ADVERTISEMENT

Our players are now filing a lawsuit

Rule #1 in legal defense: be honest with your lawyer. This dude was obviously NOT told all of the facts by his clients. Claiming that harm will come from the truth is not a compelling argument.

I second that- tell everything before we act- honestly don’t care, seen and heard the worst of humanity

Reactions: Crazyhole
I would love for this to result in a clean break from this conference. Wishful (and dramatic) thinking I realize.

And where do you want Nebraska to go? The big 12? Back to the conference that Texas rules with an iron fist? How much better do you think Texas will treat us upon coming back?

Nebraska has made its bed, now it gets to sleep in it. The bed is full of money, too bad it has bed bugs!

Lawsuits take years and years to progress through the system. That's doubly true right now. These players will be able to send their kids to college under the result of this suit, if they're lucky.

in response to Northwestern players arguing (successfully, as @jlb321 has pointed out) that scholarship athletes at private institutions are, indeed, employees and therefore deserve right to organize, state legislatures in MI, OH and PA crafted and passed laws prohibiting such behavior.

it's very, very public that the largest institutions in the B1G are against players organizing.
Do you honestly think that anyone associated with athletics in Nebraska wants players to organize??? Come on be honest with yourself.

Reactions: scarletred
Lawsuits take years and years to progress through the system. That's doubly true right now. These players will be able to send their kids to college under the result of this suit, if they're lucky.
The hearing today was to expedite discovery, and the judge gave the conference 50 business hours to respond. She's obviously taking the injunction part of this seriously so this isn't going to be a 2 year long process.

Do you honestly think that anyone associated with athletics in Nebraska wants players to organize??? Come on be honest with yourself.
yes, I think they see the writing on the wall and would embrace it. it's good for players and it's great for the game.

don't forget NU was the first school in all of the NCAA to announce a partnership with a firm specifically to help its athletes maximize their NIL earnings. I believe they'd do the same in dealing with a players' union.

yes, I think they see the writing on the wall and would embrace it. it's good for players and it's great for the game.

don't forget NU was the first school in all of the NCAA to announce a partnership with a firm specifically to help its athletes maximize their NIL earnings. I believe they'd do the same in dealing with a players' union.
It wasn't a coincidence that NIL was referenced in the complaint.

Rule #1 in legal defense: be honest with your lawyer. This dude was obviously NOT told all of the facts by his clients. Claiming that harm will come from the truth is not a compelling argument.
I don't think it is so obvious that he made an appearance cold to the facts. He may have been referring to the harm that might ensue if students (and others) are allowed, as part of a civil suit, to legally obtain records related to communications undertaken in executive session.

In other words, conference records pertaining to executive deliberations are privaledged and should be afforded absolute confidentiality (except, of course, in the case of legitimate criminal inquiries). Not sure but I believe organizations have the right to redact such under a FOIA request. Perhaps they are seeking to protect that same right here.

Last edited:
And where do you want Nebraska to go? The big 12? Back to the conference that Texas rules with an iron fist? How much better do you think Texas will treat us upon coming back?

Nebraska has made its bed, now it gets to sleep in it. The bed is full of money, too bad it has bed bugs!
Agree, I don't see going back to the Big12 as an option. We would just be trading one evil for another. I think we would also be treated as outsiders I really don't see how we survive in the B10 going forward. We thought we were outsiders before, good luck being part of the club after this. I think our best option would be to go independent. I have no idea the money difference.

Reactions: Crazyhole

If this blows up in a big way, conference realignment is going to be in full swing again. Who knows how it all shakes out, or which conferences end up forming what or how the league could look. It might be very different in the future.

The only thing that makes sense to have happen now
in response to Northwestern players arguing (successfully, as @jlb321 has pointed out) that scholarship athletes at private institutions are, indeed, employees and therefore deserve right to organize, state legislatures in MI, OH and PA crafted and passed laws prohibiting such behavior.

it's very, very public that the largest institutions in the B1G are against players organizing.
Bingo. People keep thinking this is about COVID. It's about avoiding a CFBPA.

I don't think it is so obvious that he made an appearance cold to the facts. He may have been referring to the harm that might ensue if students (and others) are allowed, as part of a civil suit, to legally obtain records related to communications undertaken in executive session. In other words, conference records pertaining to executive deliberations are privaledged and should be afforded absolute confidentiality (except, of course, in the case of legitimate criminal inquiries). Not sure but I believe organizations have the right to redact under a FOIA request. Perhaps they are seeking to protect that same right here.

FOIA is irrelevant at this point. This is a civil suit claiming damages due to breach of contract, and asking for relief. Thats not the same as a request for documents and regardless the BIg10 isn't a public entity. The conference has to somehow prove this is a frivolous lawsuit to get it thrown out or provide a defense against the allegations.

Most likely, they will respond on Monday with very limited documentation about conference protocol and threaten to ask for relief from the plaintiffs in an attempt to discourage this from going forward.

Why are so many saying Nebraska will come out looking bad? If things went down the way it has been reported by many, Warren is the one who will look bad. Shoot, he already looks terrible, and getting worse every day.

The insiders are saying this is all Warren’s fault. Why hammer the ones shining the light on him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT