o linemen are not mobile and have terrible footwork, and can't seem to comprehend the concept of inside out blocking and picking up the most dangerous defender at the time. Maybe they're being taught something completely different.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Baby walk ons. True recipe for success.

You nailed it.

40 of them need to go. Immediately after Fridays game. I don’t care if they act tough or wear shorts when it’s cold. Division 1 sports isn’t a charity

Reactions: Dylman
If the only issues with Mickey was talent, bad offensive play calling, and bad O-Line play, yes we could say not Mickeys fault.

But we could have won yesterday with better coaching. He played not to lose. He had a few chances to go for it at mid-field on 4th and short and punted. He tried to “run out the clock” with 3+ minutes left when it was clear the only way we could move the chains was in the air or with CT’s feet. Grants dancing wasn’t going to fly. A blind person would see that. Why is he coaching like the win was a done deal as long as we didn’t screw up? The win was far a sure thing obviously

Or let’s go back to the Illinois game when Casey went out and Purdy played awful. Mickey stated he wasn’t getting enough reps in practice and that no one’s backups got enough reps in practice. But then the next week Minnesotas back up picks us apart.

Mickey did some good thing. Busch did a fabulous job under the circumstances. The major reason we aren’t going bowling this year is offense. And Mickey did nothing to fix that. 39 points combined in the last 4. Worst offense in the history of the school in 60+ years.

Yeah Mickey was given the opportunity but failed. He is a fantastic position coach. And would make a great “press secretary” type for the next HC.

He is not going to be headcoach he is out of his depth.....I don't care how F ing good he is at babysitting.

Reactions: K_Y_E
110 of 150 are Fr So RFr, young as hell. The next head coach and their staff need to fully evaluate and make some wise choices. Right now think a full roster for the rebuilding process needs to be in the 110-120 at most. Need to see the guys in live action with the coaches watching

Reactions: Bugeater
Ok I'll go there with you. AT TIMES, our o line looked like they were effective when we were trying to run power fb at people. We definitely are subpar when pass blocking and zone blocking. What's mind boggling to me is that should be easier. Our o linemen are not mobile and have terrible footwork, and can't seem to comprehend the concept of inside out blocking and picking up the most dangerous defender at the time. Maybe they're being taught something completely different.
Our offense since Frost was canned has been too predictable allowing a defense to pin their ears back on the way to the Qb. Run plays are too slow with zero deception. Then when you can’t run the ball crappy play action fakes don’t freeze anybody. When was the last time we ran a true zone read. We should be running it 5-10 times per game. When was the last time we ran a middle screen? You have to do something to slow down the rush IMO. This offense pretty much became hand off off tackle or try to chuck it deep when Frost was canned.

The fact that anyone would take the time to type the words, "Mickey is doing one hell of a job no matter what anyone says" is mind boggling. We have some dumb fans. I wonder what its like to live in an alternate reality where facts don't matter?
Not sure if they are dumb or just have low expectations. I remember making fun of Iowa fans when they thought 7 & 8 win seasons were good. A large number of fans whistled right past that standard down to suggesting 6 wins are good.

Our Roster,

It stinks to high-heaven
Shallow it be its depth
The end will come
The opponents' will always gets done
On the road as well as in Lincoln
It gives us each game our weekly beating
And leads us directly into temptation
But in the end delivers us losses
Our once proud kingdom
lacks any power and has no glory.

We need some men

• Haha
Reactions: Dylman and Bugeater
It's interesting how much a bad coaching staff can muck things up. I was comparing Chip Kelly to Frost, and since Frost is a disciple of Kelly's, I figured it was worth measuring their stints from when Chip was hired by Ucla, and Frost Nebraska.

Recruiting wise, on paper, Nebraska and Frost out paced the Bruins for years 2018-2022, with Nebraska averaging a respectable #22 class for five years, while Ucla averaged a #39 class.

Not a huge disparity but none the less Nebraska seemed to have garnered decent talent for the time period. On the field, results were dismal for both their first three years, and of course for Frost the next two. Kelly, however, seemed to have found a way to get better these past few years while Frost and his crew blew Nebraska into smithereens.

Nothing that I put down here is a secret to anyone on this board, but baseball13ne mentioned the roster, Nebraska has a lot of players to work with and evaluate, a coaching staff with a heart beat should be able to make a respectable showing for 2023.

I hope like hell they can grab a QB, and a few more solid O and D linemen, recruiting like their hair is on fire will be a plus, getting players from Missouri, colorado, Iowa, Texas, can be done, along with outliers like Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Ohio, Minnesota, where there are always a few good players to get.

Any good ones from the WC or South are a bonus, let's hope the new boys will be up to the task!

Our Roster,

It stinks to high-heaven
Shallow it be its depth
The end will come
The opponents' will always gets done
On the road as well as in Lincoln
It gives us each game our weekly beating
And leads us directly into temptation
But in the end delivers us losses
Our once proud kingdom
lacks any power and has no glory.

We need some men
Crafty congratulations on that 👏

It's interesting how much a bad coaching staff can muck things up. I was comparing Chip Kelly to Frost, and since Frost is a disciple of Kelly's, I figured it was worth measuring their stints from when Chip was hired by Ucla, and Frost Nebraska.

Recruiting wise, on paper, Nebraska and Frost out paced the Bruins for years 2018-2022, with Nebraska averaging a respectable #22 class for five years, while Ucla averaged a #39 class.

Not a huge disparity but none the less Nebraska seemed to have garnered decent talent for the time period. On the field, results were dismal for both their first three years, and of course for Frost the next two. Kelly, however, seemed to have found a way to get better these past few years while Frost and his crew blew Nebraska into smithereens.

Nothing that I put down here is a secret to anyone on this board, but baseball13ne mentioned the roster, Nebraska has a lot of players to work with and evaluate, a coaching staff with a heart beat should be able to make a respectable showing for 2023.

I hope like hell they can grab a QB, and a few more solid O and D linemen, recruiting like their hair is on fire will be a plus, getting players from Missouri, colorado, Iowa, Texas, can be done, along with outliers like Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Ohio, Minnesota, where there are always a few good players to get.

Any good ones from the WC or South are a bonus, let's hope the new boys will be up to the task!
With Colorado and Colorado State being so bad, it would seem like the door is open in Colorado to mine some talent. I know NU has had some success in the portal with Montana college transfers like Bushchini and Toure in recent years, but I can't ever recall NU signing a high school recruit from that state.

Reactions: Bugeater
With Colorado and Colorado State being so bad, it would seem like the door is open in Colorado to mine some talent. I know NU has had some success in the portal with Montana college transfers like Bushchini and Toure in recent years, but I can't ever recall NU signing a high school recruit from that state.
Mark Gilman from back in the day was one. Might not be too many to get there, but always worth looking at, especially with their two lower division teams, a lot of home talent at Montana and Montana State.

One thing that’s a must for next year is to have our O-Line fully participating in Spring. No more BS. No more “we sitting blah blah blah out to help him get some rest”. No one is good enough on that line to miss practices. “Mental reps” aren’t the same.

Also need to find a RT. I don’t see any of the O-line starters from yesterdays game starting next year except for maybe Turner but they have to move him to center. He’s not a tackle. Maybe Weaver can do something on offense otherwise gotta find someone to pay off the portal…20,21,& 22 offensive line recruiting was awful and I can’t understand why they didn’t recruit more guys in those classes on the o-line. This years class shows how depleted the bodies have been.

LT- Teddy P
LG - Nouili
C - CorCoran
RG- Lutovsky
RT- ?

That's far too many. It should be closer to 120. How many of those are walk ons?

My first thought also. Way too many Walk-ons who will never see the field. I hope they are not taking up coaches time but somebody is spending time with them who could be spending time with guys who might actually play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT