ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Scottie Scheffler just got Barney Fyfe’d.

If I would get a new driver, would look hard at the Ping g430 or whatever they're up too. Love Ping drivers
Irons? I'd go Srixon. Probably zx5 with zx7 in pw and aw.
Wedges? Not sure. Still have my U.S. spec Japanese made Zodia wedges.
Hybrids? Love tour edge exotics CB2 or 3.
I've always been a Vokey wedge guy. They fit my sight lines well. That is one thing I will probably never deviate from again. I tried a bunch many years ago and just didn't like it.

My bag currently is:

Takomo 301MB irons
TM SIM Hybrids
TM M1 Driver - Old as hell, but just still hit it good
TM M6 3W
Vokey Wedges - 56 & 60
Scotty Delmar Putter / TM TP Black Balboa

I've always been a Vokey wedge guy. They fit my sight lines well. That is one thing I will probably never deviate from again. I tried a bunch many years ago and just didn't like it.

My bag currently is:

Takomo 301MB irons
TM SIM Hybrids
TM M1 Driver - Old as hell, but just still hit it good
TM M6 3W
Vokey Wedges - 56 & 60
Scotty Delmar Putter / TM TP Black Balboa
Vokey sand and gap wedges are great.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
If I would get a new driver, would look hard at the Ping g430 or whatever they're up too. Love Ping drivers
Irons? I'd go Srixon. Probably zx5 with zx7 in pw and aw.
Wedges? Not sure. Still have my U.S. spec Japanese made Zodia wedges.
Hybrids? Love tour edge exotics CB2 or 3.
I still have the old Ping Zings I inherited when we bought my son a new set of TM blades.

Shaping up to be an exciting finish at the U.S. Open. Don’t really care who wins, but Dechambeau has been lucky as Hell getting good lies in the junk all day.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Still have my Ping ISI BeCu (beryllium copper).

Haven't played them in forever but can't bring myself to get rid of them as they can't make BeCu or BeNi clubs anymore.
I've played with those. Idk why some are so nostalgic over them. It'd be one thing if they were the best clubs but theres better out there.

b.d. was the winner. rory missed a couple 3-footers gift wrapping it for him. really disappointing ending for traditionalists like me. sports seem to be in complete turmoil, golf included. wnba is a culture war. private firms buying conference equity. leagues evolving into cross country flyovers. college players paid millions. nothing is sacred. yeah, i'm old.

Pretty sure Bryson won it. The bunker shot on 18 was fantastic. Took a lot of nuts to pull that off.
I knowOP is not a LIVfan But it doesn’t change the fact Rory bogeying 3 out of 4 last holes and missing 2 putts in that stretch that didn’t total 6 ft . That being said the par on 18 was incredible. Bryson himself said the sand shot on 18 may have been the best shot he has ever made. Both can kind of be true.

I knowOP is not a LIVfan But it doesn’t change the fact Rory bogeying 3 out of 4 last holes and missing 2 putts in that stretch that didn’t total 6 ft . That being said the par on 18 was incredible. Bryson himself said the sand shot on 18 may have been the best shot he has ever made. Both can kind of be true.
YEah, but it's also the US Open. Bogies are going to happen. Bryson also kept it together.

Reactions: king_kong_
YEah, but it's also the US Open. Bogies are going to happen. Bryson also kept it together.
Oh absolutely Bryson kept together and Rory didn’t. And as you say bogies happen in the open. But let’s not kid ourselves even in that tournament missing 2 3 ft puts are almost non existent. I like Bryson and hope he continues his success.

I would of won if I just putted, drove and chipped better
I didn't watch much of it due to family stuff but I hate it when they make the greens so ridiculous that guys who hit good shots have them wind up in a bunch of scruff off the green. I think it ends up being way too much about luck on where their shots land than it does about the entirety of their game. When the difference of a foot on a 150 yard iron shot to a green means a birdie versus a double bogey, I don't think it's a fair test. JMO. There were a couple of holes that looked like the only way you were stopping the ball near the pin was if it went in the hole.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I didn't watch much of it due to family stuff but I hate it when they make the greens so ridiculous that guys who hit good shots have them wind up in a bunch of scruff off the green. I think it ends up being way too much about luck on where their shots land than it does about the entirety of their game. When the difference of a foot on a 150 yard iron shot to a green means a birdie versus a double bogey, I don't think it's a fair test. JMO. There were a couple of holes that looked like the only way you were stopping the ball near the pin was if it went in the hole.
my view is opposite yours. i love the u.s. open for this very reason. it is so difficult. it requires a degree of perfection not found at the other three. the pga was actually a laugher setup, not a major. the british is like the us. open though. links golf. weather. different. the master too is difficult if the weather is up.

the setup makes the tournament. there's nothing more boring to me than the waste management. nothing but a thunder pump for saturday night live viewers. give me the toughest courses that challenge and bring elite play like b.d. yesterday.

Reactions: Wasker77
my view is opposite yours. i love the u.s. open for this very reason. it is so difficult. it requires a degree of perfection not found at the other three. the pga was actually a laugher setup, not a major. the british is like the us. open though. links golf. weather. different. the master too is difficult if the weather is up.

the setup makes the tournament. there's nothing more boring to me than the waste management. nothing but a thunder pump for saturday night live viewers. give me the toughest courses that challetnge and bring elite play like b.d. yesterday.
There's a way to be tough without being punitive. There was a HUGE element of luck involved with how that course was setup and how fast the greens were. Yeah it rewards great touch around and on the greens but damn it was way over blown. I get that they all played the same course but it ended up going to a guy that missed 75% of the fairways on Sunday. IF they're going to penalize a golfer I want to see that penalty taken for bombers who can't find a fairway instead of guys making good shots to the middle of a green to have it roll 30 yards off. It makes no sense to me.

There's a way to be tough without being punitive. There was a HUGE element of luck involved with how that course was setup and how fast the greens were. Yeah it rewards great touch around and on the greens but damn it was way over blown. I get that they all played the same course but it ended up going to a guy that missed 75% of the fairways on Sunday. IF they're going to penalize a golfer I want to see that penalty taken for bombers who can't find a fairway instead of guys making good shots to the middle of a green to have it roll 30 yards off. It makes no sense to me.
b.d. was fortunate with his drives. granted. i don't know how he missed that badly and still won? i give it up to his overall play. his short game was outstanding. rory's sucked at the end.

I agree. Now while I am not in the fairways much I still agree there should be major punishment for missing that badly. But hey he made the shots when he had to and Rory didn’t.

See my prior comments somewhere on this Board about how the USGA / PGA could set up a course to be tough (although Pinehurst #2 is not the best example). Essentially, have different length of rough at strategic spots on the course. Nothing says the roughs need to be a uniform height. Longer hitting players will still have an advantage over the shorter hitters, but at least it will make the bombers think about things and whether to just swing away.

Unfortunately, with technology (mostly) and fitness (somewhat), the only way to make a course tough is to make the greens lightning fast. The governing bodies should seriously consider not having the golf course in pristine condition. Nothing says all the bunkers have to be perfect. In fact, there should be some variation as to their condition. Even the worst PGA player, or LPGA, or D1 golfer have no problem and they are no longer a "penalty area". If one bunker has soft sand and another bunker has hard sand, a player will need to think a bit more on how to play a shot.

Of course, the above is easier said than done.

Last edited:
See my prior comments somewhere on this Board about how the USGA / PGA could set up a course to be tough (although Pinehurst #2 is not the best example). Essentially, have different length of rough at strategic spots on the course. Nothing says the roughs need to be a uniform height. Longer hitting players will still have an advantage over the shorter hitters, but at least it will make the bombers think about things and whether to just swing away.

Unfortunately, with technology (mostly) and fitness (somewhat), the only way to make a course tough is to make the greens lightning fast. The governing bodies should seriously consider not having the golf course in pristine condition. Nothing says all the bunkers have to be in perfect condition. In fact, there should be some variation as to their condition. Even the worst PGA player, or LPGA, or D1 golfer has no problem and they are no longer a "penalty area". If one bunker has soft sand and another bunker has hard sand, a player will need to think a bit more on how to play a shot.

Of course, the above is easier said than done.
truth. bunkers are an easy out for the pros. they should turn them into waste areas or tall grass bunkers which truly penalize bad shots.

truth. bunkers are an easy out for the pros. they should turn them into waste areas or tall grass bunkers which truly penalize bad shots.
Green side bunkers I would agree unless you just got a fried egg or sloped lye . But the 55 yd bunker shot that Bryson had is considered one of the toughest shots in golf. That why he said it was probably the best shot he had ever hit.

Reactions: AVeritas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT