ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Sunglasses

TravisWalker

All-American
Oct 25, 2009
In the market for some new ones and will be upgrading from the cheapos I have now.
I want them to be polarized and light weight. Any recommendations??

Reactions: leodisflowers
you had it right with cheap.
if you lose them often...like i do.
Agree here. If you lose them (like I do as well) you will be well served to get cheap ones.

If not I highly recommend Oakley Prizm. I had some (before the losing) Prizm golf lenses. Awesome. Lightweight, comfortable and the Prizm lenses are great. I think they have polarized ones. Maybe deepwater and shallow water for fishing I think?

Reactions: tpmcg
I order prescription sun glasses from SportRX every couple of years, they fit your lenses in just about any glass out there, they sell both....I try not to spend to much on them cause I scratch em up or lose em, like last week in California for instance...

Doc Brown specials, don't know if they're polarized
back-to-the-future-docs-glasses-2015-e1430177967136.jpg

Seriously though, Travis, if you're in Omaha Scheels has a ton of mid-prized ($50 on up) polarized glasses and good selection

I actually just got a pair of cheapo shady rays. They aren’t bad

I was hit or miss with Shady Rays. I lost 2 pairs of expensive ones due to a new puppy and me leaving them out and so switched to Shady Rays. They were decent for the price, but definitely prefer the more expensive ones. I will say their warranty is good though. Every pair that broke I got a new pair very quickly without much hassle.

Reactions: TravisWalker
Agree here. If you lose them (like I do as well) you will be well served to get cheap ones.

If not I highly recommend Oakley Prizm. I had some (before the losing) Prizm golf lenses. Awesome. Lightweight, comfortable and the Prizm lenses are great. I think they have polarized ones. Maybe deepwater and shallow water for fishing I think?
I still have my old ones. I think they are about 6 years old and are starting to show it. I just cannot stand the glare I get from driving in the sunlight. I heard polarized will cut down on that.

I still have my old ones. I think they are about 6 years old and are starting to show it. I just cannot stand the glare I get from driving in the sunlight. I heard polarized will cut down on that.
Some of the Oakley Prizm are polarized. Like the fishing ones I believe. They also have "everyday wear" non sports ones that might be polarized too.

www.blenderseyewear.com

These are decent quality for the price and many are polarized. They're nicer than super cheap ones, but not as nice as like Ray Ban's or other designer ones. Also, since you'll only be spending $50 max on these, you won't feel horrible if you lose them or break them.

Reactions: keilwitzg and WHCSC
Im a big fan of Wiley x sun glasses, not overly expensive and they are very durable, I have went through three pairs, each one has been either lost or chewed on by my dog, my first pair lasted for over three years... look them up on amazon you’ll like them

Shady Ray's are decent for the money. If you have a Costco membership they have a pair of "puma" glasses that have really really nice lenses for the money. They are manufactured by someone else and are around $40. If you want to spend a little more Maui Jim sports are amazing.

Why does a pair of sunglasses cost more than a 25 inch color television set?
25 inch? And color? Dang................. Showing our age with 25" and color being a thing. Lol But just giving you a hard time. Im sure the 13" black and white I first played my Atari on was more than some sunglasses today.

If you are just looking for everyday, go cheap. If you are looking for glasses for fishing, etc., then Smiths or Costas are my go to.

This. I fish the great lakes a lot and used to have a cheap pair of sunglasses. Got a pair of Costas -- after the first few times wearing them I wondered where they had been all my life. They have some great deals for costas on sierra trading post. At least they used to.

meh. I wore Oakleys for years and had 3 pairs of one style in particular because I scratched the lenses so frequently. Then they pissed me off by changing the frame style so I couldn't get replacement lenses anymore. I haven't bought a pair of Oakleys since and that's been at least 15 years. I hit the cheap sunglasses rack at Cabela's and can always find a nice pair for $20 or less that is polarized, comfortable and look reasonably good. Then I don't swear when I scratch or break them.

Reactions: tpmcg
Oakley and Ray-Ban are owned by Luxxotica. I had a pair of Oakley prizm deep waters and they broke. They didn't offer any assistance. I have a pair of Costas, and I dropped them at work. I had to pay roughly $12 to send them in for repair with the understanding it may be more. They sent me a brand new pair about a week later and didn't charge me more. I have a pair of Maui Jim's now, and I believe they are the only ones approved by the skin cancer foundation. I had basal cell removed from below my eye lid, so it got my attention. I work outside, and I notice a difference between wearing the Costas and Maui Jim's. I have heard good things about Smith optics, but I bought the Maui's due to the whole skin cancer thing.

Oakley and Ray-Ban are owned by Luxxotica. I had a pair of Oakley prizm deep waters and they broke. They didn't offer any assistance. I have a pair of Costas, and I dropped them at work. I had to pay roughly $12 to send them in for repair with the understanding it may be more. They sent me a brand new pair about a week later and didn't charge me more. I have a pair of Maui Jim's now, and I believe they are the only ones approved by the skin cancer foundation. I had basal cell removed from below my eye lid, so it got my attention. I work outside, and I notice a difference between wearing the Costas and Maui Jim's. I have heard good things about Smith optics, but I bought the Maui's due to the whole skin cancer thing.

Unfortunately Luxxotica doesn't have to offer much customer service, because they are the largest eyeglass company in the world.

Many high-end companies have contracted Luxxotica to make their frames. They make great frames, but you also have to pay for the name.

These are Luxxotica brands..
The company also makes eyewear under license for the following designer labels:

meh. I wore Oakleys for years and had 3 pairs of one style in particular because I scratched the lenses so frequently. Then they pissed me off by changing the frame style so I couldn't get replacement lenses anymore. I haven't bought a pair of Oakleys since and that's been at least 15 years. I hit the cheap sunglasses rack at Cabela's and can always find a nice pair for $20 or less that is polarized, comfortable and look reasonably good. Then I don't swear when I scratch or break them.

I've always thought a lot of Oakley's were sorta ugly, with their strange lens shapes. I've always liked retro frames, and Oakley is more modern looking.

Reactions: RothMatt
I’ve had Wiley x polarized prescription safety sunglasses working with the power company for quite a few years. They look descent are very comfortable and durable. I usually replace the lenses in them and keep the frames for 2-3 years. They’ve been very good.

i have a pair that were less than 20, not really stylish, but i love them because i havent lost them (or broke em).

I've always thought a lot of Oakley's were sorta ugly, with their strange lens shapes. I've always liked retro frames, and Oakley is more modern looking.
I used to wear the old style frogskins. They gave great impact and UV protection in the amber and were so comfortable that I sometimes would forget I had them on when driving and it got dark out. I would think, man the headlights aren't as bright as they should be then realize why. I don't care for most of their recent styles either.

I broke my revo and gold plated ray bans....so it's the $17 dollar ones on the grocery store rack, here on out

I have worn Maui Jims for years starting when I lived in Summit County CO. Bolee before that. I used to think cheap glasses were the way to go, but I found that spending a couple hundred dollars makes me take better care of them and the eye protection is worth the cost to me. I have had my current pairs for 8 and 12 years and am rarely outside without one or the other pair.

I have worn Maui Jims for years starting when I lived in Summit County CO. Bolee before that. I used to think cheap glasses were the way to go, but I found that spending a couple hundred dollars makes me take better care of them and the eye protection is worth the cost to me. I have had my current pairs for 8 and 12 years and am rarely outside without one or the other pair.
No doubt about spending for the quality being worth it. Some things like Saran Wrap just can't be compromised. I wore RayBan Wayfairers for years, but then replaced them with RayBan Preditors for mototcycling due to them being more wrapped. Each pair lasted 7-10 years and I still mow my lawn with my last pair of Wayfairers. My Preditors wore out and I wanted to replace them but I could tell RayBans turned to crap. They still had Preditors but they were much flimsier than before. I went with Revo Borders about seven years ago and they have served me well. I've sat on them a couple times on my car seat and they didn't break. Living in SoCal and skiing a lot made a good set of shades essential.

If you are just looking for everyday, go cheap. If you are looking for glasses for fishing, etc., then Smiths or Costas are my go to.

I second the vote on Costas. They have GREAT lenses if you plan to be on or around the water. But they aren't cheap. I use a pair of Warby Parker (prescription) for everyday banging around. Nice glasses that aren't too expensive.

Yeah but you're a lawyer and rarely do any real work with sunglasses so your opinion doesn't count. If all I did was chase secretaries and lie to judges I would wear expensive sunglasses too.....come to think of it why didn't I go to law school. I aced the LSAT:confused:

Reactions: JDskibum
the virus is fine--im back at work. an employee had to stay home with flu symptoms and fever--may have covid19 perhaps. I work for DoD, Army is in Healthcon B with some C properties. no groups larger than 10, 2 entry points to hospital all being screened. no visitors only patients and employees. MWR gyms all closed

don't believe the hype and hysteria folks. immune suppressed---yep higjer danger but like I said before ive had a tougher time with common man flu

remember folks that the great majority of the early deaths out here were at a Life Care Center. All of the fatalities were very very sick. All of the fatalities were receiving palative care. All of the fatalities were on DNR orders. So there were no life preserving measures taken in these cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT