Purdue — W — a surprisingly easy one
Wisconsin — W — first big upset of the Frost era
Northwestern — W — new scheme meshes
Minnesota — W — and we thrash them and their goofy coach
OSU — L — a close one, with Urban whinning that we were hitting too hard
Illinois — W — another welcome thrashing
MSU — W — we pull off a close one
Iowa — W — a butt kicking that they and their stupid fans richly deserve

Now before everyone jumps on about premature and unjustified optimism, my main point is to point that this record IS possible.

10-2

Here’s my, admittedly way too early, prediction:

Akron — W — easy one
Colorado — W — close, but new Husker scheme and attitude reveal themselves
Troy — W
Michigan — L — but we give them a game
Purdue — W — a surprisingly easy one
Wisconsin — W — first big upset of the Frost era
Northwestern — W — new scheme meshes
Minnesota — W — and we thrash them and their goofy coach
OSU — L — a close one, with Urban whinning that we were hitting too hard
Illinois — W — another welcome thrashing
MSU — W — we pull off a close one
Iowa — W — a butt kicking that they and their stupid fans richly deserve

Now before everyone jumps on about premature and unjustified optimism, my main point is to point that this record IS possible.
Well I like your optimism. I thought that would be our record last year. I think 10-2 would be closer to reality in 2018 than 2017 considering where we ended

Well, I'd be with that prediction if it was for year "two". Year #1 could very well be tough even for SF. From 4 wins to 10 especially with that schedule.....well, I hope so! I wouldn't bet the ranch on that though. Winking

I drank the Kool aid until Arkansas St. Feel a little vindicated that they yellow flag went up for matt D too. I will wait to make predictions until after the first game

Reactions: maplesyrup95
1. We have very little depth at certain key positions. Therefore, injuries at those positions would throw off any optimistic prediction
2. No way to know just how deep the Riley rot went and therefore how the returning players will react to the new Frost regimen. Davison's comments make me think the Riley rot is deep.
3. No way to know yet how good certain teams will be next year. We know OSU will be top shelf. But just how good will the following teams be: Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Colorado? We could win all those games. We could also lose all those games.
4. No way to know how quickly the players will adapt to new systems on both sides of the ball.
5. No way to know if any of the new Juco players will gel this year.

Hell, we could go 11-1. We could also go 5-7

1. We have very little depth at certain key positions. Therefore, injuries at those positions would throw off any optimistic prediction
2. No way to know just how deep the Riley rot went and therefore how the returning players will react to the new Frost regimen. Davison's comments make me think the Riley rot is deep.
3. No way to know yet how good certain teams will be next year. We know OSU will be top shelf. But just how good will the following teams be: Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Colorado? We could win all those games. We could also lose all those games.
4. No way to know how quickly the players will adapt to new systems on both sides of the ball.

Yep, well said sir.

I'm confident year two for SF will show huge improvement but year "one" with that schedule.....who knows? The Riley rot could be deep indeed and needs a little time.

I was thinking 7-8 wins for Frost's first year implementing a new system...but now after actually thinking about how each game will likely play out, we could very well go 10-2 or higher.

Frost is going to have them ready and playing hard. We are getting some talented players who will see playing time this year and will help offset some of our weaknesses we would normally see in a transition year.

I set my realistic hopes low so that I'm pleasantly surprised when we overachieve. Now, my 'kool-aid drunk' hopes are another story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bremser
Well, I'd be with that prediction if it was for year "two". Year #1 could very well be tough even for SF. From 4 wins to 10 especially with that schedule.....well, I hope so! I wouldn't bet the ranch on that though. Winking[/QUOTEd

Well.....he has done from 0 to 6 and then 6 to undefeated at 13. So last year's win (4) + 6 this year. That equals 10!!!!

While, I am going to be wishing, hoping and cheering for undefeated, as always. Also as always though, I will continue with my passion for losses :p We haven't had a coach lose less that 4 since Solich. When I start seeing 1, 2 and 3 loss seasons, I'll get all excited again.

Looking forward to improvement but if the over/under for regular season wins is 7.5 and I’m forced to bet an amount of money that matters I’m taking the under next year

Many of these predictions are well and good but doubt many would back them with any meaningful dollars

Are you taking this into consideration?
Yes. There are 8 winnable games on our schedule next year. Pelini had 9 win talent on the team and Riley recruited similar to Pelini and the staff was able to fill some holes with their transition class. Couple that with the fact that this staff can coach circles around the prior staffs and anything less than 9 wins would be a disappointment.

Yep, well said sir.

I'm confident year two for SF will show huge improvement but year "one" with that schedule.....who knows? The Riley rot could be deep indeed and needs a little time.
If there was Riley rot last year, was there also Bo toxicity in 2015? ;-)

While this is somewhat tongue in cheek, this is probably why there are some still having a hard time complimenting Frost for what will hopefully be a great career here. When posters posted about Bo’s toxic wasteland, others said it was normal.

Can’t have it both ways.

Sorry, bshirt, not calling you out directly... and I’m not saying Frost and company don’t have any work to do either... I just find it interesting is all.

Edit: I shouldn’t say, can’t have it both ways. What I should have said is what is different between the way Pelini left the huskers and the way Riley left the huskers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

All good points. If we can avoid major injuries, our chances obviously improve. My source of optimism is based on early things Frost has done that, frankly, I never thought would happen: Beating Auburn while coaching two teams; a dramatically swift improvement in recruiting; setting high expectations and demanding accountability beyond what anyone expected. These are not normal coaching things. They’re special, and I haven’t seen anything like in my lifetime of following Husker football.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I was thinking 7-8 wins for Frost's first year implementing a new system...but now after actually thinking about how each game will likely play out, we could very well go 10-2 or higher.

Frost is going to have them ready and playing hard. We are getting some talented players who will see playing time this year and will help offset some of our weaknesses we would normally see in a transition year.

I set my realistic hopes low so that I'm pleasantly surprised when we overachieve. Now, my 'kool-aid drunk' hopes are another story.
I’m drinking the same kook-aid you are! But, I think folks underestimate how lethargic we’ve been playing over at least the last 10 years. I grew up with Nebraska teams that were always tough, even when their talent didn’t match up. Frost getting us back to that point alone will make a huge difference. I think we’re the ones that will be doing some pushing around this year.

This team is mentally beat up and weak because of the previous coaches. The new staff has to install completely new offense and defense, the schedule is tough, no QB, the talent level, although similar to the last 11 years is now below average. No way we can expect frost to work miracles.

We will be lucky to win 4 or 5 games.

Did I hit all the hot buttons???

Sarcasm

I agree with Kaz anything less than 8 will be a disappointment.

Anywhere from 6 to 9 wins. I think they will be competitive in every game, but it’s hard to say how everyone is going to adjust to the new system.

Reactions: scarletred
7-8 is the number if we win the games we should win.

The season will depend on how fast the QB (whichever one wins out) is able to pick up the new offense and most important process the decision making fast enough on the field to run the uptempo that Frost wants. It's one thing to be able to do it in the meeting room and practices; it's a totally different thing to be able to do it in the heat of the battle on the field against a real opponent. It took Milton the second year to function like his offense needed.

There are 8 wins on the schedule and that is what I expect. Anything more and I will be thrilled. Anything less I’ll be disappointed, but understanding of the situation. Expect to make a bowl game and get a win against someone we’re not supposed to beat.

When our Iowa friends come on the board, they think you are serious and that we all are delusional.

Who gives a frogs fat ass what the Iowa fans think???
stuart-smalley.jpg

url

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT