ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Starlink. Good? Bad? Thoughts.

cruelhalo

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 27, 2003
Have some experience with it. Seems fairly strong. Thinking for home for sure.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Jaemekon
no personal experience with it, but it seems good.

My wife grew up in remote NW Kansas, beautiful area with very few people and lots of hills. A guy I know there has Starlink and says it works well. I understand it is not cheap.

My wife grew up in remote NW Kansas, beautiful area with very few people and lots of hills. A guy I know there has Starlink and says it works well. I understand it is not cheap.
$600ish for hardaware and then $120 per month. Our company uses it for some remote projects and I tried it on a few visits and it seemed fast as fug

My friend in a semi-remote area has it and it’s a lot better than his wired provider is. His speed varies a bit but it’s generally between 35-80 Mbps

Reactions: cruelhalo
want to buy stock in it..but only Tesla employees can...pretty much every ship is going to go to starlink

Reactions: GBRforLife1
My cousin has had it for a while. Living in a rather remote area he really likes it. I think it depends on what other Internet alternatives you have. I use Verizon 5G right now and love it. I'll be using fiber optic cable once I move to a new location. But if I didn't have those options which I think are better and cheaper, I'd definitely be looking into Starlink.

If I lived in a place where it was starlink or slow ass dsl/cable or god forbid worse, I'd talk my Mrs into it.

Thankfully I have a symmetrical 1Gb fiber plan for $95. Not exactly cheap, but it's fast :)

Isn't the area it serves limited? At least currently?
I guess they have 4k satellites up (so there's some disruption in high use areas) and are looking to put 30k satellites up..
but..as seen in this video folks are switching over...them gigantic round things on the top of yachts are getting replaced..hey can get net flicks in the arctic circle now cause of starlink..

Last edited:
If I lived in a place where it was starlink or slow ass dsl/cable or god forbid worse, I'd talk my Mrs into it.

Thankfully I have a symmetrical 1Gb fiber plan for $95. Not exactly cheap, but it's fast :)
I like the idea of paying for a single internet and taking it with me when I go to my vacation house. I guess I’m cheap.

Reactions: IM4NUalways
Have it on our farm. We are in the middle of nowhere and in a valley ringed by mountains. Starlink is fantastic. Works great.
This is good to hear... I've been looking hard at it for my cabin. The valley and trees doesn't even let a phone signal in so I was needing something like this...

Starlink is so effective globally that both Russia and China have developed plans to shoot down the satellites if war breaks out between the countries.

• Angry
Reactions: huntered
This is good to hear... I've been looking hard at it for my cabin. The valley and trees doesn't even let a phone signal in so I was needing something like this...
We have an issue with cell phone reception on our farm too. The phone part is decent but the data reception is awful outside of WiFi. So I was skeptical Starlink would work. But it works great. It is way better than DSL but not as good as high speed fire optic internet. But it really does work.

Reactions: ADV1
The country in and around St. Francis is exceptional. I considered purchasing property near there because I like it so much. Would prob need Starlink.
Yea I graduated from St. Francis HS. I lived 2.5 years there. North east almost on the Kansas Line. Close to Haigler, NE. The Arickeree (SP) Breaks. Awesome place.

I was curious of the poster's wife was from there. Like small town NE it's hard not to know everyone.

Reactions: Crisker
You would still need a clear line of sight, right?

Yea I graduated from St. Francis HS. I lived 2.5 years there. North east almost on the Kansas Line. Close to Haigler, NE. The Arickeree (SP) Breaks. Awesome place.

I was curious of the poster's wife was from there. Like small town NE it's hard not to know everyone.
Big Ed’s in nearby Bird City used to be a great place to stop for steaks.

Reactions: IM4NUalways

Good ole Sainty! I lived in Goodland for many years - two different times. Wife was raised a Red Devil in Oberlin and we still get back there to the farm. Haven't been to Sainty for many years, the mexican food place on the hill was the big attraction and of course Big Eds in Bird. Also, loved the Sainty golf course back in the day when I played often. I grew up in the Lebanon/Danbury area and we played Haigler my senior year. It was like the middle of no-where and still is.

Love the breaks, that is beautiful country up there. I would love to live in that area. I am going to guess land is scarce and expensive.

Starlink is so effective globally that both Russia and China have developed plans to shoot down the satellites if war breaks out between the countries.
Yeah how long do you think itvwill take to shoot down 30,000 satellites in space?

• Haha
Good ole Sainty! I lived in Goodland for many years - two different times. Wife was raised a Red Devil in Oberlin and we still get back there to the farm. Haven't been to Sainty for many years, the mexican food place on the hill was the big attraction and of course Big Eds in Bird. Also, loved the Sainty golf course back in the day when I played often. I grew up in the Lebanon/Danbury area and we played Haigler my senior year. It was like the middle of no-where and still is.

Love the breaks, that is beautiful country up there. I would love to live in that area. I am going to guess land is scarce and expensive.
I just took 36 to Phillipsburg then dropped 183 down to 9 today on way back to AZ. I dig the rolling hills, very beautiful and sparsely populated which makes it appealing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT