ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Trevor Lawrence

Teams have to have starting QBs and starting QBs get paid what they get paid

All these deals just highlight the fact there’s only 1 good QB at the moment more than anything else

Reactions: mgbreis
I keep listening to these talking heads on the radio and TV say such and such team HAS to pay their quarterbacks. Why? I think the Giants made a mistake paying Daniel Jones, as will the Cowboys if they sign Dak to yet another big contract. Watson has done nothing to earn the large sum he has received since going to Cleveland, and now what has Lawerence done to earn a huge new contract? I do not believe these guys will ever get their team in a SB. I would add the Steelers to the list. They are not paying Wilson and Fields huge contracts, but does anyone think either of these two will be the answer for Pittsburgh?

I keep listening to these talking heads on the radio and TV say such and such team HAS to pay their quarterbacks. Why? I think the Giants made a mistake paying Daniel Jones, as will the Cowboys if they sign Dak to yet another big contract. Watson has done nothing to earn the large sum he has received since going to Cleveland, and now what has Lawerence done to earn a huge new contract? I do not believe these guys will ever get their team in a SB. I would add the Steelers to the list. They are not paying Wilson and Fields huge contracts, but does anyone think either of these two will be the answer for Pittsburgh?

Steelers dont deserve to be anywhere in this conversation. Broncos paying Russ. Steelers vet minimum. Fields making crumbs also.

Not sure how they made it in here.

Holla

Reactions: Dean Pope

Add Kyler and the Cards to the list.

I'm all for paying ridiculous amounts of money to the right players, but some of these contracts in the last few weeks don't qualify for that. For example, would anyone put in a prediction the Vikes even make the playoffs in the next 2 years? I'd bet against it. So we'll see.

...but this is why the NFL is king, because here we are discussing contracts during the summer. Hahaha

Just take off TL rookie year when Urban mailed it in.
Actually I was going by what has been said about his more recent play. This is just one example that I was referring to. Notice the local Jacksonville sportscaster who immediately disputes everything that Cosell said. Of course, the local guy has bias and needs to say the popular things, the safe things-- like a politician. I don't put any credence into what a Jacksonville guy says and the select highlight plays he picks out.

The Lawrence conversation is on the same lines of what we see with those late four star recruits that had few offers and Frost took in at the last minute or the transfers who rode the bench at their previous school but had a four star rating at one time. The perception is that Lawrence is a phenom-- he was hyped up to be the next John Elway by media blowhards, but his play says otherwise.

I would add the Steelers to the list. They are not paying Wilson and Fields huge contracts, but does anyone think either of these two will be the answer for Pittsburgh?
Yes, a lot of Steelers fans seem to think that Justin Fields is the answer. But these Steeler fans are like any other fans, a lot of it is based on the hype that Fields once had (similar to Lawrence) and wishful thinking. Personally, I don't think either is the answer long term but both should play better than Pickett. Fields could become that system QB playing behind a great offensive line with a great running game. Maybe he develops into a top 15-20 QB who has at least one elite skill-- his running ability. Could he be signed to a reasonable contract? That is the hope, but that is all it is at this point. Personally, as a Steeler fan, I like what they did at QB. They had a "A" draft, beefed up in other areas.

One interesting tidbit: Lawrence and Fields are not that far apart statistically. Lawrence is better overall, but would you rather have Fields at $3.2 million a year or Lawrence at $55 million? Let's say that Fields signs to play the next three years at $12 a year. Would you rather have Lawrence and have to let a few good players go in order to afford him or Fields and be able to keep or bring in a few good players?

Last edited:
No they won’t be for the Steelers. They will be placeholders and help the team get better at other spots on the field.

Add Kyler and the Cards to the list.

I'm all for paying ridiculous amounts of money to the right players, but some of these contracts in the last few weeks don't qualify for that. For example, would anyone put in a prediction the Vikes even make the playoffs in the next 2 years? I'd bet against it. So we'll see.

...but this is why the NFL is king, because here we are discussing contracts during the summer. Hahaha
You think the Vikings playoff chances go up by not extending Jefferson? Who else should they pay that is a better investment then a drafted and developed pro-bowl wideout who is the face of the franchise?

Reactions: king_kong_
You think the Vikings playoff chances go up by not extending Jefferson? Who else should they pay that is a better investment then a drafted and developed pro-bowl wideout who is the face of the franchise?
Some of these people act like there are unlimited elite free agents available to sign

Others act like every dollar skimped on salary cap is a dollar made

There is a required minimum salary floor teams must pay players every year

Reactions: Huskers123456

nope. i don't think they change either way, so why wrap up that much in a player that maybe changes your win total by a game, maybe....

i think they should have started over, traded jj for draft capital. there is a very clear formula for winning in the nfl, and nobody is doing it with a star wr and little else.

nope. i don't think they change either way, so why wrap up that much in a player that maybe changes your win total by a game, maybe....

i think they should have started over, traded jj for draft capital. there is a very clear formula for winning in the nfl, and nobody is doing it with a star wr and little else.
They drafted a 1st round qb. They don't have other players to spend it on. So no reason to let the far and away best player leave, who also helps the young qb.

They drafted a 1st round qb. They don't have other players to spend it on. So no reason to let the far and away best player leave, who also helps the young qb.

i get that line of thinking, which is why i usually add a disclaimer that maybe this will end up being the right move. i'm not going to sit here and act like my opinion is a fact..hahaha...BUT, there were very good WR's available in the draft, I'd have jettisoned jj for some draft capital, and got one of them, plus a stud o-line and or 2. there were options to improve the line and pick up a FA RB as well (derrick henry maybe)??, those would also help a your qb....and you'd still have millions to keep shopping

Reactions: dinglefritz
anyone who has ever worked in a corporate environment knows you get paid for the anticipated value you're expected to produce, not a reward for what you have produced, those are included in the forms of a bonus.

it is an interesting bet, but i don't see that they have a better choice. Lawrence was a historically inflated prospect, but it'd be good for football if he continued to develop to an elite level.

i get that line of thinking, which is why i usually add a disclaimer that maybe this will end up being the right move. i'm not going to sit here and act like my opinion is a fact..hahaha...BUT, there were very good WR's available in the draft, I'd have jettisoned jj for some draft capital, and got one of them, plus a stud o-line and or 2. there were options to improve the line and pick up a FA RB as well (derrick henry maybe)??, those would also help a your qb....and you'd still have millions to keep shopping
They got Aaron Jones, for super cheap too. I think that is a hell of a signing for a rookie qb, knowing Jones isn't playing a full season. When Jones plays he is a very dynamic and versatile back.

Henry wasn't going to a team like the Vikings. They want to sling it and I'm guessing Henry only considered going to a SB contender.

Reactions: king_kong_
anyone who has ever worked in a corporate environment knows you get paid for the anticipated value you're expected to produce, not a reward for what you have produced, those are included in the forms of a bonus.
That's fine, but I think all of that pretty muted compared to a lot of pro franchises. Public scrutiny and the media spotlight is much greater. And the big thing I've noticed is the franchises with idiot owners are forced to make stupid decisions. GMs on the hot seat make gambles to keep their jobs and use future assets to do it because they do not want to see their replacements succeed. There's a lot of dysfunction at the top of pro sports franchises.

They got Aaron Jones, for super cheap too. I think that is a hell of a signing for a rookie qb, knowing Jones isn't playing a full season. When Jones plays he is a very dynamic and versatile back.
I've taken Aaron Jones as a value pick in fantasy football or pick him on the cheap in a trade a lot over the years. It should be very interesting to see how he does this year for the Vikings. He'll turn 30 during the season. Guys like former Viking RB Dalvin Cook have their production just fall off a cliff as they get older.

Fun facts- Dalvin Cook is still an unsigned free agent right now. Cook and Aaron Jones were both drafted in 2017 and Cook is almost two years younger than Jones.

I've taken Aaron Jones as a value pick in fantasy football or pick him on the cheap in a trade a lot over the years. It should be very interesting to see how he does this year for the Vikings. He'll turn 30 during the season. Guys like former Viking RB Dalvin Cook have their production just fall off a cliff as they get older.

Fun facts- Dalvin Cook is still an unsigned free agent right now. Cook and Aaron Jones were both drafted in 2017 and Cook is almost two years younger than Jones.
They were correct to not pay Cook. Seemed like a really good running back coming off of his last four years with the team, but they must’ve seen something in him that told them it was the end of the road.

Very unlikely that McCarthy starts this year. I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that O’Connell can develop Darnold into a pretty good starter. He’s still pretty young, and if he does work out, they can trade McCarthy.

Reactions: dinglefritz
That's fine, but I think all of that pretty muted compared to a lot of pro franchises. Public scrutiny and the media spotlight is much greater. And the big thing I've noticed is the franchises with idiot owners are forced to make stupid decisions. GMs on the hot seat make gambles to keep their jobs and use future assets to do it because they do not want to see their replacements succeed. There's a lot of dysfunction at the top of pro sports franchises.
i'm not following entirely what you mean. are you saying they signed him to an extension because the GM is worried he might lose his job?

if they waited to sign him and he competed at a high level, they'd be forced to pay him a lot more.

i'm not following entirely what you mean. are you saying they signed him to an extension because the GM is worried he might lose his job?

if they waited to sign him and he competed at a high level, they'd be forced to pay him a lot more.
They call that last paragraph the Cowboy model. Drag it out while the market keeps resetting itself higher, then sign them anyway because you have no alternative.

They call that last paragraph the Cowboy model. Drag it out while the market keeps resetting itself higher, then sign them anyway because you have no alternative.
Jerry is also an idiot who likes to hand out sentimental contracts to guys like Zeke & Jaylon Smith

and thats the crux of the argument i was responding to, you don't pay people for what they have done, you pay people for what you're expecting them to do

I'm honestly shocked at how many people want a wideout who was drafted by MN, was All-pro 3 out of 4 seasons, and has the most receiving yards ever in the first 4 years, and just get rid of him. A dream scenario. Why even try to draft great players? Just trade all 1st round picks for 3rd rounders, I guess.

I'm honestly shocked at how many people want a wideout who was drafted by MN, was All-pro 3 out of 4 seasons, and has the most receiving yards ever in the first 4 years, and just get rid of him. A dream scenario. Why even try to draft great players? Just trade all 1st round picks for 3rd rounders, I guess.

Everyone recognizes he's amazing and worth the money.....just should be with a team that is closer to winning something. Nobody would blink at that contract if he was on the chiefs or the bills or the bengals or the eagles or the niners or the lions, but the vikings??? They are 2 years away from being 2 years away.

Reactions: BleedRed78

No, I think extending Lawrence was the safe play. Yes, he’s overrated and overpaid from what he’s shown thus far but it was a logical, safe move to make. I have no idea if the GM (Balke? I won’t look it up. Could be wrong) is on the hot seat.

I was just responding to your comment in general. A lot of moves are made in desperation. Oftentimes, the big signings early in free agency are considered bad contracts a year later.

Reactions: thall_
Everyone recognizes he's amazing and worth the money.....just should be with a team that is closer to winning something. Nobody would blink at that contract if he was on the chiefs or the bills or the bengals or the eagles or the niners or the lions, but the vikings??? They are 2 years away from being 2 years away.
The difference is that the Vikings would literally just be not spending money to be cheap. Signing Jefferson won't impact the rest of the roster. They would be praying that any draft picks they got were 1/2 of what Jefferson is. Throw in that he puts people in the stands and is top 10 in jersey sales and it's a no brainer. It takes a player of his magnitude and personality to make MN even slightly relevant.

Yes, a lot of Steelers fans seem to think that Justin Fields is the answer. But these Steeler fans are like any other fans, a lot of it is based on the hype that Fields once had (similar to Lawrence) and wishful thinking. Personally, I don't think either is the answer long term but both should play better than Pickett. Fields could become that system QB playing behind a great offensive line with a great running game. Maybe he develops into a top 15-20 QB who has at least one elite skill-- his running ability. Could he be signed to a reasonable contract? That is the hope, but that is all it is at this point. Personally, as a Steeler fan, I like what they did at QB. They had a "A" draft, beefed up in other areas.

One interesting tidbit: Lawrence and Fields are not that far apart statistically. Lawrence is better overall, but would you rather have Fields at $3.2 million a year or Lawrence at $55 million? Let's say that Fields signs to play the next three years at $12 a year. Would you rather have Lawrence and have to let a few good players go in order to afford him or Fields and be able to keep or bring in a few good players?

Fellow Steelers fan and kinda feel the same. I'm not sure if Russ or Justin is the future QB. But I think both represent upgrades over Pickett. If we can get average-above average QB play and everything else just as good as last year we will have a decent shot a playoff game.

If we get good-great QB play (less likely) we will be a very dangerous team.

Holla

You pay for what you have and know because you don't know if what is out there will be better or not.

QBs that are released are definitely not producing or haven't produced for their current team or are/ were injured at an inopportune time. Regardless the Jags are building and improving since going 1-15 and have now had back to back 9-8 seasons. Turning that over to a rookie or a vet who fits the definition above makes little to no sense.

They were correct to not pay Cook. Seemed like a really good running back coming off of his last four years with the team, but they must’ve seen something in him that told them it was the end of the road.

Very unlikely that McCarthy starts this year. I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that O’Connell can develop Darnold into a pretty good starter. He’s still pretty young, and if he does work out, they can trade McCarthy.
It seemed like Cook was always hurt. One of my concerns about Jefferson is that I think he chose to sit out some games this past season that he could have played in. I think both of those guys make "business decisions" over team goals.

Fellow Steelers fan and kinda feel the same. I'm not sure if Russ or Justin is the future QB. But I think both represent upgrades over Pickett. If we can get average-above average QB play and everything else just as good as last year we will have a decent shot a playoff game.

If we get good-great QB play (less likely) we will be a very dangerous team.

Holla
The Steelers needed to fix their O line. Maybe a more mobile QB will take some pressure off of them but their O line sucked.

Jerry is also an idiot who likes to hand out sentimental contracts to guys like Zeke & Jaylon Smith

and thats the crux of the argument i was responding to, you don't pay people for what they have done, you pay people for what you're expecting them to do
. You absolutely grant a contract
On future production. You also give that contract on previous production. Both things can true.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Who sounds like he's struggling according to some reports... Of course the Vikings draft the wrong QB in the first round lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT