ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where did I go wrong???

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
My nephew signed his intent to become a United States Marine this past week. I thought he had some common sense. I was wrong. RollingLaugh

IMG_20160317_164336_01_zpsxzpwmnsh.jpg

My only consolation is that he will be a part of the Navy. The thing I miss most is going to sea. My sister will be there to see his graduation. She was a Marine herself.

A friend of mine is a retired Marine gunnery Sgt. He says the navy was started so the Matines had someone to dance with on shore leave. I'm just the messenger.

A friend of mine is a retired Marine gunnery Sgt. He says the navy was started so the Matines had someone to dance with on shore leave. I'm just the messenger.

It goes both ways. I have lots of Marines jokes. I save them for my Marines friends. All in fun. It doesn't really matter in the end. We are all on the same team.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
It goes both ways. I have lots of Marines jokes. I save them for my Marines friends. All in fun. It doesn't really matter in the end. We are all on the same team.

Exactly what I told Sarge.

I'm sure it will be Parris Island. From upstate New York.
Being from Nebraska I went to MCRD, pretty happy about that since I heard PI was humid. All my platoon was west of Mississippi except for one guy from New York City. I'm not sure why he got sent west. The guy had never touched a firearm in his life and was the high scorer on the rifle range in our platoon. As a matter of fact, all the guys who had never shot scored higher than us guys who grew up with guns. They learned the Marine Corps way I guess. Also, the M-16s back in the day had a circle/post sight and us guys who grew up with scopes and notch/post sights could not get the darn post into the middle of the circle.

Reactions: resdog851
I wish him the best.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Reagan

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker
Tell you son thank you for his service! My dad was a marine at the beginning of the Vietnam war. Almost his entire group from basic got sent over, and many didn't return. For whatever reason, my dad didn't have to go. Because of this reason, he really feels he didn't truly serve his country like he could have. Deep down he is ashamed simply b/c he didn't serve in the war. I am, of course, glad he didn't get sent over since he may not have returned, but I am still damn proud of what he did for all of us.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Tell you son thank you for his service! My dad was a marine at the beginning of the Vietnam war. Almost his entire group from basic got sent over, and many didn't return. For whatever reason, my dad didn't have to go. Because of this reason, he really feels he didn't truly serve his country like he could have. Deep down he is ashamed simply b/c he didn't serve in the war. I am, of course, glad he didn't get sent over since he may not have returned, but I am still damn proud of what he did for all of us.

There's a lot of jobs in the service that are not glamorous. Those jobs still need to be done. How many on the front lines can fight without a cook? Without supplies? You do what is asked of you. Your father served his country and should be proud of it. Now, many use their privilege to avoid dangerous duty. I have no respect for that. But whether you are a technician or a rifleman in the infantry you are serving your country.

I remember standing watch on the fantail at midnight in Naples on my birthday. It was about as unromantic of duty as one could get. I kept thinking about the terrorists and the USS Cole bombing while I stood there shivering. Kept me ever more vigilent.

I remember reading a few years ago bout someone coming aboard one of ships and opening fire. I believed someone was killed before the intruder was shot and killed. It made me think back to those cold nights on pier sentry duty where I got flack for carefully checking IDs. I didn't want to be the one who let the bad guys through because it was inconvenient to do my job.

No. Your dad did what he was told to do. He should be proud of it. I don't miss the military, but I'm grateful of those that often do those thankless tasks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT