ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Trevor Lawrence

The difference is that the Vikings would literally just be not spending money to be cheap. Signing Jefferson won't impact the rest of the roster. They would be praying that any draft picks they got were 1/2 of what Jefferson is. Throw in that he puts people in the stands and is top 10 in jersey sales and it's a no brainer. It takes a player of his magnitude and personality to make MN even slightly relevant.
Yeah, you better have some offensive stars on your team. Ideally, it’s a quarterback, but if not, a receiver is probably the second choice. You’d look stupid giving him away unless you need a major roster rebuild, which they don’t. They just hope that they’ve built the right quarterback room. Time will tell.

They drafted a couple early pick olinemen didn't they?
I believe they did. That doesn't help Pickett any more. I thought Pickett kind of got a bad rap and took all the blame for their poor OC and O line play. JMO. Rookie O linemen rarely make a difference early in their career but no doubt Tomlin will win games especially with the option of a couple of veteran mobile guys who have proven they can win a few games behind crappy O lines.

Reactions: BleedRed78
. You absolutely grant a contract
On future production. You also give that contract on previous production. Both things can true.
You're then banking on the idea that past production predicts future production which for an employee is reasonable in the normal workplace. I'm not sure that holds true for NFL players.

Who sounds like he's struggling according to some reports... Of course the Vikings draft the wrong QB in the first round lol
I think the Vikings wasted a pick by taking a QB where they did. My belief is that Darnold's experience and arm talent makes him a better option. That said, with the limitations on rookie QB deals, it's not as big of a deal as it used to be. IF he doesn't pan out and Darnold does, it's all good.

Fellow Steelers fan and kinda feel the same. I'm not sure if Russ or Justin is the future QB. But I think both represent upgrades over Pickett. If we can get average-above average QB play and everything else just as good as last year we will have a decent shot a playoff game.

If we get good-great QB play (less likely) we will be a very dangerous team.
I think the 49ers success with Brock Purdy at QB is the model for all teams who do not have that elite QB. Wilson is what he is at this point. Sounds like he has been pretty damn good in OTAs. We'll see how that translates to this season. However, one of Pickett's biggest criticisms was his habit of spinning out of the pocket and running into trouble. Making the job of his OL nearly impossible. Unfortunately, that is also a bad habit that Wilson has always had.

Go Steelers!

I think the 49ers success with Brock Purdy at QB is the model for all teams who do not have that elite QB. Wilson is what he is at this point. Sounds like he has been pretty damn good in OTAs. We'll see how that translates to this season. However, one of Pickett's biggest criticisms was his habit of spinning out of the pocket and running into trouble. Making the job of his OL nearly impossible. Unfortunately, that is also a bad habit that Wilson has always had.

Go Steelers!
I think Tomlin and Russ are a dangerous combination. My hunch is that Wilson respects Tomlin and will do what's requested and play within the framework laid out for him. All he has to do is not turn the ball over and Tomlin will win a lot of games. Personally I wish my Vikes had picked up Pickett. There's a lot to like with his talent and IMO he would have flourished in our offense with our staff.

They drafted a couple early pick olinemen didn't they?
Yes. The Steelers had a great draft. Even noted Ravens fan Mel Kiper gave them an A. That's two good drafts in a row. The Steelers got Troy Fautanu (Washington) in the first round. He'll move from left tackle to right tackle. They drafted a center out of West Virginia in the 2nd round- Frazier. They need both to be able to start, but Tomlin will make them earn it. He always does. Then in the fourth, they took a guy that is exactly the type of lineman the Huskers used to have- an unflashy offensive guard named McCormick. He looks unathletic, but he tested very well and he's very, very physical. He was a captain for a few years on a great South Dakota St. offensive line (last year's line will have 3 or 4 eventually drafted from it).

Who sounds like he's struggling according to some reports
of course he is, i will be shocked if JJ isn't a bust.

the dude always played with a more talented OL and defense than the other team.

his team was so physically superior that they were able to get away with not throwing a single pass in the second half of a game against a top 10 opponent. he will never experience a luxury like that in the NFL

further, he has likely already experienced the best coaching staff he'll ever have.

feels a lot like those mid-2010's SEC QB's like AJ McCarron & Aaron Murray.

his team was so physically superior that they were able to get away with not throwing a single pass in the second half of a game against a top 10 opponent. he will never experience a luxury like that in the NFL

further, he has likely already experienced the best coaching staff he'll ever have.

feels a lot like those mid-2010's SEC QB's like AJ McCarron & Aaron Murray.

...at least he's small

I think Tomlin and Russ are a dangerous combination. My hunch is that Wilson respects Tomlin and will do what's requested and play within the framework laid out for him. All he has to do is not turn the ball over and Tomlin will win a lot of games. Personally I wish my Vikes had picked up Pickett. There's a lot to like with his talent and IMO he would have flourished in our offense with our staff.
If anyone can get Russ to calm down, Tomlin can. But Wilson is short and has a difficult time seeing over the O-line. He gets a lot of balls batted down. And when he was younger and faster, he made a lot of those off script scramble plays work. But it's not happening much anymore. Drove Sean Payton crazy and that's why Denver is now paying Wilson $38 million this year to play QB for the Steelers. My hope is that Arthur Smith's offense will have so much play action & bootlegs that it will play toward Wilson's strengths. And reports are that Wilson still has that strong, accurate arm.

As for Pickett, the whole league told us what they think about him. The Eagles got Pickett & a 4th for a 3rd & two 7ths. Essentially, Pickett with two years of starting experience and two years left on a rookie deal could have been had by any other team for a high 4th rounder. That is cheap! Pickett apparently wasn't mature and not much of a leader either. He refused to suit up as a backup at the end of the season when Mason Rudolph was starting ahead of him. So when Pickett asked for a trade, the Steelers traded him with surprising speed.

• Love
Reactions: kakdawg

Not arguing with you on anything, but the key to all of this is Kevin O'Connell. Seems that everyone who needs a head coach or OC is looking toward the Shanahan or McVey coaching tree. O'Connell helped Kirk Cousins look pretty damn good and the Vikings WR corp is top five.

Not arguing with you on anything, but the key to all of this is Kevin O'Connell. Seems that everyone who needs a head coach or OC is looking toward the Shanahan or McVey coaching tree. O'Connell helped Kirk Cousins look pretty damn good and the Vikings WR corp is top five.
i don't know if O'Connell is the QB whisperer others expect him to be.

yes, Kirk won a lot of games his first season there, but the only career highs he set were in attempts, interceptions, and sacks taken.

their WR corp is definitely scary, i just have trouble seeing JJ be anything better than a somewhat decent starter.

If anyone can get Russ to calm down, Tomlin can. But Wilson is short and has a difficult time seeing over the O-line. He gets a lot of balls batted down. And when he was younger and faster, he made a lot of those off script scramble plays work. But it's not happening much anymore. Drove Sean Payton crazy and that's why Denver is now paying Wilson $38 million this year to play QB for the Steelers. My hope is that Arthur Smith's offense will have so much play action & bootlegs that it will play toward Wilson's strengths. And reports are that Wilson still has that strong, accurate arm.

As for Pickett, the whole league told us what they think about him. The Eagles got Pickett & a 4th for a 3rd & two 7ths. Essentially, Pickett with two years of starting experience and two years left on a rookie deal could have been had by any other team for a high 4th rounder. That is cheap! Pickett apparently wasn't mature and not much of a leader either. He refused to suit up as a backup at the end of the season when Mason Rudolph was starting ahead of him. So when Pickett asked for a trade, the Steelers traded him with surprising speed.
sounds a lot like Baker Mayfield's trajectory. Tomlin has an extremely low tolerance for drama and I'll give you th there was some drama with Pickett. It might be that he was tired of being the primary scape goat for that offense and wanted out. In any case, I think picking up Pickett for a prayer was a good move. I recall at least one guy on the radio saying that the Vikings were interested.

Reactions: Dean Pope
their WR corp is definitely scary, i just have trouble seeing JJ be anything better than a somewhat decent starter.
We shall see. I am not going to argue against what you are saying. I don't remember the stat, but something like half of the QBs selected in the first round are busts. Somebody is going to be a bust-- I think a case can be made for every single one of this year's 1st rounders busting out. But with McCarthy, at least we can check a lot of boxes that will help him-- a decent head coach (I think), great WR corp, good offensive line. I've heard multiple analysts say that the Vikings situation was the most advantageous for a new QB to come into. So he has that going for him at least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT